PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER GAME - Mornington Crescent

Chancellor Valium
09-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Very simple game - if you don't understand, go to google and search for "Mornington Crescent".
Rules for this version:
We are using a modern London tube map (ie including the jubilee line!)
Players must start no further in than, southwards, above the Thames, North, below the line from North Woolwich to Richmond.
Players must not start on the Northern Line
I will start:
Caledonian Road

Xeroc
09-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Okay, how about...

Seven Sisters

[Note: If you're wondering how to play, or what the heck we're talking about, look here:

Mornington Crescent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent)

And for a map of the London Underground:

London Underground (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colormap.pdf)

Hope that helps]

stripysox
09-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Any chance of someone here explaining it in a non-comfusing way? Or perhaps I am just to thick to understand. Sounds fun though, I want to play! :)

taya17
09-14-2004, 01:05 AM
You do realize that a large majority of the forumgoers here don't know the London Underground by heart, do you?

Xeroc
09-14-2004, 03:27 AM
You do realize that a large majority of the forumgoers here don't know the London Underground by heart, do you?
That's why I included a link to a map, if you don't:
And for a map of the London Underground:

London Underground (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colormap.pdf)

taya17
09-14-2004, 03:37 AM
I might be wrong, but it seems to me as if the point of the game is to test the player's knowledge of the subway system, in which case making use of a map would completely defeat the purpose?

I don't know...as a whole the game doesn't make a ton of sense for me, so I might be mistaken. *shrug*

Xeroc
09-14-2004, 03:43 AM
I might be wrong, but it seems to me as if the point of the game is to test the player's knowledge of the subway system, in which case making use of a map would completely defeat the purpose?

I don't know...as a whole the game doesn't make a ton of sense for me, so I might be mistaken. *shrug*
Well, it doesn't make a (metric!) ton of sense to me either, but as far as I know, it's a game that doesn't really have much of a purpose (kind of like a lot of stuff here) and is just for fun. It also is suppossed to have creative and funny rules.

taya17
09-14-2004, 03:56 AM
Maybe we should make use of something more accessible, like Voyager episodes? We can have creative rules too, like "List all the episodes in Season 3 in order, except those in which Janeway is shown drinking more than one cup of coffee"...

I think I get this game now, though, it's a mental exercise like 7-Up. (That's the game where you take turns sounding off numbers in order, except you have to say "Up!" everytime you come to a number that has a 7 in it, or is a multiple of 7...)

Xeroc
09-14-2004, 04:21 AM
Maybe we should make use of something more accessible, like Voyager episodes? We can have creative rules too, like "List all the episodes in Season 3 in order, except those in which Janeway is shown drinking more than one cup of coffee"...
You realize that would be like, one episode.

Alexia
09-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Ooooh, I like the sound of somthing like that!

I think I get this game now, though, it's a mental exercise like 7-Up. (That's the game where you take turns sounding off numbers in order, except you have to say "Up!" everytime you come to a number that has a 7 in it, or is a multiple of 7...)
And there was me thinking you meant the soft drink :wink:

As for this game...*has a flashback of being on the tube, on a hot day, this summer*

*runs kicking and screaming from game*

taya17
09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
You realize that would be like, one episode.

That was just a hypothetical example :D

Chancellor Valium
09-14-2004, 12:30 PM
OFF TOPIC!!!!! Can we stick to playing Mornington Crescent in this thread? You can find rules by typing "rules for Mornington Crescent" into google.
You can't go to seven sisters! We're playing Marquess of Pigswade rules! You can't approach seven sisters on the diagonal from the Picadilly or Waterloo /City lines!
Oh, and by the way, its not a "subway" it's the TUBE! T-U-B-E!!!

Alexia
09-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Speaking of Subways, did you ever have a subway sandwich?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...sandwich :mrgreen: :wink:

Chancellor Valium
09-14-2004, 04:01 PM
OFF TOPIC AGAIN!!!!!

Alexia
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Speaking of Topics, does anyone know where you can but them? They are an English chocolate bar I haven't seen for yeeeeeeeears... :wink:

OK! Ok, I'll stop now :wink: :mrgreen: I couldn't resist :wink:

But seriously Valium, off topics happen :wink:

Chancellor Valium
09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Sorry. Been around one v. serious forum for a while now....

Xeroc
09-14-2004, 10:08 PM
You can't go to seven sisters! We're playing Marquess of Pigswade rules! You can't approach seven sisters on the diagonal from the Picadilly or Waterloo /City lines!
Of course I knew that, I was just testing you.

I'm actually going to start at...

Kingsbury

Draknek
09-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Ah, clever. However, I think I'm going to have to double cross-trip along the second major line, taking me to Kenton and unfortunately blocking your plan.

