PDA

View Full Version : NEW RULE

Zeke
12-01-2004, 02:30 AM
Hey you. You with the image in your sig. Take it out.

This one's my fault, I'm afraid. One forumgoer asked if he could have a sig image, and it looked good, so I told him he could. I did not see the slippery slope. Now everybody and his radioactive spider has a sig image, and it's getting ridiculous. So from now on, no sig images.

Don't despair! You're welcome to link to an image in your sig. And those of you who are eTrektion candidates will have your campaign images posted with your candidate profiles -- on 5MV itself -- which is even better than having them in your sigs. (Fame!) But no more actual images in sigs.

(Why am I making you remove them yourselves? Because I've checked the admin control panel and there's no option to disable sig images. I'm afraid you'll have to do the dirty work.)

ADDENDUM: Due to overwhelming demand, Seko, the cat in Fuyu Ginga's sig, has been exempted from this rule.

Xeroc
12-01-2004, 02:47 AM
Well, I'm perfectly fine with it.

The post pages were getting awfully long with the huge signatures, and it probably takes forever to load for people with slow connections, (like dial-up, I have a T2, so It really doesn't make any difference to me), and some of them were kinda making my eyes bug out, if you know what I mean.

I also don't have one. :wink:

Alexia
12-01-2004, 07:54 AM
Gone :wink: :mrgreen:

Chancellor Valium
12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I'll remove it......"soon" :twisted:
j/k.
banners included? also, could you define "link to" in your sig? I mean, by that do you mean or only ? but I reserve the right to link to my sig as an image at a later date. And yes, I know my sig is too long. I hope this isn't the beginning of a nanny state here at 5MV as I don't like the sound of "Chairman Zeke" - It just doesn---
Yoink!

Sa'ar Chasm
12-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I hope this isn't the beginning of a nanny state here at 5MV

Zeke...nanny state...Zeke...nanny state...

Don't worry. That's never going to happen.

Zeke
12-01-2004, 04:04 PM
You don't think I'm an authoritarian prick? I appreciate that. That makes one of you....

Alexia
12-01-2004, 04:38 PM
2 :wink:

Chancellor Valium
12-01-2004, 05:46 PM
I view this like the EU: No one really pays any attention to the rules anyhoo :wink: .

PointyHairedJedi
12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Well, I would have suggested limits before jumping straight to the outright ban (I thought 80x100 at less than 10k was pretty reasonable myself), but it's your site.

Chancellor Valium
12-01-2004, 08:51 PM
I once again say I will remove the images............soon.............precisely which soon is up to me and how much Zeke threatens bullies and cajoles me into removing them ( :D )

Alexia
12-01-2004, 09:26 PM
I view this like the EU: No one really pays any attention to the rules anyhoo :wink:

Well, I view this like you shouldn't piss off the guy who owns the site :wink: Plus, it makes a lot of sense. I mean, when your sig is six times longer than your post you have a bit of a problem :wink: :mrgreen:

Chancellor Valium
12-01-2004, 09:38 PM
It is NOT six times longer! More like....five point four...... :P

ijdgaf
12-01-2004, 10:40 PM
I really don't like it when every poster on a board has 15 pictures in their signatures that dwarf every post that user makes.

I agree. It's probably best not to have any at all, or at the very least have some sort of size limit.

Zeke
12-01-2004, 11:28 PM
precisely which soon is up to me and how much Zeke threatens bullies and cajoles me into removing them ( :D )

Take the images out, NOW, or I take them out for you.

Will that do?

(To answer your question, I'm talking about [url] tags, not [img] tags. Linking to the images is fine with me.)

mudshark
12-02-2004, 07:30 AM
So from now on, no sig images.

Thank you. :D

Chancellor Valium
12-02-2004, 11:31 AM
EDIT: Okedoke. But can we have some extra text features, like bounce, glow and stuff? PLZ? aww.

PointyHairedJedi
12-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Just thought I'd post what I was going to use after the eTrektion, so you can all see how immensely clever and witty I am (though naturally you already knew that ;) ).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/PointyHairedJedi/avs/5banner.png

Alexia
12-02-2004, 07:20 PM
:roll: I could blame this on something...but I think I'm just dumb :wink: I totally don't get it PHJ :wink: :mrgreen:

Sa'ar Chasm
12-02-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm smart* and I don't get it either.

* - well, OK, a smart-ass.

Chancellor Valium
12-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Indeed
Vote Morphine!
vote morphine!
vote morphine!
sorry, testing this stuff out....

