PDA

View Full Version : February 4

Zeke
02-04-2004, 03:42 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]

Today we've got a new fiver from Marc: "The Enemy (../nextgen/theenemy.html)." This is actually the first Next Gen fiver in over two months, to my surprise. Fortunately, you won't have to wait that long for the next one.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
02-04-2004, 04:06 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Romulan: No! I totally deny having a companion or engaging in espionage or even being on Galorndon Core!
Riker: We found you on the planet's surface!
Romulan: No you didn't.[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Picard: Of course. And just how many individuals were on that ship?
Tomalak: That depends. How many have you found?[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Tomalak: (on viewscreen) Then cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!
Data: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene 1.
Tomalak: You cannot fully appreciate Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Romulan.[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Bochra: No, sir...and I told them nothing about the co-pilot who was with me or the secret spy mission we were on.
Tomalak: Excellent. It is fortunate we trained you to resist interrogation before we sent you on this assignment.[/quote:post_uid0]

:lol:

Way to go, Marc. :)[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli
02-04-2004, 06:34 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Riker: We weren't able to find La Forge before our beam-up window closed. He's lost somewhere on the planet.
Picard: This is grave development indeed. I don't suppose that the injured Romulan you brought back happens to be an unemployed engineer?
Riker: No such luck, I'm afraid.
[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Wesley: ...so if we use a probe to send a portable neutrino-beam generator to the surface, Geordi will be able to detect it with his VISOR and modify the pulse to serve as a signal beacon that would let us know....
Data: Excuse me for interrupting, but I have picked up a signal indicating that a Romulan Warbird is entering the Neutral Zone and heading towards us.
Picard: Rarely has such bad news come at such a welcome moment. [/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Bochra: Nonsense. Romulans don't have a nervous system. [/quote:post_uid0]

These were all hilarious, but this:

[quote:post_uid0]Picard: Mr. Worf, I beg you to volunteer to save the life of the Romulan so that we can avoid an incident that might lead to a war that would end civilization as we know it.
Worf: Are you ordering me to do so, sir?
Picard: No, I don't wish to place undue pressure on you.
[/quote:post_uid0]

...was hysterical! Â Â :lol: :D :lol:[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
02-04-2004, 12:29 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Bochra: Yes, but you should see how ridiculous your tricorder now looks.
La Forge: The last thing we need right now are lame jokes, Bochra.[/quote:post_uid0]
Great fiver, Marc.[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
02-04-2004, 05:38 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Just how long do we have to wait for another Voyager fiver? I thought this was 5M[b:post_uid0]V[/b:post_uid0], lol[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
02-04-2004, 06:55 PM
[quote:post_uid0="NeoMatrix"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Just how long do we have to wait for another Voyager fiver?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yeah Zeke! Voyager fivers! :P don't make me start a riot.

Cause i'll do it.[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix
02-04-2004, 07:19 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]a riot? I dont think we have enough pitch forks to have a riot with, lol.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
02-04-2004, 07:28 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Meh, we have 17's Baguette, and someone could steal a Hammer of Smiting. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
02-04-2004, 08:43 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Guys, no problem with bringing this up, but let's keep this thread on the topic of Marc's excellent fiver, eh? :) 5MV Talk is the place to hassle me about [i:post_uid0]Voyager[/i:post_uid0].[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
02-04-2004, 11:48 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Today we've got a new fiver from Marc: "The Enemy." [/quote:post_uid0]

And today's bonus quiz question is: Can you spot the Dr Strangelove reference in the fiver?[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-05-2004, 02:22 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]And today's bonus quiz question is: Can you spot the Dr Strangelove reference in the fiver?[/quote:post_uid0]

I'm going to say this:
[quote:post_uid0]La Forge: The more you keep denying everything, the more I'm convinced that you're here on an intelligence mission.
Bochra: That's not true!
La Forge: Case closed.[/quote:post_uid0]

There wasn't anything obvious, like "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room" or an image of somebody riding a nuclear bomb.

I noticed quite a few interfiver homages, including the [i:post_uid0]p'taH/veruul[/i:post_uid0] exchange and "We seem to have reached an impasse," as well as the one mentioned above.

What do I win?[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
02-05-2004, 05:00 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]>> I'm going to say this: <<

Nope, that wasn't it. :) I'll provide a hint if nobody catches it in the next couple of days.

>> What do I win? <<

Well, the quiz only concerned Dr Strangelove, and the right answer hasn't come up yet, and in any case no prize was at stake except the honour (such as it is) of getting congratulations -- so, I regret to say nothing. ;) Glad you caught the other reference jokes, however. Those are always fun to put into a fiver.[/color:post_uid0]

Gatac
02-05-2004, 07:41 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]*unlurk*

Actually, I've been meaning to register and join in for some time - it's just that there seems to be an awful lot of other things to do. I know, I know, move "Register at 5MV forums and warm up a tupperware full of Chakotay jokes" up to the top of the list.