Xeroc
09-14-2004, 10:26 PM
A smart move, but, alas, that was not my plan after all!

I move to ...

Earl's Court!

Chancellor Valium
09-15-2004, 09:53 AM
I block BOTH your moves, with Marylebone change for Clapham Common!

PointyHairedJedi
09-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Ah, good old MC, eh? I started a game last week over at the TrekBBS.

A nice move, Vallium, but it leaves you vulnerable to a Blenhiem Double Switch (a preferred move, you may recall, of Sir William Edgemont), such as...

Neasden. :wink:

Alexia
09-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Hmmm. I don't know what the frell is going on here. I may actually be forced to go and read the rules. :shock:

Xeroc
09-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Tricky, very Tricky...

However, I do believe that move was also one that the experienced player Eleanor Ravenscourt found was easily foiled by a move to...

Green Park!

Chancellor Valium
09-15-2004, 06:26 PM
You BOTH forget the Viscount Poddesby-Potter's-Bar maneuver, which easily bypasses both your attempts. And so (Along Penegar's Rules of Digression) move to
Tower Hamlets!

PointyHairedJedi
09-15-2004, 09:50 PM
You're of course assuming that I was using a Blenhiem Double Switch. Perhaps, you see, I've been using a Black Maria Gambit - so named for its frequent use by the London Metropolitan Police Mornington Crescent Team (nicknamed Bow Street Irregulars), particularly at the 1957 All-Counties Police Championships, where led to a decisive victory over the RUC team, and gained them the cup. Of course, it's fallen into disuse in recent years - it's not really considered trendy enough anymore, despite being a real clincher in the right situations, but I like to break it out every now and then. Like now, for instance.

Stratford.

:D

SCMoll
09-16-2004, 01:28 AM
A game of Mornington Crescent! I'm always up fro that! (And there's one at TrekBBS, PHJ? I must find that, too.)

The Black Maria Gambit? Give me a break. There's a good reason it's fallen into disuse-- it is easily trumped by Cross-switch Turkish Play, which not only places everything beyond Barking on the District Line in a state of spoon, but nullifies the starting conditions set up by Valium, allowing me to make my first move at:

Camden Town

Xeroc
09-16-2004, 03:35 AM
Well, you see, while that may be true, I also can take advantage of your move (through the 63rd rule of Multiple Cross-switching) by taking a triple cross-switch along the Victoria, Northern, and Jubilee lines, then proceeding (according to the Zone 1 rule of spooti-anerisms) along the Waterloo & City Line to...

Bank.

Chancellor Valium
09-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Ho-ho! A Double switch?
Well, I'm afraid that puts you out of Shunt, Pointy!
And now Xeroc is in Nip, thus making my move....
Finchley Park.

SCMoll
09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Fah! I am sure you thought that a complicated, and devilishly clever move, but you are most certainly not aware of the 1987 extension to the High House Rules of Brittany, under which you have made a most grevious error. With both the states of nip and spoon currently active, you see, the Ninth Subjugate Appendix (3rd revision: 1996) allows me to create an antithetical norm across the game board to:

Perivale

Chancellor Valium
09-16-2004, 06:37 PM
You forget, sir, that that effects to give me the ability to Spon-Deflect, from the 1274 competition - it was the winning move. I therefore move you, along a congression, to
Victoria change for Vladivostok HA!

Xeroc
09-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Of course, normally, being in a state of nip and spoon would prevent one from this next move by the simple law of restructuring in the event of more than one possibile state of diagonal cross-switched rail lines in the event of a 5MV X Years ago event on that day when a player has moved along the Victoria line in the previous move and the river Thames was referred to in the starting rules, however, I can redistribute the effects of nip and spoon to the East London and Metropolitan lines to create an effect of spork along the Victoria line, through the effect of the second law of Marble Arch and tube directives, thereby shunting Valium away from his original plan, and foiling both PHJ and Scmoll by a move to...

Leicester Square.

Obviously. :D

SCMoll
09-17-2004, 12:54 AM
By the Supreme Pontiff! How can this be? Both of those moves were so obvious, and yet I utterly failed to anticipate them and develop a counter-gambit. Well played, sirs, well played.

What I should have done was go to Hanger Lane, not Perivale, but I didn't think of, now did I? :roll: And now with the Victoria line in a state of spork, my options at this point are severely limited, since the Emergency Declaration of the 1802 Penmaenmawr Tournament doesn't allow biverse transduction, and that's really the only way out of this situation.