Sa'ar Chasm
12-02-2004, 10:39 PM
sorry, testing this stuff out....

Could you do it somewhere else? And refrain from using it if it does work? I for one don't want to stare at a glowing bouncing "Vote Morphine!" on every post.

In addition, could you try to let at least one thread go by without making some sort of snide political comment? Nobody cares about your opinions on the EU, Blair, the price of fish or dogs and cats living together. It's really, really annoying and it's destroying the atmosphere here on the fora.

Thank you. That is all.

Chancellor Valium
12-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Sorry - but could you stop making snide smart-arse comments then? :wink:

mudshark
12-03-2004, 10:03 AM
You're not sorry, and Sa'ar is right. Every thread on this board has turned into the Chancellor (mememe lookatmeeee) Valium show, and it's bloody boring. Even your avatar is irritating.

Back off or butt out; you're fucking it up for the rest of us.

Chancellor Valium
12-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Whoa, whoa, calm down. If I'm that irritating I'll go......and are you frikkin' psychic or something? No? Then how the frik can you try and tell me what I'm thinking?

Alexia
12-03-2004, 08:45 PM
*Ding Ding Ding* Time out!

No one needs to leave! Feel the 5MV love! WHERE IS THE LOVE?! :twisted:

I think what's happing is that politics has spread over the board and taken over a bit. This makes things all a little hostile. Everyone's views are different. It's all gotten a little...serious.

Now, if there is one thing that Five Minute Voyager as a whole does not represent is seriousnessity.

I think we need to get back to the fun :mrgreen: And all stay friends :D

Chancellor Valium
12-03-2004, 08:50 PM
I think things have gone too far. Apparently, its not just the politics, it's me. So I'm leaving. You remove the problem, every1s happy. End of story.
Dagnabbit! THIS is my last post. not chinese whispers.

NAHTMMM
12-03-2004, 10:27 PM
:( Awwww...

C'mon, people just get a little grumpy at times. We don't mind you or anyone else here :)

PointyHairedJedi
12-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Oh dear.

A little more civility might have been nice, but apparently is too much effort for some.

Scooter
12-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Holy cow. I'm away from the forums for a couple weeks and everyone goes nuts. Picking on one particular forumgoer is really, really bad netiquette, guys. Am I wrong?

Just thought I'd post what I was going to use after the eTrektion, so you can all see how immensely clever and witty I am (though naturally you already knew that ;) ).

Choo choo train?

Xeroc
12-04-2004, 12:14 AM
I think things have gone too far. Apparently, its not just the politics, it's me. So I'm leaving. You remove the problem, every1s happy. End of story.
Man, Valium! Don't give up that easily! Everyone is appreciated, and while no one is perfect, we didn't want you to leave!

Ginga
12-04-2004, 12:35 AM
*lip quivers*

*makes a pitiful face*

...I have to take The SigKitty out...?

But it's so small... he's not hurting anybody... except maybe people who piss him off. :twisted:

Alright... if I must take him out, I will...

Boo...

Okay, done. But don't come crying to me if SigKitty suddenly mauls Zeke. Not my fault. :wink:

KillerGodMan
12-04-2004, 04:07 AM

Well, damn, well, I might seem like I want to be in control, but I think provoking people, talking politics, making fun of people, should be stopped, and I'm not saying this because Valium is/was a part of the Morphine Party, I'm saying it because nobody needs to get feelings hurt on a forum.

This forum is supposed to be fun, (and insane from time to time). Not political, not to be mean to others. So, how about this Zeke? If someone talks politics or is mean to another (and for good measure, talks religion) you do whatever seems fit (from poking him/her/it with a stick, to banning him/her/it)

Okay, MAYBE I'm over reacting a little, but dammit, nobody wants or needs to get flamed. We want and need to be nice.

Becides, nobody LIKES to talk politics or religion anyways.

--KGM

Opium
12-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry for not taking it out sooner, college finals and all, I hadn't really checked much around here in the last week. Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry!

Oh! And here's the link to my banner, so it can go up somewhere, someplace, sometime, somehow...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/PoppySeedStuff/banner2.jpg

Ginga
12-04-2004, 06:31 AM
Now, since we've been nice and taken out our sig images, I think our reward should be member titles... :wink:

Gatac
12-04-2004, 06:38 AM
Wah...buh...

Note to self: Fix watercooling system much faster next time.

