PDA

View Full Version : This Just In Special Report - Breaking News!

PointyHairedJedi
03-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Five-Minute Voyager Launches 2012 Olympic Bid

March 15, 2005

[PRESS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT BEGIINS]

JEICE O. GARRIKER: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, and once again thanks for coming at such short notice.
THIS REPORTER: Uh, sure. Um… are there actually supposed to be other reporters here, can I ask?
GARRIKER: Please, no questions until afterwards. And now, I would like to welcome in the Five-Minute Voyager staff, who are here today, on this momentous occasion, this, may I say, very fine, indeed exceptionally nice day, which portends so fortuitously this wonderful announcement, this glowing, shining vision of a glorious future for that paragon of excellence and…
[ZEKE at this point enters, followed by KIRA, MARC, IJG GAF, and DEREK DEAN]
ZEKE: I think we get it, Jeice.
THIS REPORTER: Would you like me to clap or something?
KIRA: Where are all the rest of the press? You said there would be press, Zeke! Reporters and photographers and cameramen, all here to take my pict… uh, pass on the news!
ZEKE: There was sort of a mix-up.
IJD GAF: Sort of? What does sort of mean?
ZEKE: Well, it’s actually a pretty funny story. You see, I was going to announce the press conference, but I got into this argument with this guy at the bus station about Star Trek: Enterprise, and between that and reading Penny Arcade I just plain ran out of time.
KIRA: You had five days!
ZEKE: It was a long argument.
KIRA [pointing at THIS REPORTER]: Then what is he doing here then?
THIS REPORTER: I believe I can answer that one. I got a tip-off from an anonymous source that I should be here at this time if I wanted to see something really really funny.
ZEKE: That’s the last time I ever tell PointyHairedJedi my plans in advance.
DEREK DEAN: Anyway, we do have a reporter, even if it’s just the one, so why not make the announcement anyway?
KIRA: We’d better. I didn’t come all this way for nothing.
IJD GAF: As it happens I’m not actually here anyway. This is just a holographic representation of me. Did you actually think I’d leave Florida to come to Canada? They have snow there! And ice!
MARC: It did seem a little suspicious. It’s a pity though, I bought a nice cedar bird table for you as a gift.
ZEKE: Ahem, if we could possibly get back on track…
GARRIKER: If I could just briefly interrupt you there, Zeke, I need to ask – are you going to need me for the rest of the conference? It’s just I have to be in Alberta for a case tomorrow – a guy with MPD is suing himself for slander. As it happens I’m representing both the prosecution and the defence, and I get to charge hourly for both! Isn’t it great being a lawyer?
ZEKE: If I ever lose my soul I’ll let you know. No, we don’t need you for the rest of the conference Jeice…
KIRA: Hah! If you could call it that.
ZEKE [Glaring at KIRA]: …So you can go.
[GARRIKER leaves]
ZEKE: Right! If we could possibly get back to this announcement now, I would be very grateful indeed.
THIS REPORTER: I’m ready when you are.
ZEKE: Very well, I will now read a prepared statement, and then I’ll take any questions you might have. [Clears throat] We, the management and staff of the parody site Five-Minute Voyager are pleased to announce that we are formally submitting a bid to the International Olympic Committee to host the two-thousand and twelve Olympic Games. It is the considered opinion of us all that we would make an excellent choice to host the games, while at the same time showing the world that 5MV is a strong candidate for any and all such events. The prestige of the Olympics is of course considerable, and I believe that if we were to secure this bid it would lay a strong framework for the future of 5MV, providing a basis for truly proving on the international stage that 5MV is….
[ZEKE at this point flips ahead several pages]
ZEKE: …Blah, blah, blah, it goes on like this for twelve more pages. Who wrote this nonsense anyway?
MARC: I think it was Jiece. He did seem to be rather over-enthused about the idea when I spoke to him earlier.
