PDA

View Full Version : August 14

Zeke
08-15-2004, 04:14 AM
I've finished the details of the PHP system for 5MD, and the modularity I was talking about yesterday has proven just as handy as I thought -- I've now got 5ME (../enterprise) and 5MST (../startrek) running on the same system. (Have a look at their index pages; the subsites' unique colour codes are now prominent somewhere other than here on the News page.)

I'm also experimenting with slight modifications to the fiver pages. Here's what Five-Minute "The Adversary (../ds9/fiver.php?ep=theadversary)" looks like now, and here are two (../ds9/fiver2.php?ep=theadversary) alternatives (../ds9/fiver3.php?ep=theadversary). How do you guys like them?

MaverickZer0
08-15-2004, 04:28 AM
Call me a nostalgia nut, but I like the classic 5MV look.

The third one's cool, too though.

NAHTMMM
08-15-2004, 04:39 AM
I gotta go with the classic here too. ;)

mudshark
08-15-2004, 05:57 AM
Kinda like the "two" alternative, myself.

Wade, The Sane Commodore
08-15-2004, 05:58 AM
I dunno, I've never been a real fan of change. KISS.

Standback
08-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Classic's definitely good. The second alternative is good, too. I don't like the first alternative.

Alexia
08-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Ditto, I like the classic and second alternative. Little too much colour going on in the 1st! It is the whole change thing again...

Draknek
08-15-2004, 11:19 AM
I think I prefer #2.

evay
08-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Classic. If you must change, the second alternative is preferable to the first.

Derek
08-15-2004, 12:51 PM
I don't think KISS really applies too much in this case. It's purely an aesthetic question. It doesn't introduce extra complexity, just different colors.

My ranking is "alternatives", classic, "two".

Alexia
08-15-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't think KISS really applies too much in this case.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what exactly does KISS refer to? Other than the obvious, and being a UK radio station... :wink:

Celeste
08-15-2004, 03:23 PM
I dunno Zeke, I kinda like the second option. Sometimes I read a fiver off the forums and I don't know the episode name, so I don't know which series it's from. which means it takes me a few paragraphs before I figure out what i'm reading. Having color coded thingys on the individual fiver pages may help.

PointyHairedJedi
08-15-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm not too fussed really, though I prefer the look we have now.

Xeroc
08-15-2004, 06:34 PM
I say either the second "alternatives" or the way we have it now.

Derek
08-15-2004, 07:01 PM
At the risk of sounding dumb, what exactly does KISS refer to?
KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Alexia
08-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks!

That seems like a terribly complicated was of saying keep it simple :wink:

antodav
08-15-2004, 08:28 PM
I like the classic look too. The orange is horrible.

What's also horrible is this white-on-black instead of black-on-white color scheme. I can't even see the scroll bar on the bottom anymore....

Wait..it's gone now, and I'm back to something that's actually legible. All I had to do was log in. Huh. Weird.

Zeke
08-15-2004, 08:55 PM
I like the classic look too. The orange is horrible.

In case anyone else didn't pick up on this, the orange is 5MD's subsite colour. It would be teal in 5MST, red in 5MV, amber in 5ME, and so forth.

What's also horrible is this white-on-black instead of black-on-white color scheme. I can't even see the scroll bar on the bottom anymore....

Wait..it's gone now, and I'm back to something that's actually legible. All I had to do was log in. Huh. Weird.

Don't be shy, tell us what you really think of the 5MV skin....

evay
08-16-2004, 01:42 AM

And I can't see what I'm typing in a dialog box (like, oh, the login?). Is that fixable? Seems like an odd kinda bug.

<---- BTW, I positively LOVE the title bestowed upon me. :mrgreen: Mille cente grazie!

Kira
08-16-2004, 02:58 AM
I'm not a fan of change either, but the second alternative's not bad. I could get used to it.

