PDA

View Full Version : August 16

Zeke
08-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Part 2 of the eTrektion saga is here: TJI #42, "Invited candidates for Trek position announced (../thisjustin/42.html)." By the way, should I keep calling it the eTrektion saga, or is that too crude and better kept a one-off joke?

Xeroc
08-17-2004, 04:42 AM
Excellent Job Zeke!

My favorite parts:

"The remaining invitations went to people who simply stand out in their fields. Peter Jackson. Kevin Smith. Hillary Clinton. Emeril. Stephen Hawking. Weston Smythe. Colin Powell. José Niger. Yamamura Sadako. Satan. Farmer McDonald. See, he's always out standing in his field... get it? Heh heh. Heh heh heh. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH-- yes.

If anyone ignores that, there will be hell to pay. And they're rich, so they can pay it. Thank you."

We at This Just In, having illegally (shhh) obtained ...

Episode III: Revenge of the Actually Pretty Decent Title

"They get the first crack at the voters. Of course, we still haven't decided who the voters are yet, but when we do, there will be hell to pay."

Crude Joke? It seems okay to me.

mudshark
08-17-2004, 06:22 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (All of it.)

Just one thing:
"The remaining invitations went to people who simply stand out in their fields. Peter Jackson. Kevin Smith. Hillary Clinton. Emeril. Stephen Hawking. Weston Smythe. Colin Powell. José Niger. Yamamura Sadako. Satan. Farmer McDonald ...
No Martha Stewart? :twisted:

Alexia
08-17-2004, 07:26 AM
I would do quotes but it is all funny so I wont bother :mrgreen: Crude? You haven't seen crude... :wink: I vote it stays :D

PointyHairedJedi
08-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Heh.

Heheheh.

Heheheheheheh.

I am slightly disappointed by the lack of mention of Aaron Sorkin. Because knowing what a huge fan of TWW you are Zeke, I'm sure you could have had fun with that one. ;)

Derek
08-17-2004, 11:39 AM
We chose them based purely on their talents. Wait, talents aren't American currency, are they? Their money, anyway.
Heh.

Draknek
08-17-2004, 12:37 PM
"There are only two female characters on Enterprise, and once I killed them both, there wouldn't be any. That would get the feminists angry, especially me."
"Larry and I were hoping to run," said filmmaker Andy Wachowski, "but the Wayans got our invite somehow, and they won't give it to us. It's too bad. We had this great idea for an episode where Archer fights an army of Will Smiths."
Heheh.

Kira
08-17-2004, 03:16 PM
I am slightly disappointed by the lack of mention of Aaron Sorkin. Because knowing what a huge fan of TWW you are Zeke, I'm sure you could have had fun with that one. ;)
Yeah, but then I would've had to kill him, so it's probably for the best.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer producer Joss Whedon, who was easy to find because we were already in the Marvel Comics building
Is that a reference to JW possibly doing X3, or some other joke that's gone over my head?

PointyHairedJedi
08-17-2004, 06:54 PM
He is working on an actual comic at the moment, though I forget which one. And this is aside from the Firefly comic that I've heard rumours of.

SCMoll
08-17-2004, 07:19 PM
By the way, should I keep calling it the eTrektion saga, or is that too crude and better kept a one-off joke?Has anyone else Googled eTrektion (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=etrektion)? It's... erm, interesting.

The TJI main page seems to believe it's 2003 still.

PointyHairedJedi
08-17-2004, 07:33 PM
I think that's going to be changed once Zeke gets TJI fully PHP'd, or so I understand.

Zeke
08-17-2004, 08:13 PM

It's tempting... but in all honesty, Jedi, I haven't watched enough TWW to even justify my bias against it, let alone make any good jokes about Sorkin.

Is that a reference to JW possibly doing X3, or some other joke that's gone over my head?

Whedon is currently writing a new X-Men comic called Astonishing X-Men; JMS has been writing Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel's cornerstone title, for a couple of years now. They're both pretty good if the issues I've read are any indication. An even bigger name in Marvel's pantheon is Kevin Smith -- he brilliantly relaunched Daredevil a few years ago and has a Spider-Man miniseries in progress. (He's also done a Green Arrow arc for DC.)

The TJI main page seems to believe it's 2003 still.

