PDA

View Full Version : April 18

Zeke
04-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Crap! Again! Not dead, just in constant battle with my neuroses. The next two updates are very nearly done, so I should be able to get tomorrow's update posted by midnight. There's quite a bit of substance to that update, including what I hope will be the solution to the on-again-off-again nature of 5MV's email update list.

For today, though, I'm deeply disheartened to report that TrekUnited (http://www.trekunited.com/) has failed in its campaign to get Enterprise a fifth season. It wasn't a matter of insufficient funding or means; Paramount simply couldn't be budged. And on one level, we can't really fault them. Star Trek is theirs and it's their prerogative to call a halt, for better or for worse. TU's proposition was in some ways a lose-lose for them. If Season 5 had been lousy, it would have reflected on Paramount by association; if Season 5 had been great, it would have made them look like fools, shown up by a bunch of Trek geeks. Maybe this was what they were thinking... though given how clear it is that Paramount's biggest concern is the bottom line, it's still surprising that they managed to turn down all that money.

TU is beginning the refund process, so if you were able to donate anything to the cause, you'll be getting it back soon. My advice? Give it to some deserving charity. You weren't expecting to get it back, so presumably you can live without it -- and there are many other worthy causes to whom it could make a big difference. TU's detractors have been fond of claiming that the money being spent on Trek could be saving lives. That objection is grossly unfair and naive... but now that the money isn't being spent on Trek, why not do some good with it?

Finally, on a more lighthearted note, a reader pointed me to this Garfield strip (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclickcomics/20050416/cx_ga_uc/ga20050416). Hey, that's deep thought in my book.

evay
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
You realize I am now conditioned so that every time I see "pie" in print, I think of you and this site, Z.

Zeke
04-18-2005, 10:36 PM
And what do you think comes to mind when I see the word "hammered," E?

(By the way, is TH okay? I can't load the site. Too many readers in the wake of this announcement, maybe?)

Anonymous
04-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Evay, lol im in the same boat. pie = Zeke.....its a pain in math class.

Opium
04-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Homer=Pie=5MV

Therefore, if one is mentioned, all three come to mind.

Paramount is being a meany. No way around that. :evil:

Anonymous
04-19-2005, 05:59 AM
aye, but it also dosnt seam like B&B pushed much.

evay
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
(By the way, is TH okay? I can't load the site. Too many readers in the wake of this announcement, maybe?)
No, we just got a DSL speed upgrade (yay! twice as fast for $5 less a month!) and in order to do that they had to change our static IP. We entered all the data in the appropriate spots last night, but it'll take a few days for the DNS information to change over. Should be up by Thursday at the latest.

PointyHairedJedi
04-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Spongebob speaketh much wisdom, and yet still they laugh at me when I proclaim my love for this show.

Anyway, the news sucks, but I can't honestly say I'm surprised.

Xeroc
04-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Again, sad to hear that TU didn't work, I guess Paramount had made up its mind from the beginning.

Lol on the Garfield strip!

Hope the update is finished soon, er... in the near future!

evay, does that mean you're running TripHammered off of your home computer?

Anonymous
04-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Wowbagger here on a stolen computer. TU is still fighting on, though without any more donations. Keep writing! Talk to the Viacom shareholders! (There's a link on TU) And... crud, Jake's coming to kill me.

Ta Ta!~