PDA

View Full Version : October 30

Zeke
10-31-2003, 02:06 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]

Today is yet [i:post_uid0]another[/i:post_uid0] milestone for Marc (his third in two months!). Â First 5MNG turned two, then it hit 50%, and now Marc has written his 47th fiver. Â That makes him the first person to do so besides me; all three of the other staffers are almost there, so it was a close one.

Marc's fiver is new territory for him in more than one way: it's his first non-Trek fiver and his first two-parter. Â Believe it or not, he picked [i:post_uid0]Battlestar Galactica.[/i:post_uid0] Â The fiver is "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero (../scifivers/thegunoniceplanetzero.html)," and you're sure to find it an interesting read. Â When you're done, you might want to drop by the comment thread to give Marc your congratulations. Â I'll give him mine here: nicely done, Marc, and here's to another 47.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
10-31-2003, 02:54 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Rigel: Commander, our scouts report a small moon in the Navarone sector.
Adama: Ambient conditions?
Rigel: Category M-1, which is defined as, "If hell were to freeze over, it would look like this."[/quote:post_uid0]
Heeheehee.

[quote:post_uid0]Tigh: Yes, sir. How many of these dirty thugs will be required?
Adama: If you can manage it, a dozen would do nicely.[/quote:post_uid0]
Another covert reference. :smile:

[quote:post_uid0]Apollo: Then why does it have a giant gunsight mounted on its barrel?
Ravishol: To locate planets that aren't listed in the interstellar telephone directory, of course.[/quote:post_uid0]
Heehee. :smile:

[quote:post_uid0]Ravishol: I take pride in my work, Captain. Only an idiot would create a super energy weapon that could be defeated by exploiting a trivial design flaw.[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol: Lots of funny stuff, all right.[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
10-31-2003, 01:26 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Great Fiver

When do we expect to have more Voyager fivers?[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli
10-31-2003, 01:47 PM
[quote:post_uid0="NeoMatrix"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Great Fiver

When do we expect to have more Voyager fivers?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Quite soon... I`m writing one, :)[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli
10-31-2003, 01:54 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Croft: That's not the worst of it. If it goes much lower, the di-ethene in the atmosphere will reach "death point" -- meaning the air will start to liquefy.
Starbuck: We're in serious trouble! I don't know how to swim! [/quote:post_uid0]

LOL, :)

[quote:post_uid0]Ravishol: I take pride in my work, Captain. Only an idiot would create a super energy weapon that could be defeated by exploiting a trivial design flaw.[/quote:post_uid0]

Brilliant! :D :D

Really a great fiver, Marc. I never got to see a single episode of Battlestar Galactica, but nevertheless the fiver sure made me laugh, :)

Hopefully I`ll get myself a satellite dish soon, to check out the series...

(oh, and the Dirty Dozen reference... hilarious!)[/color:post_uid0]

Anonymous
10-31-2003, 04:19 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Great fiver, Marc.

Are there any more BG fivers on the way? And are there any plans to five the new series that's coming out?[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
10-31-2003, 04:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Great fiver, Marc. [/quote:post_uid0]

Thanks. :)

[quote:post_uid0]Are there any more BG fivers on the way? And are there any plans to five the new series that's coming out? [/quote:post_uid0]

I don't have any immediate plans to write more, though there are a couple of episodes I might like to do in the future. As for the new series, I'm not aware of any plans to five it; Zeke would be in the best position to answer that question.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
10-31-2003, 05:41 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]So far, I haven't heard from anyone but Marc about [i:post_uid0]Battlestar Galactica[/i:post_uid0], either version. That may change now that we've published one, though.[/color:post_uid0]

Tate
10-31-2003, 07:14 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I liked: [quote:post_uid0]Tenna: Starbuck, look over there! They've captured Thane!
Cylon: (to Thane) What is this device we confiscated from you?
Thane: It's a cerebro-densitometer. It can measure the intelligence of the individual using it.
Cylon: How does it operate?
Thane: You just push that big red button right there in the middle.
(KA-BOOM! )
Starbuck: (to Tenna) I'd say that was a pretty conclusive test result. [/quote:post_uid0]

Good job.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
10-31-2003, 07:42 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Congrats on 47, Marc. I wondered which of the four of us would break 47 first.[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
10-31-2003, 08:13 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Someone broke 47? Well, you'd better get it fixed right away!

Sometimes I just can't help myself.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
11-03-2003, 05:42 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Happy #47, Marc. :)
[quote:post_uid0]Cylon: It is the floor plate you should worry about. It artificially induces the same kind of foot pain experienced by a waitress after an overtime shift.
[/quote:post_uid0]
[i:post_uid0]*gasp!*[/i:post_uid0] 8|

Good one, Marc. By chance, you chose one of the only [i:post_uid0]Battlestar Galactica[/i:post_uid0] I can remember fairly clearly. Liked the business with the centons, too. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
11-03-2003, 09:30 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]By chance, you chose one of the only Battlestar Galactica I can remember fairly clearly. [/quote:post_uid0]

Despite the merciless ribbing I gave it in my fiver, this episode is actually an old favourite of mine. And I only saw "The Guns of Navarone" (the obvious source of the plot) long [i:post_uid0]after[/i:post_uid0] seeing "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero," which was a very strange experience.

[quote:post_uid0]Liked the business with the centons, too.[/quote:post_uid0]

Yes, one of the things I found annoying about Galactica was its sloppy use of terminology. Not only did they not seem to know (for instance) the difference between solar systems and galaxies, they weren't even consistent about the meaning of their own made-up units of measurement.

On the other hand, some of their howlers had a certain Ed Woodian charm to them -- like, for instance, the scene early in "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero" where Colonel Tigh agrees to Starbuck's request to go orbit the planet, but cautions him to stay out of its gravitational field. Neat trick if you can pull it off. :)[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
11-04-2003, 01:51 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]You're not planning to do any more are you, Marc?[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
11-04-2003, 03:38 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Marc"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Neat trick if you can pull it off.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'd say so. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
11-04-2003, 04:08 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]You're not planning to do any more are you, Marc?[/quote:post_uid0]

Hmm...I can't quite figure out if that's a request for an encore or a plea for mercy. ;) Anyway, the answer is: I don't have any immediate plans to write more, though there are a couple of episodes I might like to do in the future.[/color:post_uid0]