PDA

View Full Version : the official "why I chose my forum name" thread

Chancellor Valium
10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Umm...I think it has something to do with the Phantom Menace - Supreme Chancellor Valorum - rather dull, so he could be - Supreme Chancellor Valium. Though I didn't do THAT conciously. the concious process was Time Lords. Have a Chancellor. Was doing something DW related, and needed a new pseudonym. Anyhoo. Time Lords are incredibly dull. So Chancellor Valium seemed kinda appropriate.

stripysox
10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I like all my screan names to match so I had to come up with osmething. Lack of imagination. The fact that I like socks. The fact that you can write it sTRIPysox. That last one being somewhat pathetic. I have thought about changing it, but that seems like too much bother.

Alexia
10-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Ahhh, interesting question.

Um.

Well, I was going for a Voyager name, but I didn't want to go down the Janeway147232 route so I picked a really really minor character; so minor she was only talked about and seen in photos, ie: Neelix's favourite sister.

But I went and spelled it wrong! :lol: About 6 months after registering EVERYWHERE with the name Alexia, I read Jeri Taylors Pathways and found out it was spelled Alixia...but it was rather too late then :wink:

Anonymous
10-13-2004, 09:53 PM
I was Alixia for a while, for the same reason. Its a cool name. If I have a little girl I may well call her that.

stripysox
10-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Not that anyone realy neads to know this but that last post was me. I just forgot to log in. :roll: I'm sleepy.

Draknek
10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
I've used Draknek for many years now, ever since needing a unique username on Battle.net. For some reason, appending numbers to something I'd thought of never occurred to me. This is good, because I have a username that is 99.99% guaranteed not to be already claimed, anywhere.

Anyway, I think the actual name came from thinking about dragons and cutting their heads off, and to do so, you'd cut through their neck.

Possibly. It's been a while.

Ginga
10-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Fuyu Ginga is the name I've used everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Except Neopets. XP

It came into existance on a forum I don't even go to anymore... I decided to change my name, take out the numbers, and make it look cooler. So I sat there for a while... not thinking of anything.

Finally I said, "Hey... I was Sailor Galaxy when my friend and I wrote that Sailor Moon fanfic way back when... I could put galaxy somewhere in there..."

Then, "Hey, my favorite season's winter... I'll put winter in there..."

So then I had "Winter Galaxy". But that didn't sound cool enough.

I grabbed my Japanese/English dictionary and, you guessed it, translated that to Japanese.

And there you have it. "Fuyu Ginga" means "Winter Galaxy" in Japanese, and now you know the reasons why I chose it and use it eeeeverywhere.

Xeroc
10-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Well, there's not a whole lot of story, really.

It sounds pretty cool.

There you have it. Happy? :D

Ginga
10-13-2004, 10:14 PM

It sounds pretty cool.

It's because you like copying things and wanted to pay homage to Xerox without breaking any copyright laws.

Katy Jane
10-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, I was going for a Voyager name, but I didn't want to go down the Janeway147232 route so I picked a really really minor character; so minor she was only talked about and seen in photos, ie: Neelix's favourite sister.

But I went and spelled it wrong! :lol: About 6 months after registering EVERYWHERE with the name Alexia, I read Jeri Taylors Pathways and found out it was spelled Alixia...but it was rather too late then :wink:

I always wondered if that was what happened. :lol:

Contrary to popular belief my name has nothing to do with Kathryn Janeway. When I went to pick my user name for my Yahoo email adress years ago (*checks her Yahoo profile* Four years ago to be percise) I decided to be so unimaginitive as to use my own name. :shock: :wink: I didn't however want to use Katrina as it isn't a very common name, and Katie (which is how I use to spell it) seemed too boring. So i used my Grandmas spelling for my name, Katy. My Yahoo name is Katy_j2001 and in the fall of 01 i decided that the J should stand for something, but i didn't want to use my real middle name so i picked Jane, because my mom use to call me Lady Jane (Yes thats where my LJ name comes from too ;) ) And because of the long runing family joke that if it had been up to my dad he would have given me a boring name like jane. ;) So there you have it thats how i became Alexia's name sake even though i hadn't met her. ;)

Hotaru
10-13-2004, 10:34 PM
I was told Hotaru means "Firefly" in Japanese. I thought it was cool. Little did I know it was a girls name.

