PDA

View Full Version : October 3 and 4

Zeke
10-04-2003, 09:19 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Here, at last, is the promised event of this week: a major expansion of our [i:post_uid0]Babylon 5[/i:post_uid0] content, and changes in Sci-Fivers to go with it. Â Here's the run-down:
<ul> Nan and Sa'ar Chasm are the big producers this time, having written [i:post_uid0]three[/i:post_uid0] B5 fivers faster than you'd believe. Â Their joint contributions are "Comes the Inquisitor (../scifivers/comestheinquisitor.html)," "Ceremonies of Light and Dark (../scifivers/ceremoniesoflightanddark.html)," and "A Late Delivery From Avalon (../scifivers/alatedeliveryfromavalon.html)."
Making her debut with this event is someone the forumgoers will recognize: Taya17. Â An old Deltachat buddy of mine, she's contributed Five-Minute "The Parliament of Dreams (../scifivers/theparliamentofdreams.html)."
I decided to take this opportunity to do my usual fiving-the-pilot thing. Â B5 started with a movie called "The Gathering," but I went with the first actual episode, "Midnight on the Firing Line (../scifivers/midnightonthefiringline.html)."
Finally, you'll notice that Sci-Fivers now has a new front page, and that the B5 and Movies sections have been upgraded to "minisites." Â This is for several reasons -- mainly to keep the size of the 5MSF front page down, but also because both sections will continue to grow, and because I just like making new graphics. Â (There's another reason you'll be finding out before long.) Â The new subsite FAQ will also appear in the next few days.[/list]
And that's the event. Â Thanks for your patience; hope you enjoy it, though I admit its appeal is probably limited to [i:post_uid0]Babylon 5[/i:post_uid0] fans. Â (If you're not into B5, by the way, I seriously recommend getting into it.) Â For the next few days we'll be back to more usual stuff, including my next [i:post_uid0]Enterprise[/i:post_uid0] fiver and some new material from Kira. Â Don't miss it.

(Oh, speaking of Kira, she put in a lot of extra work on this event. Â She oversaw the editing process for the guest fivers and did all the boring parts of the HTML work. Â My thanks to her for this latest round of exemplary Site Managing.)[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
10-04-2003, 09:43 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Investors: Congratulations, you've just won a million dollars!
Sakai: I said I was anti-game show!
Investors: This isn't a game show.
Sakai: Then explain the cheesy synthesizer music!
Investors: That's the Vorlon over there. Ignore it. [/quote:post_uid0]

*snicker* Can't go wrong with Vorlons.

[quote:post_uid0]Tu'Pari: You see, the Assassin's Guild teaches us a variety of interesting torture methods. Like endless re-runs of reality TV shows, or worse
G'Kar: The run-up to the Californian elections?
Tu'Pari: Worse.
G'Kar: Not... not Titanic?
Tu'Pari: BWAAHAHAHAHA!
[/quote:post_uid0]

*shudder* Eeeeevil.

[quote:post_uid0]Sinclair: I was supposed to demonstrate Earth's major belief system to you, but since showcasing religious beliefs would probably start terrorist attacks or gratuitous wars, I've decided to focus on some other equally gruesome aspect of Earth culture: inexplicable late twentieth century entertainment fads.
Celine Dion: Near... far... wherever you are....
Everybody: AAAAAAH NOOOOOOO!

Never pass up a chance to continue a running gag. Nice work, dear.

[quote:post_uid0]Talia: Hi, I'm Talia from Psi Corps. I'm supposed to check in with you.
Ivanova: That's good. Next you'll have to check in with Nightwatch, then Hitler, then SATAN IN HELL.
Talia: You're not... angry with me, are you?
Ivanova: You are the absolute worst telepath ever. [/quote:post_uid0]

*znerk*

[quote:post_uid0]Garibaldi: Please. I've watched enough Daffy Duck to know that choking can only result in amusement. [/quote:post_uid0]

This is true. Cartoon violence = fun

[quote:post_uid0]Sinclair: You must know something about all this.
Kosh: Questions do not lead to understanding.
Sinclair: Isn't there anything you can tell me?
Kosh: The wall does not yet have enough ears.
Sinclair: I'll, um, see you later.
Kosh: Ferrets roam. [/quote:post_uid0]

I love Kosh. He's so incoherent.

