PDA

View Full Version : New Shows

Anonymous
04-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey, is anybody planning to five Battlestar Galactic and Stargate Atlantis? If not somebody needs to.

Zeke
04-18-2005, 11:19 PM
A very good question, JD. New shows to cover are definitely on our minds here at 5MV -- with Enterprise gone, we need to branch out and attract a broader audience. (No, I'm not saying we need more broads. How did that come to mean "women," anyway? Slang is a peculiar thing.)

BSG is currently under consideration. With at least three of the five staff members interested in giving it a go, it's a safe bet there will be some kind of BSG coverage at this site in time for Season 2. As for Stargate: Atlantis, while Nan is our Stargate go-to gal, she's not interested in the spinoff IIRC; that leaves it open for someone else to take a whack at it. We'll see if anyone does.

This thread is actually the perfect place for a little informal survey I've been planning to take. Of the series that will be running in the 2005-06 season, which ones are you guys most interested in seeing us cover at 5MV? (Naturally, you can name a series someone else has already mentioned, and it doesn't matter whether 5MV has done anything with it before. Non-sci-fi shows are valid candidates.)

Anonymous
04-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Cool! Thanks, Zeke for answering my question.

Marill
04-19-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't know what's showing in the 05-06 season so can't help you there. These shows might be good to five though :P :
Futurama
Reboot
Tru Calling
Red Dwarf lol

oh and somebody should write some more Angel/Buffy fivers :wink:

Kira
04-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Futurama? But it's like a fiver of everything by itself....

Sa'ar Chasm
04-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Agreed. It's very hard to top "She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro."

Anonymous
04-19-2005, 02:31 AM

LOST

Uh, thats it.

But, yeah.

24!

LOST!

Hotaru
04-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Lost, I would love to see Lost. I'd five it myself if that's what it takes to bring it here.

That's all I can think of right now.

Kira
04-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Hm. Lost... yeah, I could mock that.

Opium
04-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Another UPN show... "America's Next Top Model"
It'll get the women's demoghraphic AND funny to all! Except...of course...ANTM is really funny already.

I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily. Same goes for L&O

But there are lots of movies that could be fived-even just in the last few months, Phantom of the Opera, The Aviator, Harry Potter...

I don't watch too many TV shows regulary, but...

ER
Boston Legal

Kira
04-19-2005, 06:24 AM
It'll get the women's demoghraphic AND funny to all! Except...of course...ANTM is really funny already.
Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy. Besides, if I'm doing anything on UPN, it's going to be the amazingly kick-ass Veronica Mars, but topping that show's snark would be rough. ("Annoy, tiny blonde one. Annoy like the wind!")

I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily.
It can't -- believe me, I've tried. It's just too fact-based and packed to leave any room for mocking. The best fiver material comes from characters that you can caricature. (See: Kirk, Janeway, Troi, Phlox, Reed, Mayweather.) CSI just doesn't have enough character meat for regular fiving.

Nan
04-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Farscape! :D

Marill
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Futurama? But it's like a fiver of everything by itself....
Point taken and I had a feeling that would be the response for that or Red Dwarf (I should know, parodying a parody isn't easy ahem), but what about the others :wink:

Anonymous
04-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Farscape! :DWhatever happened to Merlin Missy, btw?

mudshark
04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
:|

Don't know what happened there. ^

Zeke
04-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Farscape! :DWhatever happened to Merlin Missy, btw?

She died. But we will never forget what she taught us: don't skip rope in the middle of a PK/Scarran firefight.

Actually, she's not only alive, she's on LiveJournal (http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=mtgat). We're still in touch, and every now and then I invite her to participate in some 5MV event or other. She hasn't been on a Farscape kick in a while -- JLU is her current squeeze -- but you never know.

(Speaking of never knowing... you like Farscape, Nan? I probably did know that, but forgot along the line. I'm glad to be reminded of it, particularly today.)

Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy.

There's also the fact that to do a real fiver of that show, you would have to watch it. I wouldn't last three minutes; I don't know how the TWoP people survive episode after episode and even write about them at length. I suppose the Five-Minute Survivor (../features/cheese/sv.html) approach could work if someone felt like doing one, though.

Alexia
04-19-2005, 07:03 PM
ATLANTIS YAY! :mrgreen:

And secon--er, thirds LOST.