Ginga
10-13-2004, 10:41 PM
I was told Hotaru means "Firefly" in Japanese. I thought it was cool. Little did I know it was a girls name.

The first time I saw your name, I was like, "Oh, hey, a Sailor Saturn fan?" XD

Hotaru
10-13-2004, 10:43 PM

The first time I saw your name, I was like, "Oh, hey, a Sailor Saturn fan?" XD

I'm actually not a fan of Sailor Moon. However, I get that alot.

Xeroc
10-13-2004, 10:44 PM

It sounds pretty cool.

It's because you like copying things and wanted to pay homage to Xerox without breaking any copyright laws.
Actually, most of my ideas are quite orginal! :D

AKAArzosah
10-13-2004, 11:49 PM
My name is actually the name of a dragon in a series of books I read. I first used the name here, but now it's spread to my hotmail address and various other sites i visit.

If you're wondering, the full name is Arzosah Sothey Lorezohaz.

Celeste
10-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Dauna Celeste was my Role playing character, she was Bajoran, hence why I now go by Celeste. However I haven't played her in quite some time.

NeoMatrix
10-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Do I really need to explain where I got my screenname from? If so, I got it from The Matrix, and NeoMatrix sounds cool together.

*cough*FBC*cough*

Zeke
10-14-2004, 06:29 PM
However I haven't played her in quite some time.

Of course not -- she's not a Trill. ;) (What is it with you and Trills, anyway? Are you just a Trill-seeker?)

Zeke is the nickname my grandpa gave me when I was a baby. He even gave me a shirt with "Zeke" on it. Years later, when I first posted online, I figured I could do worse than to use a name I already had. At first the name would vary depending on where I was posting (I was Curt Connors at a Spider-Man board, for example), but now I'm Zeke everywhere -- except on Usenet, where I just use my real name for whatever reason.

As for the now-rarely-seen "Commodore" part, that's from when everyone at Deltachat started picking ranks for themselves. I made a smug little post about how I didn't need a rank to inflate my ego, but I added that if someone thought of a good one, I'd use it. I forget who came up with Commodore -- Sab or Nan, maybe? -- but I loved it right away because of my years programming my Commodore 64. (And also because it meant I outranked almost everybody.) So there you go. I dropped the Commodore pretty quickly at 5MV because I thought it sounded a bit too dorky, but Zuke still uses it -- no amount of ego-inflation is too much for him.

Chancellor Valium
10-14-2004, 06:44 PM
he's only posted thrice....which reminds me...what is it with the six over the 5MV logo on his avvy? And where is he at the moment (:P)?

Alexia
10-14-2004, 07:25 PM
(What is it with you and Trills, anyway? Are you just a Trill-seeker?)
Oh boy... :wink:

Isn't the "6" a "The Sixth Minute" thing, like your LJ? Plus, being one number higher than 5 :wink:

Katy Jane
10-14-2004, 08:47 PM
No its from when Zuke took over the forums and turned it in to 6MV. ;) Last years April fools joke, i beleve.

Edit: Nope it was april 2002!

Draknek
10-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Not just the forums. Lock your past self's doors! Bar the temporal windows from years ago! Nowhere was safe!

Katy Jane
10-15-2004, 12:19 AM
I knew that. Slip of the brain. :p

Sa'ar Chasm
10-15-2004, 12:37 AM
It's a pun, ovciously. The Sa'ar Chasm is either a tourist attraction on Vulcan or a coal-rich hole in the ground in western Germany.

I'm assuming I don't need to explain what I'm punning.

Nan
10-15-2004, 02:40 AM
I forget who came up with Commodore -- Sab or Nan, maybe? -- but I loved it right away because of my years programming my Commodore 64.

It was me. ;)

Chancellor Valium
10-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Where is Zuke? I think I feel a plan coming on..... :D

Celeste
10-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Of course not -- she's not a Trill. ;) (What is it with you and Trills, anyway? Are you just a Trill-seeker?)

Can you say, Groan?

And as for why i'm into Trills, if it was culturaly okay for me to get spots tattooed all the way down my body, I would. My Favorite Character is Trill and there's just something sexy about those damn spots, okay? :P

admiral sab
10-15-2004, 10:30 PM
yep that was Nan, Zeke. Because Admiral was taken by someone (doo de doo) she suggested Commodore.