However, if we examine closely the rather vague wording of the Emergency Declaration of the 1804 Tywyn Tournament, we see that it does not quite anticipate the effects of the Laws of Marble Arch -- which were quite kindly activated by Xeroc -- thus allowing me to implement the Fourth Law, temporarily disengaging the state of spork for the next five moves. Such an implementation leaves exactly one biverse transduction open to me, so I shall have to play:

Bounds Green

Chancellor Valium
09-17-2004, 10:00 AM
Then I shall play The Tube-Uningression Halpley Double Ruff, moving us to Llafairpwthgwyngeth!

catalina_marina
09-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Any chance of someone here explaining it in a non-comfusing way? Or perhaps I am just to thick to understand. Sounds fun though, I want to play! :)
Seconded. I read the "rules", but I don't get it. :roll:

Also, I hate it when people invite me to play a game, only saying it's simple, but won't explain the rules. :roll:

Alexia
09-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Seconded. I read the "rules", but I don't get it. :roll:

Well, I...couldn't actually be bothered to read them :wink:

I know. I'm lazy :wink:

SCMoll
09-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, I thought http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent did a fine job of explaining the idea. Personally, I did pick it up by watching the game in play. But if you really want to know, you could always PM me or something.

And as for my next move: Osterly

Ordinarily, I'd explain this as usual, but this move is do devilishly complicated and clever that it would take quite a bit of writing, and justice still wouldn't be done, so I'd just advise you all to check out page 71 of the Integrated Mornington Crescent Rulebook: Obverse Variant, 9th edition, 4th printing (German translation).

Xeroc
09-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, Cat and Alexia, if you come to the IRC I'm sure I could explain it to you, as I couldn't possibly do so here.

Also, SCMoll, I also believe the Wikipedia Article does an excellent job of explaining at least the general aspects of the game, which is why I provided a link to it in my first post in this thread.

Also, a very clever move, and an excellent interpretation of the rules to get out of a sticky situation, and to maintain my advantage over the Eastern portion, (now that the effect of spork has been temporarly disengaged) I must call up a rather, no - extremely obscure gambit played by the late Sir Edward Paddington the III in the famous Monington Crescent game of 1383, where he singlehandedly defeated three consipring opponents attempting to create negative effects and remove his advantages, naturally, the full discussion of the moves would not fit in such a small space, so I will suffice it to say...

Canonbury.

Chancellor Valium
09-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Huh. A child's move! I counter both of you along Stacklady's Congressional Pentagram Of Illumin - pushing both of you into states of Loop and Hoop, respectively. I therefore move to (along the Catholic themes)
Southwark, change for Lambeth North

Alexia
09-17-2004, 08:32 PM
LMFAO! :lol: *holds sides*

Ok, I just read the thing Xeroc posted :wink: And re-read the thread from the beginning. :lol: :lol:

LOL! This is a cool game! You people are nuts :wink:

Now, I'm just a beginner at this, but I believe I can quite sucessfully block you by changing lines and platform skipping over to Embankment :mrgreen:

Chancellor Valium
09-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Interesting choice. But a move to Aldgate, I'm afraid, scuppers that.....

Alexia
09-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Thats true, I didn't see that one coming. I think I need more practice! I'll try Waterloo, seeing as it's got more routes that most. A novice move, I know.

SCMoll
09-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Not bad at all. You're certainly playing better than I did in my first game. I was trapped in a state of spoon at the Heathrow Terminals; not a good place to be at all. Waterloo certainly does give you a number of options, but if you take a close look at the 1939 Malaysian Variant Core Rulebook, you'll see that with the game board configured as it is, I can invoke Roudebush Directive, and lock out Northern and Bakerloo lines into an antediluvian state by playing

Westminister

A somewhat harsh move against a noobie, to be sure, but I'm confidant you can cope, especially if you're even vaguely familiar with how Samuel Pepys won the 1687 British Special Naval Tournament.

EDIT: I must add that with states of spoon, nip, spork, loop, and hoop all technically active, the addition of the antediluvian state (now that spork is back in play) is threatening to cause the entire game to become a Zone of Reverse Regression if the wrong move is made. Such a catastrophe has not been seen since 1312 Westphalian Tournament, and as such I'd advise everyone to play carefully.

Xeroc
09-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Thats true, I didn't see that one coming. I think I need more practice!
Don't worry, Alexia, you'll be playing like a professional in no time flat!

EDIT: I must add that with states of spoon, nip, spork, loop, and hoop all technically active, the addition of the antediluvian state (now that spork is back in play) is threatening to cause the entire game to become a Zone of Reverse Regression if the wrong move is made. Such a catastrophe has not been seen since 1312 Westphalian Tournament, and as such I'd advise everyone to play carefully.
Yes, that would be nothing short of disasterous for this game, and so naturally, utilizing the Third Zone Laws Addendum which was added by the IMCS in 1483 to prevent such Zones of Reverse Regression from ever occurring, I can use the 32nd Law, as I am currently in the state of hoop, to reiliminify the states of hoop, nip, spork and spoon to create a full-fledged effect of fork on all lines West of Holland Park, thereby canceling the effects of hoop, spork, spoon, and nip until (or if) they are activated again. This, of course, is accomplished by applying the Thirteenth Loop Law of Antediluvian Reverse Regression, moving me quite nicely into the position of...

