PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Programs

Zeke
09-10-2004, 02:42 AM
The time has finally come... I can no longer use Corel Presentations 7 to do my graphics work. You can't install it on a new computer and my old computer is back in Ottawa. Furthermore, later versions of Presentations do strange things when you try to save images. So I reluctantly must start considering other graphics programs.

Many of you guys have been making graphics, or know how. Help a brotha out -- what are the programs you swear by, and what are their pros and cons?

Xeroc
09-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Congratulations on your 1001th post!

Also, I highly reccomend Adobe Photoshop (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html) - it costs around $650, but it is Insanely Cool!

(Not to mention it's also won all sorts of awards and is highly reccomended by many others)

Nan
09-10-2004, 03:23 AM
PS does not always cost that much.

See if you can find a friend with a spare CD. It's most definately worth it.

A free program is The Gimp, which can be found via google. More difficult to operate and with different options than PS.

I have many programs and I like Photoshop the most.

Derek
09-10-2004, 03:34 AM
The GIMP does not have a wonderful interface in my opinion. Especially on Windows. It's still the graphics program I use since it's free.

PointyHairedJedi
09-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I use Photoshop too, though just barely. I made catalina's avatar, but that's about the limit of my skills.

Paint Shop Pro is also a good program to use - it's generally cheaper than Photoshop, but it doesn't have as many bells and whistles. I think a trial version is available from the Jasc website, so I'd recommend at least giving that a try.

Alexia
09-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Photoshop.

I say this having been converted not long ago. Do it. You will never go back.

As for the cost *whistle innocently* Nab a copy from someone... :wink:

NAHTMMM
09-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Yes, Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro are both pretty good.

They don't do the same stuff. Photoshop is, well, intended for working with photos (although of course there's nothing to stop you from working with drawings and such) and scanned stuff. Not going to say much about that because there are others here (and elsewhere) you can ask for information ;).

Paint Shop Pro has its advantages--and, in fact, it might be what you're after if you want to do abstract graphics work. For starters, it actually has--get this--an oval tool! I don't know about recent versions, but the Photoshop 5.5 program I work with has nothing of the sort (and even MS Paint has one fer pity's sake!). It can also import Photoshop plug-in filters and has a selection of built-in fill patterns to choose from if you like ( :D I only found out about that last recently ). As with Photoshop, you can use layers.

However, PSP does not offer as much in the way of options for saving images as does Photoshop. But if you're after PNG images, you may not care about whether you can fine-tune the size of JPEGs or whether you can open TIFs.

I'm not too sure about PSP's abilities with anti-aliasing text. Either it or Photoshop doesn't impress me in that area, not sure which.

(Edit) And of course there's always that wonderful standby, Powerpoint. ;)

Draknek
09-10-2004, 07:35 PM
I use and like the GIMP.

Having said that, though, I a) have no experience with anything else, and b) don't exactly do much with it.

Xeroc
09-10-2004, 10:01 PM
A few more things.

I also have Paint Shop Pro and it is definitely a good program, and I use it quite a bit. It, however has nothing compared to the capabilities of Photoshop (version 6 or better) in terms of layers, effects, and the sort of image manipulation powers, it has some, just not half as powerful.

Also, NAHTMMM, Photoshop 6 has an oval tool.

And, NAHTMMM, I don't know what version of Paint Shop Pro you're using, but I using version 6, and it can fine-tune the size of jpeg's and you can save and open tif's.

NAHTMMM
09-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Oh good. Ours freezes up when we try to open TIFs. :?

Nan
09-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Your copy seems to be pooched, Nah.

PS is better overall than PSP. I've worked extensively with both, and actually started out with PSP. And PS 5.5 has an ellipse tool.

admiral sab
09-11-2004, 01:21 AM
I have Photoshop and it was free! 650 dollars? US? ;) You overpaid.

NAHTMMM
09-11-2004, 01:48 AM
And PS 5.5 has an ellipse tool.

Never seen it, unless you're talking about the paintbrushes... ;)

Xeroc
09-11-2004, 02:19 AM
It does cost $650, the only way it was free is if it was pirated.

And I never said I paid for it, or even have it on my home computer...

Zeke
09-11-2004, 02:46 AM

Where did you get it?

admiral sab
09-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Why do you want to know, Zeke? Huh? You gonna rat me out?

lol I got it from a friend who took a bunch of graphics courses and he paid for Corel draw and Adobe. I didn't realize it was THAT much. I don't think he paid that much.