Hotaru
08-16-2004, 05:58 AM
Of the alternatives, I would have to go with #2. However, you scroll down a little and it's gone! So it doesn't really make that big of a difference, does it?

admiral sab
08-16-2004, 12:31 PM
hey, while we're talking about things we don't like could you do something about my second in command? He's like dead and he's wandering around the station, especially the Danish Bay, haunting me. ;)

j/k I'm easy going so whatever everyone else wants I'll be ok. Well if they want Pink Polk a Dots, there has to be a line drawn, but other than that I'm cool.

USS Enterprise
08-16-2004, 01:30 PM
I know I didn't have to register to reply here, but I've been lurking around long enough. My two cents:

Alternative #2

PointyHairedJedi
08-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, registering is good. Weclome! :)

Xeroc
08-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Yes, Welcome USS Enterprise!

Zeke
08-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the forums, USS. Can I call you USS? If not, how about Enty? Entei? Entmoot?

And don't you think that sig is a bit long, Xeroc? (And it's "interspatially.")

SCMoll
08-16-2004, 07:07 PM
I think I prefer the classic layout.

catalina_marina
08-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Welcome USS Enterprise.

As for the layout, a little colour is good. So another vote for the second alternative.

Xeroc
08-16-2004, 07:34 PM
And don't you think that sig is a bit long, Xeroc? (And it's "interspatially.")
Yes, I know, I made it a little shorter.

Also, welcome SCMoll!

And, shouldn't this topic be a poll?

USS Enterprise
08-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the forums, USS. Can I call you USS?

Sure! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Now I think I'll go cruise the rest of the forum...

Nic Corelli
08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
I somehow prefer the #1 alternative. A lot of colour is nice.

Zeke
08-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Also, welcome SCMoll!

And, shouldn't this topic be a poll?

SCMoll's been here way longer than you, my friend. Go check out a certain series in Sci-Fivers (../scifivers).

And yes, it should have been a poll. Good point.

Derek
08-16-2004, 08:52 PM
I somehow prefer the #1 alternative. A lot of colour is nice.
A lot of color is nice, but the problem I have with number 1 is that it looks out of place. The main colors of the page are black, white, gray, and red. To suddenly add a thick orange border to the header of this color set, just seems out of place. Now, if the footer similarly had an orange border, then maybe it wouldn't be as bad. Or if the entire page had an orange border (like the forums have a red border), that might not be as bad either. But the thick orange border in just the header is somewhat aesthetically jarring (to me, at least).

On the other hand, I like the orange squares because it's presented more like a flag or other marker. It gives the fiver a sense of being claimed by its section; and in return the fivers start to give the section its identity. It's like knowing it's nationality. Maybe I've been watching the Olympics too much.

Kira
08-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Or if the entire page had an orange border (like the forums have a red border), that might not be as bad either.
::: represses gagging reflex :::

Zeke
08-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Don't worry, I don't know an easy way to do that in HTML. Though I am learning CSS....

By the way, speaking of layouts you hate, you're going to love the PHP version of This Just In. :twisted:

catalina_marina
08-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Uh-oh. :roll:

Didn't This Just In get a new lay-out just recently?

Zeke
08-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes. And it's not getting a new one now.

OR IS IT?

Celeste
08-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Sounds like me with my member title. Hurumph.

Scooter
08-17-2004, 04:14 AM
I prefer the last option, the stripe with the orange ears.

Scooter
08-17-2004, 04:18 AM
SCMoll's been here way longer than you, my friend. Go check out a certain series in Sci-Fivers (../scifivers).

A certain series. :)

I feel like I belong to a secret society. O.K., guys, next meeting's in the ossiary, don't forget your robes. No potato salad this time, no one ever eats it. We'll try to wrap by 11 because Ralph has to catch a late train to the Island.

Xeroc
08-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Oh, nuts. The 10 posts fooled me - should have looked at the join date!

Is TJI really getting a new look - or are you just fooling with us again?

SCMoll
08-17-2004, 07:15 PM
^ Yes, ten posts over two years. I have always been here. But I can't claim I'm exactly active. Beyond a certain series, my other claim to fame is inventing the word "exosite," for which I was immortalized in an issue of "This Just In" (http://www.fiveminute.net/thisjustin/22.html).