Sloane Square.

Now with the Multi-Pronged effects of Fork now in play with the antediluvian effect along the Northern and Bakerloo lines, it does present a possiblilty of Zone Derivitavization, but that would not nearly be as detrimental to play as the dreaded Zone of Reverse Regression!

Alexia
09-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Wow, you put me in a difficult position which it took quite a while to figure a way out of. But, out of it I have figured! :mrgreen:

To get out of my sticky situation I am going to use The Paddington Bear manouver, by which I mean I pack myself neatly into my little suitcase and leave myself on my current platform until someone comes along and notices me, and considers me a dangerous package. Then, they will transport me off the station. On route, I will hop out and make my way to the only plausable station,

Paddington

Chancellor Valium
09-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Ah, the Paddington double Ruff. Well, since we are being so careful, need I remind you all of the Regression Zone Localisation move, allowed since the 2000 meeting in Kyoto? I therefore put you all into such local regression zones, and move to:
Tooting Bec !

taya17
09-18-2004, 10:27 AM
You guys are all OUTTA YOUR SKULLS. You know that? :roll: Jeebuz.

Chancellor Valium
09-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Actually, if you were to read the instructions a couple of times, it would make a lot of sense.

AKAArzosah
09-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Aah! So that's how you play. Intriguing...

Well, I...couldn't actually be bothered to read them

Neither did I till just now! But this topic is fun to watch.

Chancellor Valium
09-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Why not join in?

PointyHairedJedi
09-18-2004, 06:30 PM
(And there's one at TrekBBS, PHJ? I must find that, too.)
It's in the Admiral's Lounge, unfortunately. When it's done though I'll save it and post it. It's always informative watching others play a match.

I think I'll jump in and play my Wild Card at this point, and reverse-shuffle over to Earl's Court.

SCMoll
09-18-2004, 06:48 PM
^ Aw, and here's me down at the level of Fleet Captain. (Not that I've ever been in the lounges in any case.)

Some tricky moves since my last one; Alexia seems to be playing by the New Updated Modern Improved Contemporary Neo-Rulebook. An interesting choice, as most MC players these days seem to eschew any developments post-1985, after the Crisis on Infinite Ealings. The game just hasn't been the same since then, though it has had its high points. And unfortunately for me, I am not very familiar with the NUMICNR, so I shall have to muddle through.

However, it is fairly obvious what PHJ is up to, so I shall cash in my void chips and redirect to:

Harrow-on-the-Hill

This also allows me to escape the Local Regression Zone, and in fact places Valium in a Double Local Regression Zone! Ha!

PointyHairedJedi
09-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Clapham North.

Which of course gnampfs you quite nicely, SCMoll. :P

Chancellor Valium
09-19-2004, 12:49 PM
A double local regression zone? That's impossible with nip, spoon, spork, hoop and loop still in play, however, I lock you in a Perpetual Stasis Ingression, by doing a quick foxtrot to
Maida Vale

Xeroc
09-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Valium, did you read my last move?

I clearly explained that the effects of hoop, spork, spoon, and nip were deactivated, however activating the effect of Fork. This, of course makes a double local regression zone possible!

thereby canceling the effects of hoop, spork, spoon, and nip until (or if) they are activated again. This, of course, is accomplished by applying the Thirteenth Loop Law of Antediluvian Reverse Regression, moving me quite nicely into the position of...

Sloane Square.

Now with the Multi-Pronged effects of Fork now in play with the antediluvian effect along the Northern and Bakerloo lines, it does present a possiblilty of Zone Derivitavization, but that would not nearly be as detrimental to play as the dreaded Zone of Reverse Regression!

My next move incorporates a secret move used by the Underground Mornington Crescent Society of Tuvalu, and naturally, being so obscure it is in fact in another language and is utterly untranslatable, I will suffice it to say...

Woodford

Chancellor Valium
09-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Nip is now in play, along with Ship. Allowing me to cancel the regression zones, and move to Tottenham Hale

SCMoll
09-19-2004, 07:42 PM
With ship in effect, my ability to move has been severely limited, so I shall castle to cancel out the Perpetual Stasis Ingression I'm presently in, so therefore I can do a quadratic twist to:

Willesden Junction

catalina_marina
09-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I'd join in, but I really don't get it. Therefor, I'll just ignore this thread for the time being. :roll:

taya17
09-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Pssst.... they're just making it up as they go along.

