PDA

View Full Version : The Reference Explanation Thread

Zeke
08-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Okay, here's the thing. I was just rereading my "Conscience of the King" fiver and I happened to notice this bit...

<b>Riley:</b> (over the comm) Bleah. Another rotten day in the life of Riley.
<b>Sulu:</b> Foiled again, eh?

That's just the start of the scene, but here's the point: there's some kind of pun in Sulu's line, and I <i>can't remember what it is</i>. It's probably a joke on "foil" as in the kind of sword, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone get it?

Anyway, the reason for the title of the thread is that this got me thinking... when you read something with references in it, you can often tell there <i>is</i> a reference even if you don't get it. Some of you guys must have had that experience. So this will be a thread for asking about such bits, and the author or another reader will answer you. (The long-stagnant Jokes and References page served a similar purpose -- this thread might be a way to get more material for it.)

Use as you will -- and don't forget my question. It bothers me that I have no idea what I was thinking.

Sa'ar Chasm
08-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Could it be that Riley's some sort of comic foil for the other characters?

mudshark
08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Anyway, the reason for the title of the thread is that this got me thinking... when you read something with references in it, you can often tell there <i>is</i> a reference even if you don't get it. Some of you guys must have had that experience. Oh, yeah.

The thing which comes immediately to mind would be the "Sulu as D'Artagnan" (http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=25&pos=159) bits in "The Naked Time", in which episode Riley also figured prominently (but he wasn't in those particular scenes, so I'm not sure... )

PointyHairedJedi
08-14-2006, 09:41 AM
In response to a question that nobody asked (as the voices in my head don't seem to count):

The ending of 5MB5 "Eyes" -
(Garibaldi and Lennier do a wheelie in the stars at Ludicrous Speed)
- is a (not terribly complicated) reference to a book by Nicholas Fisk called Wheelie in the Stars which also happens to feature very prominently a motorbike in an SF setting.

There are probably questions about other fivers that I really want to ask, but I can't remember, so they'll have to wait I suppose.

mudshark
08-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Zeke, maybe this is it? From the fiver (http://www.fiveminute.net/startrek/fiver.php?ep=thenakedtime) for "The Naked Time", which had been published the day before:

Sulu: I'm taking up fencing because it goes so well with my rapier wit.
Riley: You already know I don't care about fencing. You just want me to act as a foil.
Sulu: Touché.
Riley: Sigh. Joe, please change subjects. Now.
Joe: I'm thinking of stabbing myself.
Sulu: See? Joe's interested in fencing. Will you use a thrust or a parry?
(STAB!)
Sulu: This scene quickly became non-funny.

Still can't think of anything else to which it might be a reference.

Edit: I just noticed that the menu at the bottom of the fiver has a link to Season 2 instead of Season 1.
Edit2: to include publishing date info

Zeke
08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Aha! That may very well be it. I'm sure I reread that fiver when I was writing mine, since it was the other Riley episode and I like doing cross-fiver continuity.

Mighty Jalapeno
09-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Family Guy:

Lois: Peter! He's charming! All british men are!
Peter: Yeah right... that's what they said about Benjamin Disraeli.

--- (cut to man writing at a desk circa 1850) ---

Benjamin Disraeli: [to the camera] You don't even know who I am.

Always struck me as maybe the best metajoke in all of Season 3, since Family Guy was famous (and infamous) for obscure references, and this was their way of sticking it to the die-hards and winking at those too young to get the jokes.

evay
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I finally saw "The Conscience of the King," so now I can read the fiver with some coherency, and Zeke, that was a GREAT job! Brimming with cross-references and good puns!

Zeke
09-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks! How'd you like the episode itself? IMO, it's one of the all-time classics -- just a great piece of Trek all round.

evay
09-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks! How'd you like the episode itself? IMO, it's one of the all-time classics -- just a great piece of Trek all round.
Other than some of the hoo-boy moments your fiver pointed out, it was quite good. "Sacrificing some to save others" is the kind of moral dilemma the franchise revisits several times, from different angles. "Revenge vs. justice" is another, although on Trek it's rare that the bad guy will ever entirely escape karmic retribution in some form. Joe Bob agrees with you to check it out.

mudshark
09-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Joe Bob agrees with you to check it out.
Four stars, with spray-bottle fu? ;)

NAHTMMM
07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
OK, I have several questions about Sa'ar Chasm's very funny version (http://www.fiveminute.net/b5/fiver.php?ep=grail) of Stargate's "Grail".

