PDA

View Full Version : May 25

Zeke
05-25-2003, 11:33 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Zeke here with new fivers, a TJI, and a bunch of small stuff. Sorry for the lack of new material lately -- it's been a busy month for Kira and me. We'll be getting back to more frequent updates now, so keep an eye on this page.

Here are today's updates....
<ul> First of all, we've got two new fivers from some familiar names. Marc Richard has added "The Next Phase (../nextgen/thenextphase.html)" in his section, while Derek Dean brings us DS9's "Paradise (../ds9/paradise.html)."
Next up is my latest [i:post_uid0]This Just In[/i:post_uid0]: "Star Trek" removed from Pledge of Allegiance (../thisjustin/32.html). This one's been done for a while, and in fact I updated the section days ago, but I waited on the main update to stick to TJI's traditional Sunday schedule. Yes, that will do.
Something you'll have seen if you've been to the 5ME subsite lately: there are now [i:post_uid0]Czech translations[/i:post_uid0] available for seven of my Season 1 fivers. I was browsing Google recently and discovered that a site which provides [i:post_uid0]Enterprise[/i:post_uid0] subtitles in Czech had also been translating my parodies; it was a big surprise, but certainly not a bad one. My thanks to Zirland and JBr for their work. For the record, there are now fivers in four different languages, counting English.
I've made some much-delayed edits to the 5MST season pages to include the fivers added on Mudd Day. (I haven't done that yet with the two new fivers, but that'll happen later tonight.)
Five-Minute Fifth Voyager (http://5m.fifthvoyager.net) is running a fiver-writing contest -- head on over if you'd like to try your hand. (But don't hand on over if you'd like to try your head.)
Brannon Braga recently reached a career milestone: "The Crossing" was the one hundredth Star Trek episode he's written or co-written. The Trek Nation marked the occasion with an article (http://www.treknation.com/articles/crossing_the_threshold_bragas_100th.shtml) where you'll find a quote from yours truly as well as three of my favourite reviewers (Jim Wright, Tim Lynch, and Mary "monkee" Weicek).
Last and least, the news section has down for about 24 hours due to technical difficulties (or, as Kira describes it, "Oops, Zeke's bad"). Now it's back.[/list][/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
05-26-2003, 01:24 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Marc Richard has added "The Next Phase" in his section[/quote:post_uid0]

*reads it*

*head goes [i:post_uid0]BOOM[/i:post_uid0] trying to keep track of all the references* :D

Derek's fiver was really really funny! :lol:
[quote:post_uid0]Sisko: Hey! You can't throw O'Brien in the box for playing with technobabble; that's my job!
Alixus: One more word and I'll put you in the box.
Sisko:
Alixus: Ben?
Sisko:
Alixus: Who wants ice cream?
Sisko: Oo! I do!
Alixus: Ha! That was three more words! In you go.[/quote:post_uid0]

And Zeke's satire is absolutely brilliant. The cameos by Gore, Christian, Merlin Missy, Falwell...oh, all of it is hilarious. :lol: One of the best ones yet! Great job.

Good to see descriptions up for the three Mudd fivers too, particularly the one for "I, Mudd".[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
05-26-2003, 01:48 AM
[quote:post_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Good to see descriptions up for the three Mudd fivers too, particularly the one for "I, Mudd".[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I preferred "Mudd's Passion"'s blurb the most, but they were all good.

Great fiver, Marc. Loved all the references, and, of course, Monty Python references especially.
[quote:post_uid0]Ro: Look, you're not fooling anyone. Now just wait here with me for the wooden cart, will you?[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Marc
05-26-2003, 03:39 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> O'Brien: Hey, it's a technobabble inhibitor that runs on technobabble. How ironic. <<

LOL![/color:post_uid0]

Kira
05-26-2003, 04:28 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]My personal favorite from "The Next Phase" was:

[b:post_uid0]Worf:[/b:post_uid0] What have you decided for the memorial service you are planning?
[b:post_uid0]Data:[/b:post_uid0] Tradition calls for Ensign Ro to be honoured with the ancient Bajoran Death Chant.
[b:post_uid0]Ro:[/b:post_uid0] Oh, no. I wish he'd settle for the modern five-minute version.
[b:post_uid0]La Forge:[/b:post_uid0] Why?
[b:post_uid0]Ro:[/b:post_uid0] Because the Chant is long and life is short.