Chancellor Valium
09-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Really? Well, I shall activate a states of Slop and Flop, by moving to
Shoreditch

PointyHairedJedi
09-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Invoking Rule 221B means I can safely move to...

Baker Street.

Chancellor Valium
09-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Which is safely countered from Morden

Xeroc
09-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Smart, but, alas, that is easily dispatched from a simple decimetration to...

Willesden Junction

Yeah, I'd join in, but I really don't get it. Therefore, I'll just ignore this thread for the time being.
I'd be happy to explain it to you sometime in the IRC!

Chancellor Valium
09-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Not really. I can strengthen my position considerably, while weakening everyone else and ending your little Reverse Cribsby Double Switch by going to Watford

Xeroc
09-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Almost, but you forgot the Trichotomous Linear Switch Interaction allowing me to move decisively to...

South Ealing

Chancellor Valium
09-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Leaving you open to a cross-stitch maneuver to Borough Which strengthens my position further.

PointyHairedJedi
09-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Ah! Just the oppertunity I've been waiting for. This is just a perfect chance to use an Allenby Axial Cross-switch variation.

Hammersmith!

Chancellor Valium
09-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Except that the '93 Vladivostok convention outlaws such a move.
And safely allows ME to move to
Old Street

PointyHairedJedi
09-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Except that the '93 Vladivostok convention outlaws such a move.
Only if you're playing one of the Main Line varations. Which we aren't. :P

Chancellor Valium
09-24-2004, 06:51 PM
OR Marquess of Turberry, which we ARE playing :D

PointyHairedJedi
09-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Dammit! Of course, since we're in the second half of the month... I should have remembered. Bah.

Anyway.

Ravenscourt Park.

Chancellor Valium
09-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Hmph. Pudding Mill Lane.

PointyHairedJedi
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
And now for a Leverhulme Three-Pointer varation... :D

Dollis Hill.

Chancellor Valium
09-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Easily countered by my use of Cardinal Wolsey's Double Regulian Swoop - to Tower Gateway Which also puts everyone else into calypse for the next 12 turns!

PointyHairedJedi
09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Then you leave me no choice but to use my Caladan Modifier, which allows me to declare kanly on the lot of you!

Osterly.

Chancellor Valium
09-29-2004, 07:40 PM
I can invert that by simply using MY Flollop-Voon Degredial Axis Flipwarp Trangentinal Swiddle-Glop (as used by his Wooptiness, the Lord High Sanvalwag of Hollop) - moving me to

Hackney Wick

PointyHairedJedi
10-02-2004, 12:09 PM
:roll:

Snaresbrook.

Chancellor Valium
10-02-2004, 04:15 PM
:shock: You really want to do that? :shock: Well, all right...but I can effectively end your game now......okay, since you said yes.....
Ickenham

Hotaru
10-03-2004, 07:02 AM
This thread has really confused me. As such:

http://finalknight.net/pictures/bunny_pancake.jpg

there ya go.

PointyHairedJedi
10-04-2004, 01:32 PM
You know, I've had rabbit on pancakes before, but never the other way round...

Well, Vallium if you're really sure that's the move you want to make... :P

Ealing Common.

Not laughing now, are you.

Chancellor Valium
10-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh but I am! Thank you so very much sir! Bromley-by-Bow - opening Slaloms Irregular Shnixlixial Swannop, and placing you, my dear pointy in Escalope for the next ninety turns without escape! Due to your foolish use of the Seven Irregular Principles, and the Nine Unusual Ruffs, not to mention the Twenty-Two Intrinsic Bizarrenesses, you have stuck a Reverse Shunt, and a Forward Nip across your proverbial axis, causing Cabdlework to inscribe upon your inner-Spon circuit, placing you in Scrit as well.

Naturally, you know as well as I do that you cannot be in Reverse Shunt, Forward Nip, have Cabdlework inscribed on your inner-Spon Circuit, AND be in Scrit at the same time, without ending up in Scraj Tamal's Interminable and Inescapable Holding Escalope. Quite a neat trick, I think.

Chancellor Valium
10-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Is no-one interested in MC any more?

PointyHairedJedi
10-08-2004, 09:38 PM
I've been ruminating! That's quite a mess you landed me in, you know... :P

Now, the pattern of the game so far has reminded me greatly of one partiuclar historical match of much local fame, namely that of the "Two Joshiah's" in 1785, between of course Wedgewood and Spode. Wedgewood managed to trap Spode in a similar manner, though of course the rules were somewhat different - the Potter's Wheel Rules have never been widely used outside north Stafforshire, and have generally been quite unpopular here since the 1820's anyway. But, as I say, the situation was similar enough. And of course Wedgewood thought, as did all the spectators, that Spode's defeat was only a matter of time, but somehow in a moment of clarity Spode percieved that all was not lost after all...