"Kosh": Seymour, feeeed me!
Deuce: I told you to stop calling me Seymour! I was going to let you feast on the tied-up magistrate here, but now I'm only going to let you eat his jeans.
"Kosh": Are they Levi's?
Deuce: Ha! You wish I'd let you eat topp of the line.
What's the reason for the double P? All that "topp" suggests to me is "baseball cards".
Jinxo: OhmygodCommanderyou'vegottohelpcomequickcowsgomoot hey'vegot- (deeeeep breath)- GrajicIcan'teatsandwicheswithmittensandtheVorlon's gonnaeathimIlikekittens...
Sinclair: Somebody take this man to Medlab, give him a belt of Scotch and a space bar, and see if you can make out what the dickens he's trying to say.
I caught the "Artful Dodger" bit earlier, but are there other Dickens references in there that I've missed? (While we're at it, is the line about sandwiches and mittens and kittens a reference to anything?)
(Heh. The software seems to have added a couple of spaces in that one line on its own.)

Gajic: Ouch...that's going to leave a stubb.
What's the reason for the double B? All that "stubb" suggests to me is . . . uh, there might have been a Stubbs in Moby Dick or something, but otherwise pretty much nothing at all.

Sa'ar Chasm
07-20-2007, 01:01 AM
OK, I have several questions about Sa'ar Chasm's very funny version of Stargate's "Grail".//quote]

B5. Not Stargate. :P Although I am watching Stargate right now. I only seem to get into shows after they've been cancelled.

[quote]What's the reason for the double P? All that "topp" suggests to me is "baseball cards".

What's the reason for the double B?

These ones are multilayered and related. The Seymore, feed me line is a reference to Little Shop Of Horrors. In the movie, the plant was voices by Levi Stubbs. Mr. Stubbs was the lead singer of the Four Tops, which, it turns out, is only spelled with one p, but doubling it in the fiver matches the Stubbs reference and draws attention to itself. I can't make every reference invisibly obscure.

I caught the "Artful Dodger" bit earlier, but are there other Dickens references in there that I've missed?

Naw, that's just gibberish. A hysterical stream of consciousness filled with various silly things that amused me at the time. I think I was channelling IJD's Aliens meme of having the anthrovores say "meow", which explains the kittens and why the fake Kosh keeps saying meow.

I'm not sure why I had Sinclair say Dickens - possibly a Far Side cartoon ("see if you can make out what the dickens he was working on"). If I wanted to maintain my reputation for inaccessible references, I'd imply that I put it in there to mislead you.

Nate the Great
07-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I was also in spit take territory. There are no SG-1 fivers on this site. Never have been, never will be.

By the way, has anyone ever made a Kosh/Koosh joke in a B5 fiver? Seems fairly obvious now that I think about it.

Sheridan: C'mon, you can tell me what you're really like under there!
Kosh: Okay, I'm really a giant ball of technicolor rubber spagetti.
Sheridan: Really?
Kosh: No! Zarquon, you are so dense!

Sa'ar Chasm
07-20-2007, 02:02 AM
No, but I stole Derek's crossword gag to compare Kosh to a sock full of sand.

Katy Jane
08-29-2007, 03:03 AM
From the Enterprise Episode: Azati Prime

When Archer is giving his farewell speech he says:
Tell your sister... you were right.

I'm sure this is a quote from something or atleast a mangled quote from something but i can't think from what... or maybe i'm just confused...

Zeke
08-29-2007, 03:54 AM
That's a reference back to the "Broken Bow" fiver. Archer is quoting his dad, who apparently still liked to use Darth Vader lines.

Wowbagger
08-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh, I'm going to love this thread. So many jokes missed over the years...

