PDA

View Full Version : May 18

Zeke
05-18-2005, 05:05 AM
Zeke here. I'm back... I think. Details when I've got 'em.

Anyway, here's another Smallville fiver from Derek: Five-Minute "Onyx (../scifivers/onyx.html)." I'm not sure it's the next one he did chronologically, but it's the next one I can get at right now. Enjoy... FOOLS!

Zeke
05-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, I really liked it. I don't care what the silent majority doesn't say. Those first three lines are killer.

MmeBlueberry
05-19-2005, 09:30 PM
I liked it, too, especially the "Barbara Manatee" reference.

Zeke
05-20-2005, 04:39 AM
May 20

Cool link today by way of stripysox: we made Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiver)!

I've also got a couple of birthdays to mention. First, Nan had hers a few days ago, and she's got a present coming. Second, here in Canada where the government just failed to collapse (sigh), I've been reminded that the province of Saskatchewan is celebrating its centennial this year. And we all know who's from Saskatchewan... that's right, one of my favourite bands, the Northern Pikes (http://www.thepikes.com/)! So happy 100th to SK and those who dwell within.

Kira
05-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Yep, and we had Queen Elizabeth visiting today. I've never seen that many cops on campus before. Actually, I've never seen that many cops anywhere.

Also, not everyone is looking forward to another election. Particularly since I'm afraid of the outcome.

Nan
05-20-2005, 06:47 AM
...the government just failed to collapse (sigh)...

I just HAD an election with all the BSing, message inundation, "can-we-count-on-your-support" phonecalls at dinner time, snail mail spam at home and at my dorm, poll calls, vicious ads and analysis on every freaking channel... and it all came to a head ON MY BIRTHDAY.

UGH!

Chancellor Valium
05-20-2005, 07:28 AM
...the government just failed to collapse (sigh)...

I just HAD an election with all the BSing, message inundation, "can-we-count-on-your-support" phonecalls at dinner time, snail mail spam at home and at my dorm, poll calls, vicious ads and analysis on every freaking channel... and it all came to a head ON MY BIRTHDAY.

UGH!
You got all that? Where I was, only one councilmember bothered to come to our door :mrgreen:

evay
05-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Also, not everyone is looking forward to another election. Particularly since I'm afraid of the outcome.
Been there did that the last two times, dear.

Nan
05-20-2005, 02:07 PM
You got all that? Where I was, only one councilmember bothered to come to our door :mrgreen:

Lucky sod. X(

The local stuff was pretty much set in stone from the start. Excepting two single elections, my valley's candidate has been NDP since the NDP was the CCF, way back in the days of Tommy Douglas.

Which means nothing if you don't know who Tommy Douglas was, apart from him being Kiefer Sutherland's grandpa (distaff side).

At uni the big "get the youth to vote" engine was warming up and I assume the project heads realized we dorm rats were immobile targets.

Additionally, because the general election day fell on my birthday, I only had about 12 hours total to see my sis and bro, who I haven't had much contact with for weeks (former) or months (latter), because they had to leave in the early afternoon to make the polling stations before they closed.

Sa'ar Chasm
05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Additionally, because the general election day fell on my birthday, I only had about 12 hours total to see my sis and bro,

At least you got a phone call out of the deal.

mudshark
05-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Happy Birthday, Nan! :D (a few days late)

Happy 100, Saskatchewan!

Happy whatever, QE (and all the cops, too, I suppose.)

Nate the Great
05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey there! I just want to state here that it was I who wrote the Wikipedia entry. Me, Nate the Great. I just hope that you all enjoy it. Looking at how many entries there are for relatively obscure webcomics and noting that a far more significant website doesn't have one, I knew something had to be done. I hope you like it.

Chancellor Valium
05-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Nan - we still got the usual pamphlets from parties we don't vote for - the greens, the lib dems, and, most laughably, the Labour party bothered to try and get votes from us.....

Zeke
05-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks, Nate!

Ehh, you have nothing to worry about. Canada has demonstrated repeatedly now that we're perfectly happy taking this crap from the Liberals. They'll win the next election just fine, whenever it is.

Kira
05-20-2005, 09:13 PM
::: shrug ::: Still beats taking crap from some of the other parties. As Rick Mercer pointed out once, they may be the lesser of several evils, but this is the kind of situation where it's important that the lesser evil win.

Sa'ar Chasm
05-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Oi, easy on the politics. No good ever comes of this.