So, using Spode's Third Kiln maneuver (as it came to be known), I will make my next move:

Hyde Park Corner.

Chancellor Valium
10-09-2004, 02:38 PM
You can't. As Southwark was played earlier in the game that would cause a Trans-Temporal-Tube-rollup - and possibly unbalance the fabric of the Tube Map! THINK before you try such unused maneuvers, please.

PointyHairedJedi
10-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Unless you've got your Trans-Dimensional Stabilizer engaged, in which case it's perfectly legal. And really, who'd be foolish enough not to do that? So I'm afraid the move is perfectly valid, Vallium.

Chancellor Valium
10-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Not when you're playing Marquess of Turberry in the early part of October! Paris, '72 I'm afraid enforced that rule.

Xeroc
10-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Not when you're playing Marquess of Turberry in the early part of October! Paris, '72 I'm afraid enforced that rule.
Aha, but Valium, aren't you forgetting the feliad rules of the third precinct!

It legalizes that move and allows me, to move to, and in commemoration of the new subsite...

Angel!

Chancellor Valium
10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
You can do that, but Pointy is in Escalope. And can't. Because the feliad was pre-72 (64, wasn't it?) this means that Pointy is in Escalope regardless.
A silly move, easily reversed by moving to
Totteridge & Whetstone

PointyHairedJedi
10-16-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm afraid everyone I've consulted with says it was a perfectly legal move, Vallium - I even went so far as to send off a letter to the current MC Ajudcator-General. You'll just have to concede it, I'm afraid.

Bermonsey.

Chancellor Valium
10-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Hmm...all right...It contravines the '92 Interjunction, for which, I would point out, the current MCAG was not present (being ill)....all right...
here's another nice little move....
Seven Sisters
which moves you to Fairlop. I'm sure I need not explain why.....

PointyHairedJedi
10-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Indeed not. A clever application of Fermat's Last MC Theorem, if I do say so myself. The transverse spinnaker was exceptionaly deftly applied.

Anway, Fairlop it must be.

Chancellor Valium
10-19-2004, 07:27 PM
You don't make a move from Fairlop?

PointyHairedJedi
10-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Oh, if I weren't in Escalope, then yes indeed, I'd be moving from there, but as I am, and as it is an even numbered month, then I move to Fairlop.

Anyway, Stepney Green. Not the best choice, but the best I can make at this time.

Chancellor Valium
10-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Uxbridge.

PointyHairedJedi
10-30-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm afraid the game will have to go on hiatus for a few days while I'm off digging up potatoes in Liverpool. Unless you can find someone else to play, that is.

Chancellor Valium
10-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Xeroc, SCMoll and Alexia appear to have dropped out... :(

PointyHairedJedi
11-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Okay, I have a bit of spare time to consider the game at last. Now, just getting back into the swing of things, I'll take...

Goldhawk Road.

Chancellor Valium
11-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Holloway Park :twisted:
Edit: WOO 500th Post! :D :D :D

Chancellor Valium
11-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Is no one going to make a next move?

PointyHairedJedi
11-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Ah, I'd forgotten all about this little game.

Alright then, Osterly.

Chancellor Valium
11-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Ho-hum. What a dull move. But Highgate puts you into Sclap fairly nicely, so I once again win V points on the diagonal trans-temporal gate axis....

PointyHairedJedi
11-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Merely a short-term gain, as you will see presently.

Canada Water.

Chancellor Valium
12-01-2004, 08:26 PM
that's what you think. Now, I claim Finchley Road & Frognal as blip, putting the Central Line wild! :D

PointyHairedJedi
12-01-2004, 08:47 PM
You're going to have to try harder than that if you're trying to get me worried. :P

I'll see your Central Line and raise you a District and Circle - Tower Hill.

Chancellor Valium
12-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Fah! I laugh at that move. And make Brent Cross Triscalic across the Northern Line, moving District and Circle out of phase and into Splot.

Mj
12-01-2004, 10:07 PM
As I guess I must start somewhere, I shall buy my ticket from the greasy booth of:

Chesham!

PointyHairedJedi
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Oh my, this is too perfect. I was going to wait before putting my carefully planned Whitehall 76NBSRT#7A inverse cross-hatch into play, but this is the perfect oppertunity. And you'll never guess where it takes me...

Mornington Crescent! :D

Chancellor Valium
12-02-2004, 10:22 PM
No, sorry. If we were playing by the '31 Crescent rule set, maybe. But as you know, Marble Arch '54 removes your ability to do that under section 4 subsection 8

Chancellor Valium
12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Therefore, I make the move Notting Hill Gate

PointyHairedJedi
12-03-2004, 11:04 PM
...Well, shoot, there's not much point in arguing that now is there.