My name has an interesting history. Sorta like Zeke's. But different. Ok it's exactly like Zeke's. I came online and decided to use my nickname from my High School friend's and (Sab) and at Deltachat everyone was getting ranks (thanks to Nan for starting that) and someone (thanks, Kellie!) suggested Admiral. Of course who is going to pass up the rank of Admiral? HA! I outrank everyone and then the added bonus came with Zekey being my second in command. Yep that's the story behind my nick. Now it just goes with me everywhere. Pretty boring, huh?

BTW Deltachat is celebrating it's fifth anniversary today! :)

KillerGodMan
10-16-2004, 03:33 AM
My name used to be my MSN name, but I keep changing it, but I liked KillerGodMan, because it made me look like A Mortal Killer God, I kinda got the Idea from Dogma (Loki) and ya know...

But elsewhere, I had a different name, On MSN I go by my real name, on fanfiction.net I go by Mr. Kyle, Mr_Kyle_The_Evil on AIM, Mr Kyle the Crazy Evil One on a forum, Mr Kyle the Crazy Guy on another, and Bob_Hope_The_Evil_One on a MSN group.

I like having different names everywhere, I don't know why...

Chancellor Valium
10-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Could I point out to Sab that she doesn't outrank me....*I'M* a Chancellor -in fact, a SUPREME chancellor....and the first name must be a part of Dormir the french verb - the Valorum in TPM is called Finis - I thought this was incredibly daft....

PointyHairedJedi
10-16-2004, 02:22 PM
This name I first came up with for the Dilbert.com site itself for the long since defunct Lazy Entrepreneur (http://www.comics.com/comics/dilbert/lazyentrepreneur/) section. I only ever actually made one submission, but I liked the name so much (an obvious combination of Dilbert and Star Wars that luckily I seem to have been the first to make) that I've since used it everywhere else on the web. I have though used other screennames, on the very odd occasion, usually where PointyHairedJedi is just too long to fit, and in those cases I generally pick CHOAM.

Chancellor Valium
10-16-2004, 06:44 PM
CHOAM? i no understand.....

Scooter
10-17-2004, 01:43 AM
In college I made the mistake of mentioning to my funloving, slightly sadistic friends on the newspaper staff that I hadn't ever really acquired a nickname. They were delighted to be handed the opportunity to gave me one--the nerdiest one they could think of. (Primary inspiration was probably the nerdiest Muppet, but I'm not certain of that.) To this day, whenever my best friend from college catches me doing something nerdy (like, say, writing parodies of thirty-year-old science fiction tv shows) he'll scrunch up his face and call me that name.

Usually I tell people it's because of my fondness for scooter pies, which is plausible--I do love scooter pies--but sadly wrong.

In recent years I've resorted to using it online because (a) my first name is really common and (b) my last name is really common and therefore (c) all permutations of some or all of said names are really common. But Scooter or Scootermark, for better or for worse, are not.

Knowing that your online banking system knows you as Scooter makes doing your finances just that little bit less stark and oppressive, too. :)

Nan
10-17-2004, 04:33 AM

Look, everybody! He hasn't read Dune!

Fresh meat. :twisted:

Chancellor Valium
10-17-2004, 11:47 AM
You try that, I read you some poetry by Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbrige.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: BEWARE MY FREAKY EVILNESS - and the goatee and eyes.... :twisted:

Scooter
10-17-2004, 08:18 PM

Look, everybody! He hasn't read Dune!

Fresh meat. :twisted:

He's just waiting for the movie to come out. ;)

Kira
10-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Look, everybody! He hasn't seen the Dune miniseries!

Fresh meat! :twisted:

As for me, having no nicknames in RL I, similar to Alexia, wanted to nab a Voyager name but nothing really jumped out at me. The next female character that came to mind was Kira, even though I wasn't a DS9 regular at the time, and the rest is history.

Nan
10-18-2004, 01:41 AM

There've been two.

...Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbrige...

