PDA

View Full Version : On the road again

Zeke
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I have some bad news, guys. You may recall that our phpbb was recently exploited by hackers (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67947#67947) to break into the server. Well, it's not just our server and this kind of thing can't be going on. Antony's told me, and I reluctantly agree, that we have to get new forum software.

The problem is, which one? We've tried ikonBoard and it didn't work out; ezboard I just don't like much. phpbb is about the best free forum around. Paying for one is also an option... but, like freedom (http://www.crfh.net/d/20030221.html), security is expensive. If we were to get something like Invision or vBulletin, I'd need you guys to help pay for it, because they cost around $150 (plus a renewal fee each year if you want to keep getting the upgrades).

So let's get some suggestions. What forum systems have you liked elsewhere, and why?

MaverickZer0
05-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Ah...I don't know many non-php forums, but there's one I go to...it's hosted by, I think, ForumCo. http://www.forumco.com/
It is free, and it's a fairly good system--low crash, and as far as I know few security holes, but there's a couple of downsides, one of the main ones being that we wouldn't be able to upload our own avatars.
Example of forumco forum here: http://suzaknachan.forumco.com/default.asp

MmeBlueberry
05-08-2006, 01:21 AM
ProBoards (http://www.proboards.com) is free, but I've only used them in a very limited way, so I really have no clue whether they'd be a good fit for 5M.net or not.

A board I visit a lot uses vBulletin, and I really like it.

I'm figuring you want one vote per household, so I'm not voting in the poll.

Gatac
05-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Figure I can blow a couple bucks on it...no preferences, though.

Gatac

PointyHairedJedi
05-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I've got a spare kidney to sell if it comes to that. My knowledge of the pros and cons of forum software is very limited however, so I honestly could not make an informed choice even if I really, really wanted to (and I mean really).

Chancellor Valium
05-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Um, don't know much about the subject, but I did find This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software)...Hope it helps...

Also, would you be able to transfer threads or would that require manual reposting?

Zeke
05-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Heh, how encyclopedic. Wikipedia never fails to suck. Anyway, whatever we decide on, there's probably a database conversion tool I can get -- phpbb is enormously popular.

Antony runs a vBulletin and has recommended it (he says he plans to convert the Trek BBS to that system eventually, in fact). A license costs $180 USD. If we choose vB, it'll definitely take a while to gather the funds...

Chancellor Valium
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
I run a small forum of my own. If the fora and members need a place to stay for a while...

PointyHairedJedi
05-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Antony runs a vBulletin and has recommended it (he says he plans to convert the Trek BBS to that system eventually, in fact). A license costs $180 USD. If we choose vB, it'll definitely take a while to gather the funds...
I could afford to chip in half of that amount, if need be.

Starpaul20
05-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I might recommend InvisionFree (http://invisionfree.com/), a free forum host. It has a nice set of features, friendly support, and is easy to learn and use.

InvisionFree also offers a Domain Manager, so you can set it to point at a domain you own.

Zeke
05-10-2006, 12:58 AM
A license costs $180 USD. If we choose vB, it'll definitely take a while to gather the funds...
I could afford to chip in half of that amount, if need be.

../images/emoticons/jawdrop.gif

Wow. I don't know if I could accept that, but I'll keep the offer in mind.

(And speaking of offers, thanks, Valium, but we can stay here until we have a new board.)

Scooter
05-10-2006, 01:51 AM
I could afford to chip in half of that amount, if need be.I'll take the other half but you'll have to name a building after me. (Do you know there's a building at Rutgers called the Nabisco Food Sciences Building? I threw up when I heard about that.)

e of pi
05-10-2006, 02:30 AM
Apparently, all we need is a large envelope and a mailing adress.

KillerGodMan
05-10-2006, 02:45 AM
Payment can be as simple as all of us getting a Pay-Pal account and converting funds to USD

As for forums, Zeke; I've been part of a few invasion forums, I like them, but I don't know if it'll have what you need

ijdgaf
05-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Is this gonna be more euros? I'm not made of euros.