Is anyone up for a fresh round?

Chancellor Valium
01-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Maybe now..............Finchley Road & Frognal

PointyHairedJedi
01-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Hmm....

I shall open with Kinnear's Gambit, and play Harrow-on-the-Hill (yes, I know what you're thinking :P ).

Chancellor Valium
01-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Arnos Grove (No you don't :P)

PointyHairedJedi
01-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Hatton Cross.

Sorry if I startled you there. ;)

Chancellor Valium
01-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Walthamstow Central. No, not really :wink:

PointyHairedJedi
01-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Westferry.

I was just checking. It sometimes takes people by surprise. I can see you've had at least a modicum of experience though.

Chancellor Valium
01-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the compliment :wink:
Notting Hill Gate :wink:

PointyHairedJedi
01-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Now that was slightly cheeky... :P

Barons Court

Chancellor Valium
01-23-2005, 08:53 PM
.....and so was that :P
Mill Hill the Hale, change for Dollis Hill

PointyHairedJedi
01-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Oh, this is almost too good. I can put my Penny Lane Special (always a favourite, you may recall, of Ringo Starr) into play now.

Mornington Crescent! :D

Chancellor Valium
01-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry.....I thought this was Holland Park 2000. Unless I'm mistaken, your move is exclusively allowable in Chesham '98. And, in Holland Park, that means that you effectively default to Camden Town, meaning I can move to Arnos Grove

Flixibixi
01-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Probably because I like to cross rivers, but equally probably because I'm blonde, I'm starting off with London Bridge.

This map had better be right, I swear to pie...

Chancellor Valium
01-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Ah! Good to see a new player! Welcome! Well, that's rather stymieing, until, that is, Dollis Hill!

PointyHairedJedi
02-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Okay, so maybe I was slightly off-mark there. I always end up getting tripped up by technicalities, annoyingly. Perhaps it's time I went out and bought an up-to-date rulebook - my 1976 Stovold's Compendium is rather out of date by now.

Greenford.

KillerGodMan
02-06-2005, 02:40 AM
After careful studying of the rules, I get the game,

I start at Finsbury Park

Chancellor Valium
02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Interesting.........beware, though, of Victoria, change for Vladivostok, return From Russia With Love. Always a fun way to stymie people :wink:

KillerGodMan
02-06-2005, 11:24 PM
right...

Chancellor Valium
02-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Yes, tricky one to get around, isn't it? :wink:

PointyHairedJedi
02-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Tooting Bec via Stockwell.

As the Death of Rats would say, SNH SNH SNH. :D

Chancellor Valium
02-10-2005, 08:08 PM
more like SQUEAK EEK EEK!
Arnos Grove

PointyHairedJedi
02-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Hmm. You're kinda pushing the bounds of good taste there. Still, being the lenient sort of chap that I am I'll let it slip this time. ;)

Park Royal

Chancellor Valium
02-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Ooh, that was naughty, Pointy :wink:
Dollis Hill. Dollis Hill Loop, I'm afraid :roll: :roll:

PointyHairedJedi
02-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Argh! That's even worse than a CVE! I shall have to ponder this next move very carefully.

KillerGodMan
02-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Highbury & Islington is where I'm at

Chancellor Valium
02-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Finchley Road & Frognal shoud keep you both amused....

PointyHairedJedi
02-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Trying to put me on the defensive, eh? Well, I've been waiting for a good oppertunity to use my Sanderson's No. 7, and this looks like it.

Wapping

Chancellor Valium
02-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Ha! Try this:
Osterly

PointyHairedJedi
02-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Stamford Brook, you fiend!

Chancellor Valium
02-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Cockfosters! It seems you've been drawn into my little trap, my apprentice!

PointyHairedJedi
02-24-2005, 11:32 PM
I am an apprentice to no-one!

Great Portland Street

Chancellor Valium
02-25-2005, 11:05 PM
I say to that- Tottenham Court Road!

PointyHairedJedi
02-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Ah, now it's starting to get interesting... :D

Aldgate, my good man, and don't spare the horses!

Chancellor Valium
02-26-2005, 04:42 PM
My Kingdom for Arnos Grove :mrgreen:

PointyHairedJedi
02-27-2005, 04:57 PM
You utter bastard! You just blew my Hoffington tri-lateral declining loop right out of the water! Oh, I'll get you for that one, mark my words.... :twisted:

Wanstead

Chancellor Valium
02-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Not if I block you at Tower Hamlets

PointyHairedJedi
03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Mill Hill East! Yes, my friend, I just used a Crouchly Potato flunce, and there's practically nothing you can do about it!

