PDA

View Full Version : Block 9 - You've never used them before

Zeke
04-13-2003, 01:20 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Time for a nice short block. Neo wakes up on Morpheus' hovercraft, the [i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar[/i:post_uid0], and the resistance leader welcomes him aboard. He explains that it's closer to 2197 than 1997 (they "honestly do not know" the exact year). Neo is introduced to those of the crew he hadn't already met. Morpheus then shows him the ship's Core, which is where they upload themselves into the Matrix; he says this is where Neo will find the answer to the "What is the Matrix" question. Trinity helps Neo into one of the chairs, and Morpheus, warning that it will feel a little weird, inserts a nasty-looking cable into the jack on the back Neo's neck (left over from his imprisonment in the fluid chamber -- all the crew have them).

Full transcript is here (http://www.hackvan.com/pub/stig/scripture/matrix/11-nebuchadnezzars-crew.txt) and the first bit of here (http://www.hackvan.com/pub/stig/scripture/matrix/12-the-real-world.txt). Definitely just one scene for this block.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
04-13-2003, 01:52 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]This is all I can think of at the moment:

Morpheus: Welcome to tonight's meeting of Matrix Anonymous, Neo! Introduce yourself to everyone here and accept our congratulations for your brave attempt to kick the habit!
Neo: Uhh, oookay. Hi, everyone, I'm Neo, um, I'm a hacker, and I stopped having the slightest clue of what was going on about fifteen minutes ago. Will [i:post_uid0]somebody[/i:post_uid0] please fill me in?
Morpheus: Okay, but it'll mean a relapse. Plus we have to do the scene before last all over again.
Neo: Hey, just as long as there isn't a mirror involved...[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
04-13-2003, 02:04 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Morpheus: We can rebuild him. We can make him better.
Dozer: Can we improve his acting skills?
Morpheus: I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker.

I don't really have a scene, just random lines and snippets:

Neo: I had the strangest dream! And you were in it, and you, and you...and the colour was so much brighter.

((Hmmm...Oz = The Matrix?))

The Core: combination of the Sonic Oscillator from Rocky Horror, Multivac from Asimov's stories, and features a Big Red Button marked PANIC.

Morpheus: This is where we get loaded.

This may be beyond the cutoff:
(Morpheus turns on TV)
Neo: I can see my house from here!

The scene with the battery demands a "keeps on going and going and going" line, even if the prop is Duracell rather than Energiser (this is the same battery we've had since the machines took over).[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
04-13-2003, 02:16 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] How am I? Where am I? When am I?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Fine, here, and can't tell you.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Why not?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Temporal Prime Directive.

or

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Welcome to the ship. Let me introduce Mouse, Switch, Tank, and Dozer.
[b:post_uid0]Cypher:[/b:post_uid0] And [i:post_uid0]I'm[/i:post_uid0] Cypher.
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Shut up. You're nothing to me.

or

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] This is my ship and these are my disciples: Peter, Paul, Mary, and Judas, who will betray me.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] God, you have quite the ego, don't you?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Who told you my real name?[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
04-13-2003, 02:38 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]** I think I like everybody else's scenes better.

** Derek, I [i:post_uid0]did[/i:post_uid0] get the Cypher joke. ;)

** In reference to Derek's third scene, poor Neo must be theologically confused no end by now... :lol:[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
04-13-2003, 02:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I was thinking of using a Bionic Man reference too Sa'ar :) - So I just merged my two favs :)

Morpheus: We can rebuild him. We can make him stronger, faster --
Neo: Wha -- Where am I? When am I? What's with the acupuncture?
Morpheus: Can't tell you.
Neo: Why not?
Morpheus: Temporal Prime Directive.[/color:post_uid0]

Trip
04-13-2003, 03:09 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hi, I'm Mark, or "Trip" and I've been reading 5ME and 5MV, but just discovered this. It looks like fun. May I join in?

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Am I dead?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] No.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Am I sleeping?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Yes.

