PDA

View Full Version : August 24

Zeke
08-25-2003, 03:43 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]And so ends another week... not with a bang, nor with a whimper, but with a schrok. If you don't know what that sounds like, I can't help you. Anyway, Derek's got a new Deep Space Nine fiver for us: The Collaborator (../ds9/thecollaborator.html)." It doesn't have a long story behind it like yesterday's fiver, but that's just as well. No need to encourage my love of hearing myself talk.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
08-25-2003, 06:59 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Zeke has a two-time-zone lead on Kira and I still get first crack at the new fivers. Maybe I should get a life.

[quote:post_uid0]Opaka: Help me, Obi-- er, Bareil. You're my only hope.
[/quote:post_uid0]

Thief! Baggins! Never mind the fact that you spelled all the names right and probably wrote that long before The Muse got published *g*

The rest of the fiver had the usual assortment of horrid puns, obscure references and foreshadowings ([i:post_uid0]Evil must be opposed[/i:post_uid0]). Another classic Derek fiver. Good job.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
08-25-2003, 03:51 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]My favorite parts of this fiver were
[quote:post_uid0]O'Brien: All the files have been erased.
Kira: Who deleted them?
O'Brien: Unfortunately, the deletion logs have also been erased.
Kira: What about the deletion logs for the deletion logs?
O'Brien: Oh, that was done by Bareil.[/quote:post_uid0]
and
[quote:post_uid0]Kira: Okay, now I'm supposed to say, 'I talked to Bareil and...' Then you say --
Winn: And what?
Kira: And you already know what I'm going to tell you.
Winn: Woohoo![/quote:post_uid0]
:D

A very funny fiver, Derek. Good job.[/color:post_uid0]

Kristina
08-26-2003, 06:56 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]It took me a while to get this one:
[quote:post_uid0]Eblan: Hey! I know you!
Kubus: You walked with me once upon a dream?
Eblan: No, I balked at you once and made a scene.
Odo: I think I'll arrest Kubus before this becomes a musical. [/quote:post_uid0]
I personally prefer your version of the lyrics, Derek. Â :D Â Good one![/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
08-26-2003, 03:55 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000:post_uid0]... not with a bang, nor with a whimper, but with a schrok. Â If you don't know what that sounds like ...[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Like Steve Allen? ;)

[quote:post_uid0]
O'Brien: All the files have been erased.
Kira: Who deleted them?
O'Brien: Unfortunately, the deletion logs have also been erased.
Kira: What about the deletion logs for the deletion logs?
O'Brien: Oh, that was done by Bareil. [/quote:post_uid0]*wants to cue [i:post_uid0]Mission: Impossible[/i:post_uid0] theme*

Derek, another good one. Possibly more subtle than your usual efforts, but I may be reading in things other than those that were intended.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
08-26-2003, 05:04 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Guest"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Derek, another good one. Possibly more subtle than your usual efforts, but I may be reading in things other than those that were intended.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yes, I intended every bit of subtle humor you picked up on. Now if you'll just tell me what those were, I'll, um, check to see if you got them all.

Most of my subtleties in this fiver are of a religious nature. When writing a fiver dealing with religious issues, it's very tempting for me to bring in my own religious upbringing and make references to it that I don't expect many people will get.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
08-27-2003, 02:38 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]^ They were definitely religious in nature. Couldn't quite put my finger on some of them, but there were some familiar chords struck. I'll have to get back to you after I've gone through it a few more times.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
08-29-2003, 05:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Okay, Derek, I'm gonna go out on a limb here. It looks like most of your references and allusions (R&A™) are to the Gospel according to Matthew.
Winn: Now remember, kids, if you watch TV, you'll go straight to hell.
Bareil: Then how will they be able to see your televised broadcasts?
Winn: Well those are okay, but the rest of TV is of the devil. [/quote:post_uid0]
3:10
Eblan: Hey! I know you!
Kubus: You walked with me once upon a dream?
Eblan: No, I balked at you once and made a scene.
Odo: I think I'll arrest Kubus before this becomes a musical. [/quote:post_uid0]
26:34-35, 69-75
Opaka: Don't become the Kai. I'd say that more cryptically, but why?
Bareil: Won't the Prophets be better off if I'm Kai?
Winn: Yes, but they're masochists. Speaking of which, here, take this snake.
Bareil: Woohoo! And here I thought our religion didn't approve of snake handling![/quote:post_uid0]
3:7
Kubus: So what if I was a collaborator? I just wanna go home.
Kira: That right was taken from you in the First Amendment. We call it the Bill of No Rights.
Kubus: Crap. What rights do I have?
Kira: Only the right to get sanctuary granted by a Vedek.
Kubus: Hmmmm.... [/quote:post_uid0]
27:3-5 Judas' repentance
Winn: Why do people think we're enemies?
Sisko: Hm. Let's think. Maybe it's because you said that joining up with the Federation made buildings spontaneously combust.
Winn: I didn't mean it like that. I was talking about what would happen to our spiritual buildings if we joined up with the spiritual Federation.
Sisko: That still doesn't make sense.
Winn: Um, sure it does. [/quote:post_uid0]
22:15-21 "Render unto Caesar" etc.
Kira: Why are you associating with that tax collector?
Winn: It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.
Kira: Hey! Leave Bashir out of this! [/quote:post_uid0]9:9-12 Matthew and Simon Peter(?) were both tax collectors
Winn: All right, here's the deal. Kubus is going to reveal that Bareil is a collaborator.
Kira: And that's supposed to make me side with you?
Winn: Um,... yes.
Kira: Okay.[/quote:post_uid0]
26:14-16 Judas agrees to betrayal
Kubus: I once saw Bek and Bareil talking to each other.
Kira: That's not evidence. You're just a wee little man making something up so you can have sanctuary, aren't you?
Kubus: Pretty much.
Winn: Well, I believe him. Go investigate, Kira.[/quote:post_uid0]
Not sure here
[quote:post_uid0]Kira: What did you and Bek talk about?
Bareil: He just asked me for a length of rope the day before he hanged himself.
Kira: And did you bring it to him with a loop on one end?
Bareil: Nope.
Kira: Well, no noose is good news.
--------------
Odo: This is where Bek hanged himself.
Kira: Why would a Bajoran religious leader hang himself on this station?
Odo: Evil must be opposed. [/quote:post_uid0]
Judas hanged himself after betrayal.
Kira: So why'd you do it?
Bareil: Because I'm taking the fall for someone else.
Kira: A likely story. [/quote:post_uid0]
Jesus as substitute for Barabbas/general human sin
(Kai Opaka's son rolls over in his grave at Ludicrous Speed.) [/quote:post_uid0]
Resurrection?