[quote:post_uid0]Garibaldi: Hi.
Talia: Hi.
Garibaldi: So....
Talia: No.
Garibaldi: Aw. [/quote:post_uid0]

*snicker*[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
10-04-2003, 10:25 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]::Sobs at own staple-SF boorishness. Complains loudly about lack of quality programming in Israel. Also about incredibly high cost of DVD full-season boxed sets.::

::Resumes work on his time machine, so he can just go far into the future, when series takes place, and experience the whole thing firsthand.::[/color:post_uid0]

taya17
10-05-2003, 01:49 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Sheridan: Cute accent weakening resolve... brains going dribbly....
Delenn: Thanks, you're a dear.

What brains? :snicker:

[quote:post_uid0]Sebastian: What is your name?
Delenn: Del--
Sebastian: (ZAP! ) Wrong. You will refer to yourself as Squeakybobo. What is your quest?
Delenn: I am on a holy mission to--
Sebastian: (ZAP! ) Wrong. You seek the Holey Sock. What is the capital of Assyria?

You guys will be the DEATH of me, I swear! I think I laughed a few major organs out through my nose, here...

[quote:post_uid0]Marcus: Hello, gents. I'm looking for a brunette about yea tall, accompanied by a cadre of fanatics?

Whichever of you wrote this line shall soon expect a visit from my trusty baguette. ;)

[quote:post_uid0]Sniper Guy: Look at my creepy eyes!
Delenn: You've got nothing on Gowron. I pity you.

Running gags... heheheh :snerfle:

[quote:post_uid0]
Sheridan: Delegates from the League of Nonaligned Worlds, as you know Babylon 5 cannot defend itself now that we have broken away from Earth. In order to continue trading here, each of your governments must provide one ship.
Delegate: Sounds reasonable.
Sheridan: Armed with cream pies.
Delegate: Can we get back to you on that?

[i:post_uid0]Orange[/i:post_uid0] cream pies.

[quote:post_uid0]Talia: Hi, I'm Talia from Psi Corps. I'm supposed to check in with you.
Ivanova: That's good. Next you'll have to check in with Nightwatch, then Hitler, then SATAN IN HELL.
Talia: You're not... angry with me, are you?
Ivanova: You are the absolute worst telepath ever.

:snerfle: That wasn't a oblique PotC reference, was it?

Great stuff. :) Whatever Zeke said about the B5 fandom-- agreed. Go find synopses online, or something. :D

[quote:post_uid0]::Resumes work on his time machine, so he can just go far into the future, when series takes place, and experience the whole thing firsthand.:: [/quote:post_uid0]

You're going into the future? I want in too! Wait for me![/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
10-05-2003, 02:13 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Whichever of you wrote this line shall soon expect a visit from my trusty baguette.[/quote:post_uid0]

I'd tell you, but then Nan would whack me for ratting her out, so I'm hosed either way.

[quote:post_uid0]You guys will be the DEATH of me, I swear! I think I laughed a few major organs out through my nose, here...[/quote:post_uid0]

Should I come kiss it better?[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
10-05-2003, 02:56 AM
[quote:post_uid0="taya17"][color=#000000:post_uid0]:snerfle: That wasn't a oblique PotC reference, was it?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Pirates of the Caribbean? No, though I've seen it. That scene wasn't a reference that I'm aware of.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
10-05-2003, 08:00 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]G'Kar: (slices hand) These droplets of blood are a visual metaphor for the countless Narn killed by the Centauri. How do you apologize to those visual metaphors?
Vir: I can't apologize to visual metaph--
G'Kar: Then bite me.[/quote:post_uid0]
That and all the Monty Python references = :D.