PointyHairedJedi
04-19-2005, 09:00 PM
24!
Waaay ahead of you there, buddy. Also, waaay behind. Waaaay, waaaaaaay behind.

BSG I think is a must - I, incidently, got the DVD of the mini at the end of last week, and now I'm having to sit on my hands because otherwise I'm going to be £45 poorer. I also hope to write some B5ers at some point - it seems somehow a waste buying the whole series on DVD (at £30 apeice, how could I not?) and not getting a few fivers out of it.

NeoMatrix
04-20-2005, 05:07 AM
I would love to take a stab at fiving 24!

Anonymous
04-20-2005, 06:11 AM
24!
Waaay ahead of you there, buddy. Also, waaay behind. Waaaay, waaaaaaay behind.

Who, what, where, when, why, and sometimes, how?

PointyHairedJedi
04-20-2005, 09:08 AM
I took a stab at fiving series one some time back, got three episodes in, and promptly floundered. But it's still definitely on my to-do list, so never say never. Or "soon" either, for that matter.

catalina_marina
04-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I like the idea of Lost fivers, as well as Tru Calling and Farscape. And do you think Medium would work?

Chancellor Valium
04-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Hmmm......5MLost.....
"This section disappeared from Zeke's pocket....It will be uploaded soon."

Perhaps 24 fivers could be 24 lines long? Or all in multiples of 24 or something?

Ginga
04-21-2005, 01:49 AM
I was thinking CSI, but I mean, it already has a really dark, cool humour, and I don't think it could be fived easily.
It can't -- believe me, I've tried. It's just too fact-based and packed to leave any room for mocking. The best fiver material comes from characters that you can caricature. (See: Kirk, Janeway, Troi, Phlox, Reed, Mayweather.) CSI just doesn't have enough character meat for regular fiving.

I also tried. Well, mentally tried, anyway, after Zeke said, "Noes, we've tried, it can't be done!"

I refused to accept it and as a result, got my ass handed to me when I discovered that it's just... not fiveable. D:

Zeke
04-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, mentally tried, anyway, after Zeke said, "Noes, we've tried, it can't be done!"

More accurately, what I said was that Kira had tried. Someone else might be able to do it. These things are influenced by personality and attitude and dairy products and such.

And if I ever say "Noes," you can safely kill me, because it means I've been replaced by a Cylon.

PointyHairedJedi
04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
^ Actually, you'd probably start saying things like "Pie is Love" long before you got to that point.

evay
04-22-2005, 02:30 AM
If Pie is Love, then by inversion
Love is Pie, and sex diversion.

(with apologies to Dorothy Parker)

MaverickZer0
04-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Dude. A reality show. About models. That's just too easy. Besides, if I'm doing anything on UPN, it's going to be the amazingly kick-ass Veronica Mars, but topping that show's snark would be rough. ("Annoy, tiny blonde one. Annoy like the wind!")

One thing to say about that:

:D :D

It's funny, too, because that's what I said in the chat. If I were a girl I'd want to be like Veronica Mars.

Um...I didn't say that earlier. The other thing. About wanting to see that show fived. That. Yeah.

Zeke
04-23-2005, 02:42 PM
If Pie is Love, then by inversion
Love is Pie, and sex diversion.

(with apologies to Dorothy Parker)

You know, that sounds familiar, but I can't find the original on Google. How does it go?

evay
04-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Sorry, I got the author wrong -- Parker is always good for a witty quote, but this wasn't hers.

J. V. Cunningham (1911-85)

Epigram #29: History of ideas
If God is Love, then by inversion
Love is God, and sex conversion.

danieldoof
04-24-2005, 05:06 PM
has anyone tried jag?

here the 9th season is ending today and we do not know when the 10th is going to be aired...

Nan
04-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Bah. The ending of JAG is "The jury finds Rabb victorious."

I stopped watching that show back in season 5.

ijdgaf
04-24-2005, 11:07 PM
More movie fivers!

Especially Alien^3 and Alien: Resurrection! :x :x :x

:wink:

Nan
04-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Gah.

I haven't seen a really good new sf movie since Minority Report. Which has been fived already.

And is perfect. PERFECT, DAMN YOU.

