PDA

View Full Version : June 25

Zeke
06-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Welcome to Day 11. If you stick an R in the middle, that kinda looks like Daryll. But would anyone get it these days if I made an "other brother Daryll" reference?
<ul>
Today's DS9 fiver is the only one from a non-staffer in this event: "A Time to Stand (../ds9/fiver.php?ep=atimetostand)" by Andy Taylor. You may remember Andy from his Final Chapter fivers or, more recently, "Disharmony," his contribution to the Five-Minute Angel launch. He's been waiting an absurdly long time to see this one published -- sorry, Andy.
Next, IJD continues his series of Starcraft fivers with Episode II: The Zerg Campaign (../videogames/starcraft2.html).
Finally, today we have Marc's chapter of Cliffhangers: Part 6 (../features/cliffhangers6.html). Can you figure out what theme he picked? (The other four of us couldn't -- he had to tell us.)[/list]

Day 12 tomorrow, so soundproof the guest room. Those twelve drummers drumming need their practice.

Sa'ar Chasm
06-26-2005, 05:38 AM
If you stick an R in the middle, that kinda looks like Daryll. But would anyone get it these days if I made an "other brother Daryll" reference?

I would, but only second hand.

Can you figure out what theme he picked?

I think I can, and I shall email him and find out how wrong I was.

Nog: GAH! Why no chairs in here?
O'Brien: I believe it's a time to stand, cadet.
Nog: Phaser please, that was just too bad.

I'm with Nog on this one.

Odo: ...Walk like an Egyptian!
Weyoun: Okay!
Odo: Make like Porthos!
Weyoun: Ruff, ruff!

Dance, puppet, dance!

Jadzia: Well, we could surf the shockwave out of here.
Sisko: That's too ridiculous not to do.

*g*

The Overmind: Done with the first craptacular mission? I figured. Now we make our way to the planet Char.

You may run into some crapped-out Decepticons.

The Overmind: Excellent job with the eradication of the Terrans. Now do it again, once more, with feeling.
Cerebrate: I am NOT turning this into a musical.

Hah!

Daggoth: Behold, the crysalis hatcheth!
Crysalis: GAK!
Kerrigan: Yo.
Raynor: For some reason I can see the events occurring over there all the way in my Terran encampment. So let me be the first to say "Holy crap, Kerrigan?"

That always baffled me.

Raynor: So are you going to kill me?
Kerrigan: Nah. You're important, thus guaranteed a big part in the finale.

Named characters tend to have a higher survival rate than generic guys. Slightly.

Daggoth: No, you're thinking of Hinduism. Anyway, his brood is in disarray. Cerebrate, you still there?
Cerebrate: Of course. Just because nobody was talking to me doesn't mean I went anywhere. Somebody's got to play this thing.

*snicker*

Kerrigan: What is this dark magik you wield? This power to stay cloaked at all times?
Zeratul: Yeah, we're pretty damn cool all right.

No argument here.

(The swarm encompasses Aiur at Ludicrous Speed)

That was a spectacular cut scene, with the Overmind dwarfing the huge sky-crab things.

Derek: What's with the blowtorch, IJD?

IJD: I'm going to use it to thaw out Zeke.

Zeke: (from inside his coating of ice) MMMmnnGHMmmpfNNNGHGH!

*g* Poor Zeke.

Kira: Are you sure he's a farmer?

Derek: He's got a tractor.

I'm convinced.

Derek: Help them out with what? That's not a real monster! I recognize the scene: it's from the original 1954 version of The Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I'm in awe of Derek's movie collection.

(A loud rumbling sound is heard. The 5MV staff looks in the direction of the police cars. The scene cuts to a herd of buffalo stampeding straight towards the camera amid a cloud of dust. The scene cuts back to a close-up of the 5MV staff.)

Just remember: you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.

Xeroc
06-26-2005, 05:50 AM
Lol! Excellent work all! :D

Gatac
06-26-2005, 06:57 AM
You may run into some crapped-out Decepticons.

You crazy people and your post-movie cartoon continuity.

Gatac

Marc
06-26-2005, 07:12 AM
>> Can you figure out what theme he picked?<<

>> I think I can, and I shall email him and find out how wrong I was. <<

Sa'ar has now done so and the answer to the above statement was: totally and utterly. ;)

By the way, you may have noticed a bit of transitional discontinuity between the end of IJD's chapter and the start of mine. This was unintentional (unlike the rest of the silliness in the text). It resulted because both texts were revised at the draft stage but only one of the revised texts got posted. The revision was only a minor one, and if Zeke pastes the correction into the posted version you may not see much difference.