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] What's this stick in my arm about? (pulls it out)
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] You have freed yourself from the hive!
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] What?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Kidding. Seriously, we're in the future. We freed you from the hive mind. The Borg had you and all those others. Got me so far?
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Uhh--
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Good. Because I failed English class, I don't know enough words to describe the Matrix. Can I show it to you?
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Well--
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] OK, come with me.

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] This is my cramped and pathetic ship, the Omygoshiforgottogiveitaname. And these are some unimportant characters.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] This is the Matrix? It sure is cramped and pathetic.
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] This isn't the Matrix! Although...

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] See this hole in your head? We have to plug you in here.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] You mean the hole between my ears?

I know it stinks. I have better stuff in mind for later scenes.

- Trip[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
04-13-2003, 03:42 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]I know it stinks. I have better stuff in mind for later scenes.
[/quote:post_uid0]

Oh, I don't know about that. I liked this:

[quote:post_uid0]Morpheus: See this hole in your head? We have to plug you in here.
Neo: You mean the hole between my ears?
[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
04-13-2003, 03:55 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Morpheus: Hold still now so we can undo all our hard work and plug you back in.
Neo: Hey! No way are you putting that thing anywhere near me! I don't wanna be re-assimilated! Seriously, guys, I'm scared to death of that cable! It's like I can hear it calling to me, "Come back, come back to the Collective, Neo"--no, wait, it's saying a different name...Locker, Location...Hey, anyone here named Locutus?
Cable: YOU are Locutus, Neo. Bwahahahaa!
Neo: Eek!

That was a bit weird. I'm gonna quit for now, to save everyone from a scene where the cable does the whole "I am your father" spiel with Neo. [img:post_uid0]http://3sygma.com/fiveminute/forums/html/non-cgi/emoticons/eek5.gif[/img:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Nan
04-13-2003, 04:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Y'know, the Matrix in the movie was tinted green, partly so you could tell that you were in the Matrix.

Maybe there should be some mention of that?

~Nan[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
04-13-2003, 04:18 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]And the real world was tinted blue.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
04-13-2003, 04:29 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Y'know, the Matrix in the movie was tinted green, partly so you could tell that you were in the Matrix.

Maybe there should be some mention of that?
[/quote:post_uid0]

Personally, I'm sitting on a Blue Screen of Death gag for their own personal artificial Matrix.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
04-13-2003, 04:55 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Wow. That's a [i:post_uid0]lot[/i:post_uid0] of responses in three hours. Not to bias the discussion, but my favourite so far is Derek's third, because of how well it ties in with the Trinity stuff earlier (as Nah observed). Oh, and for those who didn't get the "nothing to me" joke, "cypher" is an older word for the digit 0.[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
04-13-2003, 05:00 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]*Neo wakes up*
Neo: Are we there yet?
Morpheus: No, now go back to sleep while we finish rebuilding you.
Neo: I need to go to the rest room.
Morpheus: That's impossible, you havent had anything.
Neo: But I thought you will say that your mind makes it real

Morpheus: I see you are charged up, now let me go show you the ship and crew.
Neo: So what year is this anyway?
Morpheus: I can't say. Its sometime in the distant future.
Neo: So how did this all happen?
Morpheus: Can't tell you. Temporal Prime Directive.

Morpheus: And this is where we plug into the matrix
Neo: Can you play virtual reality games on it?
Morpheus: No, its more like the holodeck with the safety protocals off.
Neo: Where is the plug?
Morpheus: In your head[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
04-13-2003, 05:32 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Morpheus: Welcome to the future, Neo. This is my ship, the [i:post_uid0]Neversaynever[/i:post_uid0], and this is it's crew, Mouse, Switch, Tank, and Dozer.
Cypher: And I'm Cypher.
Morpheus: Shut up. You're nothing to me.
Neo: Boy do I feel wierd.
Morpheus: That's your acting skills. You've never used them before.

