PDA

View Full Version : August 5

Zeke
08-06-2003, 04:45 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I should probably clarify something about the new daily-update plan: this page isn't going to turn into a blog. As I was telling Sa'ar Chasm yesterday, this Sunday Morning Coffee strip (http://smc.keenspace.com/d/20011125.html) sums up my view of blogs -- not [i:post_uid0]all[/i:post_uid0] blogs, but certainly the majority. There's nothing wrong with keeping an online journal, and in fact I read several friends' every day. But that's not what Five-Minute Voyager is about.

Several readers have now reported problems viewing the new page, the main problem being that the front-page subsite logos are too big. The reason is that I've redone those images. The new versions are, among other things, much smaller, so the front page can display them at their natural size instead of having to shrink them. If you're seeing big logos, what's happening is that your browser still has the old image files in its cache and is displaying [i:post_uid0]those[/i:post_uid0] at their natural size. Short answer: to fix the problem, clear your cache and reload.

Oh, the comment link below reminds me of something I'm trying to decide about. Given that I'll now be making newsposts every day, I'm not sure whether to create a comment thread each time or only when there's new material. If you have an opinion, please let me know in -- where else? -- the comment thread.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
08-06-2003, 11:42 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Heh. I used to read a blog by some guy who talked about Javascript a lot, but at some point he decided to focus on talking about the band he's in, so I stopped reading. The only blog I currently read is Wil Wheaton's (http://wilwheaton.net). But neither were as bad as the one in the comic.

I don't know how much a comment thread is really necessary for each non-fiver update. I mean, it'd likely just become a place where people either post, "so when will the next fiver be published??!!1!11" or it'd take the road of all other threads on this board, which I think the other threads do nicely.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
08-06-2003, 02:03 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Zeke"]Oh, the comment link below reminds me of something I'm trying to decide about. Â Given that I'll now be making newsposts every day, I'm not sure whether to create a comment thread each time or only when there's new material. Â If you have an opinion, please let me know in -- where else? -- the comment thread.[/quote:post_uid0]
You might also include a comment link any time you mention the impendingness of new material--"I won't be around for the next few days, so don't expect anything", or "Expect an update with several new Enterprise fivers by Tuesday"--or any time you mention notable changes in the site design--"The guidelines for the TNG section are now up", or "I've redesigned the ____ page, let me know what you think".[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
08-06-2003, 06:44 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I have to concur with Derek...both about Wil Wheaton's blog, and about his thoughts on comments threads for every update.

I read Nan's and Taya's blogs, but only because there's a fair-to-middling chance I might be mentioned. Vanity, basically. Wil Wheaton is my hero.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
08-06-2003, 07:01 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]There are already so many threads I have to sift through. I say just put up a comment thread when you're actualy updating. It's much better for the forums. :) ::hugs the forums::[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-06-2003, 08:33 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Good, everyone seems to favour the same idea I had in mind. That'll be the plan, then; if you find you do have a comment on a threadless newspost, you can always just use the previous thread.[/color:post_uid0]

FatMatDuhRat
08-09-2003, 04:41 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Wil Wheaton > Me

Wil Wheaton's Blog = Pure Genius

Also, [b:post_uid0]5MV[/b:post_uid0] is still the reigning champion
of the entire Universe as we currently
perceive it to be.

[u:post_uid0]Current Mood[/u:post_uid0]: Hung over
[u:post_uid0]CD in my Stereo[/u:post_uid0]: Ramones Leave Home

[i:post_uid0]...ouch, my brains...[/i:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]