[quote:post_uid0]Sebastian: What is your name?
Delenn: Del--
Sebastian: (ZAP!) Wrong. You will refer to yourself as Squeakybobo.[/quote:post_uid0]
ROFL! Hilarious!

[quote:post_uid0]Delenn: I underst--what?
Marcus: My roomate during Ranger training was fond of practical jokes.[/quote:post_uid0]
Heehee.
[quote:post_uid0]Lennier: I hope you had a plan besides beating them all senseless.
Marcus: Yes. Wait for them to wake up so I can beat them senseless again.
Lennier: I don't know what Delenn sees in your species.[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol:
[quote:post_uid0]Lennier: The wreck of the good 'ship D/L.
Marcus: Oh stop slashing yourself and help me with the interrogation.[/quote:post_uid0]
Heheheh. Good one.

[quote:post_uid0]Ivanova: Maybe if we built a giant wooden Death Star...
Sheridan: Yeah!
Ivanova: On second thought, let's not do that. It's silly.
Arthur: Is this a dagger I see before me?
Sword: No, genius, I'm a broadsword. Actually, I'm a metaphor for your pain, but close enough.
Arthur: A shiny metaphor.[/quote:post_uid0]
That was all silly. As were [i:post_uid0]all[/i:post_uid0] the Monty Python references. Were you two going for a record in that respect? ;)

[quote:post_uid0]G'Kar: Zzzzz... Grunt... Zzzzzz....
Black Flower: Peekaboo!
G'Kar: AAAAAAAH MOMMY!
G'Kar: Quick! I need fearsome bodyguards to protect me!
N'Grath: I have a couple of rabid fangirls on board. Will they do?
G'Kar: Oh, perfect!

G'Kar: Not... not Titanic?
Tu'Pari: BWAAHAHAHAHA!
G'Kar: AAAAH MOMMY! NO! YOU'RE EVIL!

Sinclair: GAH! My pants have multiple personality disorder![/quote:post_uid0]
:lol: :lol:

[quote:post_uid0]Vir: We got some footage of the attack on the colony! Let's play it!
Londo: Excuse me? I'm trying to watch All My Follicles.
Vir: Don't you think this is more important?
Londo: You have a lot to learn about me, young padawan.[/quote:post_uid0]
Funny stuff.
[quote:post_uid0]Sinclair: Here come the raiders. Rogue Two, move in!
Starfury Pilot: (over the comm) Copy, Rogue Leader.[/quote:post_uid0]
Well, [i:post_uid0]I[/i:post_uid0] caught that.

(EDIT)
[quote:post_uid0]Finally, you'll notice that Sci-Fivers now has a new front page,...This is for several reasons...because both sections will continue to grow, and because I just like making new graphics. Â (There's another reason you'll be finding out before long.)[/quote:post_uid0]

I feel teased. :mad: :crying: :p[/color:post_uid0]

FatMatDuhRat
10-06-2003, 04:17 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Zeke"]Oh, speaking of Kira, she put in a lot of extra work on this event.[/quote:post_uid0]
[b:post_uid0]Zeke[/b:post_uid0] is a very humble person, we should all give him some pie.
Mmmm... [b:post_uid0][i:post_uid0]humble pie.[/i:post_uid0][/b:post_uid0]
:p
But he's correct about how good [b:post_uid0]B5[/b:post_uid0] is, and anyone who's
into sci-fi should definitely try to check out that show. I
remember when it first was on TV, and also the first time
[b:post_uid0]Walter Koeing[/b:post_uid0] appeared as a guest star. The makeup for
most of the aliens was pretty cool, and the CG art used
to depict all of the various B5 spacecraft is top notch.
:smile:
I've only seen about 20 or 30 eps of this show, but I'd
like to try & pick up every season on DVD one of these
days when I can afford it.