KIRA: I expect that it was the thought of earning two hourly fees for a case he can drag on as long as he wants to that was behind it.
ZEKE: You know, maybe that lawyer gig isn’t such a bad idea…
[Everyone present starts laughing]
ZEKE: I really crack me up sometimes. Anyway, I think we got the gist of it. Any questions?
THIS REPORTER: Uh, yes, I think I have just a few. Given that Five-Minute Voyager is actually a website, how exactly do you intend to provide the facilities that the Olympics would require?
ZEKE: Well, at the moment we don’t yet as such have any facilities, but we intend to build all the necessary stadia, pools, and accommodation in Marc’s back garden.
MARC: Hey, wait a minute, this is the first I’ve heard about this!
ZEKE: We took a vote, Marc, it was all decided fairly and squarely.
MARC: Vote? What vote?
ZEKE: It’s possible I suppose that we neglected to tell you about it…
MARC: I’m sorry, Zeke, but you’re not building a complete set of Olympic Facilities in my back garden! Besides anything else, there’s no room, not unless you built over the airfield and knocked down the rocket gantries, and that’s just not going to happen!
ZEKE: …Ah. It seems then that we are still in the planning stages over facilities then. Next question?
THIS REPORTER: How exactly do you intend to finance all this? Do you have the backing of any government in this bid?
ZEKE: Well, no. But money isn’t a problem. I still have a few billion from the Microsoft buyout, which should be plenty, but if we do have to raise any more then we’ll do the usual sorts of things.
THIS REPORTER: Usual sorts of things? Could you give examples?
ZEKE: You know, robbing Fort Knox, massive embezzlement and fraud, kidnapping rich people, selling the organs of our board members, that sort of thing.
THIS REPORTER: …I see. If I might ask, why exactly is if you are doing this? What could have possibly, uh, inspired you to make this bid?
ZEKE: Well, I can’t speak for the rest of the staff, but for myself, well, I see it as a way of firmly securing the future of 5MV. Plus of course it’s something to do after the university maths club expelled me for being too nerdy.
THIS REPORTER: What about the rest of you?
KIRA: Given that if we succeed we’ll also be running the whole show, it will of course give my megalomania an unparalleled opportunity to flourish. I even bought a new set of branding irons to celebrate the occasion.
THIS REPORTER: Oooh, kinky.
KIRA: Watch it.
THIS REPORTER: Sorry. So, Marc, what about you?
MARC: I figured I needed a new hobby anyway, and this seemed like a good opportunity. I tried growing bonsai cedar trees for a while, but they all mysteriously vanished one night. I don’t know if you remember IJD, it was right after I told you about them.
IJD GAF: Uh, yes, odd coincidence that. Especially as they are so very nice… I mean, were nice. Not that I actually know that of course, how could I, having not actually seen them myself, so I’m just guessing of course. Yes.
MARC: Say, IJD, I don’t suppose…
IJD GAF: So! I expect you’ll want to know why I pitched in, yes?
THIS REPORTER: Actually, I think Marc was going to ask you something just then. I don’t want to interrupt or anything.
MARC: IJD, I want to ask you a question, and I want a straight answ--
IJD GAF: Yes, I think that’s a lovely tie, now moving on, well, it’s complicated really. Though mainly I said I’d help out to get Kira to stop hitting my arm.
MARC: Look, IJD, stop trying to evade my question! Did you have anything to do with--
IJD GAF: Would you just look at the time! I really must dash I’m afraid, I need to water… ahh, walk… the dog. Yes. Goodbye!
[IJD GAF’s hologram fades out]
THIS REPORTER: Ahm, okay. I think that just leaves you, Derek.
DEREK: I was promised pie.
THIS REPORTER: Fair enough, I guess. Any particular kind?
DEREK: Depends what sort of mood I’m in.
THIS REPORTER: You know, I don’t think I have any more questions.
ZEKE: Right then. Thanks for coming by the way, and if you see the Jedi any time soon give him a good thwap from me, eh?
THIS REPORTER: Sure, I guess.
ZEKE: Super! Come on then everyone, back to the Batcave!
KIRA: You mean your dorm room.
ZEKE: Quiet, you.
[They exit]