But, for now, I was reading my favorite webcomic today. Is this (http://xkcd.com/307/) a reference to FMV (yes, FMV, dammit!), albeit mispelled? Or is this just one of those random moments of serendip?

Good to see you alive, Zeke.

Nate the Great
08-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Looks more like a Star Wars reference.

I'd like to ask who came up with the word Kablazmo.

Katy Jane
08-30-2007, 03:30 AM
I think he was asking about the *Gack* part ;)

Nate the Great
08-30-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, I doubt it, because around here it's "Gak" not "Gack."

AKAArzosah
08-30-2007, 09:40 AM
I think Gack is just the noise you make when someone starts strangling you to death.

Nate the Great
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Well, for all nonlethal stuff I think we use Ack.

ijdgaf
09-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Sometimes I use TACK!

You know. To stick stuff to walls.

Nate the Great
09-03-2007, 05:33 AM
I thought it was pfffpt. That's my best approximation of the sound Spider-Man's webbing makes when it hits a surface.

Zeke
09-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Is this (http://xkcd.com/307/) a reference to FMV (yes, FMV, dammit!), albeit mispelled? Or is this just one of those random moments of serendip?

Oh, I'm well below xkcd's radar. If he ever reads this thread, he will laugh and laugh and laugh at the idea that I had anything to offer a juggernaut like him. Despite how much more experience I have and how similar our -- you know what? I'll just refer you to my previous rant (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showpost.php?p=74045&postcount=148).

Nate: "Kablazmo" was just standard fiver randomness. There really is no accounting for sound effects.

Good to see you alive, Zeke.

I live! I HUNGER! (http://www.angryflower.com/coffee.gif)

Nate the Great
09-03-2007, 12:02 PM
A guy can dream, can't he?

Nexus: Ready or not, here I come!
Missile: Okay!
Enterprise-D: Kablazmo!
Missile Launcher: Kablazmo!
Veridian Star: Kablazmo!

Oh, and Wowbagger, it's stated quite clearly in the Glossary that FMV is Full Motion Video, and no matter how much I might dream about videofivers, they won't be happening soon. We used to be 5MV, emphasis on the "5."

Wowbagger
10-11-2007, 06:10 AM
Oh, and Wowbagger, it's stated quite clearly in the Glossary that FMV is Full Motion Video, and no matter how much I might dream about videofivers, they won't be happening soon. We used to be 5MV, emphasis on the "5."

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

Also, comic books are halfway to video.

New point:

Khan: Now that I've beamed to my ship and revived all of you, let's do a role call. Gomez?
Gomez: Here.
Khan: Phyllis?
Phyllis: Here.
Khan: Jebediah?....

Kirk: Well, here we are on normal bridge duty.
Redshirt: (over the comm) Khan's escaped!
Uhura: There's nothing we can do to stop him!
Khan: (over the comm) We're draining your air supply as we speak, right Octavio?
Octavio: (over the comm) Right
Kirk: Well, here we are screwed on the bridge.

What is with these names? I know there's a Democratic representative from our state named Phyllis Khan. Are they all Khan names of immense obscurity or what?

NAHTMMM
10-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Never seen the episode, but I'd guess that given
Spock: Here he is: Khan Noonien Singh. Ruler of a quarter of the world, and the greatest of the genetically engineered tyrants.
and Hollywood's racial makeup during the 1960's, Khan's followers all looked like they came from the other three-quarters of the world. ;)

Sa'ar Chasm
10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Or possibly Khan's lackeys had weird names in the original episode, and GAFster ran with it and made them even weirder in the fiver.

Nate the Great
10-11-2007, 11:50 PM
We need a thread for "fiver jokes that occur to us years later." In this case, a counterpart to Paris' "Revenge of CONN" jokes, in this case, a CONN joke in the TWOK fiver.

Wowbagger
10-12-2007, 06:33 PM
You know, I'll bet we can use this thread. I mean, I really don't think we're exactly suffering from forum clutter around here.

Wowbagger
11-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Nate got me reading FM "Course: Oblivion". I never read most of the VOY fivers, I now realize, because, when I first found FMV, I hadn't seen most of the series.

Anyways, what's the double entendre here?