I've been expecting that bug report for a while, but I'm surprised no one mentioned how unbalanced the columns of this article were. (It's probably just because antodav didn't get here in time.) I uploaded in a rush last night and forgot to check the position of the column break. It's better now.

I think that's going to be changed once Zeke gets TJI fully PHP'd, or so I understand.

Actually, I was just embarrassed that I only had two full articles in 2004. Now that I have more, I'll sequester the 2003s to their own page.

NAHTMMM
08-17-2004, 10:11 PM
George Lucas was an obvious choice given his experience with prequels.
Bwahaha! :twisted:

Trek stole my concept whether they did or not
:mrgreen:

And the Whedon paragraph was very funny too :D

Zeke
08-18-2004, 03:42 AM
The main TJI page is up to date now. By the way, does anyone remember who Weston Smythe is?

Kira
08-18-2004, 04:03 AM
Nope, but www.fiveminute.net+%22Weston+Smythe%22&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8]Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=site:[url) does[/url].

mudshark
08-18-2004, 06:12 AM
I had to look him up, too. Google is a wonderful thing. :D

Anonymous
08-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Bit late but I think its awsome! Especialy as it mentions Matt & Trey! Shpadoinkle!

Opium
08-19-2004, 02:23 AM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer producer Joss Whedon, who was easy to find because we were already in the Marvel Comics building, appeared intrigued but decided he would have to decline. "There are only two female characters on Enterprise, and once I killed them both, there wouldn't be any. That would get the feminists angry, especially me."

Hehe, so true! Joss respects feminism just as much as *Joe Millionaire respects the rest of the world.

:wink:

*: originally said George Bush.

Zeke
08-19-2004, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure whether you know my politics, Opie, but if you do, you know what a lefthanded compliment that is. ;)

Nobody joined what?

Kira
08-19-2004, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure whether you know my politics, Opie, but if you do, you know what a lefthanded compliment that is. ;)
Compliment? Sounds to me like he just zinged Bush. And how.

Xeroc
08-19-2004, 04:16 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either! I thought a lefthanded compliment was an indirect compliment.

Nan
08-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Can we please keep politics off the board? It makes things hostile.

Additionally, it's an election year. I think many people would appreciate a place NOT to find rhetoric. :?

/rant

Hotaru
08-19-2004, 09:44 AM
I agree with Nan.
*pokes Nan*
Yup, this Nan right here.
*pokes Nan*
Good thinking Nan.
*pokes Nan*
This is kinda fun.
*pokes Nan*
Is "Kinda" a word?
*pokes Nan*
What are your thoughts, Nan?
*pokes Nan*
Ah, why do you look so upset?
*pokes Nan*
Nan?
*pokes Nan*
Okay, Nan, put that down.
*pokes Nan*
You don't want to do that, Nan.
*pokes Nan*
Nan!?

Opium
08-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Sorry. Had just watched This Hour Has 22 Minutes, and was on the Rick Mercer bandwagon...have edited it. :(

And nobody joined my Drive for Emoticons! Oh well, I suppose I will just have to make due with the ones here, which are not actually that bad. :)

:!: And Kira, I am a GIRL! *grr* :!:

catalina_marina
08-19-2004, 10:52 AM
And nobody joined my Drive for Emoticons! Oh well, I suppose I will just have to make due with the ones here, which are not actually that bad. :)
Oh that's what it was about. :roll:

Zeke
08-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Whoa! Opium, no one was asking you to edit that post. Nan has a point about keeping politics off the board, but what's been posted has been posted, and now all the replies make no sense.

And the old emoticons are coming back... didn't I say that at some point? No drives needed.

Which makes the post a lefthanded compliment to me. (Hmmm...Xeroc, apparently a lefthanded compliment is one which is "dubious or of doubtful sincerity," so I guess we're both wrong. I thought it just meant one that had some sort of catch to it.)

NAHTMMM
08-19-2004, 01:49 PM
^Might that be a "backhanded" compliment? :?

PointyHairedJedi
08-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Argh - can we jsut accept that there was an unintentional compliment and get on with it? :roll:

:wink:

Nan
08-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Public service announcement:

Poking Nan will result in her flipping out and attacking you with a nearby pointy implement and plunging it into your soft, unprotected flesh. Over and over again.

