PDA

View Full Version : Voice of Fiver

Nic Corelli
05-07-2004, 06:24 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Masterful, Zeke. Brilliant beyond words! :D :D :D[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
05-07-2004, 06:45 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]:lol: Wow! It's like a huge work of modern art, only condensed to one-twelfth its original size! :lol:

The moral of the day: Canada's funny![/color:post_uid0]

Alexia
05-07-2004, 07:30 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]LOL, genius! Now if only you could sell it for millions you would be sorted!

Where did i put my rollers...bet i could do a nice "Voice of water"... :think: :lol:[/color:post_uid0]

Alexia
05-07-2004, 07:32 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Wow, thats only ever my 2nd post...gee, I'm lazy! :lol:[/color:post_uid0]

Alexia
05-07-2004, 07:41 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hey, anyone know how i can get my site link to actually turn into a link in my sig? :stupid: How i have managed to throw together a site i shall never know... :lol:[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]^ Try putting the http:// part in front.[/color:post_uid0]

Alexia
05-07-2004, 12:01 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Wow, never thought of that! Thanks ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane
05-07-2004, 01:29 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Good to see you again, Alexia. :D

Zeke, Its Incredible, I laughed, I cryed, I spewed coke on my computer screen! :p[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
05-07-2004, 07:51 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I don't entirely get it. Still, I'm sure it's reasonably funny, as is most modern art.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
05-08-2004, 01:50 AM
[quote:post_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"][color=#000000:post_uid0]I don't entirely get it. Still, I'm sure it's reasonably funny, as is most modern art.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]You know, there [i:post_uid0]is[/i:post_uid0] a link right at the bottom of the page that says what to do if you don't get it...[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
05-08-2004, 07:34 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Oh man. I remember that, and I think I was 7 at the time. X(

Raeside did a pretty funny editorial cartoon on it. Not as funny as his kelp one, but not bad. :D[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
05-08-2004, 11:05 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000:post_uid0]You know, there [i:post_uid0]is[/i:post_uid0] a link right at the bottom of the page that says what to do if you don't get it...[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I [i:post_uid0]did[/i:post_uid0] read it. Still don't quite get it.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
05-08-2004, 12:31 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]It's a painting Canada bought for a ton of money, but it looked like something that a two year old could do and the people of canada thought that they were wasting their tax dollars buying over priced "art." So Zeke, the lovely two year old (no offence intended), made his own over priced fiver for the canadians to buy to see if they would fall for it again.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
05-08-2004, 03:28 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]If I was aware of this "scandal" at the time it took place, I haven't managed to retain much. Not far different from some of the NEA hoo-hah (http://simr02.si.ehu.es/FileRoom/documents/Cases/338neafour.html) that was going on about the same time, though.
[quote:post_uid0]Raeside did a pretty funny editorial cartoon on it. Not as funny as his kelp one, but not bad. :D [/quote:post_uid0]Kelp? :confused:

Edit: to add link (side note: recognize one of the names?)[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
05-08-2004, 04:26 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Celeste"]It's a painting Canada bought for a ton of money, but it looked like something that a two year old could do and the people of canada thought that they were wasting their tax dollars buying over priced "art." So Zeke, the lovely two year old (no offence intended), made his own over priced fiver for the canadians to buy to see if they would fall for it again.[/quote:post_uid0]
I understand that, I just don't get why it's supposed to be funny. Perhaps I would if I were Canadian (heaven forbid :p ).[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
05-08-2004, 06:30 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]I gave the wallpaper in a picture I was coloring a look very similar to that once...[/color:post_uid1]

Nan
05-08-2004, 07:08 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="mudshark"]Kelp? :confused:[/quote:post_uid0]
June 15th, 1990 comic.

(Two people in a house, looking out through the windows as pouring rain soaks everything in sight. The lawn has been completely submerged.)

Woman: What are you planning to grow in the garden this year?...
Guy: Kelp.

Caption:"The nine-month monsoon season winds up."

Edit: stupid typo.

It's a BC joke. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Edited By Nan on 1084086087

mudshark
05-08-2004, 10:01 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000:post_uid0]It's a BC joke. :D[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]With some of the rainy seasons we've had in recent years (not nine months, but fairly ... concentrated), that one'd work for California, too. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli
05-09-2004, 01:41 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Speaking of Voice of Fiver... it reminds me of the time when our Arts teacher in high school desperately tried to convince us that a black square on white surface is not only art, but the greatest masterpiece ever. I so wanted to thwap her.[/color:post_uid0]

Wowbagger
05-10-2004, 02:33 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Speaking of modern art...

<a href="http://www.iht.com/articles/125374.html">This</a href> is a pretty good summary.

--
Wowbagger: You need to be Infinitely Prolonged to get responses from Zeke.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
05-10-2004, 03:21 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I wrote this for the OUC campus paper a few years back. It also contains a stealth reference to Voice of Fire. Warning: not safe for Fine Arts majors. It's not very long, or coherent, and doesn't really come to a good conclusion.

