PDA

View Full Version : July 31

Zeke
08-01-2003, 02:15 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I don't really know what to say. Â I think this is the longest I've ever gone between updates, and that's saying something. Â What's worse, though, is that this time I don't even have the excuse of something like the Version 3.0 redesign -- what I've delayed with is the AU Week wrapup, which shouldn't be a big deal at all, and shouldn't have taken a fraction of this time.

I don't have it ready tonight, but it [i:post_uid0]is[/i:post_uid0] in progress. Â By now there's no further point in being coy about the nature of the update: as some of you have probably already guessed, there's more to it than the third-anniversary comments I said were coming. Â I intend to be done by Sunday at the latest, and when I am, there will be new material and a fairly important announcement. Â (I'll also explain why I didn't say this material was coming.)

I'm truly sorry to everyone involved here, especially Kira, who organized this whole event perfectly only to see me blow the ending to hell. Â In a sad kind of way, it makes sense for this site's big anniversary celebration to involve massive delays on my part -- what could be truer to how I've run things these past three years? -- but this is the last such disgrace I intend to perpetrate. Â And I do know how I'm going to back that comment up.

See you in a few days. Â Once again, I'm sorry.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
08-01-2003, 03:04 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]It's all right with me, Zeke. We have life get in the way of stuff too. ;) And that Theme Week gave us more than enough to last on until now. :D Â Â Though you're worrying me with this talk of a "fairly important announcement" and all. :O :S[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-01-2003, 03:56 AM
[quote:post_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000:post_uid0]It's all right with me, Zeke. We have life get in the way of stuff too. ;)[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]If my offline life had been the cause of this delay, I wouldn't feel quite as bad about it, but it wasn't. It's purely my own sloth.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
08-01-2003, 02:24 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ah. Been reading the Enterprise forum over at TrekBBS lately, huh? :D

[i:post_uid0]Curse[/i:post_uid0] those sloths! ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-01-2003, 02:29 PM
[quote:post_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Been reading the Enterprise forum over at TrekBBS lately, huh?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]No. Is there a sloth gag or something?[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
08-01-2003, 05:57 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]You bet there is. ;)

(Mild spoilers for the next season of Ent way down there, with links--be careful where you click)

[quote:post_uid0][color=white:post_uid0]Apparently at least some of the Xindis are supposed to be like sloths. This has caused several Ent forumgoers to flip their avs upside-down and change their "Location" to something reflecting their new slothlike habit of hanging upside-down from a tree. :D It's also spawned a number of threads, like this one (http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB28&Number=1614265&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1), this one (http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB28&Number=1619613&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1), and others, plus various posts sprinkled throughout the other threads. "Slothin'" may become the favorite swear word in the forum before long.

I was wondering if you were too busy dealing with an invading Xindi or a Xindi teddy bear (teddy sloth?) to do any updating. ;)[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]

End minor spoilers[/color:post_uid0]

ijdgaf
08-01-2003, 05:58 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yep, but it's kinda a season three spoiler. Let's just say that sloths in general are all the new rage there.

And don't worry Z, we're all huge procrastinators here. Okay, maybe not all of us (Hi Marc), but I sure as hell am, and if this site were mine I probably wouldn't have anywhere near the material; I would've given up long before the three year mark. You may put things off time to time (who doesn't?), but you've stuck it out and this site is more successful than ever now. My site would've had an update on its first day, perhaps one on the second, and then I'd still be working on the third update three years later.

So don't do anything rash; you are this site, and I'm damn certain it'll still be that way in another three years.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
08-01-2003, 09:25 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Â Is there a sloth gag or something?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]"A sloth gag" would be an understatement, to put it mildly. ;)
Also worth noting are a number of parodies (by thegreatlink.org's Christopher Howell) on the announced new elements for S.3, incorporating bits from other Trek, T3, etc., etc. -- some pretty funny stuff, some of it.[/color:post_uid0]

FatMatDuhRat
08-02-2003, 01:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Sloth[/b:post_uid0]... Heh Heh. There's a word I haven't
heard inna long while. It's kinda fun to say,
esp. if you have an NYC accent like me.

It's also the type of word that, when you
say it out loud, you [b:post_uid0][i:post_uid0]feel[/i:post_uid0][/b:post_uid0] its definition. Like
saying the word "sneak" or "sneer," it makes
you automatically change your posture &
adapt to the meaning of the word.

I can't believe [b:post_uid0]5MV[/b:post_uid0] is 3 years old. It's cool
because next month my dog [b:post_uid0]Kia (http://members.aol.com/fatmatduhrat/myhomepage/dog5.jpg)[/b:post_uid0] is going to
be 3 & a half. Coincidence? I don't think so.
:p
But I hope that this website sticks around
for another 3 years, and then another 3
after that. Maybe even another 3, and then
one more for good luck. I'd like to see [b:post_uid0]5MV[/b:post_uid0]
make fun of every science fiction movie &
television show (and video game) that was
ever made, and a few that weren't too.
:bigsmile:
Am I alone in this dream?[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-02-2003, 11:47 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Just to clarify something, "by Sunday" doesn't necessarily mean "by midnight Saturday night." Â The most likely timing for the update will be early-to-mid-afternoon.

Thanks to all for the nice comments and the various explanations of the sloth thing. Â I used to hang around the Trek BBS a lot, and still do now and then, but the Enterprise forum (like Voyager before it) has never interested me much. Â Discussion there tends to be far too polarized -- it's pretty much bashers and gushers duking it out, and I've seen more than enough of that in this fandom. Â In contrast, the Sci Fi & Fantasy forum has had many debates I've really enjoyed; the regulars there are just as opinionated, but they're much better at keeping things civil. Â That's where I'm most likely to post when I'm in the neighbourhood.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
08-04-2003, 05:03 AM
[quote:post_uid0="ijdgaf"][color=#000000:post_uid0]I would've given up long before the three year mark.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yeah. No worries, Zeke. At least you remembered your own anniversary. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-04-2003, 08:52 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'm file-fiddling now for the update; it should be online in two hours or so.[/color:post_uid0]