Sa'ar Chasm
05-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Is this gonna be more euros? I'm not made of euros.

Relax. It's quatloos.

Zeke
05-10-2006, 06:17 AM
IJD is referring to the fact that he paid for this year's fiveminute.net domain renewal. We're registered with GANDI, so we pay in euros.

Scooter, are you serious about paying the other half? As in Jedi's case, I wouldn't actually ask that much of you... but the two of you can certainly cover a large share of it.

Scooter
05-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Scooter, are you serious?Yep.

PointyHairedJedi
05-10-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't want a building named after me. I will however have to refer to you from now on as Zekey-buns or Zekebob Clockpants, depending on my mood at the time.

evay
05-10-2006, 01:23 PM
I'll pony up whatever you don't get from the other two, Z.

Derek
05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I voted "yes" and I'm certainly willing to chip in. Granted it sounds like I don't really need to since everyone else has already volunteered more than enough, but if we decide to split the cost evenly among all those willing (or something like that), then I'm willing to take a share.

Chancellor Valium
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
I'll chip in, but I'm a little skint at the moment...I also don't trust online stuff. Would an envelope and address do?

Will Triganic Pu do?

PointyHairedJedi
05-10-2006, 06:49 PM
In that case, Valium, it might be simpler to have me pay your contribution by PayPal and then send me a cheque, else you'd have to send Zeke a money order of some sort.

Of course, it could just be a fiendish plot by myself to learn your true indentity... :twisted:

Chancellor Valium
05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
What makes you think you could identify me?

And I could always convert some Sterling into Canadian Dollars at the Post Office, put them in an envelope, and send it 'Par Avion'...

Sa'ar Chasm
05-10-2006, 07:24 PM
And I could always convert some Sterling into Canadian Dollars at the Post Office

Or some pence into Canadian dollars...

I can chip in a bit. Might as well do something useful with it while I've still got it.

PointyHairedJedi
05-10-2006, 07:53 PM
And I could always convert some Sterling into Canadian Dollars at the Post Office, put them in an envelope, and send it 'Par Avion'...
So you don't trust "online stuff", but you're perfectly willing to send envelopes containing wads of money through the postal system? Oh, you're a funny chap sometimes Valium, you really are. :D

AntonyF
05-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone,

As I've said to Zeke "No phpBB on the new server", I thought I'd pop in and give a bit of info.

Zeke has explained why I'm anti phpBB, so don't need to go over that. But I am very pro-vBulletin for many reasons.
It's a very good system, adaptable and offers a lot.
Updates are pretty easy for the system.
They update a lot to fix holes, and sometimes not even their holes. They issued a patch recentlly to counter a problem with IE.
I have started to use vBulletin and, also as Zeke says, want to use it more and more. I can more easily manage the server if we're on systems I know and I can even help in keeping vBulletin up to date.
vBulletin allows import from phpBB.
You seem to have some very dedicated and helpful people here Zeke, so if you guys can help then that's very kind and I do recommend vBulletin.

If you need any help in terms of collecting money, Christian or I should be able to help. Otherwise my help will be technical, and I'll do whatever I can to make the process go more smoothly.

Antony

PointyHairedJedi
05-12-2006, 06:23 PM
You seem to have some very dedicated and helpful people here Zeke...
I'm especially super. :D

Zeke
05-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Wow. You guys are really something.

I've decided to go with vBulletin for simplicity's sake and because Antony will be able to help with it. We have more than enough contributors now, and I've contacted them to organize the payment. The server change is happening on Monday; it shouldn't take long to get the vBulletin running, but don't panic if the forum is down for a day or two.

ijdgaf
05-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Question:

Will all the current posts disappear?

Zeke
05-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Will all the current posts disappear?

No. Everything in the database should be importable, except mod-based things like country flags, member titles, and such.