Janeway: Janeway to all hands: turns out we're all fictional.
Neelix: Let's hear it for double entendre.

ijdgaf
11-05-2007, 06:58 AM
FMV? Still?

As to those names, I honestly don't know what to tell you. I imagine my thought process went something along the lines of "wow, I wonder what kind of unusual names I can get away with using here." Sorry to disappoint....

Nate the Great
11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Would people PLEASE stop using F as a replacement for five? Please?

Nate the Great
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
And the double entendre is that they're A. Fictional characters in a TV show and B. Clones of other fictional characters. Hence it's like one cartoon character doing and impression of another cartoon character.

Wowbagger
11-08-2007, 01:55 AM
FMV? Still?

This site shall always, forever, be Five Minute Voyager. And its voice shall echo through time long after FiveMinute.net has faded to a dim! Memory!

<__<

As to those names, I honestly don't know what to tell you. I imagine my thought process went something along the lines of "wow, I wonder what kind of unusual names I can get away with using here." Sorry to disappoint....

No, it's cool. The names are, indeed, absurd. I just did too much reading into them.

Nate, thanks. That does make some sense.

Nate the Great
11-08-2007, 03:46 AM
I don't have any problem with Five-Minute Voyager nostalgia, it's the perpetual use of the inaccurate FMV instead of 5MV that bugs me.

Chancellor Valium
11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Wowbagger. What is it with you and Four Minute Voyager?

PointyHairedJedi
11-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Or even Full Motion Video.

Wowbagger
11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Is the first word of the website spelled "5ive?"

I rest my case.

And, yes, if anyone continues to promulgate this silly "5MV" concept, I will have no choice but to resort to drastic measures (http://fiveminute.net/thisjustin/17.html).

Nate the Great
11-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Spelling is not the point. Never was. The glossary says 5MV. It also says that it's not FMV. Not too many loopholes, are there?

Nate the Great
11-21-2007, 01:24 AM
I suppose this is sort of a PNQ, but it concerns a reference to one of my fivers, so we might as well open up this thread again. From my Blood Oath fiver (http://www.fiveminute.net/ds9/fiver.php?ep=bloodoath):

Kang: Whatever. I wash my hands of you... what's that smell?
Dax: That's soap. You wouldn't have smelled it before.

This is actually a very VERY subtle reference to another movie, placed there with the knowledge that nobody would ever get it. Yes, I'm ever so evil.

PointyHairedJedi
11-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Fight Club, maybe? That's the only soap reference that's floating across my mind right now.

Nate the Great
11-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Not even remotely. It's a reference to a very fine miniseries called The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205214/). At one point a group of leprechauns are going to a floating castle by riding inside a soap bubble (leprechauns can't fly, remember?), and one says "What's that smell?" Another says "That's clean. You wouldn't have smelled it before." It's a comment on leprechaun hygeine. This is a reference that I only included for my own sake, and I knew going in that nobody would get it. The habits of Klingons regarding cleanliness just seemed like a great place to indulge myself. Plus, I get the additional joy of implying that Kang may have been "softened" a bit by his interactions with humans by at least learning subconciously to distinguish between dirty smells and clean smells.

PointyHairedJedi
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
In which case, 'very subtle' was indeed something of an understatement.

Nate the Great
11-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Very very subtle? Ubersubtle?

mudshark
11-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Roger Daltrey as the King of the leprechauns? http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/mudshark58/smilies/laughing02.gif

Nate the Great
11-26-2007, 06:40 AM
No, Colm Meany (yes, that's right, Smiley O'Brien himself) is the king of the leprechauns. Roger Daltrey is the king of the trouping fairies.

Wowbagger
12-03-2007, 02:27 AM
Believe it or not... I've seen that movie. And I remember the line, now that you mention it.

(Freak.)

This is from Five-Minute "Azati Prime":

Archer: Oh, gimme a break. You again? What do I have to do this time, go back to the 1960s to stop Gene Roddenberry from shooting JFK?
Daniels: I'm more of a 40s man. But no, we're in the future, so I can explain something to you. I know how much you enjoy saving the future from yourself....
Archer: (nod) I'm a dangerous man.