Scooter
06-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Welcome to Day 11. If you stick an R in the middle, that kinda looks like Daryll. But would anyone get it these days if I made an "other brother Daryll" reference?
Great Gravy -- a "Newhart" reference! Even more obscure than my recent "Bosom Buddies" reference!
Can you figure out what theme he picked?
Hmmm... makes me want to say things like, "We are all interested in the future, because that is where we will spend the rest of our lives..."

Alexia
06-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Only read the first one so far...but:-

Joseph Sisko: So what brings your first communication with me in months?
Sisko: I left Jake on an occupied DS9.
Joseph Sisko: Okay... I'm liking you a little less now.
Sisko: Awww, Dad, c'mon, it's only Jake.
Joseph Sisko: Oh, Jake! Sorry, I thought you mentioned someone useful. My bad.
Sisko: Well, since it's a time to stand against the Dominion --
O'Brien: Sir, we already did the title thing.
Sisko: Awww.

LMAO xD Really funny Andy :mrgreen:

evay
06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Newhart is a classic! We don't need no steenken second-hand references.

This was originally published on June X, 2005. Yes, X. Just to piss you off.
:lol: Hey, as long as it's deliberate, it works for me. :D

Derek
06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
But would anyone get it these days if I made an "other brother Daryll" reference?
I would've got it.

Great fiver, Andy. All the excerpts I'd excerpt have been excerpted.

Nice Starcraft fivers, IJD. I'm really tempted to load that up on my machine and play it all over again.

And great panel, Marc.

Alexia
06-26-2005, 01:40 PM
But would anyone get it these days if I made an "other brother Daryll" reference?
I would've got it.
I wouldn't :wink:

Great fiver, Andy. All the excerpts I'd excerpt have been excerpted.
:lol:

mudshark
06-26-2005, 03:01 PM
But would anyone get it these days if I made an "other brother Daryll" reference? I'd get it (and I was an infrequent Newhart viewer, at best.)

O'Brien: (sigh) Three months ... Three months -- three months ...
Bashir: ... three months --
Worf: ... three months!
Jadzia: Three months?
Jadzia: Three months...
--------------------
Sisko: That's it, shut up! It hasn't even been three months, now you're just annoying me!
Bashir: Care for a change of pace sir?
Sisko: Always.
Bashir: The seventh fleet's nearly been wiped out.
Sisko: Sorry -- three months? Wow... :D
Weyoun: Do Vorta need a reason to pointlessly praise? Of course not.
Jake: Hi! So what do you think of my news reports?
Weyoun: Rule number one of journalism: don't insult the person who reads and submits your articles.
Jake: Oops. :snicker:
Jadzia: Well, we could surf the shockwave out of here.
Sisko: That's too ridiculous not to do.
--------------------
Defiant: Cowabunga! Heheheh.

The Overmind: Excellent job with the eradication of the Terrans. Now do it again, once more, with feeling.
Cerebrate: I am NOT turning this into a musical. Hee.
Cerebrate: Think highly of yourself much?
The Overmind: Quite much. Heh.

IJD: What an offal way to die.
Derek: What an awful pun that was.
Marc: Look who's complaining about awful puns. :snerk:
Crandel: It's coming straight for us! South Park?

Can you figure out what theme he picked? (The other four of us couldn't -- he had to tell us.) In time, I might get it, but as of now I haven't a clue.

Marc
06-26-2005, 03:38 PM
>> Crandel: It's coming straight for us! <<

>> South Park? <<

Not consciously, if at all.

Sa'ar Chasm
06-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Sa'ar has now done so and the answer to the above statement was: totally and utterly.

If you're gonna fail, do it spectacularly.

In time, I might get it, but as of now I haven't a clue.

I'm in august company then. If mudshark and Derek can't get it, nobody can.

Well, except maybe Marc, but he wrote it so that doesn't count.

Marc
06-26-2005, 05:43 PM
>> I'm in august company then. If mudshark and Derek can't get it, nobody can. <<

You'll find a clue (although it wasn't designed for that purpose) in my Return of the Sith fiver.

Zeke
06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm in august company then. If mudshark and Derek can't get it, nobody can.

Funny you should say that -- judging by Scooter's post, he already got it. :mrgreen:

And oops re: the Cliffhangers glitch. I'll mend it.

mudshark
06-26-2005, 08:35 PM
>> I'm in august company then. If mudshark and Derek can't get it, nobody can. <<

You'll find a clue (although it wasn't designed for that purpose) in my Return of the Sith fiver.Okay, I think I've got it now (PM on the way.)