Scooter-- I always eat the potato salad! Mind you, I'm the one who brings it, so maybe there's a connection. And I don't think wrapping by 11 is possible; I can't even get there 'til 10.

Steve (apparently not a magician)

PointyHairedJedi
08-17-2004, 07:30 PM
*Takes a photo*

Wow! It's the rare and elusive SCMoll!

And potato salad? Nah. Pasta salad is what you want. Everyone loves pasta salad!

MaverickZer0
08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Pasta salad? Where?
My pasta salad!

Okay, sorry. But I'd take pasta over potato any day.

~Absent for week after post due to vacation time. In Winnipeg.~

SCMoll
08-17-2004, 08:49 PM
*Takes a photo*

Wow! It's the rare and elusive SCMoll!Well, only in this habitat. You've just got to know where to look.

Zeke
08-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Is TJI really getting a new look - or are you just fooling with us again?

Can't it be both? Can't I have my pie and eat it too? Can't I?

But I can't claim I'm exactly active.

You just haven't found the right girl yet.

What?

PointyHairedJedi
08-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Well, only in this habitat. You've just got to know where to look.
I did actually sign up for the OG forums, and poked around for a while, but it didn't really hold my interest that much. Pretty blashpemous, I know. :D

Derek
08-18-2004, 12:37 AM
Don't worry, I don't know an easy way to do that in HTML. Though I am learning CSS....
For a simple border around the page, add this attribute to the body element:
style="border: thick solid orange" (replacing orange with actual 5MD color)

or
style="border: 1ex solid orange; margin: 0;"

(Honestly, I don't think it looks so bad, but Kira would seem to disagree)

SCMoll
08-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Well, only in this habitat. You've just got to know where to look.
I did actually sign up for the OG forums, and poked around for a while, but it didn't really hold my interest that much. Pretty blashpemous, I know. :DI lurk a whole lot more than I post there. If I do post, it's in the Big Finish section. Really nice fora there; probably one of the nicest I've ever been to. More often than not, I'm on TrekBBS and Psi Phi, though.

Nan
08-18-2004, 01:50 AM

It's not a border. It's the default background page colour. ;)

Although..... a small (say 3px at most) border around the outside of the fiver cell in the section colour might work...

Something like:

td.fiver {
border: 3px solid #d2691e;
}

which would require making a TD class called fiver. Another option:

<td style="border:3px solid #d2691e;">
Sisko: Why are you holding a pie?
Kira: No reas--think fast!</td>

I prefer linked stylesheets rather than inline style information m'self.

Zeke
08-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Okay, I've created three new alternatives to look at, and this time I'll actually number them properly:

Alternative #3 (../ds9/fiver4.php?ep=theadversary)
Alternative #4 (../ds9/fiver5.php?ep=theadversary)
Alternative #5 (../ds9/fiver6.php?ep=theadversary)

Personally, I'm leaning towards #2. But #5 is intriguing.

USS Enterprise
08-18-2004, 03:12 AM
Okay, I've created three new alternatives to look at, and this time I'll actually number them properly:

Personally, I'm leaning towards #2. But #5 is intriguing.

Agree. Either #5 or #2.

Zeke
08-18-2004, 03:36 AM
(August 17 update -- I figured we may as well just continue this thread)

Check it out! Five-Minute Andromeda (../andromeda) and Five-Minute Farscape (../farscape) are now "up to code" -- as are two other subsites that I can't show you yet. Because I don't know where they are. Okay, I do know where they are, but they're a secret. You'll see them in the fourth anniversary event, Theme-To-Be-Announced Week. (No, that itself is not the theme, though we considered it....)

After listening to the comments on those alternative fiver layouts I proposed a few days ago, I've created a few more. Here are the five current alternatives:
<ul>
Alternative #1 (../ds9/fiver2.php?ep=theadversary)
Alternative #2 (../ds9/fiver3.php?ep=theadversary)
[/list]
Personally, I like #2 ("epaulet style") the best. But I'd like to hear your thoughts. Let me know which of these you like best -- and if you have any ideas of your own, post them and I'll try them out.