Apologies if this has become less coherent as I went on -- getting tired and distracted. Was I even close?[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
08-29-2003, 12:30 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Good grief. Reading that makes me feel like I'm CS Lewis or someone. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

Anyway, I have to admit that I didn't even intend half of what you picked up on. Most of what the scenes are, I wrote at face value and didn't even try to draw analogies to the Bible with them.

Matt 9:9-12 is definitely one I intended though. By the way Simon Peter was a fisherman. Matthew (also called Levi) was the only tax collector of the apostles.

The other prominent tax collector in the Bible was Zacchaeus, who has his story told in a fun little children's song that starts out "Zacchaeus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he." Contrast to Kira's "That's not evidence. You're just a wee little man making something up so you can have sanctuary, aren't you?"

Unfortunately, most of the rest was unintentional on my part. The hanging imagery came from the fact that Bek hanged himself, and had nothing to do with Judas. Eblan's "Hey! I know you!" was the start of a reference to a song from Disney's [i:post_uid0]Sleeping Beauty[/i:post_uid0]. Winn's talk about TV was just a joke about televangelists who denounce television. But after reading what you wrote, I wish I had intended it all.

By the way, Kira's "Just be glad we don't have you measuring the place." was a reference to the rather tedious account in Ezekiel 40-47.

Snake handling is a reference to Pentacostal churches who do actually handle snakes. Their scriptural basis is Mark 16:17-18.

Thanks for posting though. It's great to get new insights on what I wrote. I really appreciate it. Feel free to do it again. :)[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
08-29-2003, 10:01 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Matt 9:9-12 is definitely one I intended though. By the way Simon Peter was a fisherman. Matthew (also called Levi) was the only tax collector of the apostles.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I actually picked up on that one fairly late in the process. I wasn't really getting any sort of clear picture -- more a sort of badly-out-of-focus impression. Oh, well. Sometimes you just have to take an idea and run with it, even if it turns out to be completely wrong. :D

Had fun, though. :)[/color:post_uid0]

taya17
08-30-2003, 12:26 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]O.O
O.o
o.O
O.o;

Good grief. There are more biblical references in this thread than in one SEASON of B5.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
08-30-2003, 02:18 AM
[quote:post_uid0="taya17"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Good grief. There are more biblical references in this thread than in one SEASON of B5.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Now THAT is a feat.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-30-2003, 02:54 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Think that's something? Try a page of the Bible. The biblical references are just crammed in.[/color:post_uid0]

taya17
08-30-2003, 05:11 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]The Bible... refers to itself? "For more information see page 47 on the topic of GLUTTONY..."

Then again, I'm not one to speak, since I've never read the entire book from end to end (only bits here and there)...[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
08-30-2003, 01:34 PM
[quote:post_uid0="taya17"][color=#000000:post_uid0]The Bible... refers to itself?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I was just making a joke on the fact that everything in the Bible is a biblical reference by definition. But it does refer to itself in many places, especially where prophecies are being fulfilled.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
08-30-2003, 10:31 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I wonder if it's the same with the Aussie Bible. ;)[/color:post_uid0]