PDA

View Full Version : A rose by any other name... - Can we discuss the origin of names?

AKAArzosah
06-17-2003, 05:59 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Some of you people have names i have never heard and i was wondering what they mean, or what movie/TV show they're from, so maybe you could tell me?

PS: sorry about the rose thing :eyeroll:[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
06-17-2003, 06:35 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]"Akili":

Tanzanian Swahili. Root word [i:post_uid0]aki[/i:post_uid0]. Variants include: Zakiyah, Akil (Arabic, M), Akilah (Arabic, F). Average translation: "intelligent one who reasons." Meaning variants: very clever, very wise, intelligent.

"Morgana":

Gaelic. Root word "mer." Related names include: Morgaine, Morgan, Mariner, Murray, Marwyn, Marvin, Merlin, Merwyn, Marina, etc. Average translation: "comes from the sea."

;)

Nan is name nerd.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
06-17-2003, 06:59 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Sa'ar Chasm: rather trite pun on "sarcasm", stolen from a Fidonet tagline coined in the mid-90s.

Also a large hole in a coal rich district in Germany near the Belgian border.[/color:post_uid0]

AKAArzosah
06-17-2003, 07:11 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]well, Arzosah is the name of a dragon in a book series i read.

( Dragons, the third obsession! )[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
06-17-2003, 07:50 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Sa'ar Chasm: rather trite pun on "sarcasm", stolen from a Fidonet tagline coined in the mid-90s.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ha ha, like that is sooooooo clever ;)[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
06-17-2003, 08:52 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Nothing in particular. I thought it sounded nice. Actually, my friend made it up.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
06-17-2003, 12:16 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmm Catalina Marina sounds familer to me for some reason. Though it could be just messed up wiring in my brain. But anyone think it comes from a movie or play?

And btw Celeste is not my real name for all the newcomers. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
06-17-2003, 12:32 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well I could ask her, but it might take a while before I'd get an answer, because she went to Japan.

Celeste, where does it come from then?[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
06-17-2003, 02:37 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I think you all know where I got my name from, lol.[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
06-17-2003, 05:25 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Mine is pretty self explantory too - I originally thought it up for the Dilbert.com site back when their Lazy Entrepreneur section was still running. My AIM name stands for Spontaneous Random Manaical Laughter Syndrome Man, which I coined waaay back before I started using PHJ.[/color:post_uid0]

MmeBlueberry
06-17-2003, 06:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, for those who don't know French, Mme is the abbreviation for Madame. Madame Blueberry is a VeggieTales character. VeggieTales are kids' videos, computer-animated talking, singing, dancing vegetables (and fruits).

I use some variant of MmeBlueberry pretty much anywhere I have a login name.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
06-17-2003, 06:59 PM
[quote:post_uid0="catalina_marina"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Celeste, where does it come from then?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I roleplay in a star trek simulation group. I had a Bajoran character named Celeste. Everyone started calling me The Cute Bajoran, so that's where that came from. Then I have various nicknames that come from Celeste including Cele, Cecil and Leste once. o_O[/color:post_uid0]

Draknek
06-17-2003, 07:45 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Catalina Marina (http://www.google.com/search?q=catalina+marina) - looks like it's a type of boat.

My name is 100% unique. I just made it up ages ago, and I've used it ever since.[/color:post_uid0]

Saxamaphone
06-17-2003, 07:50 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]The reference to mine is somewhat obvious: I like the Simpsons, I play the saxophone. It started as my AIM SN - and sprouted from there.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
06-17-2003, 08:20 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I also go by Bondith in some places. Bondith was a name I originally applied to a firelizard I had (online, of course. Firelizards are imaginary). This is going to be one long Pern reference. Bondith was a bronze firelizard, so I made the connection with bronzed bodies and named him after Bondi Beach in Australia. The -th ending usually indicates a dragon name, but all my firelizards like to feel important.

Other online names have included Erik the Lemming (star of a rather strange story I wrote for Creative Writing), Schroedinger's Lemming (like the cat, only with a Norwegian rodent and a little rock with a pool of water to jump into) and G'lad (Pernese dragonrider honourific derived from Gil-galad).[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
06-17-2003, 11:17 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]"Nan" was a diminutive of Nn'khiy I came up with on DC, AKA the Board That Spawned 5MV, that was easier to spell and it it stuck.

Before that I was The Ensign. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
06-18-2003, 01:36 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0](online, of course. Firelizards are imaginary). [/quote:post_uid0]

That's what [i:post_uid0]you[/i:post_uid0] think.