It could use some trimming, I know.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira
04-13-2003, 06:55 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Personally, I like Derek's first scene. I think it fits nicely with what actually is said in the scene.[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
04-13-2003, 08:29 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well - If it's between the Derek scenes - I'd prefer the first one to the third one. But, I still like Sa'ar's first one as well, but if there are no other votes for it (or the conglomerate I came up with) then I'm with Kira :)[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
04-13-2003, 08:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]But, I still like Sa'ar's first one as well, but if there are no other votes for it (or the conglomerate I came up with) then I'm with Kira [/quote:post_uid0]

Fairweather friend :P (j/k)

I vote for me, obviously, but Derek's scenes are tough to beat.

Edit: PHJ's conglomerate has potential as well. Sort of a gestalt Borg-like entity distilling several good lines into one somewhat unwieldy...I've run out of synonyms.[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
04-14-2003, 02:14 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Oh, you know you'd get it... if I had a comeback to that ;)[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
04-14-2003, 03:08 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I thought mine was good. Nobody likes my fivers :(

I do agree with everyone about Derek's fiver[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-16-2003, 09:52 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]This is all I've come up with...

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Guess what, Cypher! We've brought Trinity a love interest!
[b:post_uid0]Cypher:[/b:post_uid0] Hmmm. I recommend keeping him sluggish and disoriented, sticking him full of needles like a pincushion, and refusing to tell him what year it is.
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Heh, heh, heh.

However, I lend my full support to the line: [quote:post_uid0]That's your acting skills. You've never used them before.[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-16-2003, 02:07 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Or we could combine Derek's scene with the running gag:

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Wha--? Where am I?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] The question isn't "where?", Neo. It's--
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] "Follow the white rabbit who?"
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Shut up, Neo. The appropriate question is, "When?".
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Oh. When?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] I can't tell you. Temporal Prime Directive.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira
04-16-2003, 08:27 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Combining Neo being stupid, the knock-knock joke, [i:post_uid0]and[/i:post_uid0] a TPD joke? How can you lose? :D

The only change I'd make would be to have Neo say "When am I?" instead of just "When?".[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
04-16-2003, 08:49 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Neo: Am I on the Enterprise?
Morpheus: No, you are on Voyager.
Neo: Dang, im on a lost ship.
Morpheus: No Neo, we are underneath the ground on Earth.
Neo: So we are trying to reach the Core to save the world?
Morpheus: Reach the Core? No. Save the world? Yep[/color:post_uid0]

Wonko The Sane
04-18-2003, 04:26 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Zeke"]"cypher" is an older word for the digit 0.[/quote:post_uid0]
I'm thinking maybe we can still include that reference in a later scene. Perhaps something like this:

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Ha! Neo - 1, Cypher - 0!

Perhaps there could also be a Dr. Nick reference:

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Now this won't hurt a bit - until I jam this in your neck!

Oh, and I like Standback's version, with Kira's adaptations.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-18-2003, 12:13 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]The only change I'd make would be to have Neo say "When am I?" instead of just "When?". [/quote:post_uid0]

That was actually intentional, meant to make Neo sound more stupid, as in, "Oh. Umm... 'When?'" If we can find a phrasing that makes that work, great, if not, that's fine too.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
04-18-2003, 01:07 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Wha--? Where am I?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Shut up, Neo. The appropriate question is, "When?"
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Oh. "When?"
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] I can't tell you. Temporal Prime Directive.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] What?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Sigh.[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Wonko The Sane
04-18-2003, 07:52 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000:post_uid0]That was actually intentional, meant to make Neo sound more stupid, as in, "Oh. Umm... 'When?'" If we can find a phrasing that makes that work, great, if not, that's fine too.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]The more I think about your version, Standback, the more I like it! I'd say keep it the way it is then.

:D[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
04-19-2003, 01:57 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]That works for me. I'm a tiny bit disapointed that hardly anyone seems to like my 'acting skills' line, as I though it was rather good. I [i:post_uid0]am[/i:post_uid0] somewhat baised though.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira
04-19-2003, 06:33 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Actually, I, a staunch disser of Keanu Reeves, did like it. I just like the overall jokes in some of the other scenes better. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
04-19-2003, 07:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]I'm a tiny bit disapointed that hardly anyone seems to like my 'acting skills' line, as I though it was rather good. [/quote:post_uid0]

I thought it was good to, especially since you stole it off me :P

However, I can see which way the prevailing winds are blowing. Good job, Derek.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira
04-19-2003, 08:17 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]I thought it was good to, especially since you stole it off me :P[/quote:post_uid0]
Come, come, Sa'ar... isn't that what FBC is all about? :D

[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]However, I can see which way the prevailing winds are blowing. Good job, Derek.[/quote:post_uid0]

So, just to clarify, the scene we're all sort of leaning towards is this one, right?