Zeke
04-25-2005, 12:34 AM
I recommend Payback and The Butterfly Effect... unless you have seen those and weren't counting them under good recent sf films.

danieldoof
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
maybe the new star wars movies or what about some older scifi....there is plenty of it around

(edith says: 12 monkeys not old but nice or gattaca,
cube could be a five-seconder :wink:
another one: dark city ) okay edited enough in this post

Zeke
04-25-2005, 11:06 AM
maybe the new star wars movies

Allow me to save Kira a little time: "Hey, she said good new sf movies."

All kidding aside, folks, IJD didn't just bring up movies as a way of poking fun at himself. One of the ideas we're currently floating around is doing more movie fivers. There's a good side and a bad side to that idea. The good side: movies are way more popular than TV, so we'd get some attention that way. (Know which single fiver shows up the most often in the referrals, and has gotten me the most fan mail? Nope, you're not even close. Five-Minute The Ring.) The bad side, of course, is that movies aren't the best way to get repeat business. Lots of people at the Ring forum (http://pub70.ezboard.com/btheringforum) liked my parody, but until a month ago, what could I do for an encore?

Nonetheless, doing more movies seems like a good plan. It's on the table, between BSG and a ham sandwich.

evay
04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
It's on the table, between BSG and a ham sandwich.
Don't get any mustard on BSG, please.

danieldoof
04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
so what series are airing in the us anyway?

here in germany not too many....
would the simpsons be good for fiving?

nip/tuck started some time ago (only first season), the oc, sex and the city, desperate housewives,er, csi miami, boston public (may be good for some voy references) ,some comedy series (king of queens, prince of bel air, and so on)

another x-files fivers?

Hotaru
04-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I've recently seen "The Grudge" and "The Amityville Horror", you could always try them. They might be a little hard, though.

Ghost: BLAH!
People: AHHH!

Nan
04-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Again, Simpsons self-fives. ;)

Comedies are really hard to parody.

Although, Desperate Housewives could probably be fived.

X-Files... ehh. The show is so serious (barren women with cancer? missing/dead sister? hard-core PTSD?) most of the time, and then they have the humourous episodes (Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Bad Blood, Humbug, etc) which, again, are hard to five.

There has to be a certain balance of light and dark.

Also, don't tell my profs I'm here. ;)

Zeke
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM

That philosophy normally makes me want to throw things, but since we're talking about TV, it's okay. Just don't start with me on "Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light". As far as I'm concerned, that was a case of Evil Tuvok.

X-Files seems eminently fivable to me as long as we don't let Thinkey do it. I took fiver notes for the last four episodes, in fact. One of these days I'll at least do the pilot. I love that episode. (Also, my understanding is that XF ran the gamut from serious to stupid, both of which work perfectly for fivers. Straight-out comedy is hard, but self-parody tends to suck, and that makes it easy.)

I've run out of excuses for not seeing The Grudge: it's now available from the DVD auto-renter on campus. It's perfect for my Ring audience, too. But if what I've heard is true, I just plain wouldn't be able to handle it "cold." I'll need some pretty good spoilers -- a script would be ideal. Kira can tell you I scare easily, and knowing I'm going to be scared doesn't help at all, but knowing the details sometimes does.

I could do Darkness Falls, though. It's the epitome of horror flicks -- scary but utterly stupid -- and I got through it with no more help than reading a few reviews and slo-moing the first scene. I was so proud.

Don't get any mustard on BSG, please.

You sure? I think mustard and cheese go well together.

<font size=-2>Yeah, that was Kira bait.</font>

Chancellor Valium
04-25-2005, 07:51 PM

But for that, the Chosen One must come :wink:

Zeke
04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
I can't believe how stupid the Jedi of the Old Republic were. There's someone coming who's going to "bring balance to the Force," and they're excited about it? There are armies of Jedi and only two Sith! That means there are two ways balance can be created, and neither one of them is exactly a good turn of events, hm? Morons.

Sa'ar Chasm
04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Shouldn't you be working?

Anonymous
04-25-2005, 10:01 PM
^ You know, that would actually work as a notto for 5MV quite nicely. :D

Zeke, talking of movie fivers, can I ask - have you looked at my most recently submitted one yet? I know you're a busy fellow and all, but it would be nice to know that you've at least read it.

Kira
04-25-2005, 10:07 PM
^ You know, that would actually work as a motto for 5MV quite nicely. :D
Except it would imply, you know, fivers getting written and/or published.