Gatac
05-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Oh yeah...so a round of new member titles for everyone, then? :)

Gatac

Ginga
05-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Oh yeah...so a round of new member titles for everyone, then? :)

Gatac

Hopefully not after waiting for almost a year. :(

ijdgaf
05-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Hooray, I do love a set of fora with a substantial quantity of archives to peruse.

Seriously. Damn useful.

mark726
05-18-2006, 07:12 AM
I can pitch in a few bucks, but not much, unfortunately. Curse me being a poor college student.

PointyHairedJedi
05-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Sell a kidney or something, you hippy. :P

Chancellor Valium
05-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Some of us aren't made of kidneys - just 'cause you've got seven...Ruddy freak accidents during regeneration...

:P

PointyHairedJedi
05-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Next you'll be telling me that you don't have five hearts either (which is sorta funny anyhow, because people are always telling me I'm all heart).

Zeke
05-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Ladies and gents, I have purchased a vBulletin license. Many thanks to all who contributed; you'll be hearing from me about how the distribution shook out.

Chancellor Valium
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Next you'll be telling me that you don't have five hearts either (which is sorta funny anyhow, because people are always telling me I'm all heart).

Just the two, thank ye.

Zeke: Is there somewhere I can send you some money?

Zeke
05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Actually, Valium, we have enough people paying by PayPal that I think we may as well not bother with anything more involved. Thanks for your willingness to contribute -- and you'll get another chance to pay me for stuff after the move, when I finally get that Fivers On Commission thing started.

mark726
05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Sell a kidney or something, you hippy. :P

Too little too late. I already thought of that to pay off my student loans :-p. I'm also down 1/2 a liver, a lung, and, for some odd reason, 3/5 of my appendix. Some guy just really wanted it...

PointyHairedJedi
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
I just like to collect appendixes (apendices? appendixii?) is all.

e of pi
05-27-2006, 12:33 AM
I just like to collect appendixes (apendices? appendixii?) is all.
It's apendices.

PointyHairedJedi
05-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Appendixii is so much more fun to say though.

e of pi
05-27-2006, 07:13 PM
You've got me there.

MmeBlueberry
05-27-2006, 08:37 PM
m-w.com says it can be appendixes or appendices. Not apendices, nor ap(p)endixii. And even if it were the latter, it seems to me that it would either be appendii or appendixi, not appendixii. Radius only becomes radii because the letter right before "us" is i, not because ii is added to it.

Of course, I like to refer to multiple DVDs that arrive in the mail as Netflices, so it's possible that you shouldn't listen to me.

PointyHairedJedi
05-28-2006, 11:29 AM
"Netflices"? Now I've heard it all. :P

Chancellor Valium
06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Including both the Answer and the Question?

PointyHairedJedi
06-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes. I'm not allowed to tell them both to anyone though (and as it turns out, that whole "42" thing was a complete crock).

Zeke
06-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Okay folks, it looks like the forum will finally move sometime today. Don't be worried if service is uneven as a result.

PointyHairedJedi
06-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Are we there yet?

Sa'ar Chasm
06-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Do we have to over those mountains?

e of pi
06-11-2006, 12:23 AM
How will this move affect the creation of the new version of the 5M.net skin?

mudshark
06-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Are we there yet?
So it would seem.

Edit: 'Twould also seem that I've acquired a couple of extra characters in my signature.

PointyHairedJedi
06-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Well, they're certainly unexpected. I wonder who they could be...

e of pi
06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Check the dramatis personae. That should tell what the extra characters are in some kind of detail.

PointyHairedJedi
06-11-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm going to have to do something bad to you now, I'm afraid.

NI!

e of pi
06-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Me too. *Flinches*

PointyHairedJedi
06-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Zeke, you eye-stabber you, you've been reading too much Cyanide & Happiness for your own good!

*Squeeze*

Celeste
06-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Nobody wins in gangsta bowls!!!

Ahh, Cyanide and Happiness. I love thee.

PointyHairedJedi
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
And make sure it's full of cream and baby rhinos!

...I think I'm getting my references confused now.