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Wha--? Where am I?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Shut up, Neo. The appropriate question is, "When?".
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Oh. When?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] I can't tell you. Temporal Prime Directive.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-19-2003, 11:29 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmmm. Not bad for a kinda-debut... :eyeroll:

Shame about the acting-skills line, though - I really liked it, too. I tried to patch it intothe knock-knock scene, but it didn't work well.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira
04-19-2003, 11:39 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]There will be plenty of time to mock the non-existant acting skills of Mr. Reeves.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
04-20-2003, 12:13 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]In that case, I'll vote for this version.

Maybe we can even get in a "wood" reference later. :D ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-20-2003, 12:27 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]:D just in case anybody is unfamiliar with this...

http://www.rinkworks.com/movieaminute/m/matrix.shtml[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
04-21-2003, 05:58 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Hey everybody, look! Look at me! I'm in a movie that doesn't suck! [/quote:post_uid0]

Hmm... I happened to be quite a big fan of [i:post_uid0]Bill and Ted[/i:post_uid0] ;)

And, yes - the Kira clarified scene looks good to me as well :D[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-21-2003, 11:24 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Can we move on to Block 10 yet? That one looks like it'll be a lotta work...[/color:post_uid0]

Pteryx
04-21-2003, 04:16 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'd say almost, but we need to include Neo's being plugged in. A couple of lines will do. I suggest this:

Neo: Well, at least you finished the acupuncture.
Morpheus: Not quite yet. *jams a jack into the back of Neo's neck*

Now back to waiting for FFT chapter 4 to get posted... -- Pteryx[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
04-21-2003, 05:52 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Guest"]I'd say almost, but we need to include Neo's being plugged in. A couple of lines will do. I suggest this:

Neo: Well, at least you finished the acupuncture.
Morpheus: Not quite yet. *jams a jack into the back of Neo's neck*[/quote:post_uid0]

I dunno; I suppose it's all right. I had an earlier attempt at this, but it was longish and frankly rather weird. Several others have attempted it as well, though.

[quote:post_uid0]Now back to waiting for FFT chapter 4 to get posted[/quote:post_uid0]
I like the sound of that! ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-21-2003, 08:49 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I don't think we need to cover Neo being plugged back in. If we had a good scene, fine, but I haven't seen anything particularly funny, and we can do without it. Though if anyone has some great ideas, now would be the time../[/color:post_uid0]

Wonko The Sane
04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Saxamaphone"][color=#000000:post_uid0]And, yes - the Kira clarified scene looks good to me as well :D[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Agreed. I think we're done here.[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
04-21-2003, 11:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yes, we do have to remember the point of a fiver is to condense ;)

So - if there are no objections...[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-27-2003, 05:41 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Is there always a lag like this between blocks? It seems... innefficient. Oh, and also less fun. This would be the infamous "Zeke soon"?[/color:post_uid0]

Kira
04-27-2003, 07:01 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Also known as the "Kira has forgotten to poke Zeke with a stick" lag. I will add it to my "To Do List."[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
04-27-2003, 07:06 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]We all greatly appreciate you and your stick-pokery, Kira. :)

~Nan[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
04-27-2003, 04:04 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Indeed.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
04-27-2003, 07:28 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Is there always a lag like this between blocks? It seems... innefficient. Oh, and also less fun. This would be the infamous "Zeke soon"?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]There's a lag between blocks when I'm not sure there's consensus. This particular case is an exception -- I just hadn't looked at the thread and thought I had. But when it takes a while for one block to end, that's usually because I'm not getting the impression the discussion is over.[/color:post_uid0]