PDA

View Full Version : August 23

Zeke
08-24-2003, 03:13 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]As promised, here's a fiver -- one I've been keeping on ice for so long I had to thaw it out in the stove. Back in February, we published a [i:post_uid0]Doctor Who[/i:post_uid0] fiver by SCMoll. This was actually just one of two he'd written, but I decided to wait a while with the second one. PointyHairedJedi asked me about [i:post_uid0]Doctor Who[/i:post_uid0] fivers a couple of days ago, so I figure now is a good time to bring it out. SCMoll's Five-Minute "The Five Doctors (../scifivers/thefivedoctors.html)" is now available in Sci-Fivers.

The 3Sygma server is in the midst of some technical difficulties, so if you find that 5MV is taking a long time to load, that's the reason. I don't know how long the situation will continue. It's a pain in the neck for me too, especially when I'm making updates, but unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it.

Finally, the poll (http://3sygma.com/fiveminute/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=NW;f=1;t=232) is still in progress -- if you haven't voted yet, please do. The current layout is in the lead with a bit more than half the votes so far. I'll keep the poll running until Monday or so.[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
08-24-2003, 03:35 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I think that poll is slowing the site up[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-24-2003, 03:56 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]No, this has been going on longer than the poll has. I talked to Owen, and he's known about the problem for a while but apparently can't do anything about it.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
08-24-2003, 01:42 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yes, I brought up the slowness a long time ago.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
08-24-2003, 05:54 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]What a goofy fiver! :smile:

[quote:post_uid0]Corridors: We are spooky. Watch us be dark.
Black-Gloved Hand: My evil plan will come to fruition. Mwahahahaha![/quote:post_uid0]
:lol:

My other favorite part was
[quote:post_uid0]Stock Footage Fourth Doctor: Not really. It spoiled my plan to get the name changed to "The Four Doctors." Instead it's "The Three Doctors, the Impostor Doctor, and the Doctor from Existing Stock Footage."
Stock Footage Romana: Look out! A whirly CGI cone!
Stock Footage Fourth Doctor: That wasn't in the original episode!
Stock Footage Romana: No wonder it looks so out of place.[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
08-24-2003, 07:53 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]
Brigadier: These are updated special effects, right?
Second Doctor: Yes, why? We didn't have CGI in the Seventies. We're in the Special Edition!
Brigadier: Because if that's the updated special effect, I shudder to imagine the look of the original.
[/quote:post_uid0]Heh. Good old BBC cheese. :p
[quote:post_uid0]The Castellan: No, not that line! I refuse to say that line! I am ridiculed in all of Doctor Who fandom for that line![/quote:post_uid0] :D[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-24-2003, 10:49 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Celeste"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Yes, I brought up the slowness a long time ago.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]How long ago? Considering how often we get them, that may have been the [i:post_uid0]last[/i:post_uid0] server problem.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
08-24-2003, 10:57 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, this one's been going on for, at a guess, at least three or four days. I've always assumed that the molassesishness means that the database is getting fragmented to the point where it finally defrags itself, and then everything's OK for a while. But you're saying that it's some problem with the server itself? Ouch. I'd prefer the fragmentedness reason, myself. :dead:[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
08-25-2003, 07:20 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Celeste"]Yes, I brought up the slowness a long time ago.[/quote:post_uid0]
How long ago? Considering how often we get them, that may have been the [i:post_uid0]last[/i:post_uid0] server problem.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Few months. Remember when I told you that I was having difficulty loading 3sygma.com/etc.. but it seemed to be local to just my computer. And I thought it might have been my new wireless internet lagging. But it wasn't? :P No? Ahh well. hehe[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-25-2003, 08:47 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yeah, that was definitely a previous one. Sorry, but you don't get precedence. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

SCMoll
08-26-2003, 07:14 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, "The Five Doctors" is a very goofy episode, and I was feeling very goofy when I wrote it. In retrospect, I'm not sure some of it works -- I've had (I think) 1.5 years to think on it and find problems.

Someday I'll do another, I think. Zeke -- has anyone claimed any "Doctor Who" episodes? Ever?[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-26-2003, 08:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Nope, just you so far.[/color:post_uid0]