PDA

View Full Version : February 2

Zeke
02-02-2004, 04:51 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]

Before our little server mishap, I said I was hoping to make last week a week of many fivers. That's no longer possible -- so you'll just have to settle for [i:post_uid0]this[/i:post_uid0] week being one. <g>

Today I've got a new videogame fiver for you, and if you know me and 5MVG, you know it's Mega Man. This one is a fiver in one more sense than usual because it actually covers five games. Back when they were making Mega Man games for the original Nintendo, they did this thing of taking half the bosses from each pair of consecutive games and putting them in a smaller game for the Game Boy. For example, the first Mega Man Game Boy game featured four bosses from [i:post_uid0]Mega Man 1[/i:post_uid0] and four from [i:post_uid0]Mega Man 2[/i:post_uid0]. While each of the first four also had a new miniboss, there's just too much character repetition to make them fiver material. However, the [i:post_uid0]fifth[/i:post_uid0] was all original, and interesting to boot.

So rather than have only the fifth Game Boy game fived, I've done minifivers to cover the original parts of the first four, and a full fiver for the fifth. (Say that five times fast.) The result is Five-Minute [i:post_uid0]Mega Man[/i:post_uid0]: The Game Boy Games (../videogames/megamangb.html). I'm aware that the audience for these is pretty limited, but hey -- my little brothers love my Mega Man fivers, and that's enough for me. (Also, switching series once in a while keeps me creative. Think of this as practice for those Ent fivers I'm behind on.)

Finally, happy birthday to Sa'ar Chasm! You've heard that name here before -- Sa'ar is a five-time guest writer and prominent forumgoer. There's more to come from him, too.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-02-2004, 05:03 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Enker: Hey, that's... but... now just a... I... ARRGH!
(BOOM)
Mega Man: Thank you, Captain Kirk.[/quote:post_uid0]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Brilliant.[/color:post_uid0]

ijdgaf
02-02-2004, 05:16 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Enker: Hey, that's... but... now just a... I... ARRGH!
(BOOM)
Mega Man: Thank you, Captain Kirk.[/quote:post_uid0]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Â Brilliant.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]That was pretty great. You've convinced me; I'll buy the compilation for my GBA.

After Metroid: Zero Mission, of course.[/color:post_uid0]

Michiel
02-02-2004, 12:02 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]You know what could make for some good fivers? Megaman Battle Network 1, 2, 3 (, 4) for the Gameboy Advance. They actually have a good storyline to work with.

[u:post_uid0]Edit:[/u:post_uid0] Oh, and happy birthday, Sa'ar! :)[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
02-02-2004, 03:06 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Happy birthday, Sa'ar!

Good time to ask you... what're you doing with yourself nowadays? (I think I'm less familiar with most of you than you are with each other... I honestly don't know what most of you do in RL... and now's as good a time to ask as any :D ).[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
02-02-2004, 04:05 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Michiel"]You know what could make for some good fivers? Megaman Battle Network 1, 2, 3 (, 4) for the Gameboy Advance.[/quote:post_uid0]
I do plan to do those, but there are others I'd like to do first. Â I'm a huge X-series fan, for example, and Mega Man Zero is one of the best games ever. Â There are also a couple of original-series games I haven't done yet, like Mega Man & Bass. Â Battle Network is a great game, but it may be a while before I get to that one -- though I'll take into account the fact that it's been requested. Â (Also, I'm not done playing through BN yet. Â I'm up to WoodMan.)

Oh, and there's that small matter of [i:post_uid0]Enterprise[/i:post_uid0]. And VVS9. And....[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli
02-02-2004, 07:25 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I`ve never played these games, but still, funny fivers!

[i:post_uid0]As opposed to how sane he usually is?[/i:post_uid0]

:D Great line. Comes to me every time someone questions the sanity of a villain!

Happy birthday, Sa`ar! Any surprise parties? :D[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli
02-02-2004, 07:29 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Good time to ask you... what're you doing with yourself nowadays? (I think I'm less familiar with most of you than you are with each other... I honestly don't know what most of you do in RL... and now's as good a time to ask as any :D ).[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I wander around the house and mostly do nothing useful, :D Then I go out and do nothing useful there too. Between that, I study History. I should have been studying Norwegian already too, but the bloody classes have been delayed.

And how about you? :D[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-02-2004, 07:40 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Happy birthday, Sa`ar! Any surprise parties?[/quote:post_uid0]

I brought in cake to the lab, and Mum's going to phone at 10 tonight. The excitement that is my life...*g*

PhD Comics (http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=64)

Thing aren't quite this depressing. (http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=181)[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM
02-02-2004, 09:27 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Sniper Joe: But obviously you can build them without too much trouble. A few more could --
Dr. Wily: THERE WILL BE EIGHT.
Sniper Joe: But why not --
(BOOM)
Dr. Wily: I think I'll build eight Robot Masters now.