Gatac

Opium
12-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Now, since we've been nice and taken out our sig images, I think our reward should be member titles... :wink:

Agreed! :D

KillerGodMan
12-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Agreed! :D

I second that

Alexia
12-04-2004, 01:38 PM
It's probably not number 1 on Zeke's ginumberous list of things to do though :wink: :mrgreen:

I'm getting a bit worried about him actually...I hope he's not, like, dead or something :wink:

MaverickZer0
12-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Yeah, and he hasn't updated since the 23rd...

Either I feel a disturbance in the force, or someone brought a polar bear to Waterloo. Which would account for the first item.

Katy Jane
12-04-2004, 09:08 PM
I would like to see limits too, as appose to an all out ban. Its not that i would put a image in my sig, but *sniff* I miss siggy kitty ;)

Scooter
12-04-2004, 10:16 PM
It's probably not number 1 on Zeke's ginumberous list of things to do though :wink: :mrgreen:

I'm getting a bit worried about him actually...I hope he's not, like, dead or something :wink:

Well, I'm willing to bet he has stuff ... finals ... you know, real life ...

I can't even keep my lj (http://scootermark.livejournal.com) up to date, so I certainly understand other things going on in one's life.

PointyHairedJedi
12-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Ah, I forgot to explain. It's a nerdy Dune joke specific to the Lynch film. In the film, the symbol of the Spacing Guild was three white circles bisected by a line (you can see an example here (http://www.duneinfo.com/index.asp)), and of course the Guild's motto is "The Spice Must Flow".

Did I mention the part where I'm a nerd yet?

Scooter
12-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Ah, I forgot to explain. It's a nerdy Dune joke specific to the Lynch film. In the film, the symbol of the Spacing Guild was three white circles bisected by a line (you can see an example here (http://www.duneinfo.com/index.asp)), and of course the Guild's motto is "The Spice Must Flow".

Wow. I think it's time for an intervention... :)

Seriously, a very impressive display of SF erudition. Just out of curiosity, did you think anyone would get it?

PointyHairedJedi
12-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Well, there's an outside chance that Nan might have gotten it, but otherwise, not really. :D

Gatac
12-05-2004, 05:47 PM
On the off-chance of being booed off stage, I would like to state for the record that Dune was the first thing I thought of when I saw The Fivers must flow. Then I got a Patrick STeward flashback and my brain switched to priority override. The day later, I found myself with a crude smiley painted upon my chest.

But I recognised it.

Gatac

Nan
12-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Spice is the only other thing that I've heard "must flow."

Dune is just SO GREAT. If you haven't read it, do so before I send the Fedaykin after you. :D

Ginga
12-06-2004, 01:53 AM
I would like to see limits too, as appose to an all out ban. Its not that i would put a image in my sig, but *sniff* I miss siggy kitty ;)

And he misses you, too. :(

KillerGodMan
12-06-2004, 02:22 AM
Spice is the only other thing that I've heard "must flow."

Dune is just SO GREAT. If you haven't read it, do so before I send the Fedaykin after you. :D

I read it, it took me a year, but I read it...

Celeste
12-06-2004, 06:04 PM

PHJ... you're here.. on a forum.. to talk about a parady, of a science fiction tv show. We've already figured out that you're a nerd. :P

Kira
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Ha! Burn!

Hey, wait a minute....

Nan
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Heheheheh.

PointyHairedJedi
12-06-2004, 10:32 PM
I didn't like to say anything, Kira, but you strike me as the type who would quite happily shoot the messenger. :wink:

Sa'ar Chasm
12-06-2004, 11:21 PM
As well as the undertaker when he comes to collect the messenger's body.

Kira
12-06-2004, 11:30 PM
I'd like to know what I did to deserve such an unsavory reputation.

::: kicks the bodies further under the rug :::

Hotaru
12-07-2004, 03:32 AM
::looks at the body shaped lumps under the rug::

I think you're a lovely human being.

Edit: I just looked at your profile, and you love "Lost"!? Now I actually believe what I wrote! Have you read 17's reviews on her LJ?

Kira
12-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Edit: I just looked at your profile, and you love "Lost"!?
Currently the best drama on television, no contest. The last five minutes of last week's episode... wow. One of the best thrills I've gotten from t.v. in a long time.

Now I actually believe what I wrote!
:::pokes rug with boot::: Hm, there appears to be some room under here yet....