Chancellor Valium
03-03-2005, 02:01 PM
you leave me no choice, then. I invoke Leaves On The Line, causing a diversion via Tuxedo Junction. Dollis Hill

PointyHairedJedi
03-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Croxley!

There, are you happy now? :cry:

Chancellor Valium
03-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Yes :twisted: Mornington Crescent!

PointyHairedJedi
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Gah, you cornered me, you dastard. Well, I suppose I must at any rate congratulate you on your strategy.

Chancellor Valium
03-06-2005, 05:29 PM
*bows* thank you! How about a game of 1672 Holland Park?

PointyHairedJedi
03-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Yes, why not? I've not played anything but more modern variations of late.

I shall utilize the evergreen Faraday's Opening Gambit and place myself firmly at Marble Arch.

Chancellor Valium
03-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Really? Oh goody, this gives me a chance to try out Hook's Highly Irregular Shifting Minor Sixth Principle - Picadilly Circus

PointyHairedJedi
03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Ah, good, just what I was hoping you'd do. I've been itching, you see, to try out a little-known American move (connected with the early space program) that I've been reading about recently - the Explorer 1 orbital knipe.

Wood Green.

Chancellor Valium
03-11-2005, 09:21 PM
In 1672? Unlikely to succeed, unless you're using a Time Ring again :roll:

Morden

PointyHairedJedi
03-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I think a little temporal lattitude is no bad thing.

Chancellor Valium
03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
In a game of rules from 1672 it is!

PointyHairedJedi
03-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Yew, but we're not in 1672, are we. One of the beauties of this particular variation is that it shows the unusual foresight (for the time) of being flexible enough to accomodate new moves, gambits and strategies, not just the ones of the period. So nyah. :P

Westminster

Chancellor Valium
03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Hmmmmm..........Lambeth, opening the Ecclesiastical Line, declaring Picadilly wild :wink:

Chancellor Valium
04-02-2005, 02:50 AM
Hmmmmm..........Lambeth, opening the Ecclesiastical Line, declaring Picadilly wild :wink:

I predict at least seventy moves from this one........

PointyHairedJedi
04-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to compute my next move using advanced and extremely complex mathematical formulas, but as none of them really seemed to work I'm just going to move to:

Hyde Park Corner

Chancellor Valium
04-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I'll go for a mellow yellow Picadilly Circus

PointyHairedJedi
04-06-2005, 03:00 PM
My my, most ambitious of you. What are you up to, I wonder?

Lamberth North

Chancellor Valium
04-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Fwooo! There goes your plans - Finchley Road & Frognal....There really should be a smug smily, don't you think :wink: ?

PointyHairedJedi
04-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Hmmm....

You are a tricksy one, aren't you. This calls for a slight readdressing of my strategy, I think. A Finchbury's Old Peculiar (Revision 4) ought to do the job.

Eastcote

Chancellor Valium
04-11-2005, 11:26 AM
hmmm.....Tooting Bec, employing the Old Slightly Unusual Variation on Fermat's Third Left-Hand Theorem, triggering Resultant XX across the Newtonian Digression

PointyHairedJedi
04-13-2005, 04:44 PM
You've upset my digestive processes most considerably now, I hope you realise that.

Your Cumberland variant strategy so far has been quite inventive, I must say, but a Davies "Bad Wolf" Progression I think you'll find rather throws a spanner in the works. :P

Russell Square

Chancellor Valium
06-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Only the game you think I'm playing.......

Canada Water, the Singleton Misbalance is off again........

PointyHairedJedi
06-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Nice try, but no cigar.

Bayswater

Chancellor Valium
06-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Ah, good. You fell straight into my trap!
Arnos Grove!
A classic, I'm sure you'll agree :)

PointyHairedJedi
06-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Ohhh, that was sneaky.

A good thing I know a way out, eh?

Sudbury Hill

Chancellor Valium
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Hmm.....Better stop you then , hadn't I?
Morden, change for High Barnet
:wink:

PointyHairedJedi
07-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Hah! The perfect moment to use my Wilvebury's Snare:

A train has come off the tracks near White City, and all Central Line services are delayed as a result.

Nyah. :P

Chancellor Valium
07-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Ho-hum. Very well then. Kew Gardens.

PointyHairedJedi
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Elm Park.

Ah, the Grantham Feint always was a favourite of mine.

Chancellor Valium
07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Blackhorse Road. I'm sure you don't need the implications explaining to you............

PointyHairedJedi
07-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Good old Carmichael, eh? Although not so good for me at this particular moment...

Surrey Quays, changing at Whitechapel

Chancellor Valium
07-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Ah, a Sutton Cross, unless I'm mistaken?
Excellent, this gives me the opening for.......

Mornington Crescent by a simplified double strile!