Marc
06-26-2005, 09:05 PM
>> Hmmm... makes me want to say things like, "We are all interested in the future, because that is where we will spend the rest of our lives..." <<

>> Funny you should say that -- judging by Scooter's post, he already got it. <<

>> Okay, I think I've got it now (PM on the way.) <<

Yup, Scooter and Mudshark have both got the main source right. There are also allusions to several other films by the same director; the whole thing is an homage to his films. Before I give away the answer, can Scooter or Mudshark pinpoint which two films the buffalo stampede and "A situation easily remedied" come from?

PointyHairedJedi
06-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Cerebrate: Hey, wait a sec! You never said anything about guarding beacons!
Daggoth: Oh, yeah. That. Look, just make sure that the Dark Templar don't escape from the beacons you're supposed to be guarding while simultaneously defending your three bases and building a force large enough to destroy all the Protoss on the map.
Cerebrate: I'm not sure I'm on the level.
Daggoth: Of course you aren't; there is no cow level!
You know, I could never get past that level.

Even when I cheated. :oops:

Scooter
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
which two films the buffalo stampede and "A situation easily remedied" come from?

(1) From the "pull the strings!" scene ("G or G?")
(2) ??

[It helped in identifying the theme that I had recently referenced the same director in "Aliens of London."] :)

Sa'ar Chasm
06-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I am still officially all sorts of lost.

Marc
06-26-2005, 11:24 PM
My compliments to Scooter (who correctly got the buffalo reference) and to Mudshark (who PM'd me the correct reference for the "remedied" quote).

This part of Cliffhangers is an homage to the films of Edward D. Wood, with much of the material drawn from or inspired by "Plan 9 From Outer Space". The "remedied" line is a Criswell quote from one of the last films Wood was associated with, "Orgy of the Dead." The buffalo stampede is from the first film Wood directed, "Glen or Glenda" (in which it makes as little sense as it does in Cliffhangers).

For a hilarious introduction to the life and work of Wood, I recommend the 1994 documentary "Ed Wood: Look Back in Angora." The film presents Wood by intercutting material from his own films with interviews and wry comments from the narrator to create one of the funniest documentaries I've ever seen.

The film often splices together bits from several Wood films so that they will play off each other in an entirely new way. In one part, for instance, the narrator declares that Wood tried to put together some new projects after Plan Nine. We then cut to a film sequence where a character (played by Wood) says, "Ah my dear, what I have for you will be a feast for your very eyes." The film then cuts to a character from a different movie snorting, "What have you got this time -- more junk?" Well worth seeing.

Sa'ar Chasm
06-27-2005, 12:42 AM
And here I was thinking it was going to involve a Mad Magazine issue from 1975.

Wouldn't have got that no matter how long I guessed.

NAHTMMM
07-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Admiral Ross: Hi, I'm your new recurring character.
Sisko: I didn't order one of those.
Admiral Ross: How odd. Like my old admiral uniform?
Sisko: No, it clashes with everything.
Heeheehee

Bashir: Give over, at least you don't have Sickbay in your quarters.
O'Brien: You're sleeping in Sickbay? Such dedicated professionalism from --
Bashir: Kill him.
:D

Cerebrate: I am NOT turning this into a musical.
:mrgreen:

Zeke: (from inside his coating of ice) MMMmnnGHMmmpfNNNGHGH!
IJD: I didn't quite catch that.
Derek: He's saying something about pain and bodily damage. He sounds pretty agitated too.

Kira: Okay, that's helpful to know.
Narrator: ...mercifully unaware of the horrific fate that Fate had in store for them!
Kira: Unsettling, mind you, but helpful.

Marc: I'd also like to point out that on the hightway we were driving in daylight but that here it's the middle of the night. I'm suprised nobody noticed that little detail.
Zeke: I noticed. Everything is pitch black!
Marc: That's because you're still hiding under the seat.
Zeke: Oh.

IJD: Will somebody please explain what's going on here? You make it sound like we're being attacked by stock footage.
Marc: We are. It was all I could afford on the ridiculously low budget I was given to produce my part of our adventure.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Suspense: SNAP!
(CRASH!)
Zeke: Ow!
Kira: Oooh, that's gotta hurt.
:D

NAHTMMM
07-01-2005, 07:20 PM
This part of Cliffhangers is an homage to the films of Edward D. Wood
Ah, well then I didn't have the slightest chance ;). At first I thought you were piling in as many detective/police series as you could, but then the monsters came along and nixed that...