[b:post_uid0]Z,[/b:post_uid0] you did an excellent depiction of [b:post_uid0]Kosh[/b:post_uid0] in yr 5ER, and
this part was also highly hilarious:

[b:post_uid0]Garibaldi:[/b:post_uid0] Hi.
[b:post_uid0]Talia:[/b:post_uid0] Hi.
[b:post_uid0]Garibaldi:[/b:post_uid0] So....
[b:post_uid0]Talia:[/b:post_uid0] No.
[b:post_uid0]Garibaldi:[/b:post_uid0] Aw.

There were many other parts that I'll comment on another
time, but the new 5-Min-SF section looks great, esp. the
graphics for 5-Min-Movies. [b:post_uid0]*thunderous applause*[/b:post_uid0]
:bigsmile:[/color:post_uid0]

Kristina
10-06-2003, 07:45 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]G'Kar as Cassandra, Delenn of Troy, Vir as a padawan, Titanic as torture, and Spam-flavored Spoo... if you don't see me around here for a while, that's because my sides are on the verge of splitting. :lol:

I'd better freshen up on my sewing skills. Â ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Nan
10-06-2003, 04:40 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]I'd tell you, but then Nan would whack me for ratting her out, so I'm hosed either way.[/quote:post_uid0]
*[b:post_uid0]WHACK![/b:post_uid0]*

*runs away*[/color:post_uid0]

taya17
10-06-2003, 11:45 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'd whack the both of you, except that some moron has stolen my baguette. Count yourselves lucky ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
10-07-2003, 01:15 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]::wipes the crumbs off her mouth::[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
10-07-2003, 02:40 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]That was all silly. As were all the Monty Python references. Were you two going for a record in that respect?[/quote:post_uid0]

No, it's just easier to steal lines off someone else than to write them yourself *snicker*. I don't think there's more than one original line in the whole fight sequence.

[quote:post_uid0]*WHACK!*[/quote:post_uid0]

See?

[quote:post_uid0]I'd whack the both of you, except that some moron has stolen my baguette. Count yourselves lucky[/quote:post_uid0]

Lucky is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad.

/Rincewind[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
10-07-2003, 03:27 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ferrets. Heh hee hee. :lol:

Great job, everybody -- I'm hurting from giggling too much. Still chasing down all the references, so I'll confine myself to asking whence came the G'Kar/Cassandra lines -- couldn't place them.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
11-29-2003, 02:30 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]^ Over a month and a half is long enough to wait for an answer.

JMS made G'Kar into a Cassandra figure - cursed to tell the truth but be believed by nobody. Â It's all very mythic.

After the sack of Troy, Cassandra was awarded to Agamemnon as a spoil of war. Â G'Kar ended up under Sheridan's wing after Narn was conquered. Â Sheridan's old ship was the Agamemnon. Â You'd almost think JMS planned that in advance.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
11-29-2003, 03:54 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]S'okay, I wasn't in any real hurry. Now I had an excuse to read these again and laugh myself into a state of semi-paralysis all over. :D

What I was getting at, though, was not the explanation of why G'Kar was a Cassandra figure -- that's easy enough to work out -- but the lines themselves (G'Kar's, in the first scene.) While all the Python, Shakespeare and other sources were pretty simple to trace, those lines had me stumped. (They sounded as if they were referring to a specific work, but if so, which one managed to elude me.)[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
11-29-2003, 04:27 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Now I had an excuse to read these again and laugh myself into a state of semi-paralysis all over.[/quote:post_uid0]

You're too kind. I reread them as well. They're funnier when you're not burned out from writing them. *g*

[quote:post_uid0]They sounded as if they were referring to a specific work, but if so, which one managed to elude me.[/quote:post_uid0]

Ah, well you'll have to take that up with Nan. She wrote the bulk of that first scene. I suspect, though, that "Woe betide ye, Agamemnon" is from someone's translation of The Illiad.[/color:post_uid0]