I thought it was Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings. Or are you referring to a different book? :mrgreen:

Chancellor Valium
10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
no. This one is real and did write a really dreadful poem. And he appears in the radio series.:P. :twisted: :D

Standback
10-18-2004, 03:04 PM
"Standback" I took at the age of 12 from a character in a Dragonlance book. Specifically, a gnome in a quite minor short story in one of the early short story collections (when Dragonlance was still any good). Standback was a typical gnome who built a wide variety of brilliant-yet-utterly-useless devices. I liked the name, I liked gnomes, and I needed a screenname; it's worked out pretty well. It's a good name that's nice and memorable with no knowledge of the story or setting (which is very good, because few people know the story and I no longer associate myself with the setting very much ;) ).

I've used it on a Discworld MUD, on the Kencyclopedia where I ran a contest (http://www.kencyclopedia.com/kender/survivor/index.cfm) and answered gnome questions (http://www.kencyclopedia.com/kender/ask_kip/DisplayQuestions.cfm?class=gnomish_science) for a while, and other random places. The only forum in which I don't go by Standback is on the Israeli Roleplaying Phorums, where I just didn't manage to make "Standback" stick, but suddenly acquired a bit of a reputation as "Zivities", which is what you get when you squash my RL first and last names together (no "W" in Hebrew, it's a "V" sound instead). Hey, whatever sticks. :)

Zeke
10-18-2004, 09:33 PM
For the record, CHOAM is the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles, the all-encompassing super-corporation of the Duniverse. They're like VoidCorp. Wait, that's an even more obscure reference than CHOAM. Never mind.

Kira wrote:
As for me, having no nicknames in RL I, similar to Alexia, wanted to nab a Voyager name but nothing really jumped out at me. The next female character that came to mind was Kira, even though I wasn't a DS9 regular at the time, and the rest is history.

Of course, now there is a semi-logical reason for the name, since you're the first officer of something.

Valium wrote:
Where is Zuke? I think I feel a plan coming on..... :)

Shhhhhh.

Scooter
10-18-2004, 09:47 PM

There've been two.

Yeah, that was a joooke. *sigh*

Scooter
10-18-2004, 09:48 PM
no. This one is real and did write a really dreadful poem. And he appears in the radio series.:P. :twisted: :D

In fact, the reason he became Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings in the book/tv series, as I understand it, is that the real poet threatened to sue after his name was used in the radio series.

Alexia
10-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Of course, now there is a semi-logical reason for the name, since you're the first officer of something.

But as she's first officer of 5MVoyager, shouldn't she be called Chakotay? No wait, that's just wrong. I withdraw the question :wink:

mudshark
10-19-2004, 07:30 AM
He's just waiting for the movie to come out. ;)There've been two.Yeah, that was a joooke. *sigh*
Well, I thought it was funny, anyway. :D

Guess it's my turn, then. The mudshark is a quasi-legendary (or possibly mythological) figure which appears a number of times in the songs of Frank Zappa. The origin of this is a rather sordid event said to have involved either Led Zeppelin or the Vanilla Fudge, depending upon who's telling the story. Also figuring in are groupies, rented fishing equipment and a waterfront motel in Seattle. If you really want to know any more about it than that, you can do a little looking around here (http://www.arf.ru ), but to protect the easily-offended and this forum's PG rating, no direct link posted here.

PointyHairedJedi
10-19-2004, 06:49 PM
For the record, CHOAM is the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles, the all-encompassing super-corporation of the Duniverse.
Correct. And extra pie for spelling Honnete correctly. I've lost count the number of times I've seen it spelt Honette, or Honnette, or Honete...

And let's not even mention those who get it and the Spacing Guild mixed up. :roll:

...Yeah, I'm done.

Hotaru
10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
*quickly looks about*

*hides before he reveals he has no idea what Dune is*

Ginga
10-20-2004, 01:31 AM
*quickly looks about*

:o

Holy crap, even I know what Dune is. My dad had a lot of the books.

KillerGodMan
10-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Wow, the forum went from "Why I chose my name" to "The Dune Thread" That's cool!

Nan
10-20-2004, 01:57 AM
*quickly looks about*

It's only one of the most amazing science fiction series ever.

