PDA

View Full Version : September 5 - Day 1 of NGW:TNG

Zeke
09-05-2003, 04:16 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Zeke here with some very cool news: today is the second birthday of 5MV's first official subsite, Marc Richard's Five-Minute Next Generation (../nextgen). Â That means 5MV has now been around longer with it than without it, a fact I'm still trying to process. Â I don't need to tell you all what a contribution Marc's made to the site, in content and pretty much everything else. Â Suffice it to say I couldn't be prouder to see 5MNG hit the two-year mark.

And as we always do at 5MV when something big comes up, we're gonna have some fun with this. Â Welcome to [b:post_uid0]Next Generation Week: The Next Generation[/b:post_uid0]! Â (The first Next Gen Week was back in February/March 2002, and longtime readers will remember that it concluded with Derek Dean's first fiver.) Â For the next seven update days, we'll have at least one new fiver for you every day. Â Most are by the master (Marcster?) himself, but you'll see a couple of cameo appearances too. Â To start things off, here's Five-Minute "Too Short a Season (../nextgen/tooshortaseason.html)," by Marc.

(PS: Two quick notes. Â One, my email is still down, thank you very much Lycos. Â Two, as a result, the next update letter will be delayed until it's back up. Â I could mail from another address, but I don't have my mailing list....)[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
09-05-2003, 04:51 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Jameson: I'm also benefiting from a trip I made last week to the famous Briar Patch Health Spa.
Picard: I've never heard of it.
Jameson: You will.

Jameson: I like to think of us as "the arsenal of freedom."

Anne: You're not kidding. When I last saw him, the rascal was jumping up and down on the bed.[/quote:post_uid0]
::groans at that last one::

Great fiver, Marc, but you really should have put some reference to current day events in it.... :)

Edit: By the way, congrats on two years. I haven't written a 5MNG fiver in a while, but until recently that was still the section I had the most fivers published in. (Finally pushed the number of my 5MD fivers past the number of my 5MNG fivers.)[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
09-05-2003, 05:53 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Lots of great references throughout this one.

[quote:post_uid0]Jameson: With good reason. I once resolved a similar crisis on Mordan IV. The hostages were set free precisely five minutes before the civil war started.
Data: Should one infer anything from this fortuitous timing?
Jameson: No.[/quote:post_uid0]
Heheheh. Marc's getting downright historical, I see...

[quote:post_uid0]Crusher: He's putting his life in danger. There's no telling how far back he'll regress towards early youth.
Anne: You're not kidding. When I last saw him, the rascal was jumping up and down on the bed.[/quote:post_uid0]
*sniggers*

[quote:post_uid0]Jameson: It was my reward for negotiating the release of some hostages being held there by a radical faction called the Anti-Grup Liberation Foolie.[/quote:post_uid0]
:D Marc's convinced me: there ought to be a real political party with "Foolie" in its name.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
09-05-2003, 05:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> you really should have put some reference to current day events in it.... <<

There will be several of those in some of the fivers coming up over the next week. Have fun spotting them.

>> Edit: By the way, congrats on two years. I haven't written a 5MNG fiver in a while, but until recently that was still the section I had the most fivers published in. (Finally pushed the number of my 5MD fivers past the number of my 5MNG fivers.) <<

Looking forward to your next venture back to the subsite where your fivers first got published, when you get a free moment from your duties running your shiny new subsite! (proudly wipes away a tear and sniffles) I guess they all grow up and move away from home eventually....[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
09-05-2003, 09:58 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Woo! Congratulations, Marc!

Ah, Next Gen. It has a special place in my heart.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
09-05-2003, 11:23 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]In addition to those mentioned above, bits I liked:
[quote:post_uid0]
Picard: I'm surprised that Karnas isn't able to handle this hostage situation on his own. He is, after all, the one who unified the planet after forty years of civil war.
Riker: Perhaps he made too many enemies in the process.
Jameson: Quite possible. It's easy to dislike a man whose motto is, "Peace through superior firepower."
--------------
Anne: The real reason? Oh, my goodness -- so that's what happened to my hormone-replacement pills!
Jameson: I didn't think you'd notice.
Anne: Not notice that the bottle suddenly went from full to empty?
Jameson: Not notice that those weren't peanuts I was eating yesterday while watching the news.
[/quote:post_uid0] :D

Happy 2-year, Marc and 5MNG! :)

Also, from the 5MNG main page:
[quote:post_uid0]Currently in progress: That would be telling.[/quote:post_uid0] ;)[/color:post_uid0]