PDA

View Full Version : January 23

Zeke
01-24-2004, 01:19 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]

As promised, here's Five-Minute "North Star (../enterprise/northstar.html)." (The intro is a parody of [i:post_uid0]Firefly[/i:post_uid0]'s, if you haven't seen that series.)

This weekend, along with at least one more fiver, I'll be talking about a number of things, some site-related and some not. One I'll mention right now, though: you guys are giving us some great hitcounts lately. Thanks![/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane
01-24-2004, 02:37 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]About yesterdays update, i'd like to say that i was browsing Enterprise Odditys [i:post_uid0]when[/i:post_uid0] it went ran out of bandwith :D  ;)  I feel like I’ve really accomplished something  ;)

On to today!

[quote:post_uid0]Phlox: It's a nasty gunshot wound, but she'll live. If I want her to. I have that power, you see.
Archer: I don't suppose you can wipe her memory while you're at it?
Phlox: Find me a transdimensional space parasite and we'll talk.[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Sato: I've translated the database from the Skagaran ship. Really, I have. Please believe me. All right! I admit it. I was just pretending so I could play a part at the meeting.
Archer: What did you find?
Sato: A quarter under my cushion.
Archer: Good. Mr. Mayweather, do you have anything to add?
Mayweather: Don't get me started.
Archer: Righto. [/quote:post_uid0]

:lol: That is the last time i ever drink coffee while reading a fiver! You owe me a new laptop mister! Â :swear: Â ;)[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
01-24-2004, 04:40 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Another good one, Z.

I kinda figured the intro was from [i:post_uid0]Firefly[/i:post_uid0], but I had to check.

Other stuff:
[quote:post_uid0]Â Â Â Â
Bad Cowboy 2: Hey, where's Tim? He likes lynching.
Bad Cowboy 1: He's too busy these days. We'll have to do it without him.
------
Tucker: "Spike," huh? Bloody cool.
------
Archer: Good. Mr. Mayweather, do you have anything to add?
Mayweather: Don't get me started.
Archer: Righto.
[/quote:post_uid0] :D

and
[quote:post_uid0]Shuttlepod: LAND
Townsfolk: AAAAA!
------
Reed: It's nothing personal, sir. I wouldn't hold my fire for God himself.
------
Bennings: Ha! I shot the sheriff!
Reed: But I didn't? Shoot! The deputy is mine, then.
[/quote:post_uid0] :D, some more.

Liked the "[i:post_uid0]Wild Wild West[/i:post_uid0] in the Expanse" line, but it's unfortunate most will think of the movie. Wasn't sure which Hodgson was being referred to. The final scene was very familiar, but I haven't placed it yet.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
01-24-2004, 04:46 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Argh, can't edit. :madder:

Liked the blurb, too.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
01-24-2004, 05:15 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]No worries, Shark -- some of us have admin power. :D

The Hodgson thing is a TOS reference. In one episode ("Patterns of Force," right, IJD?), Spock refers to Hodgson's Law of Parallel Planetary Development, which explained away the Earthlike planets Kirk kept running into. As for the final scene, don't hurt your head trying to figure out what it's referencing -- it's original.

Not a [i:post_uid0]Wild Wild West[/i:post_uid0] fan, eh? Perhaps you'd better not read the disclaimer on this fiver at Trek Nation (http://www.treknation.com/reviews/fiver/north_star.shtml)....[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
01-24-2004, 06:47 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]No worries, Shark -- some of us have admin power. :D
[/quote:post_uid0]
Huzzah for admin power! Thanks. :)
[quote:post_uid0]Not a [i:post_uid0]Wild Wild West[/i:post_uid0] fan, eh? Â Perhaps you'd better not read the disclaimer on this fiver at Trek Nation (http://www.treknation.com/reviews/fiver/north_star.shtml)....
[quote:post_uid0]
I finally saw the movie not too long ago. Don't get me wrong: I didn't hate it -- I like Will Smith; the song's okay; it's a pretty entertaining Will Smith Movie™ -- but ...