Sa'ar knows this well.

:twisted:

Sa'ar Chasm
08-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Carrots are pointy. They hurt. So do arrows (there's a goblin that knows this very well).

Opium
08-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Now it makes sense if you look veeeeeeeeeeery closely!

Well then, I guess I should end my Emoticons campaign, which consisted all of a colourful sig and a post or two. :D

Wowbagger
08-21-2004, 12:37 AM
*pokes Nan*

While I'm at it, I may as well use... TWO EXCLAMATION POINTS!! OR EVEN THREE!!!

Now that I've totally invalidated my vote and possibly my lease on life, I say "eTrektion" is just kind of irritating.

Shouldn't there first be a recall vote on B+B? Possibly led by the elusive Jeice O. Garricker?

Finally, what exactly where those Greek letters, Zeke? What? I should come closer? No! Put down the Hammer of Smiting! Put it DOWN! Ahhhh-GAK! (!!)

Xeroc
08-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Finally, what exactly where those Greek letters, Zeke?
Look at the bottom of the TJI page.

And you're asking for a serious beating, wowbagger.

Nan
08-21-2004, 06:00 AM
Please don't poke me, Wowbagger. It's annoying and bothers me.

PointyHairedJedi
08-21-2004, 12:01 PM
^ Poking that one is about as good an idea as poking Kira, wowbagger.

Poking 17 on the other hand is just plain fun!

Well, until she gets the sharp pointy things out that is...

Zeke
08-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Now that I've totally invalidated my vote and possibly my lease on life, I say "eTrektion" is just kind of irritating.

Thank you! I knew there had to be someone out there who thought so. You've restored my faith in human decency.

What? No, I'm still going to call it that.

Shouldn't there first be a recall vote on B+B? Possibly led by the elusive Jeice O. Garricker?

What would the difference be between this and a recall vote? I don't see one -- that's why I had Arnie say he'd "already done one of these."

Nic Corelli
08-22-2004, 05:04 AM
Heehee. TJI has gone story arc-ish. Extremely funny! :mrgreen:

Also, old smilies are coming back? Does this mean new smilies will go away?

NNNNNNNNnnnnoooooooooooo!

The Twisted Smiley must not go away! The old smiley set had NO quality evil smiley! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I asked this before - is it not possible to just import more smilies from somewhere? :D

danieldoof
08-22-2004, 08:48 AM
you can also create some for yourself, put them on a server and display them via img

http://danieldoof.de.tk/gifs/64kpowaa.gif
http://www.scifichat.net/vbforums/images/smilies/Thor/borg_assimilation_faces.gif

catalina_marina
08-22-2004, 09:19 PM
But that wouldn't be nearly as simple to put in as just typing twisted between two colons, though. :roll:

danieldoof
08-22-2004, 10:03 PM
that is true

but you can kindly ask zeke to import some more smilies you like

for example we all can send him some of our favorites via privat message and he can decide :twisted:

Xeroc
08-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Zeke, I know you're busy, but there are just a couple of broken links on the latest TJI's:

40 needs a link to 41 at the bottom and 41 needs a link to 42 at the bottom.

And more smiles is a good idea!

Nic Corelli
08-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Yep! More smilies! :D

mudshark
09-04-2005, 11:29 PM
And today's guest Spammer is ... :roll:

Asky
09-05-2005, 01:28 AM
lol, the bot didn't even put a real user name

richardson
09-05-2005, 02:09 AM
AHHH!!!! Necromancer ad-bot! END OF THE WORLD! *Throws haggis pies.*

Zeke
09-05-2005, 08:55 AM
How the...? First spambots manage to keep registering even with the new security, and now they're posting as guests? This is nuts! Gotta hurry up with that forum upgrade....

NeoMatrix
09-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Those spambots are sneaky little devils

PointyHairedJedi
09-08-2005, 11:20 PM
This thread is like spambot flypaper, obviously.

mudshark
09-09-2005, 03:38 AM
^ Think it may be the "poking" dialogue upthread which is attracting them.

Zeke
09-10-2005, 08:28 AM
I've deleted the spambot posts, and in case PHJ and mudshark are right, I'm closing the thread. PM me if you want it reopened for some reason.