It didn’t take the Fine Arts students long to begin redecorating the campus. For those of you missed the…display in the Student Services foyer a couple of weeks ago, let me explain. A group of students spent several hours setting up – I don’t know what else to call them but ‘things.’ They resembled Shrek’s earwax candle, made of fired clay. They were arrange in a sinuous line, apparently marching towards another, larger blob of clay. This conglomeration had what appeared to be picture frames set in it. I don’t know what all this was in aid of, but it seemed pretty useless to me It’s not art until someone says ‘Yes, but what is it?” Then the so-called artist gets to turn their scorn on the rest of us Philistines who fail to comprehend their delicately crafted ‘message.’ OUC could find all the money it needs by axing worthless programs like Fine Arts. We’d also be rid of at least half that monstrosity of a building I complained about two or three issues ago. As you can probably guess, I have little or no use for art. Some may find that strange, seeing as how I used to be President of the OUC Drama club (come see our play – Laughter on the 23rd Floor, details coming to a poster near you). Maybe I’m just bitter because OUC only caters to the weird art forms and ignores the more Philistine-accessible subjects like drama and band (although they both have their lunatic fringes, like performance art, which is people standing in interesting positions). Band and drama also require actual talent, rather than merely painting stripes on a canvas and flogging it to the National Gallery for millions of ill-spent dollars.

Disclaimer: these comments do not apply to artists who can actually draw, ie, faithfully reproduce a three dimensional object in two dimensions using only pigments smeared on paper or canvas. I know many talented artists, some of whom will post sketches of me wearing a bikini if I don't make this disclaimer.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
05-10-2004, 03:58 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]A group of students spent several hours setting up – I don’t know what else to call them but ‘things.’ They resembled Shrek’s earwax candle, made of fired clay. They were arrange in a sinuous line, apparently marching towards another, larger blob of clay. This conglomeration had what appeared to be picture frames set in it. I don’t know what all this was in aid of, but it seemed pretty useless to me.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I think I've seen that one, or perhaps a cousin to it. It was on display as part of an exhibition of MFA thesis projects at SFSU. Wasn't the ugliest thing there, either.
[quote:post_uid0]So [i:post_uid0]you[/i:post_uid0] buy the Chair.
[/quote:post_uid0]Yep. :lol:[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
05-10-2004, 05:55 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]I know many talented artists, some of whom will post sketches of me wearing a bikini if I don't make this disclaimer.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]The pencil is mightier than the Mace. But not by much. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
07-24-2004, 08:47 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I actually went and saw VoF last month. It's huge. There's a little bar on the floor in front of it, possibly to prevent irate taxpayers from getting too close. Since Canadians are by nature polite and law-abiding, heavier security isn't really necessary. I made the stupid comment "Thank you for not spitting on the painting," and all the security guards followed my like hawks until I left the building.

Supposedly it's such a masterpiece because the artist used millions of individual brushstrokes to paint his stripes. I should be impressed because he's too lazy to buy a paint roller?[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
07-24-2004, 09:25 PM
[color=#000F22:post_uid0]Actually, that's kind of impressive if it was millions of tiny brushstrokes. The dude actually put some work into it.

Not much for the overall painting, though. S'boring.

[quote:post_uid0]Since Canadians are by nature polite and law-abiding, heavier security isn't really necessary.[/quote:post_uid0]

Oh, that's nothing. I saw REAL Da Vinci works (and a lot of reproductions) at the Royal BC museum and I swear there was, like, one guy there behind the velvet rope. I'm pretty sure [i:post_uid0]The Virgin of the Rocks[/i:post_uid0] was real, but I don't remember for sure. The real stuff probably came from the Queen's collection or something.

Even if he had mutant powers, one guy in a suit per room seems a little cheap. :)[/color:post_uid0]

KillerGodMan
09-12-2004, 05:58 AM
Exelent Work Zeke! This is something I'd pay to see!

Zeke
09-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Waaaaait a minute. KillerGodMan? Don't I know you? You wanted to do a fiver of Luigi's Mansion, right?

KillerGodMan
09-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Yep, I kinda got really busy, that and I changed my e-mail address...

Zeke
09-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Right. Well, you can still do that fiver if you want -- no one else has asked for it.

Lemme check my file... right, you also asked how Five-Minute Farscape came to be. That's covered in the 5MF FAQ (../about/5mf.html), which is out of date like most of the subsite FAQs but still has what you want. And you asked to be put on the update list, but you say you've changed addresses; is the "friedeggs" one still correct?

And who's that cool hooded guy in your avatar?

KillerGodMan
09-13-2004, 01:13 AM
my e-mail is now mrkyle@cogeco.ca

It's already a quarter done, so I guess I'll finish it

The hooded guy? He's one of the many characters you'll find at VGCats (http://www.vgcats.com) it's a great webcomic, many different games parodied there.

Zeke
09-13-2004, 03:27 AM
I've updated your address. Glad you'll be finishing the fiver.

VG Cats, eh? I read that strip -- funny that I don't recognize the guy. Can you link me to the one where he appears?

Draknek
09-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Linky (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=106)

It was a couple of weeks back.

Zeke
09-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Ahh. That would do it -- I've been unable to keep up with most of my webcomic regimen in the last couple of weeks, due to the move.

("Linky"? Blehh...)

mudshark
09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
(Phew! I'm not alone.)