Speaking as someone who watched the series during the same time as [i:post_uid0]Star Trek[/i:post_uid0] was in first run (and thought that James West was the only guy who could [i:post_uid0]possibly[/i:post_uid0] be cooler than Captain Kirk,) it ain't [i:post_uid0]The Wild Wild West[/i:post_uid0]. Picture a movie radically "re-imagining" [i:post_uid0]Star Trek[/i:post_uid0], with Will Smith cast as James T. Kirk, wisecracking his way across the galaxy, and you sorta get the idea. Far more trivial "offenses" cause heads to explode every week at the TrekBBS ENT Forum. ;)

Good of you to point me to the disclaimer -- I'd missed that the first time I read the fiver. :lol:

I'd also forgotten about that bit in [i:post_uid0]Patterns of Force[/i:post_uid0].[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
01-24-2004, 10:09 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0][i:post_uid0]Captain's Starlog: The best part of being in Starfleet is that you never stop learning new things. I --[/i:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
:lol:
[quote:post_uid0]Bennings: Ha! I shot the sheriff!
Reed: But I didn't? Shoot! The deputy is mine, then.[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol: :lol:

Heh. No better way to start the day than with a bright new fiver. :D

As for the disclaimer, *blink*[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
01-24-2004, 06:20 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000:post_uid0]The Hodgson thing is a TOS reference. In one episode ("Patterns of Force," right, IJD?), Spock refers to Hodgson's Law of Parallel Planetary Development, which explained away the Earthlike planets Kirk kept running into.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I thought it was "Bread and Circuses".

Anyway, great fiver, Zeke. The "I shot the sheriff" joke gets special groan mention, but the whole fiver was absolutely superb.[/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane
01-24-2004, 06:48 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Bennings: Ha! I shot the sheriff!
Reed: But I didn't? Shoot! The deputy is mine, then.[/quote:post_uid0]

I just remembered that when I watched this episode I started shouted "I shot the sheriff." realy loud... purely to bug my little brother who was on the phone of course ;) Yes i remember now I had alot of fun watching that episode :bigsmile: :evil:[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
01-24-2004, 07:21 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]T'Pol: You can't drive a starship. I've seen you try. So did five other crewmen who didn't live to tell the tale.

Archer: Um... Porthos. No, that's stupid. Bill. Porthos Bill.
Bethany: Funny... I've never met you before, but something about you feels trustworthy and good.
Archer: I think it's the hat.[/quote:post_uid0]

Heeheehee.

[quote:post_uid0]Archer: Speaking of which, in case she asks, our cover story is that we're a hockey team from Minnesota.[/quote:post_uid0]
Ha! :lol:

[quote:post_uid0]Bethany: And what would 4 times 7 be, class?
Skagaran Kids: 28!
Captain's Starlog: The best part of being in Starfleet is that you never stop learning new things.

Archer: Yeughhhh! This Skagaran ale should be illegal.
MacReady: It is.
Archer: Then it should be more illegal.[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol: Those passages were great![/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi
01-24-2004, 07:52 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I only read the into bit ('cause I like [i:post_uid0]Firefly[/i:post_uid0]), and it was v. funny indeed. I shall leave the rest until I've actually seen the episode in question (as with some of the other ENT fivers).[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark
01-24-2004, 10:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Derek"]I thought it was "Bread and Circuses".[/quote:post_uid0]
Sector 001 (http://www.powernet.net/~jcrafton/academia.html) would seem to confirm this.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
01-25-2004, 12:19 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> Trek Today Jan 23 - 5-Minute Enterprise: North Star
'Cause I've got faith of the horse... I'm goin' where my horse will take me.... <<

Archer as a singing cowboy -- I love it. :)

>> Spock refers to Hodgson's Law of Parallel Planetary Development <<

Actually, it's Hodgkins' Law, according to my Trek Encyclopedia.

>> ("Patterns of Force," right, IJD?) / I thought it was "Bread and Circuses". <<

Yup, B&C.

>> Tucker: Just shush and enjoy the experience. It ain't every day you and me go bareback riding. <<

Gulp....

Great fiver Zeke![/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
01-26-2004, 03:58 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I've done some digging and managed to find an official enough answer to this Hodgwhatever question. First, yes, it was "Bread and Circuses," and yes, it was Hodgkin, not Hodgson. I am shamed. What was harder was finding out whether it's "Hodgkin's" or "Hodgkins'." I finally got a convincing answer at a really neat page called Star Trek: The Lost Books (http://www.well.com/user/sjroby/lostbooks.html). Mentioned there is an unpublished book on the worlds of TOS which was going to be called [i:post_uid0]The Star Trek Guide to Parallel Planets: Hodgkin's Law[/i:post_uid0]. Anyone publishing a book with that reference in the title would have checked the original script, so I'm going with "Hodgkin." Thanks for the corrections, all.[/color:post_uid0]