NAHTMMM
08-18-2004, 04:01 AM
#1: Not bad. The off-centering at the top might get tiresome after a while though.

#2: Um, no. Just doesn't look quite right. ;)

#3: Well, that's an interesting way of doing it... ;)

#4: This is how I thought you meant you would "border" it. I like it best. :)

#5: Top looks very nice. Not sure about the bottom though. My second choice of the five.

antodav
08-18-2004, 04:21 AM
Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I didn't notice any significant difference between 3, 4, and 5.

Oh, and sorry about the "horrible" remark earlier. I don't go to the 5MD subsite much, I must admit...DS9 isn't my favorite series. Orange on black just clashes painfully in my eyes and doesn't seem appropriate at any time other than halloween.

BTW, could you possibly make it, Zeke, so that either the forums open up in a new window when you link to them, or that there's some kind of link on the main forum page to get back to the front page of 5MV?

Nan
08-18-2004, 04:27 AM
I like #4 best. :)

Xeroc
08-18-2004, 04:33 AM
I like #2, then #4, then #5, in that order, but all three of those are good.

BTW, could you possibly make it, Zeke, so that either the forums open up in a new window when you link to them, or that there's some kind of link on the main forum page to get back to the front page of 5MV?
It's right here antodav:

mudshark
08-18-2004, 06:00 AM
<ul>
Alternative #1 (../ds9/fiver2.php?ep=theadversary)
Alternative #2 (../ds9/fiver3.php?ep=theadversary)
[/list]
I also am seeing no difference at all between 3, 4 and 5 -- they all appear to be the unadorned, "classic" fiver layout. What am I not seeing, here?

Alexia
08-18-2004, 06:59 AM
I also am seeing no difference at all between 3, 4 and 5 -- they all appear to be the unadorned, "classic" fiver layout. What am I not seeing, here?

No difference? I don't know, these people who just don't understand the subtle difference a well placed boarder can make :wink: Look harder!

I actually like all of them :mrgreen:, but I'm leaning towards #5 being my favourite, very closely followed by #4. Then #2.

But they all look pretty jazzy :)

evay
08-18-2004, 09:19 AM
I thought it was me -- I can't see any difference in 3, 4, or 5 either. Are These "The Emperor's New Layouts"?

Hotaru
08-18-2004, 09:34 AM
You can't see the difference? Perhaps it's your browser settings.

#3 has a border that runs along the edge of the window, it's constantly visible.

#4 has a border that runs along the big box with the fiver in it. It runs around the grey and white boxes, but leaves the title picture alone.

#5 has a border that runs around the two grey boxes at the top and bottom of the fiver, but leaves the white box and the title alone.

Those are the differences.

I like #2 and #5 the best.

Draknek
08-18-2004, 10:00 AM
I also can't see anything.

This is using Firefox 0.9.

catalina_marina
08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
#3 has a border that runs along the edge of the window, it's constantly visible.

#4 has a border that runs along the big box with the fiver in it. It runs around the grey and white boxes, but leaves the title picture alone.

#5 has a border that runs around the two grey boxes at the top and bottom of the fiver, but leaves the white box and the title alone.

Those are the differences.
I'll just take your word for it then. The only difference I see is that the border between the fiver and the title, as well as the one right after "the end" is a big bigger on #4. I see no orange whatsoever. :roll:

Derek
08-18-2004, 11:40 AM
I can't tell a difference between the last three either.

Quick inspection shows that Mozilla-based browsers don't like CC6600 without the # in front, and so they just crap out. If I were proactive I'd go to Mozilla's bug site and file a bug on this since it's pretty obvious this is a color. Oh well.

So Zeke, in order for us Mozilla/Firefox/whatever users to see the differences, would you please change CC6600 to #CC6600? Thanks.

Interestingly also, #3 looks different in IE, Opera, and Mozilla.