I *think* there are two references here. "I'm a dangerous man" is obviously a quote. And the "40s man" just sounds like a punchline of some kind. Anyone?

EDIT: Also:

Bouncer of the Underused Characters' Tavern: Welcome back, Mr. Mayweather. Welcome... home.

I know I've heard that elsewhere. Can't remember where.

Nate the Great
12-03-2007, 02:46 AM
If it was possible (which it isn't), I'd almost say it was a reference to my fiver for His Way. Remember the discussion about what era Vic comes from? I know that the creators say '60s outright, but I STILL think that the '40s makes more sense.

Zeke
12-03-2007, 02:01 PM
I *think* there are two references here. "I'm a dangerous man" is obviously a quote.

Nope. I just thought it would be a funny deadpan answer. The running joke about saving the future from himself dates back to the "Shockwave II" blurb; my favourite use was in the <a href="../enterprise/haiku.html">haiku day</a> update.

And the "40s man" just sounds like a punchline of some kind. Anyone?

I'm pretty sure that was a reference to where Daniels would take them next -- World War II.

Bouncer of the Underused Characters' Tavern: Welcome back, Mr. Mayweather. Welcome... home.

I know I've heard that elsewhere. Can't remember where.

Entirely possible, but I don't remember a conscious reference there.

Wowbagger
12-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Thank you, Zeke. The 40's man makes goodsense, and I confess I don't actually have most ENT fivers memorized after "Cold Front," (Though I do, in fact, or at least did, have most of the ones before "Cold Front" down pat.) so the deadpan thing went right past me.

I would check into the Haiku Day thing, but that makes me laugh so hard I save it for semi-annual bad days.

Wowbagger
12-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Ovinoculatron?

Chancellor Valium
12-23-2007, 01:28 PM
If it was possible (which it isn't), I'd almost say it was a reference to my fiver for His Way. Remember the discussion about what era Vic comes from? I know that the creators say '60s outright, but I STILL think that the '40s makes more sense.

He's a crooner. That rules out the 40s, AFAIK. He could be '50s, of course....

Wowbagger
12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Heck, while I'm at it--does anyone here know how to pronounce "Sernaix"?

mudshark
12-23-2007, 08:39 PM
He's a crooner. That rules out the 40s, AFAIK. He could be '50s, of course....
I believe it's stated as being 1962 Las Vegas, but tail end of the 50s could work, stylistically. Absolutely not the 40s -- nobody sang that way then, never mind the fact that Las Vegas was pretty much nowhere until the Mob started building hotels and casinos there in the late 40s.

Chancellor Valium
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Entirely possible, but I don't remember a conscious reference there.

"Welcome back, X. Welcome...home.", I think is a DS9 line. I can't remember where from, though it could be "Second Skin". Either that or the one where Odo finds his people.

For some reason, the only two people I can conjour as saying it would be Dukat or the Female Shapeshifter. The more I think about it, the more option 2 seems likely.

@mudshark: Good to know that you know. :p

Nate the Great
12-24-2007, 01:09 AM
For me, I suppose, it's the fact that The Rocketeer established there to be gangsters in the fourties. In fact, Vic would feel right at home there, I think.

"Las Vegas was pretty much nowhere until the Mob started building hotels and casinos there in the late 40s."

Exactly! Mobs and casinos!

Sa'ar Chasm
12-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Vic was based on the Rat Pack, and is played by a junior member of the Rat Pack, in a setting the writers deliberately wrote to be Vegas in the early 60s. I have my DS9 Companion open in front of me right now, and I'm quoting Executive Producer Ira Behr.

It's the 60s. It's only the 60s. It was always the 60s. They specficially say it's the 60s in a few episodes.

Nate the Great
12-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged: A man can dream, can't he?

I'm not disputing that Word of God states 1962. I'm saying that in my warped judgement, Vic doesn't belong there. So what if I'm wrong, it's a notion I choose to keep.

Chancellor Valium
12-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Just don't expect us to protect you from the raving mobs of scientismists, Nate.

mudshark
12-25-2007, 02:37 AM
For me, I suppose, it's the fact that The Rocketeer established there to be gangsters in the fourties. In fact, Vic would feel right at home there, I think.