Anonymous
04-25-2005, 10:35 PM
*Brandishes handbag*

So, how does dawn sound? It is the traditional time, after all. :P

MaverickZer0
04-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Weeeellllll, there's always (don't hate me) Ghost in the Shell. As far as anime movies go, it's gotten quite a bit of publicity...(me? I didn't watch it, but everyone I know who has loved it.)

There's also always the Spiderman movies...

evay
04-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Don't get any mustard on BSG, please. You sure? I think mustard and cheese go well together.
ClassicBSG yes -- mustard and mayo and plenty of relish. BSG2K is a tougher steak to chew.

Yeah, that was Kira bait.
You can't go Kirafishing without a license. Let's see it, please.

Kira
04-26-2005, 02:27 AM
And always remember: you may use bait, but Kira fishes with dynamite.

Scooter
04-26-2005, 02:50 AM
I can't believe how stupid the Jedi of the Old Republic were. There's someone coming who's going to "bring balance to the Force," and they're excited about it? There are armies of Jedi and only two Sith! That means there are two ways balance can be created, and neither one of them is exactly a good turn of events, hm? Morons.

Yeah, but the other Jedi were hella mad because Mace and Yoda were totally hogging the Jacuzzi, so keeping them busy with, you know, Sith Lords 'n stuff was all good.

Scooter
04-26-2005, 02:55 AM
(Also, my understanding is that XF ran the gamut from serious to stupid, both of which work perfectly for fivers. Straight-out comedy is hard, but self-parody tends to suck, and that makes it easy.)

X-Files should totally be fived. It was the next step Phil Farrand took with the Nitpicker's Guides, after all, and he was able to riff on even the most hard-core episodes. And isn't it easier to five the shows/episodes that take themselves very/too seriously? (Just think Sisko. :) )

We already have a couple good XF fives including, if memory serves, Jose Chung (which has one of the better blurbs, too).

Zeke
04-26-2005, 05:50 AM
Sa'ar: Point taken. Except not, because I'm not working right now. My term is over and I'm done all my marking.

Jedi: Point taken. Except -- no, it is taken. I'll send you some comments.

Maverick: I actually took notes for Spider-Man 2 in the theatre. Had to use a black marker so I could see what I was writing in the dark. I didn't think to do that in the first movie, but I was a little distracted anyway. I'll probably five both of them when the third one comes out, because interest in the franchise will be at its peak.

Kira:

Except it would imply, you know, fivers getting written and/or published.

...You DO fish with dynamite.

Sa'ar Chasm
04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Sa'ar: Point taken. Except not, because I'm not working right now. My term is over and I'm done all my marking.

You're not researching some new mathematical theorem?

I actually took notes for Spider-Man 2 in the theatre.

He did. I was there.

NAHTMMM
04-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I never understood that myself.

Shouldn't you be working?

^ You know, that would actually work as a notto for 5MV quite nicely. :D

That would work well as a motto, all right! :D :oops:

Anonymous
04-28-2005, 10:49 AM
<delurk>

I know it's not a new show, but as some folks here are Whedonites, is there any chance of seeing some Five Minute Firefly to go with the top ten list? At least it wouldn't take long to cover the whole series.
Of course, Five Minute Serenity (when it comes out) would also be good. (For those who haven't already heard, the trailer has now appeared over at Apple (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/), causing much bouncing and excitement amongst fans).

Spyke
(Longtime 5MV fan and Browncoat)

Zeke
04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Good question, Spyke -- and I'm not going to spoil any details, but we do have something Firefly-related in the works. It's almost ready to go, in fact.

(Thanks for the trailer link. Actually, I put one on 5MV's front page earlier today....)

Anonymous
04-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Good question, Spyke -- and I'm not going to spoil any details, but we do have something Firefly-related in the works. It's almost ready to go, in fact.

Ooo, shiny!

(Thanks for the trailer link. Actually, I put one on 5MV's front page earlier today....)

Note to self, must remember to hit 'Refresh' when visting the news page.

Spyke
(Waiting with anticipation)

PointyHairedJedi
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
It is? I, um... oh no! Zeke, a giant hummingbird is about to eat your hat and cloak!

*Runs*

Zeke
04-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Shh, you.

Anonymous
05-22-2005, 07:40 PM
To be honest, I would probably first want fivers of the undone Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise episodes before other series, though if those are not options, I'd rather have more Shakespeare/video game fivers (such as XIII, which is one of my favorite games).