In IE, a border is put outside the scrollbars, so it's like you're viewing the page through an orange portal. In Opera, it puts the border around the very edge of the page, like the border around these forums. In Mozilla, it puts a line close to the edge of the page, but not the very edge. To make it the very edge in mozilla, you need to add the margin:0 thing I mentioned above.

Ah, browser fun.

Ariela
08-18-2004, 01:15 PM
I like number 2 still the best. Though, maybe you should start thinking about a different color. I hate orange. :P

evay
08-18-2004, 02:28 PM
OH, it's a Microsquish-vs.-Everyone-Else issue. Of course. I like #4, then. Subtle.

catalina_marina
08-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Okay, I tried IE, and I think #5 and #6 look okay. #4 looks ridiculous. In IE anyway. :roll:

mudshark
08-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Okay, that explains it; I'm using Mozilla 1.7, and Netscape 6.2 is also Mozilla-based, iinm. Not even going to try IE, as it can't seem to finish loading before it crashes, anymore. Sounds as if it still needs a tweak, here and there.

No difference? I don't know, these people who just don't understand the subtle difference a well placed boarder can make :wink: Look harder! A well-placed boarder, or is it an idle roomer? :P

Zeke
08-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Okay, I've added that stupid number sign. Alternatives 3 to 5 should be visible without problems now to those of you using other browsers besides Opera and IE. (See, Opera isn't IE, and it handled it fine....)

Alexia
08-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Okay, I tried IE, and I think #5 and #6 look okay.

#6? :shock:

A well-placed boarder, or is it an idle roomer?
OK, ok! So maybe it was the browsers :wink:

SCMoll
08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
I like #4 or #5, not sure which. There's something about that little border...

catalina_marina
08-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Okay, I tried IE, and I think #5 and #6 look okay.

#6? :shock:
Er... #4 and #5. Whichever. The last two. Although, now that's it's nice in Firefox and all... I don't like #4 anymore. Instead, I do like #3. But hey, #3 is way different now. :roll:

EDIT: Ah-HA! So that's why I thought it was #6. There's a 6 in the url. :roll (And yes, that's the only thing that's different in the three urls.)

AKAArzosah
08-19-2004, 02:06 AM
I like #3 best.

ijdgaf
08-19-2004, 03:10 AM
my vote is for 4. Before four fo sure.

Wow, was that ever funnier in my head.

Derek
08-19-2004, 04:14 PM
What about a fiver that's part of an event? Obviously #2 would be fixed, but I'm not sure if I like this #5 as much.

Shattered Mirror #1 (http://www.fiveminute.net/ds9/fiver2.php?ep=shatteredmirror)
Shattered Mirror #2 (http://www.fiveminute.net/ds9/fiver3.php?ep=shatteredmirror)
Shattered Mirror #3 (http://www.fiveminute.net/ds9/fiver4.php?ep=shatteredmirror)
Shattered Mirror #4 (http://www.fiveminute.net/ds9/fiver5.php?ep=shatteredmirror)
Shattered Mirror #5 (http://www.fiveminute.net/ds9/fiver6.php?ep=shatteredmirror)

Just something I thought about.

PointyHairedJedi
08-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Four I like. It's less distracting than the others.

evay
08-19-2004, 08:32 PM
3, then 4 for this one.

catalina_marina
08-19-2004, 09:34 PM
I like #2 in this one, if the purple bit can get back to the full width of the page.

FatMatDuhRat
08-20-2004, 06:48 PM
My vote is for #4, That version looks
the best compared to all the rest.

Zeke
08-20-2004, 07:29 PM
It's Mat! Woo! Welcome back!

Alexia
08-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey wb Mat. Scary avatar :shock:

Xeroc
08-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Welcome Back Mat!

PointyHairedJedi
08-20-2004, 10:42 PM
My vote is for #4, That version looks
the best compared to all the rest.
*Falls over from the shock*

You know, I still think of you as FaMatDuhRat, even after all this time. Strange, no?

catalina_marina
08-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi Mat, welcome back. :)

I watched four seasons of Farscape while you were gone, and now actually recognize your avatar. :wink:

Zeke
08-21-2004, 02:16 AM
You know, I still think of you as FaMatDuhRat, even after all this time. Strange, no?

