PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all 5MSG fans

Nate the Great
04-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Wow, first 5MSG topic! Hi there! I am Infinite Improbability, also known as Nate the Great, fivist extrodinare. In addition to being the second most prolific 5MSG fivist I also have two fivers of my own on 5MV. I'm back on the boards after a long hiatus, so if you wanna talk Stargate or all things Trek, I'm here for you.

danieldoof
04-28-2005, 11:08 PM
yeah nice

more stargate fivers soon?

its one of my favourite tv shows
I would love to read fivers of that show while watching it
the 1st season is airing now and the 7th just ended
also the 1st of stargate atlantis in on

I am so looking forward to the 8th and 9th season....

Draknek
04-28-2005, 11:16 PM
It's alive!

(Hey there.)

Marill
04-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey, didn't there used to be topics in this forum? I'm pretty sure there was an odd few, what happened?

Zeke
04-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Nan wanted a clean slate. Her first act when I gave her mod power was to mercilessly crush all threads in the forum.

Nan
04-29-2005, 05:36 AM
*shrug* They were all, like, ANCIENT. I figured I'd clean everything up, then post some introductory threads, etc, get things going again.

'Course, see... I'm in college. So aspiring to do anything other than schoolwork is STUPID. X(

Zeke
04-29-2005, 12:38 PM
And if stupidity isn't what makes the world go 'round, I don't know what is.

Sa'ar Chasm
04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Gerbils.

Nate the Great
04-29-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm so glad that people still read Stargate fivers! Hey Nan and Zeke, long time no read! I would like to see more Stargate fivers made, I even still have a few scripts banging around my disks waiting to be fived.

Here are a few of the most classic quotes from Stargate:

Jackson: This tastes like chicken.
Carter: So what’s wrong with it?
Jackson: It’s macaroni and cheese.

O’Neill: You don’t have to stick around.
Teal’c: Undomesticated equines could not remove me.
O’Neill: Wild horses, Teal’c.

Cater: They build their own Stargate?
Jackson: Waaaaay smarter than us.
O’Neill: Ours is bigger.

Jackson: I was speaking metaphorically.
O’Neill: Well stop it. It’s not fair to Teal’c.

O'Neill: Describe for me the dress your sister wore last week when I took her out.
Daniel: I don't have a sister, Jack, and if I did I wouldn't let you near her.

O'Neill: What is it with you people? Time machines are nothin' but trouble. Even we know that.

Teal'c: Chelnak.
Jackson: Direct translation: Very cool.

O'Neill: It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever stops by just to say 'hi' anymore.

O’Neill: I’m telling ya, Teal’c, if we don’t get out of this loop soon I’m gonna lose it. “Lose it.” It means, "Go crazy." "Nuts." "Insane." "Bonzo." "No longer in possession of one's faculties." "Three fries short of a Happy Meal." "Wacko!"

O’Neill: I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound. Nothing comes to mind. Let’s do it.

Nan
04-30-2005, 01:17 AM
5MSG is udnergoing a significant overhaul, and submission policy is changing. It'll be in the new FAQ.

Nate the Great
05-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Submission policy is changing? That sounds ominous.

Nan
05-01-2005, 09:59 PM
I told you about it before, when you last emailed me.

danieldoof
05-01-2005, 10:28 PM
hey nan
is it possible that you post it here?

I want to know :wink:

Nan
05-02-2005, 03:59 AM
Sorry, dd, still working it out. ;)

Draknek
05-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Hoorah, 5MSG isn't dead!

Anonymous
05-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey Draknek! Long time no read!

I assume that Nan doesn't want to sound ominous, she probably wants to switch to something more like what Zeke has, so we don't have any more multiauthor fiver sets for a single episode.

I guess we've given up on the videofiver idea. I know that all I could do is dub lines and e-mail them, I don't have videocapture software or anything.

Nate the Great
05-02-2005, 08:05 PM
By the way, that last one is mine. I didn't know that you could post without loggin in first!

Wowbagger
05-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Holy Krill, there's life here!

I've got five Atlantis scripts on my own desk... back, demons! Away from my wannabe fivers!

Great to see activity. I really thought 5MSG had gone the way of Buffy.

Infinite, you're in Mpls? I'm across the river. By an almost, but not quite, entirely impossible (but very, very improbable) coinicidence, we also both have HHGTTG screen names. You receive a free wave!

*waves*

Nan
05-06-2005, 04:05 AM
No, 5MSG isn't dead, but I've had things to deal with which have prevented me from working with the site: college, technical issues, family crises, employment, etc.