This needs to go in the Hall of Fame of 5MV references in fivers.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
05-26-2003, 06:35 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Could be my computer's senility at work, but the cell for "I, Mudd" is wonky.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
05-27-2003, 04:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0][Nan]
Could be my computer's senility at work, but the cell for "I, Mudd" is wonky.[/quote:post_uid0]

Ooo, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out; I've fixed it now. (I hope that empty black cell wasn't the blurb NAHTMMM liked.)

[quote:post_uid0][Kira]
This needs to go in the Hall of Fame of 5MV references in fivers.[/quote:post_uid0]

I agree -- it's up there with IJD's inspired bit at the start of "Blink of an Eye." What others have there been? Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is my Chaotica scene in "Shattered."

I loved both fivers, but my favourite part was this one from DD's:

[b:post_uid0]Alixus:[/b:post_uid0] We were alone... in an uncharted --
[b:post_uid0]Sisko:[/b:post_uid0] Yeah, great. You were alone, let's go home.

Longtime 5MV fans are more likely to see why I found this so hilarious. Hint: It's similar to something IJD did in his "Trials and Tribble-ations" fiver.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
05-27-2003, 05:44 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]There's sort of one at the start of Part One of the "Final Fantasy Tactics" series.

(Edit) And also one in "Cathexis".

[quote:post_uid0]I hope that empty black cell wasn't the blurb NAHTMMM liked.[/quote:post_uid0]
:smile:

Nope, I saw an actual description there. I'm guessing that I used the all-seasons view while Nan used the single-season view. Or maybe vice versa, but I don't think so.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
05-27-2003, 06:24 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> (I hope that empty black cell wasn't the blurb NAHTMMM liked.) <<

Along the same lines: there's an empty white cell where the blurb for "The Next Phase" should be.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
05-27-2003, 07:35 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]NAHTMMM: I'm not counting just any fiver that uses the word "fiver" at some point. Lots do that -- more subtantial references aren't as common.

Marc: Actually, that's because I haven't done the blurbs for that one or "Paradise" yet. They'll be up later today [EDIT: by which I mean now].[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
05-27-2003, 09:06 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]*wince* Bad pun alert![/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
05-27-2003, 10:05 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]OK, I think I've thought of a "good" example, although it was unintentional. Janeway's J/N remark in "Macrocosm" (http://3sygma.com/fiveminute/voyager/macrocosm.html) versus the J/N example in the Submissions FAQ--someone even commented on it at the time the fiver was published.[/color:post_uid0]

Marill
05-28-2003, 04:47 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>>Five-Minute Fifth Voyager is running a fiver-writing contest -- head on over if you'd like to try your hand. (But don't hand on over if you'd like to try your head.)
Sorry but at the moment the site's playing up. If you want to take part just email me with the following details:
Your Name:
Episode want to five: Thrown Key, Fair Chance or Outside of Time
Email Address:
Site address (optional):
And that's it.. thanks for your attention. Now I'll get back to waiting impatiently for my site to come back up :p

PS-My email is marillena_2002@yahoo.co.uk[/color:post_uid0]

Marill
05-28-2003, 05:27 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ok forget that.. the site's working again I think
If it doesn't work for you try this link
Competition (http://www.katiestuart.net/fifthvoyager/5mfv/comp.html)[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
05-28-2003, 07:58 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Good ones, all! :)

[quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Sisko:[/b:post_uid0] Then I'll blame it on the rain.
[b:post_uid0]O'Brien:[/b:post_uid0] Yeah?
[b:post_uid0]Sisko:[/b:post_uid0] Yeah. [/quote:post_uid0]
Okay, I remember the two skinny, dancing dreadlock guys, and all the hoo-hah that came a bit later, but the song itself left such a non-impression on me that I had to look this up. Turns out it was written by Diane Warren of [i:post_uid0]Faith of the Heart[/i:post_uid0] fame.(?) Heh. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Kristina
05-29-2003, 08:15 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]...we need to hitch a ride on the next shuttle that's heading over to the Romulan ship.
Ro: Won't the whole shuttle go right through us as soon as the pilot starts to accelerate?
La Forge: No, the shuttle seats are made of the same material as the floors of the Enterprise.[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol: Nice to see that plothole caught in the fiver -- I always wondered about that one myself.

I was also laughed a lot at O'Brien's attempts at Vulcan techniques.

And, "Lexxican"... :D

As always, very enjoyable![/color:post_uid0]