The first 3 books--Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune--have been made fairly competently into miniseries by the Sci-Fi channel. David Lynch made a movie of Dune, but opinion varies on its quality. Pointy liked it. FOR SOME REASON WHICH ESCAPES ME! :shock:

Hotaru
10-20-2004, 02:04 AM
The first 3 books--Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune--have been made fairly competently into miniseries by the Sci-Fi channel.

Hmm. That might explain why I've never heard of it. I don't have the Sci-Fi Channel. My dad works for Telus, cable is Shaw, Telus hates Shaw, Shaw hates Telus. Ergo I'll never have the Sci-Fi Channel, I do however have a free cell phone.

Hmm. I wonder if it's possible to find the cliff notes of Dune as read by former FF voice actors....

To google!

Sa'ar Chasm
10-20-2004, 03:18 AM
My dad works for Telus

You poor bugger.

Shaw hates Telus.

Everyone hates Telus.

Hotaru
10-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Shaw hates Telus.

Everyone hates Telus.

I don't hate Telus.

*pets cell phone*

Nan
10-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Available for rental on DVD or VHS. Books are still in print.

And nobody paid me to say that. How sad is that? ;)

Nic Corelli
10-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Back in March 2003, I wrote my first fiver, Symbiosis. I was just about to send it to Marc, when I realized I hadn`t signed it. So in the three or four seconds before I clicked "Send Email", I just signed myself as Nic Corelli. I have no idea why.

Later, I realized it was a name of one character from a corny TV show called "Savannah"... Nick Corelli (the character who was played by a guy who is now on CSI, playing Nick - again). However, he was Nick, and not Nic, so I`m still original. :mrgreen:

Also, the Sci Fi Channel Dune miniseries SUCKED DEAD MONKEYS! I fell asleep while watching it, in the middle of the day! And I had slept 9 hours on the previous night. It was that good. The David Lynch movie totally rocks, however. NAN! :P

PointyHairedJedi
10-20-2004, 10:08 PM
David Lynch made a movie of Dune, but opinion varies on its quality. Pointy liked it. FOR SOME REASON WHICH ESCAPES ME! :shock:
Yup! And you know what? If the Jodorowsky version had ever come to be, I'd have probably loved that too! :D

Nic, you have excellent taste.

Hooray for Dune threadjacks! :twisted:

Zeke
10-20-2004, 11:44 PM
But as she's first officer of 5MVoyager, shouldn't she be called Chakotay? No wait, that's just wrong. I withdraw the question :wink:

Well, I wood call her that....

(Actually, Kira's not attached to any particular subsite. The VOY subsite would be the most appropriate, but most of the unfived episodes are mine, so she wouldn't be able to produce regularly.)

Scooter
10-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Also, the Sci Fi Channel Dune miniseries SUCKED DEAD MONKEYS! I fell asleep while watching it, in the middle of the day! And I had slept 9 hours on the previous night. It was that good. The David Lynch movie totally rocks, however. NAN! :P

The thrust of my original joke remains: After having seen both the David Lynch version and the Sci Fi Channel version .... I'm still waiting for the movie to come out.

Truth be told, I do not think Dune is filmable. It's too ... too.

Of course, that's what they said about LOTR. :)

PointyHairedJedi
10-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Truth be told, I do not think Dune is filmable. It's too ... too.
Indeed. While I love the Lynch version, it's hard not to notice that it is horribly horribly flawed. I still think it's the better version put to film though - the SFC mini-series was just simply too dull.

MaverickZer0
10-22-2004, 04:10 AM
My name has a more obscure origin than anyone here might think.

For awhile, before I played Mega Man (yes, there was a time...) I was a huge Pokemon fan. *ducks flaming garbage* Misty was the coolest character to me, since all the guys on the show were pretty wimpy.
After I discovered Mega Man (which was ironically through 5MV) I found out about Zero. (It didn't take long. Every single Mega Man site I originally found had "Zero" stamped across it in flaming red letters.)
I saw a picture and thought, 'hey, wow, the favorite character is a girl. What a messed up game.'
The obvious Barbie jokes came (and it wasn't until much, much later I found out Zero was a guy) and I discarded them. I originally held the screenname Death2Zero to get all the Zero fans (read: 99.9% of the Mega Man X community) hopping mad. However, this is when I heard about the virus.
An evil Zero that could easily kill the real one naturally appealed to me. Since 'MaverickZero' in itself was essentially a game character, I changed it to "MaverickZ3r0' in most places. Here I didn't mess with the 'e' because I figure, I've tortured Zero enough. For now.