"Las Vegas was pretty much nowhere until the Mob started building hotels and casinos there in the late 40s."

Exactly! Mobs and casinos!
*sigh*

Okay...

1) The Rocketeer was set in the late 1930s (pre-WWII.)
2) It was also set in Los Angeles, where there were indeed gangsters at that time.
3) Las Vegas, which didn't even begin to exist as anything but a remote desert town until well after World War II, doesn't figure in that story, does it?
4) The Las Vegas depicted in DS9 did not exist as such until the time stated -- 1962 -- therefore Vic could not possibly have "felt at home" there at any earlier time, because that there wasn't there yet.

Now... is there anything I might have overlooked?

Nate the Great
12-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Apparently this whole "I know I'm wrong, but I'd rather be right" message I'm trying to get across isn't quite getting there. Moving on...

Okay, here's a reference question. What's up with Sybok and the Monkey? (There's a band name. :) Ladies and Gentlemen, it's Sybok and the Monkey!)

Chancellor Valium
12-25-2007, 05:24 PM
That's a PNQ.

More seriously, it's a parody, I think, of his rather overly-easy method of convincing almost everyone to follow him.

Nate the Great
12-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Well, it's not Persistant, nor Niggling, really, but I would like an Explanation for this Reference, so there.

Chancellor Valium
12-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Are you sure there's a reference there? Personally, I just took it as a rather quirky joke.

Zeke
12-28-2007, 04:19 AM
Heck, while I'm at it--does anyone here know how to pronounce "Sernaix"?

I say "ser-nakes".

On a per-lane.

mudshark
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Coming soon, on the Sci-Fi Channel!

Nate the Great
03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Okay, this isn't quite a PNQ, so I may as well stick it here. From my Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places fiver:

Worf: Why am I helping you?
Quark: I guess some twisted soul thought playing Pygmalion in reverse was funny.
Worf: They're right. I hate that.

Is this situation actually Pygmalion in reverse? Looking back on it, it almost seems as though a Cyrano joke would be a bit more applicable. Of course, the "twisted soul" part is completely accurate, because I'm the one that chose to five this episode in the first place. :)

mudshark
03-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Worf: Why is he asking them about premise for a fiver he wrote?

Just noticing that the "all Seasons" menu for DS9 is showing only a header and no actual menu.

Nate the Great
03-21-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm asking if I'm applying the joke correctly, or if my brain is just that warped.

PointyHairedJedi
03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
If? :p

Nate the Great
03-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Cheap shot, PHJ. Understandable, perhaps funny, but still cheap. I demand insults of much higher quality! ;)

PointyHairedJedi
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm a small, small man, I know. :(

mudshark
03-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Cheap shot, PHJ. Understandable, perhaps funny, but still cheap. I demand insults of much higher quality! ;)
You're going to need to provide higher-quality setup lines, in that case. There's nothing worse than a ziing which is out of balance.

PointyHairedJedi
03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Balance in the Force, and all that.

(Midi-whatnow?)

Nate the Great
03-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Like being offbalance has ever concerned me.

But to return to my original question. Pygmalion (i.e. the plot that My Fair Lady was "distilled" from (kudos for spotters of the reference)) is the Greek/Roman (is there really a difference, besides names) myth of a guy who fell in love with the woman he sculpted, so the gods gave her life. Is this really what Looking for Par'Mach is all about? There is no "sculpting" here, except possibly Worf molding Quark. I mean, this episode really is sort of Cyrano in reverse, in that it's the handsome guy tutoring the ugly guy (so to speak) in the ways of love.

Not that it's not a good gag, but I like my jokes to make sense on SOME level, even if it's a metally deranged one. This joke is just gibberish. Funny gibberish, granted, but still...

Nate the Great
04-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Okay, here's another one. From Five-Minute The Legend of Zelda:

Link: Alright, Ganon. It is down to you, and it is down to me.
Ganon: Yeah, let's see you try to hurt me -- OW!

If that's a setup to a Princess Bride joke, where's the resolution? It sure looks like a Princess Bride reference...

mudshark
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
...the Greek/Roman (is there really a difference, besides names) myth...
(Yes.)

