PDA

View Full Version : September 12 - Day 7 of NGW:TNG

Kira
09-12-2003, 04:06 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Kira here. Â For the final day of NGW:TNG, another fiver from Marc: "Force of Nature (http://3sygma.com/fiveminute/nextgen/forceofnature.html)."[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
09-12-2003, 11:52 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Rabal: I'm deeply troubled by Serova's fate.
La Forge: Always remember that she was a woman of high principles. She was willing to destroy subspace in order to save it.
Rabal: That's the part I'm having the most trouble with.[/quote:post_uid0]
Great fiver, Marc.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
09-12-2003, 02:02 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]La Forge: Sure. The biggest hole is in the top layer of the "O" zone -- can you see the main part for it anywhere?
Data: Yes, I believe this green piece is what we need.[/quote:post_uid0]
Heeheehee. That was a good one. :D

[quote:post_uid0]La Forge: Always remember that she was a woman of high principles. She was willing to destroy subspace in order to save it.
Rabal: That's the part I'm having the most trouble with.[/quote:post_uid0]
That and the previous remark about chaining oneself to a subspace anomaly were pretty funny.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
09-12-2003, 04:08 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Grrrrr... I sent Kira the wrong News file last night, so she couldn't post my blurb. Â Here's what I was going to say (and thanks for improvising, Ki):

Welcome back for the seventh and final day of Next Generation Week: The Next Generation. Â Today's fiver is "Force of Nature (../nextgen/forceofnature.html)" by, once again, Marc. Â You must read this one if only for the absolutely BRUTAL punnery in a certain Geordi/Data scene.

With that, after one week and ten hours' worth of fivers, NGW:TNG is done. Â The frustrating part is that 5MNG is very, very close to 50% series coverage (which 5MST achieved recently), but didn't quite get there in time for the wrap-up. Â I'll mention that on this page when it happens, though. Â A few quick acknowledgements: biggest thanks to Marc, of course, for writing seven great fivers and being the reason for all this; Kira, for doing the HTML on Marc's stuff; Tim Lynch for including good synopses with his TNG reviews, such as "Redemption"; and Readers Like You, for reading, commenting at the forums, and helping us get some awesome hitcounts this week. Â Here's to plenty more 5MNG anniversaries to come.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
09-12-2003, 04:57 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> the absolutely BRUTAL punnery in a certain Geordi/Data scene. <<

By a strange coincidence, I saw a Reuters news story on the CNN site today titled "Antarctic Ozone Hole Biggest Ever." No comments on the subject from Greenpeace yet, but I'm sure they will make good use of this latest, er, data.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
09-12-2003, 09:48 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'm going to assume said Geordi/Data scene borrows somewhat from [i:post_uid0]Reading Rainbow[/i:post_uid0], because I've never watched that show.
[quote:post_uid0]
La Forge: (over the comm) Captain, two alien intruders have just beamed aboard!
Picard: Are they armed?
La Forge: No, but they're carrying picket signs and they're handing out leaflets to my engine room crew.
[/quote:post_uid0]
Not to mention aggressively soliciting cash dona- .... oh, right. Starfleet. No pockets. ;)
[quote:post_uid0]
Rabal: That's not her style. I'm sure she wants to do something more dramatic -- like handcuff herself to the nearest area of subspace instability.
[/quote:post_uid0] :D

Yet Another Good One™, Marc! :)[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
09-12-2003, 10:08 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> I'm going to assume said Geordi/Data scene borrows somewhat from Reading Rainbow, because I've never watched that show <<

I've never watched it either, so any resemblance is purely coincidental.

>> Yet Another Good One™, Marc! <<

Thanks! :) After having poked some fun at right-wing authoritarianism earlier in the week, I figured that it was only fair to poke some fun at left-wing radical environmentalism in this fiver, in the interests of balanced reporting.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
09-13-2003, 12:43 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Good stuff, Marc!

[quote:post_uid0]Picard: Can their theory be verified?
Data: Not without more research. Perhaps they should conduct an experiment in which a warp-driven ship would travel back and forth across this area millions of times.
Serova: That's unacceptable! It would take much too long!
Rabal: And getting a research grant application approved would take even longer![/quote:post_uid0]

Heh heh heh heh heh... I can SO see that.

Excellent work, Zeke and Marc![/color:post_uid0]

taya17
09-13-2003, 01:21 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Marc"]By a strange coincidence, I saw a Reuters news story on the CNN site today titled "Antarctic Ozone Hole Biggest Ever." Â No comments on the subject from Greenpeace yet, but I'm sure they will make good use of this latest, er, data.[/quote:post_uid0]

Can you get [i:post_uid0]any[/i:post_uid0] more corny?

Wait. That wasn't a challenge. :smile:

Once again, great job![/color:post_uid0]

Standback
09-13-2003, 08:28 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Um, is it just me, or is the front page stuck on the 9/11 message? I saw the Friday update, but today it seems back to 9/11...[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
09-13-2003, 08:51 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Not here. Have you tried to refresh?[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
09-13-2003, 11:07 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Repeatedly. Both URLs, as well (3sygma and scifivers).

I don't know whether to find the fact that it's just me to be more or less worrisome.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
09-14-2003, 06:21 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]This is getting extremely irritating. Us Israelis often claim we've got 9/11 the whole year round, but this is ridiculous.

And it's only on my computer, too. I keep trying to clean out temporary files and everything - no help.

Evil, evil computer...[/color:post_uid0]