Of course, people who think I'm a Zero fan still get themselves Proto-plasma blasted, but hey, I never said I'd lay off them. Just the blond wonder (for now. Like I said, he's an easy target.)

Rayinne
10-31-2004, 10:02 AM
This identity is a result of experimention with ways to say "Lain" that didn't trip pre-existing screen names. It took a while, but Rayinne was the result. I was surprised no one had used this one, and I've used it ever since, occasionally adding Deanova (New Goddess) or Blackrock (translation of Iwakura) for a last name whenever needed.

I also hold other names in a couple places, but those are irrelevant and will eventually be assimilated.

Alyxe
10-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Um...I used Alyxe because she's the main character in a book I'm writing...originally it was spelt the normal "Alex", but then one of my friend spelt it "Alyx", and I stuck the 'e' on the end.

Sounds quite boring, actually.... :oops:

Gatac
10-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Gatac is a really old name. Like, really, really, really old. It stems from a concept for Command & Conquer fanfiction, visualized shortly after the game came out but never written.

So, the phrase GATAC hails from '96 or so.

Then, in '98, Half-Life came out, and mods began to spring up. One of them was Wasteland Half-Life, whose forums I joined pretty much straight away. That is also where I first used "Gatac" as nickname, to the best of my memory.

Six years. Still can't believe it.

Gatac

Priest
10-31-2004, 04:13 PM
I used to be "The Annoyance". And then I was "The Sugar-high Annoyance", and some random person on a Yahoo!club ((god, that was a long time ago, wasn't it?)) called me "Sugar-chan". Which stuck for about a year, maybe two.

Then I read some crossover fanfic. I don't really remember much of it, except that there might have been Card Captor Sakura in it. Because there was Li Syaoran; in that fic he had a relative named Li Xiang. I stole that and used it as my penname. For the longest time I was Sugar-chan Li Xiang.

I have this thing for making really long, pointless names.

Well, eventually I noticed that there was a girl on YTV by the name of Sugar. She was also the voice actress for Chibimoon.

I freaked out and dropped the name faster than you can say... well, anything. A letter. Possibly Q.

So I wondered what I could use to replace Sugar-chan. Because I didn't want to be just Li Xiang; it wasn't long enough. ((Yes, that's the real reason))

Then there was... hmmm, I don't quite remember. I think it had something to do with Bob and George, but I'm not sure... anyways, I picked the name Priest out of a hat, completely at random and went "ouuuu, this'll look nice".

It's stuck ever since-- and I have something like thirty-four variations of it.

Chancellor Valium
10-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Thirty-four? Ooh! :D

Xeroc
10-31-2004, 06:42 PM

It sounds pretty cool.

Well, actually, there is a story to it, I just didn't remember until now.

Xeroc was suppossed to be the leader of an ancient species of aliens called the Xenophons (It means foreign-sounds if you're looking at the roots, and were so named because their language was unlike anything before known) who ruled 3/4 of the entire universe around 8 billion years ago. They then disappeared mysteriously into thin space, never to be seen again. Naturally, the other species still in existence, after being oppressed for so long, destroyed all records of the Xenophons, leaving them only as myth...

This story is part of some books or a series that I'm planning to write.
Eventually. :D

There you havit.

Vedra
10-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Tarn-Vedra is the name of the planet at the center of the Systems Commonwealth, the Vedran homeworld, which was cut off from the Slipstream after the Fall. (This is all from Andromeda).

I just thought it was a neat sounding name, and it reflects my Andromeda fanaticism, which, although lessening, is still very,very high.

Although, now that I think about it, I wish I had picked just plain Vedra as my name, since everyone calls me that anyway. Is there any way to change that,Zeke?

Ginga
11-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Although, now that I think about it, I wish I had picked just plain Vedra as my name, since everyone calls me that anyway. Is there any way to change that,Zeke?

Don't change it! :( Everyone calls me Ginga (or should. :P) and I usually don't change it... XD

Zeke
11-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Although, now that I think about it, I wish I had picked just plain Vedra as my name, since everyone calls me that anyway. Is there any way to change that, Zeke?