Pretty much the RL gamut, plus it was becoming stressful and upsetting. I've had people friend my yahoo id to tell me I'm not updating enough and then never talk to me again. I've been flamed over how I run the site and manage work. Basically, I was being treated like a publishing machine, and getting bitched out for not posting enough.

I really don't need that kind of thing. It's not fair to me, and I'm not going to stand for it.

So, while I'm glad to see some new discussion going on, new activity, I just need you guys to know that I have a lot of stuff to do and 5MSG is a hobby, not an obligation.

There. Rant over. Thank you for listening.

Nate the Great
05-06-2005, 01:55 PM
So you're in St. Paul, Wowbagger? That's great. I love it here in Minnesota. You bet your Spam I'm a Gopher fan.

Nate the Great
09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, Nan, I can't argue the use of Real Life as an argument, but wasn't that a key reason for the existance of guest fivists? Would it be easier just to merge 5MSG back into a subsite of 5M.net, so you could have a little more help updating? You know, you retain the last say on what the final version of the fivers are, but Zeke, Marc and the gang can actually go through the process of publishing them here?

Zeke
09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
It's been talked about. Actually, I'm the one who usually argues against it: I think 5MSG has its own identity which shouldn't be submerged into 5M.net's.

Regardless, this is Nan's business. And she has had Real Life like you wouldn't believe. 5MSG will return, but not until she's ready.

Nate the Great
09-08-2005, 02:00 AM
It's own identity? I respect exosites and subsites exactly the same. I think all of us do. It's a matter of which series we prefer and how much content they have.

We all have Real Life out of the ears. That's the sad part: we've been around so long that I don't think any of us are in high school anymore. We have jobs, classes, dates, all the other geeky sites we go to... :wink:

I suppose you're right: Nan has the "five minute Stargate" idea by right, and until she's ready nothing else can happen. She'd never claim the right to dictate how you use your time. I've tried going outside my bounds before and you've rightfully slapped me back into my place.

Let me just say that I'm looking forward to 5MSG coming out of cryostasis and I intend to be there to be a guest fivist again, if Nan lets me.

Zeke
09-08-2005, 02:32 AM
It's own identity? I respect exosites and subsites exactly the same. I think all of us do.

True, but not what I meant. With all the framing pages being written by Nan, 5MSG has a sort of personality of its own. The rules are different, too -- remember, we only allow one fiver per episode here.

Anonymous
09-08-2005, 04:36 AM
There's a redesign in order, but it's on the backburner while I'm in school full-time.

Plus, I haven't had my own net connection since April.

Bleh.

I'm also revising policy about submissions. I'll still host the extra fivers, but I won't be taking submissions except in unusual circumstances.

Nan
09-08-2005, 04:37 AM
That was me, BTW.

Nate the Great
09-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, an Internet connection would be useful.

April? Yikes. I'd go through withdrawl symptoms after that much time. I just spent a month having cable internet, and now that I'm back to dialup I feel like a character from Flowers for Algernon.

"Extra fivers?" Please don't be offended when I say that thinking that guest fiver=extra fiver seems a little insulting. You have your claim to be the Godmother of 5MSG, but we underlings have our feelings too.

Zeke
09-08-2005, 01:55 PM
That's not how I read her post, Nate. I think by "extra fivers" she means the duplicates (i.e. all but the first for each episode). Only the second half of her sentence is about guest fivers in general.

Anonymous
09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
This is Nate the Great. I'm only zipping in and out so I won't log in.

I apologize. I think of those as duplicate or parallel fivers, not extra fivers. What can I say, I had a brain cramp.

Nan
09-10-2005, 05:49 AM
I had a really tough week of intense schoolwork and physical upset, so I'm not inclined to be sociable nor diplomatic.

First:

5MSG a fan parody site which exists to amuse nerds. That's all.

Second:

The amount of emotional investment you have in mystifies me completely, Nate.

Third:

I ran 5MSG on my own time and resources, which are mine to do with as I please. I'm not Zeke. 5MSG is not my passion, it's a hobby which is far, far less important than than my education.

And finally:

The very reason I'm no longer taking guest fivers is because I had problems with people thinking I owed them something because they sent me a few pages of geek humour which I then had to proofread, edit, format, and incorporate into my site, by myself.

Yeah. That's worth the raging ego trips in my inbox. Not.

So, I'm not doing it anymore. No more submissions. I'll get to the rest of the series when I have the time and inclination, and that is that.