Have you read 17's reviews on her LJ?
Nope, but I shall have to do so. So far I've only read Dan Kwa's reviews on Television Without Pity, and I scout the forum there every so often but I'm very, very wary of spoilers for this show. It's rare to find a series that's this much of an exhilarating roller coaster, and I intend to ride it blind. :)

PointyHairedJedi
12-07-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm actually downloading the pilot of that to see if it's as great as everyone seems to think, though how it could possibly be better than BSG03 I don't know. ;)

Katy Jane
12-09-2004, 05:03 AM

PHJ... you're here.. on a forum.. to talk about a parady, of a science fiction tv show. We've already figured out that you're a nerd. :P

I love it! :lol: :mrgreen:

Alexia
12-09-2004, 08:16 AM
I'm actually downloading the pilot of that to see if it's as great as everyone seems to think, though how it could possibly be better than BSG03 I don't know. ;)

I'm gonna get hit for this but what's BSG03? I'm downloading the pilot too (at an excruciatingly slow speed) from eMule. Are there any better programs I could use?

mudshark
12-09-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm gonna get hit for this but what's BSG03? The new Battlestar Galactica.

PointyHairedJedi
12-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Are there any better programs I could use?
BitTorrent is the bee's knees, though there are a couple of different clients as I understand it. I just use the basic one though - I tired one called Azureus that Arsozah pointed me at, but I couldn't get it to work properly, though I think that's because my computer it throwing wobblies at the moment (I suspect the hard drive to be on its last legs). Anyway, Suprnova.org is pretty much the most comprehensive Torrent site around, though there are others.

Hotaru
12-10-2004, 03:37 AM
I have Azureus, in fact I'm downloading with it right now! It's a good program.

So... we seem to want Ginga's sig kitty back. How about we propose a size limit on the sig banner? Like... uhm... however big her kitty is!

Xeroc
12-10-2004, 04:12 AM
So... we seem to want Ginga's sig kitty back. How about we propose a size limit on the sig banner? Like... uhm... however big her kitty is!
I could go for maybe 1 or 2 small ones allowed, just no big eye-scrambling banners!

Ginga
12-10-2004, 04:53 AM
SigKitty is exactly 50x50. Ooh, meaning he can haunt my AIM buddy icon. :twisted:

Opium
12-11-2004, 09:58 AM
I could go for maybe 1 or 2 small ones allowed, just no big eye-scrambling banners!

Eye scambling like this:

:P

Xeroc
12-12-2004, 02:53 AM

Eye scambling like this:

Yeah, that pretty much says it all.

:P

Opium
12-12-2004, 07:48 AM
I made it to be eye-scrambling and catching; I didn't intend to keep it that long, I hoped that it would encourage the elections to happen earlier than "soon" so that it would be changed.

I didn't think SigKitty would have to suffer. :(

Zeke
12-12-2004, 08:26 AM
(sigh)

Okay. The SigKitty can stay. But JUST the SigKitty. Nobody else gets a sig image. I'm making this one concession due to overwhelming demand -- but the line must be drawn HE-YAH.

Ginga
12-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Heehee! A winner is Seko!

:lol:

Chancellor Valium
12-12-2004, 02:08 PM
-- but the line must be drawn HE-YAH.

^ Agreed!
And now, back to my encaved monastery......

catalina_marina
12-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, there's an outside chance that Nan might have gotten it, but otherwise, not really. :D
Really? You didn't think I'd get the Dune joke? :shock:

I'm disappointed, Jedi. :wink:

You're too late. PHJ already did that. And yes, I've read it. :roll:

PointyHairedJedi
12-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Really? You didn't think I'd get the Dune joke? :shock:

I'm disappointed, Jedi. :wink:
Well, considering that it relates almost directly to the Lynch film rather than the book... :P

catalina_marina
01-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the recognition. :P

Okay, so I've been gone. Is going off topic still allowed? :wink:

Alexia
01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Yay cat is alive! :mrgreen:

Zeke
01-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Okay, so I've been gone. Is going off topic still allowed? :wink:

Going off topic is actually enforced. Any time a topic goes nine or ten posts without a change of subject, I have to step in and talk about pie.

Welcome back!

PointyHairedJedi
01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Oh, well, if it's actually policy to go completely OT....

Here's a little something I made for a TrekBBS thread (along with a bunch of other 'shopped poster), but this one bears reposting here as well. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/PointyHairedJedi/TBBS_zeke.jpg

mudshark
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Heh. I like it. :D

Chancellor Valium
01-24-2005, 07:24 PM
ROFL :lol: :D

Flixibixi
01-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Going off topic is actually enforced. Any time a topic goes nine or ten posts without a change of subject, I have to step in and talk about pie.