"Standback" is the name of a gnome from "War Machines," a Dragonlance short story by Nick O'Donahue. I started using it when I first encountered the Internet, when I was, oh, 12 years old (7 years ago), and I liked it so much (and used it consistently on so many sites) that I still love it.

Man, I [i:post_uid0]still[/i:post_uid0] love that short story.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
06-18-2003, 01:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Derek stands for "Doesn't Everyone --", wait, no, Derek is my name.

Everywhere else online I go by Spurk which is a name based on the non-word spurkey, which was what my friends and I in high school called a mystery meat that tasted like a combination of spam and turkey.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
06-18-2003, 02:26 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Somethimes I go by the name of Ekiteo. It comes from the Tamarians from [i:post_uid0]TNG[/i:post_uid0]. For those who don't know, they are those people who talk in stories. Ekiteo is one of the characters in those stories. Or it is in [i:post_uid0]Birth of the Federation[/i:post_uid0] anyway.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
06-18-2003, 04:08 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]"Standback" is the name of a gnome from "War Machines," a Dragonlance short story by Nick O'Donahue. [/quote:post_uid0]

That was a Gnome story, wasn't it.

In my D&D world, the capital of the Gnome nation is called Buggerit (for similar reasons as Mount Nevermind). They follow the only religion in the world with the creed "Oh, please don't let this blow up."[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
06-18-2003, 05:16 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]"Oh, please don't let this blow up."[/quote:post_uid0]

Sounds like something an Alchemist might say.[/color:post_uid0]

Opium
06-18-2003, 09:27 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmm, well...I am the Opium of the Masses...or maybe not...actually, it orginated on a board that almost dead, and I wanted to bring in some debate, and since drugs and religions always bring up debate, and the whole Opium saying...
but the wierd thing is, I didnt talk about religion or drugs, just about pop culture...
and besides, I'm zaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyy, and Opium just fits :)[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
06-19-2003, 11:02 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]That was a Gnome story, wasn't it.[/quote:post_uid0]

D*** right it was. The best one I ever read.

Did your players ever enter this realm? Any interesting adventures? Me loveses gnomes, much much much.

[quote:post_uid0]Sounds like something an Alchemist might say.[/quote:post_uid0]

Dragonlance gnomes are a race of Discworld alchemists. Except there are a whole lot more of them, they've got their own volcano, and they extend their expertise to machinery, technology, quantum physics, philosophy, reverse psychology, and every other field they can dream up.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
06-19-2003, 11:10 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Did your players ever enter this realm? Any interesting adventures? Me loveses gnomes, much much much.

[/quote:post_uid0]

One of the players was a gnome. It wasn't *quote* as bad as Mount Nevermind. The Tinkers form the elite class (rather than warriors), and the Kingdom had just suffered an occupation by a hobgoblin horde, so things weren't very wacky. The party was presented with a steam-powered firestarter in gratitude for saving the kingdom. It burned quite nicely. There was also a clockwork panzer that showed up at a later battle, but it didn't get far before the clockwork ran down.[/color:post_uid0]

taya17
06-20-2003, 05:41 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Before that I was The Ensign. ;)[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I remember those days. :)

My name's kinda complicated, and it also harks from DC days. Back then I was running a website with a couple of my other friends and we'd created a Trek survey which we, naturally, had wanted to inflict on people.

So we posted it on the DC board and because there were 3 of us we just decided to be "The Collective" and assigned ourselves numbers based on our class register numbers. I became 17 of the Collective.

In recent years I've begun tacking "Taya" to the front of it, not because I think being the female form of a oak yatch is fun, but because I thought it sounded pretty.

I've had other Net appellations before. Sometimes I masquerade as Janeway's daughter. Of late I've also been using "Nimque Elen", which means "white star" in Elvish. My identity as a musician goes with "Speaker for the Dead", and I'm 'anodemud' when I'm blogging.

Hmm. Maybe I was wrong about not having multiple personality disorder after all.[/color:post_uid0]

FatMatDuhRat
06-21-2003, 02:17 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I call mySelf "Fat Mat" because my Uncle once gave me
the nickname "Fat Mat the Rat" and he called my brother
"Sly Bri the Fly."
:p
I used to write [b:post_uid0]FatMatDuhRat[/b:post_uid0] when I first started messing
around online, but it's much easier now just to type out
nine characters instead of 12.[/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane
06-23-2003, 03:32 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]My name, contrary to what many assume, is not short for Kathryn Janeway (eventhough she rules and i think its cool that it turned out that way) I picked it way before i started watching Voy. Katy is short for my real name Katrina and jane comes from my mothers pet name for me Lady Jane. i use a verison of it every where i have an alis (katy j, Lady Katy Jane, etc.)[/color:post_uid0]