Nate the Great
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Magic Eight Ball: Signs point to yes.

Yeah, parentheses can remind me of the weirdest stuff at times.

Anyway, you wouldn't care to elaborate, Muddy?

Derek
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Link: Alright, Ganon. It is down to you, and it is down to me.
Ganon: Yeah, let's see you try to hurt me -- OW!
Yeah, Link's line is a Princess Bride line, but that was basically it for the reference. In PB, the line is the start of the battle of wits between wesley and vizzini. But Ganon in the first Zelda (aka Gannon) is a pretty easy kill (as Link says in that same scene), so if anything Gannon's line is to show that what should have been an epic battle really isn't.

That or it's just one of my fiving rules: If I can't make it funny, throw in a reference to something else so that it seems clever.

Nate the Great
04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I guess that my brand of humor would dictate that a Princess Bride setup line reference requires a Princess Bride punchline reference:

Link: So, it is down to you, and it is down to me.
Ganon: It would appear so. You wanna just skip the battle of wits and cut straight to the epic battle sequence?
Link: Works for me. And by the way, I DO intend to cut right to it.
Ganon: GAK!

Hehe.

NAHTMMM
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
I've been re-reading the ENT fivers, and am ashamed to say I only just caught on to this reference in Five Minute "Twilight" (http://fiveminute.net/enterprise/fiver.php?ep=twilight):

Phlox: Because of transdimensional space parasites. That's why. They've taken up residence in your brain to eat your memories.
Archer: Will it hurt?
Phlox: OH yeah.

That makes at least two Triangle and Robert shout-outs on the main site. I want to say three, but the only other one I can remember is the inverted capital G in the "Dirty Pair" parody.

Zeke
11-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Awesome! I didn't think that one would ever be noticed. (For the uninitiated, it's a reference to <a href="http://www.froup.com/tr/tr.pl?48">this</a> classic Orpuddex strip. Man, I love that guy. <a href="http://www.froup.com/tr/tr.pl?228">Here's another one</a>.)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other references I've made in actual content. But I did once use "Ovinoculatron" as an Easter egg code word.

Wowbagger
02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
"I was even thinking of giving Ron Moore a call, although he's been a bit capricious lately." --TJI Brief #7

Was "capricious" a sly way of mentioning Caprica, or am I seeing references that aren't even there now?

Sa'ar Chasm
02-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Given Zeke's penchant for wordplay, I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Wowbagger
04-14-2012, 01:43 AM
From "Terra Nova Pre-Cancelled (http://www.fiveminute.net/thisjustin/b7.html)":

Reaction to the announcement has been muted, with most observers merely giving a jaded shrug. One of the few to weigh in was actor Anthony Montgomery: "Ever heard of Emily's Reasons Why Not? Disappeared in the early twenty-first century. How about Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos? 1992. Cut off in mid-pilot and no one ever found a trace. A lot of people spent years, decades, trying to figure out what those shows did wrong, but when it comes to unrealized potential, neither of them held a candle to Terra Nova. And we cancelled it! Woo!"

I just got this.

And feel like a total idiot.

Zeke
06-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Do you mean how it's all a riff on Mayweather's speech at the end of "Terra Nova"? Don't kick yourself about that -- it wasn't a great episode. I remember ENT S1 with an unusual level of detail because I fell in love with the show at first sight; I ate it up, even the weaker stories, because the characters and dialogue were so good. "Terra Nova" isn't particularly memorable on its own merits, and I only used it here for its title.

Oh, and you're right about "capricious".

Flying Gremlin
07-27-2015, 10:28 PM
"Terra Nova" isn't particularly memorable on its own merits, and I only used it here for its title.

Shale.

From "Patterns of Force":

Kirk: We need to get through to John Gill. Spock, any ideas?
Spock: Captain, remember.... Wenn ist das Nunstuck git und Slotermeyer?
Kirk: Sure -- yes.... Ja. Beierhund das oder die Flipperwald gesprut!
Guards: HAHAHAH-- GAK!

...the Funniest Joke in the World, right?