Kira
05-20-2005, 09:56 PM
I was talking about the Marijuana Party, obviously. ;)

Sa'ar Chasm
05-20-2005, 09:58 PM
*snicker* Right. Forgot about them.

We need the Rhino Party back.

Zeke
05-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Where did it go?

("Easy on the politics" point well taken, btw.)

Xeroc
05-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, I really liked it. I don't care what the silent majority doesn't say. Those first three lines are killer.
Well, I liked it too! I just can't comment on it while I'm away on buisness, you see?

Nan
05-21-2005, 03:25 AM
At least you got a phone call out of the deal.

Indeed. ;)

Thanks Mudshark and Sa'ar and Zeke. ;)

Zeke
05-21-2005, 04:22 AM
May 21

Remember that update-list replacement idea I mentioned? It's here (http://www.livejournal.com/community/5mv/). Click the link for the details.

Hotaru
05-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Yay for everything that's happened recently!

Alberta is also turning 100 y'know. And I turned 18 yesterday! Woo! Uhm, yeah.

Ginga
05-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Yay for everything that's happened recently!

Alberta is also turning 100 y'know. And I turned 18 yesterday! Woo! Uhm, yeah.

*concurs*

*turned 17 on the 14th* Ooh, looks like Zeke forgot a few birthdays. Buuurn. But probably more burn for us since we're not on the staff, we are merely sheep. :o

MaverickZer0
05-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Sheep. Cloned Sheep.

And yes, I actually have a LJ. I bet that surprises a few people...considering the griping i did about it...

Derek
05-21-2005, 03:13 PM
*turned 17 on the 14th* Ooh, looks like Zeke forgot a few birthdays. Buuurn. But probably more burn for us since we're not on the staff, we are merely sheep. :o
Actually, as my FAQ (http://fiveminute.net/about/derek.html) shows, you can be on staff and still not have your birthday remembered. Buuuuuuuurn. <eg>

Ginga
05-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Actually, as my FAQ (http://fiveminute.net/about/derek.html) shows, you can be on staff and still not have your birthday remembered. Buuuuuuuurn. <eg>

I think Zeke has some explaining to do! D:

:wink:

Zeke
05-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Tell you what: when I manage to get the birthday-calendar feature of this board working, then I'll feel guilty for missing birthdays. Deal?

Nan
05-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Indeed, people. There's a reason why I didn't bug the guy about it. ;)

Plus, my total horror at turning 20 caused my brain to liquefy for a while.

NAHTMMM
05-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Lex: Let us now commence Project YAKEDTE: Yet Another Kryptonite Experiment Destined to Explode!
Doctor: Yessir, but I really wish we could leave off the DTE part.
Lex: Yes, and the fans want me to leave off the YAKE part, but do I listen to them?
(BOOM!)
Doctor: Maybe you should...
Good Lex: Nah, that would make the show interesting.
:twisted: Sounds like the holodeck on TNG to me... ;)
Lionel: I can't believe you cancelled my charity banquet!
Evil Mwahaha-Lex Villain: Yes you can.
Lionel: Okay, I can. But what about our touching father-son moment earlier?
Evil Mwahaha-Lex Villain: Let's replace that with fencing and see if I can't turn you evil again.

Lana: So what have you done about it?
Clark: Done? Nothing of course. Not until Chloe tells me too.
Chloe: (over the phone) Okay, Clark, now you can confront Lex.

Heheheh.

Evil Mwahaha-Lex Villain: Well, I can either argue with you about whether people are born good or bad and whether or not that makes me the real Lex, or I can punch you with my kryptonite ring until you agree to take over the world with me.
Clark: So which one are you --
(PUNCH!)
:lol: :lol:

Lex: Nope. It was really horrible though seeing myself as some evil, over-the-top, comic-book villain. It's just so unlike me.
Heheh.

PointyHairedJedi
05-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Plus, my total horror at turning 20 caused my brain to liquefy for a while.
Yeah, only ten more years to go until Carousel.

Happy Birthday to people and provinces. Sorry I've been out of contact (and really, I still am), but any of the three people who read my LJ will know why (which, oddly, the library connection won't let me visit thanks to its nannying software - I blame 17, of course).

By the way, we really wouldn't have minded if you had decided not to send the Queen back. No really, it would have been fine. :wink:

Zeke
05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
By the way, we really wouldn't have minded if you had decided not to send the Queen back. No really, it would have been fine. :wink:

Ohhhhh no you don't. This republican is quite happy to ship monarchs back where they come from, free of charge.

PointyHairedJedi
05-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Spoilsport.