Mega Man: ...Is that a pogo stick?
Quint: We have amazing technology in the future.

Dr. Wily: I've got it! Toad Man!
Ballade: I'm starting to see where your problem is.[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol:

[quote:post_uid0]Dr. Light: Shoot the minor robots. I know they've never dropped P-Chips before, but I bet they'll start now![/quote:post_uid0]
:lol: Ouch! That [i:post_uid0]is[/i:post_uid0] awfully [i:post_uid0]convenient[/i:post_uid0], isn't it? :smile:

Great work, Zeke.

And happy birthday, Sa'ar! :D[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli
02-03-2004, 02:23 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Â I'm aware that the audience for these is pretty limited, but hey -- my little brothers love my Mega Man fivers, and that's enough for me. Â [/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hm... so, you have at least two little brothers...then there`s your Mothy brother... and then there`s you... which makes - four brothers? Something like Malcolm in the Middle? :D[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
02-03-2004, 02:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Four, yeah. Â I'm 21, and the others are 18, 12, and 7. The younger two are the ones who get a kick out of my MM fivers.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
02-03-2004, 09:14 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Me? I'm 20, and just finishing my very first semester of mathematics and computer science at Hebrew University. (Is everyone else here a student too?) I'm in a special program in the army, where I do my studies [i:post_uid0]before[/i:post_uid0] I do my military service, the army pays for part of my tuition, and then when I do my service, it's in my field, and for more time... so I've got the next few years of my life fairly mapped out for me. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Michiel
02-03-2004, 11:08 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'm in university in about half a year. :) Informatics. Can't wait.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback
02-03-2004, 01:46 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmmm... what does "informatics" mean, exactly?[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
02-03-2004, 02:34 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Data processing, or something. Computer stuff.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek
02-03-2004, 03:28 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000:post_uid0](Is everyone else here a student too?)[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Marc and I aren't, though we both seem to work at universities. I don't think mudshark is a student either. But it certainly does seem like a large majority of people here are in school.[/color:post_uid0]

taya17
02-03-2004, 03:45 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'm a student, yes. Life Sciences, second year, National University of <strike>Sucktitude</strike>Singapore. I'm doing a bioinformatics course this sem. It's stupid. Kind of like How To Surf The Internet For Information 101, really. D'oh![/color:post_uid0]

Michiel
02-03-2004, 04:40 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yup. Computer-stuff just about sums it up. :)[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
02-03-2004, 04:48 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Informatics.[/quote:post_uid0]
Would that be [i:post_uid0]technische[/i:post_uid0] informatica, by any chance?

I'm going to do math.[/color:post_uid0]

Michiel
02-03-2004, 04:58 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Informatica in Leiden. I just thought the nl-en translation of informatica was informatics.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
02-03-2004, 05:12 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Since we're sharing...First-year Masters Student in Chemistry, University of Ottawa, which is the university Zeke doesn't go to. I'm currently researching using self-quenching fluorescent probes to detect the byproducts of oxidative stress in...uhh...food, or something. Not too clear on the eventual application of all this. Right now I'm concentrating on my courses and figuring out why my data aren't turning out.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina
02-03-2004, 05:19 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Leiden? Really? We might meet eachother next year. Just might. I'm not sure yet.

[quote:post_uid0]I'm currently researching using self-quenching fluorescent probes to detect the byproducts of oxidative stress[...][/quote:post_uid0]
Oh, sure.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke
03-14-2004, 04:25 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Zeke"](Also, I'm not done playing through BN yet. Â I'm up to WoodMan.)[/quote:post_uid0]
Update: I [i:post_uid0]have[/i:post_uid0] now beaten Battle Network, and it kicked butt. Â I got a few ideas for fiver scenes, too. Â Since I've now become a serious EXE-series fan, you may get your wish sooner than I thought, Michiel....

(But not before I catch up on [i:post_uid0]Enterprise[/i:post_uid0] and about a zillion other site things. Â "Sooner" is still a kind of soon.)[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm
03-14-2004, 04:28 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]"Sooner" is still a kind of soon.[/quote:post_uid0]

And also someone who settled in Oklahoma before they were allowed to.[/color:post_uid0]

Michiel
03-18-2004, 06:34 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Zeke"](Also, I'm not done playing through BN yet. I'm up to WoodMan.)[/quote:post_uid0]
Update: I [i:post_uid0]have[/i:post_uid0] now beaten Battle Network, and it kicked butt. I got a few ideas for fiver scenes, too. Since I've now become a serious EXE-series fan, you may get your wish sooner than I thought, Michiel....[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Great! Can't wait. :)[/color:post_uid0]