I can do that, but think it over a bit before you decide. Ginga has a point, and besides, who's going to recognize "Vedra" on its own?

Zeke
11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
This identity is a result of experimention with ways to say "Lain" that didn't trip pre-existing screen names.

Like an alternate transliteration of the Japanese word, you mean? It amazes me how many different transliterations of a single word can be correct. "Videl" and "Beederu" from DBZ are not just the same character, but the same name written differently.

Marill
11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
MarilLena is a formation of two names:

Marill: name of the cute water mouse in Pokémon, ah ha.. go on, make fun of me :lol:
Lena: the name of one of my main castmembers, I really do like that name.

In the end I do prefer just Marill though, as I've had it for over four years :)

MmeBlueberry
11-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Mme=Madame

Madame Blueberry = VeggieTales character

Me = VeggieTales fan

Thus, MmeBlueberry. Or some variation of it.

Chancellor Valium
11-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Ahhh.....whats VeggieTales?

marplanauta
11-15-2004, 05:10 PM
I´m from Mar del Plata, a city by the Atlantic here in Argentina. People from Mar del Plata are called "marplatenses". People who surf the web are called "internautas"...so I mixed both and came out with marplanauta. I use it everywhere

MmeBlueberry
11-15-2004, 09:44 PM
It's a computer-animated children's video series, with Christian themes. Here's the company's website (http://bigidea.com/videos/veggietales/default.htm).

PointyHairedJedi
11-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I´m from Mar del Plata, a city by the Atlantic here in Argentina. People from Mar del Plata are called "marplatenses". People who surf the web are called "internautas"...so I mixed both and came out with marplanauta. I use it everywhere
And there was me thinking it had something to do with Martian geological terms. But now I stand corrected.

KillerGodMan
11-17-2004, 03:27 AM

:roll:

NeoMatrix
11-17-2004, 03:42 AM
Every time I go into the Christian book store, they have a VeggieTales video playing in the back for the kids.

PointyHairedJedi
11-19-2004, 09:34 PM

:roll:
Actually, I've never heard of it either. It's obviously not a well-known thing in the UK.

Ginga
11-19-2004, 09:55 PM
My friend tells me there was a VeggieTales episode chok-full of TNG references. I've been trying to track it down. XP

Katy Jane
11-20-2004, 12:28 AM
My sister-in-law adores vegie tails (Not neccecairly because she likes watching them her self, but because the kids like watching it and it has a good influince on them.) I watched one of there movies, the one about Jonah and the whale, it was amusing.

admiral sab
11-20-2004, 03:58 AM
lol Veggie Tales brings back some fond Youth trip memories... tee hee. I always liked Larry Boy for some reason.

Oooooo where is my hairbrush? Oooooo where is my hairbrush? - lol now that's a classic. ;)

Opium
02-20-2005, 11:11 PM
What? A Misc threat I haven't posted in? :o

Well, here's my story: Mine is because I reading about opium fields in China, was eating a poppyseed muffin, and had just seen Wizard of Oz's poppy field scene on TV. And I'm a theatre freak.

Chancellor Valium
02-21-2005, 07:20 PM
^And you're a fan of Byron? :)

Nate the Great
08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, I suppose I may as well toss in my two cents.

1. My first name on this forum was Infinite Improbability. This is because Five-Minute Voyager (as it was known back then) was only my second online community. My first was h2g2 (before the BBC merger, which makes me ancient in Internet terms), so having the name Infinite Improbability made sense there.
2. However, as the years went by I was using Nate the Great for everything else online. It's a real nickname of mine, mostly from high school, but there are still a few people who use it now.
3. Meanwhile the great II fiasco happened. You can find it elsewhere on this forum. Zeke was nice enough to point out that he could change my username. So here I am.

PointyHairedJedi
08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
So old, yet so young. Also, three and a half years! I think that's about the oldest thread resurrection I can remember here (no, this isn't an invitation to reanimate an older one).

Nate the Great
08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey, thread necromancy is fun!

KillerGodMan
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Well, hmm.... I have to remember... It's been so long...

Oh yeah!

It was completly random, just like every other forum name I have, so people can't trace me...

Chancellor Valium
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Woah? KGM! Long time since you last walked these pastures...