The reason I'm posting: The Strangelove reference is the line:

[quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Worf:[/b:post_uid0] I refuse to donate my precious bodily fluids to this Romulan [i:post_uid0]pahtk[/i:post_uid0]![/quote:post_uid0]

All in all: great fiver !

Gatac[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
02-05-2004, 09:20 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Welcome Gatac -- and congratulations! Yes, it's an allusion to General Jack D. Ripper's theory that water fluoridation is a communist plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
02-06-2004, 12:40 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Marc"][color=#000000:post_uid0]water fluoridation is a communist plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]::Groans:: Take it from the Dental Hygienist. Water Flouridation is good for you! not only your teeth but your bones. You will not overdose on flouride with it, nor can you avoid flouride in water if you try. Most processed foods use water with flouride in it, plus flouride occurs naturaly in water anyways.

So drink it, and like it!

That is all. :)[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-06-2004, 01:01 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Take it from the Dental Hygienist. Water Flouridation is good for you[/quote:post_uid0]

Take is from the Chemist...it's spelled fluoridation.

Just teasing, Celeste. *wink*[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
02-06-2004, 10:03 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Take is from the Chemist...it's spelled fluoridation.[/quote:post_uid0]
Chemist, or English Geek? ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste
02-06-2004, 03:17 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Take is from the Chemist...it's spelled fluoridation[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Arrgh. And that is why I'm a sucky hygienist. lol[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]"Water Flouridation" is the process of adding flour to water as a first step in making bread and various other bakery products.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Arrgh. And that is why I'm a sucky hygienist[/quote:post_uid0]

S'OK. As Cat so gleefully pointed out (which means I can't fix it and pretend I never heard it), I made a typo while teasing your typo. Stupid poetic justice.

Uhh...back on topic. So...great fiver, Marc, even if it was heavy on borrowed jokes *wink* I suppose I should be flattered one of mine got sto^H^H^H paid homage to.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
02-06-2004, 06:06 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]I suppose I should be flattered one of mine got sto^H^H^H paid homage to.[/quote:post_uid0]

Actually, it's neither of the above. Which joke are you refering to? I've looked at your two DS9 fivers and I can't find a match, so I'm puzzled.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-06-2004, 06:57 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Actually, it's neither of the above. Which joke are you refering to? I've looked at your two DS9 fivers and I can't find a match, so I'm puzzled.[/quote:post_uid0]

It's actually one of the B5 ones I co-wrote with Nan: Comes the Inquisitor. There's a running gag with one of the Narns denying everything.

I guess it's just a case of great minds thinking alike.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
02-06-2004, 07:36 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]It's actually one of the B5 ones I co-wrote with Nan: Comes the Inquisitor. There's a running gag with one of the Narns denying everything.[/quote:post_uid0]

Ah, I see. I don't watch Babylon 5, so I deny reading your fivers for that show. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-06-2004, 08:01 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Ah, I see. I don't watch Babylon 5, so I deny reading your fivers for that show.[/quote:post_uid0]

No worries. I also tend not to read fivers of shows I haven't seen.

Maybe you can help me with something that's been bugging me: which of your fivers makes reference to the Klingon custom of the Sarcasm Before Death?[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
02-06-2004, 08:36 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Maybe you can help me with something that's been bugging me: which of your fivers makes reference to the Klingon custom of the Sarcasm Before Death?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]That was Zeke's BoBW fiver.[/color:post_uid0]

Marc
02-06-2004, 09:39 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]That was Zeke's BoBW fiver.[/quote:post_uid0]

Yup. The closest equivalent in one of my fivers is this line from Contagion:

[quote:post_uid0]Worf: Amazing. In all my life, I never thought I would ever hear a [i:post_uid0]kas-volch'iq-nedah't[/i:post_uid0].
Picard: A what?
Worf: In Klingon it means, "pun worthy of instant death unless it comes from a man with his finger on a planetary self-destruct button." [/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-07-2004, 02:30 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]That was Zeke's BoBW fiver.[/quote:post_uid0]

This has since been pointed out to me over a pool table. (For those keeping score, out of three games I won 1 and Zeke won the other 8. Must be that Advanced Math).

[quote:post_uid0]The closest equivalent in one of my fivers is this line from Contagion:[/quote:post_uid0]

That's what confused me. I got my imaginary Klingons traditions mixed up.[/color:post_uid0]