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS]

Chancellor Valium
03-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Hmmm......I thought that 5MV Inc was now located in Venice......Still doesn't help the space problem though......... :wink:

PointyHairedJedi
03-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Oh no, it wasn't reported, but 5MV Inc. and Five-Minute Voyager are no longer affiliated, kind of like the Rolls-Royce marque and Rolls-Royce Plc who make aircraft bits.

evay
03-15-2005, 09:21 PM
I think this is an outstanding idea. Anything which keeps the Olympics out of Manhattan gets my vote.

mudshark
03-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Great! Except:
IJD GAF: As it happens I’m not actually here anyway. This is just a holographic representation of me. Did you actually think I’d leave California to come to Canada? They have snow there! And ice! Oopsie! :P

PointyHairedJedi
03-15-2005, 11:26 PM
California, Florida, it's all the same to me. :P

MaverickZer0
03-16-2005, 01:09 AM
I think this is an outstanding idea. Anything which keeps the Olympics out of Manhattan gets my vote.

There's a possibilty the 2012 will be in New York?

*blink*

Oh well. It's not like I'll actually notice or anything. By the time it's done with here I'll be so jaded I won't watch a non-Marlins baseball game for a year.

...Wait. Okay, never mind.

evay
03-16-2005, 03:55 AM
There's a possibilty the 2012 will be in New York?
OMFG are you kidding? Mayor Cheesedick Billionaire is all but performing intimate acts on the IOC to get them to commit to bringing the Olympics here. Of course, it would require building a FOOTBALL STADIUM on the West Side, which would create traffic nightmares AND transit hell for years while it was being built (it would sit on top of where the Long Island and New Jersey trains exit) plus traffic nightmares every single time there was a game or event in the future. The city would be beyond choked with visitors and tourists, to the point where locals and workers literally wouldn't be able to get anywhere. The security would make the Elephant Convention look like a kindergarten class. And oh, that big fat target which has been over our heads for three or four years? Make it four times the size. I would perform the intimate act on Cheesedick myself if it would keep the damn Olympics on the other side of the pond.

Hotaru
03-16-2005, 04:47 AM
OMFG are you kidding? Mayor Cheesedick Billionaire is all but performing intimate acts on the IOC to get them to commit to bringing the Olympics here

Ew...

I would gladly like vote to bring the olympics to 5MV if I was on the olympic place picking committee thingy I think that it would be great for olympic people to stay in the athletes "Village" of Marcs broom closet myself.

It’s just I have to be in Alberta for a case tomorrow – a guy with MPD is suing himself for slander.

And I know of only one forum member who lives in Alberta. :?

PointyHairedJedi
03-16-2005, 12:35 PM
It was either Alberta, Ottowa or Kalamazoo - my knowlege of Canadian geography is somewhat, ah, limited. ;)

Hotaru
03-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I can see that now, you spelt Ottawa wrong :P

Anonymous
03-16-2005, 06:29 PM
California, Florida, it's all the same to me. :PMeh. Rather have Ah-nold than Jeb (Election fraud? What election fraud?) Bush.

Sa'ar Chasm
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
And Kalamazoo is in Michigan. You're thinking of Kamloops.

Amusing placenames include Medicine Hat, Moose Jaw (New Moose Jaw is like Old Moose Jaw, but fleshier), Moose Factory (bit of a theme) and Saskamatoon.

richardson
03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
No! Keep those games away from me! *Hisses and boos!* Keep them out of florida! California, take 'em, TAKE 'EM! *Shoves the olympics onto Arnold.*

MaverickZer0
03-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah....come to think of it, if there were no roadworks, I would get to school on time...

Waitaminute...since when do I WANT to get to school on time?

Chancellor Valium
03-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Amusing placenames include Medicine Hat, Moose Jaw (New Moose Jaw is like Old Moose Jaw, but fleshier), Moose Factory (bit of a theme) and Saskamatoon.
Not forgetting Conquerall Mills, Newfie (i think) where some guy stuffs squirrels. No jokes. His wife and daughter make clothes for them.

mudshark
03-17-2005, 10:36 PM

Amusing placenames include Medicine Hat, Moose Jaw (New Moose Jaw is like Old Moose Jaw, but fleshier), Moose Factory (bit of a theme) and Saskamatoon.Possibly best of all is Humptulips, Washington, USA.

(Thank you, Tom Robbins.)

Hotaru
03-17-2005, 11:41 PM

Amusing placenames include Medicine Hat, Moose Jaw (New Moose Jaw is like Old Moose Jaw, but fleshier), Moose Factory (bit of a theme) and Saskamatoon.Possibly best of all is Humptulips, Washington, USA.

o.O

If you lived there, would you be a Humper?

Katy Jane
03-18-2005, 06:48 AM
GARRIKER: If I could just briefly interrupt you there, Zeke, I need to ask – are you going to need me for the rest of the conference? It’s just I have to be in Alberta for a case tomorrow – a guy with MPD is suing himself

Funny thing is, this actualy happend, funnier thing is his name was Joan Luc Plucard... :lol:

Great stuff :D

mudshark
03-18-2005, 06:19 PM

o.O

If you lived there, would you be a Humper?I honestly don't know the answer to that.

NAHTMMM
03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
ZEKE: Well, it’s actually a pretty funny story. You see, I was going to announce the press conference, but I got into this argument with this guy at the bus station about Star Trek: Enterprise, and between that and reading Penny Arcade I just plain ran out of time.
KIRA: You had five days!
ZEKE: It was a long argument.
ROFL! Very funny stuff, PHJ!

Xeroc
03-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Great stuff, PHJ! :D

PointyHairedJedi
03-22-2005, 07:49 PM
You like me! You really like me!

Well, apart from Zeke, of course. ;)

And about Kalamazoo - America, Canada, it's all the same to me. :P

Nan
03-22-2005, 08:34 PM
*beans Pointy with a flagpole*

Sa'ar, this would be your cue to make a comment about Pommies. ;)

PointyHairedJedi
03-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey, you leave an opening like that for me how can you expect me not to take it? I'm only human*!

* I have a certificate to prove it too.

Zeke
03-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Allow me to belatedly say this was hilarious. Good stuff, Jedi.

PointyHairedJedi
03-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Hey, anything to amuse (and to procrastinate when I should be fiving).