But...what if the topic *is* pie? What then?

What then?

Nan
01-25-2005, 09:07 AM
"Pi."

Chancellor Valium
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
What flavour pi? :D

MaverickZer0
01-25-2005, 11:26 PM
No no no. If the topic is already pie we must talk about phi.
Or gamma.
Or Emerl.
(Whoops, random barrage of Sonic jokes there.)

Chancellor Valium
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM
^Sigh. That I am reduced to this. (:P)
It's not any bleedin' flavour, it's a bleedin' number, innit?!

Pteryx
01-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Let it simply be said that a willingness to make an exception, however reluctantly, is one mark of a good man. -- Pteryx

MaverickZer0
01-27-2005, 04:33 AM
^Sigh. That I am reduced to this. (:P)
It's not any bleedin' flavour, it's a bleedin' number, innit?!

Isn't phi a number?

1.618 or something? Another of those pesky constants?

Ginga
01-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Let it simply be said that a willingness to make an exception, however reluctantly, is one mark of a good man. -- Pteryx

Amen. And especially when this exception benefits, say, me. :o :wink:

*Seko meows impatiently, and looks up at me with folded paws and a pouty face*

Oh, and of course, you, too, Seko. *pat pat*

*Seko purrs*

Derek
01-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Isn't phi a number?
Phi is the empty set. {}

Zeke
01-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes, but that's a stylized phi (a big O with a diagonal slash), like the "is a member of" symbol is a stylized epsilon. The standard, Greek-style phi is often used for the golden ratio, 1.618... The letter tau is increasingly used in its place, though. Phi is also a very common name for certain kinds of functions, especially homomorphisms. Finally, the capital phi (a circle with a vertical line down the middle) is used for an important function in number theory involving the primes.

Flixibixi
01-27-2005, 01:38 PM
:?

Yes.

Sa'ar Chasm
01-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Phi also represents quantum yield, which is essentially the percentage of molecules that get promoted to the excited state when irradiated.

It also describes an angle between crystal faces in crystallography.

Science geeks, unite.

Gatac
01-27-2005, 06:20 PM
As I recall, big Phi is also used in electrical engineering...magnetic flow, I think.

Gatac

Draknek
01-27-2005, 10:01 PM
It's also the work function in the photoeletric equation.

Chancellor Valium
01-28-2005, 04:53 PM
It is also the "ph" or "f" sound in both classival and (I think) demotic greek :P :P :P

PointyHairedJedi
02-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Well, I was going to say that it's all Greek to me....

Chancellor Valium
02-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Oh dear. Pointy, your a pharos of bad pun-making :wink:

Opium
02-06-2005, 09:57 AM
NO! Not...punning!

*runs away. far away. to the land of chocolate. mmmm....chocolate*

KillerGodMan
02-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Phi is also a letter in the greek Alphabet, so is Pi, Epsilon, Gamma, Alpha....

Should I stop now?

Chancellor Valium
02-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes. The joke's been done. Twice.
"By a dog?"

Zeke
02-10-2005, 06:43 AM
In other news, you guys are never allowed to complain about my rules again. I just discovered that the Metroid forum I go to auto-converts the word "gay" to "friendly."

Chancellor Valium
02-10-2005, 11:00 AM
LOL!

Sa'ar Chasm
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
If the forum is populated by who I think it's populated by (grammar surrenders!), I'm guessing that every third word is "friendly".

Zeke
02-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Congratulations! You officially could not be more wrong about the forum in question. Why would I hang out at a place like that?

Chancellor Valium
02-10-2005, 06:23 PM
^Grammar goes and dies quietly in a corner :P :P :P

PointyHairedJedi
02-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Or maybe I killed it... who knows?

Celeste
02-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Or maybe I killed it... who knows?

You're unusualy evil lately, PHJ. Everything okay?

Chancellor Valium
02-11-2005, 06:31 PM
^He must be out of work, to have enough time to kill Grammar. As you may have worked out, I have just resurrected it, and EEEEET'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!
(five exclamations to demonstrate melodrama :P :P)

PointyHairedJedi
02-11-2005, 07:38 PM
You're unusualy evil lately, PHJ. Everything okay?
Just the same old problems in interesting new varieties, the usual in other words.

Valium, now might be a good time for you to run very far away very quickly indeed. In won't stop Zeke catching you, of course, but it makes it all the more entertaining for the rest of us. :D