Chancellor Valium
09-10-2005, 10:56 AM
I had a really tough week of intense schoolwork and physical upset, so I'm not inclined to be sociable nor diplomatic.

First:

5MSG a fan parody site which exists to amuse nerds. That's all.

Second:

The amount of emotional investment you have in mystifies me completely, Nate.

Third:

I ran 5MSG on my own time and resources, which are mine to do with as I please. I'm not Zeke. 5MSG is not my passion, it's a hobby which is far, far less important than than my education.

And finally:

The very reason I'm no longer taking guest fivers is because I had problems with people thinking I owed them something because they sent me a few pages of geek humour which I then had to proofread, edit, format, and incorporate into my site, by myself.

Yeah. That's worth the raging ego trips in my inbox. Not.

So, I'm not doing it anymore. No more submissions. I'll get to the rest of the series when I have the time and inclination, and that is that.

Fair enough. It's your life, after all :)

Nate the Great
09-10-2005, 01:27 PM
You wouldn't believe the tirade I had typed before I thought better of it.

My emotional investment mystifies you? Golly gee, I'm the second most prolific Stargate fivist! Last time I checked you only had two fivers more than me. We each have a third of the content pie, with everyone else having to share the rest. I'm not claiming to own a third of the site, but I'm claiming to be one of the first guest fivists, I'm claiming to still love the idea of an audiofiver, I'm claiming to be a fan of you, Zeke, and the fiving community in general!

I love the site, I love fivers, I love Stargate. I want to do good by it.
If you merge back into 5MV, other people can take the time to do the nasty grunt work of posting and maintaing fivers. All you have to do is read and critique them! Half an hour a week! Everyone has half an hour a week! You'd even have time left over to have a Real Life.

PointyHairedJedi
09-10-2005, 03:24 PM
To say that Nan has Real Life in spades right now would be something of an understatement. She more than enough things going on to occupy her attention, and I don't think that it's entirely unreasonable that she's taken the decision to let 5MSG lie dormant for the forseeable future.

That said, I also don't think it would be entirely unreasonable to put it under the temporary management of someone who does have the time to spare to keep it ticking over, but it's Nan's subsite and therefore it's her call.

Just try and remember this, Infinite Improbability - Nan doesn't owe you anything. Please don't act like she does.

Sa'ar Chasm
09-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Golly gee, I'm the second most prolific Stargate fivist!

Quantity does not equal quality.

Kindly do Nan a favour and grind off that chip on your shoulder.

Nate the Great
09-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Where did I say quantity=quality? I don't recall saying ANYTHING of the kind! I was attempting to justify my "emotional investment," as Nan calls it. Call it a defensive reflex. Call it a rebuttal. Call it what you will, but at least stab me in the back with my own words.

Nan owes me squat. At least not personally. She owes it to the fiving community.

If you feel I'm being harsh unreasonably, please e-mail.

Nan, I apologize again for my personality and worldview which clash with yours, but I will never recant my position without good cause.

Kira and Marc chose to make a clean break and leave with honor. They were very good to me, and I will miss them.

Thank you PointyHairedJedi for at least agreeing that 5MSG needs the chance to be updated regularly.

PointyHairedJedi
09-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Nan owes me squat. At least not personally. She owes it to the fiving community.
Now there I would have to disagree with you. To twist a phrase - fivers are a privilege, not a right. The whole concept of the fiver is to entertain, and to posit that it is somehow Nan's duty for the good of all mankind (or at least a little section of it) to keep 5MSG active is more than a little ludicrous. Zeke could (heaven forbid) decide to do the exact same thing tomorrow for 5M as a whole, and while I'd be sad about it I'd still argue the exact same thing. Do you get where I'm coming from?

Chancellor Valium
09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Now there I would have to disagree with you. To twist a phrase - fivers are a privilege, not a right. The whole concept of the fiver is to entertain, and to posit that it is somehow Nan's duty for the good of all mankind (or at least a little section of it) to keep 5MSG active is more than a little ludicrous. Zeke could (heaven forbid) decide to do the exact same thing tomorrow for 5M as a whole, and while I'd be sad about it I'd still argue the exact same thing. Do you get where I'm coming from?

Truer words were never spoken, to quote Xeroc :wink:

Nan has a duty to herself. If Nan chooses to do this, it's because it#s fun. If there#s no time for it or it stops being fun, or if life is generally too crap to do it, then Nan has a duty to do right by herself. If this were a multi-national company, I might agree, II, but it isn't. It's a sci-fi fan's website, and, though this may come as a shock, not a very large one, in comparative terms.