PDA

View Full Version : September 8 - Day 4 of NGW:TNG

Zeke
09-08-2003, 02:31 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]And for day four of NGW:TNG, here's Marc's "The Drumhead (../nextgen/thedrumhead.html)" -- which, I just discovered, beat me to the term "Litigious Speed." Oops.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
09-08-2003, 03:39 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Satie: Not anymore. That right was suspended by the Federation's new security law -- the "Uncovering Subversive Activities by Prosecuting Alien Terrorists, Romulan Impostors and Other Traitors Act."

Satie: Are you or have you ever been a member of a communist organization?

Satie: As far as I have to! If necessary, I'll put all of humanity on trial to answer the charge of being a grievously savage race![/quote:post_uid0]
Great fiver for a great episode. Well done, Marc. I just wonder if it shouldn't be Uncovering Foreign Persons instead of Uncovering Subversive Activities.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
09-08-2003, 03:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]My favorite parts of this one were

[quote:post_uid0]Satie: My pleasure. Rest assured that I will uncover the conspiracy behind this dastardly act of sabotage whether it exists or not.[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Picard: I also object to the fact that you've seated a kangaroo next to him.[/quote:post_uid0]
:D Heheheh.

[quote:post_uid0]Satie: Not anymore. That right was suspended by the Federation's new security law -- the "Uncovering Subversive Activities by Prosecuting Alien Terrorists, Romulan Impostors and Other Traitors Act."[/quote:post_uid0]
Absolutely [i:post_uid0]brilliant[/i:post_uid0], Marc! :lol: :lol:

An amusing blurb too.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> I just wonder if it shouldn't be Uncovering Foreign Persons instead of Uncovering Subversive Activities. <<

Well, Picard still got prosecuted even though he isn't a foreign person. Â "Uncovering Subversive Activities" stays faithful to the full acronym of the original law I'm making fun of (which actually *is* an acronym for a lengthy phrase, as I was suprised to learn this summer).[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
09-08-2003, 04:10 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]^ The acronym thing seems to be an American weakness, particularly with, but not exclusively limited to, the party that also came up with CREEP.

Great stuff, Marc. :)

[quote:post_uid0]
An amusing blurb too.[/quote:post_uid0]
Indeed. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Anonymous
09-08-2003, 08:52 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]That right was suspended by the Federation's new security law -- the "Uncovering Subversive Activities by Prosecuting Alien Terrorists, Romulan Impostors and Other Traitors Act."[/quote:post_uid0]

You are a god.

[quote:post_uid0]Satie: Are you or have you ever been a member of a communist organization?

Picard: It's called a "collective," not a commune.
Satie: Close enough.[/quote:post_uid0]

You are THE god.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
09-08-2003, 10:49 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]You are THE god.[/quote:post_uid0]

Or a kulak.

[quote:post_uid0]Well, Picard still got prosecuted even though he isn't a foreign person. "Uncovering Subversive Activities" stays faithful to the full acronym of the original law I'm making fun of (which actually *is* an acronym for a lengthy phrase, as I was suprised to learn this summer).[/quote:post_uid0]

So I wasn't the only one sitting there trying to determine that the acronym worked out to USAPATRIOTA? Oh, wait, it's several words. It's even cleverer(erer) when I see it written down.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
09-08-2003, 10:52 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]You are THE god.[/quote:post_uid0]

Looks like Marc's got worshippers. Or at least one. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
09-08-2003, 11:12 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> Looks like Marc's got worshippers. Or at least one. <<

Having just re-read the fiver for "Who Watches the Watchers?", I now nervously wonder if a Mintakan arrow will be following shortly....

>> So I wasn't the only one sitting there trying to determine that the acronym worked out to USAPATRIOTA? Oh, wait, it's several words. <<

And the word "Act" follows the acronym rather than being part of it -- both in the original version and the 24th century one. I strongly suspect that Congress came up with the acronym first, then retroactively found words to turn it into a catch-phrase.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
09-09-2003, 01:04 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Marc"]>> So I wasn't the only one sitting there trying to determine that the acronym worked out to USAPATRIOTA? Â Oh, wait, it's several words. <<

And the word "Act" follows the acronym rather than being part of it -- both in the original version and the 24th century one. I strongly suspect that Congress came up with the acronym first, then retroactively found words to turn it into a catch-phrase.[/quote:post_uid0]
Now really, Marc. So cynical. Our (as in those belonging to myself and to other US citizens) fine Congressmen and Congresswomen are out there trying to make America a better place. They don't have time to sit around and rack their brains in an attempt to come up with a silly little acronym that just happens to have an extremely strong slant to it.

No, several of the bill's sponsors probably got their PR staffs to do it. :D[/color:post_uid0]

taya17
09-09-2003, 01:10 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]But isn't that always the case? Like, people come out with the acronyms first, THEN fill in the requsite words. Which is why committees and organizations keep getting such stupid names.[/color:post_uid0]