Not at all. That's still who he is on the site -- and now it's who he is in the forums again. :D (He wrote and said he wanted his name changed back.)

Celeste
08-21-2004, 03:18 AM
Wow.. now we just need to get Saxamaphone back on the forums.

PointyHairedJedi
08-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Not at all. That's still who he is on the site -- and now it's who he is in the forums again. :D (He wrote and said he wanted his name changed back.)
Cool. Now, all we need is that little pixelated Starfleet guy he had as an avatar, and it'll be jsut like old times! :D

Alexia
08-21-2004, 12:05 PM

Yay! I know the name from VVSP as well. What was with the numbers anyway? :wink:

Nic Corelli
08-22-2004, 04:45 AM
I like #4 and #5 the most.

#2 is horrifying! Really. It`s ghastly! PLEASE don`t use it!

Also, I took the time to reread "The Adversary". Oh dear...

Odo: Sorry to interrupt, but the Changeling told me something just before he died.
Sisko: What's that?
Odo: GAK!

Ahem...

GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Okay. Finished. :mrgreen:

Xeroc
08-22-2004, 04:49 AM
#2 is horrifying! Really. It`s ghastly! PLEASE don`t use it!
Nic...
Obviously #2 would be fixed

I think a fixed #2, #4 or #5 all seem good.

FatMatDuhRat
08-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Wow.. now we just need to get Saxamaphone back on the forums.

I haven't seen Mr. Sax online in more than a year,
but I haven't been online myself for almost that
same amount of time. It's good to be back though!
*waves at everyone*

It took me a while to get reconnected to this Forum.
Zeke said something might have changed with my
name and profile during a big move that happened
recently. It seems to be working OK for now though.

Alexia: I know the name from VVSP as well. What was
with the numbers anyway?

I'm flattered that you remember me from VVSP! I
used to spend a lot of time over on that message
board and Zeke & I were also able to write a story
together, with some help from Kira too of course.
(The numbers 4-2-6 represent my birthday.)

catalina_marina: I watched four seasons of Farscape
while you were gone, and now actually recognize your avatar.

EVERYONE should watch all 4 season of Farscape!
It's a mandatory requirement to be a sci-fi fan!
MOO-HOO-HA-HA!

Keep you eyes open for FS:Peacekeeper Wars (http://www.farscapeworld.com/news/archive.php?cat=13)
SUN/OCT 17 @ 9:00PM EST

catalina_marina
09-01-2004, 07:00 PM
EVERYONE should watch all 4 season of Farscape!
It's a mandatory requirement to be a sci-fi fan!
MOO-HOO-HA-HA!
Don't tell me, tell them. But then again, they probably already know as well. :wink:

PointyHairedJedi
09-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I wonder if the BBC will ever repeat it? That would be nice.

catalina_marina
09-03-2004, 09:25 PM
It's downloadable. :wink:

PointyHairedJedi
09-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Well, mostly BitTorrent no longer works on my compter without frelling it up completely, and eMule takes aaaagggesss to download anything, even more so something the size of an episode.

Celeste
09-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Tried WinMX? I personaly hate it, but that's what all my other friends use.

PointyHairedJedi
09-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Eh, I'll have a look. I actually like eMule a lot, you just have to be very patient.

Alexia
09-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Eh, I'll have a look. I actually like eMule a lot, you just have to be very patient.

Me too, but I have issues with patience :wink:

I used to use KaZaA, but I got really annoyed with downloading, say, an innocent little MP3, and getting porn amalgamated with about 147 viruses.

Also, the MP3s would start ok, but then 10 seconds in would go "Euym churnk crakkle, blub blub eheheheherrrrrrr". Most annoying :wink:

eMule is far more reliable. Just paaaaaaaainfully slow :mrgreen: