PDA

View Full Version : July 8

Zeke
07-09-2005, 05:27 AM
Welcome to Day 24, true believers! Today we have the first of a whole new breed of fiver I've been meaning to try for some time. Get ready to hang loose, because here comes 5M's first scintillating, action-packed... comic book fiver!
<ul> The issue in question? One of the biggest comics cliffhangers of the past year: Avengers #500 (../comics/avengers500.html), Part 1 of Marvel's controversial Avengers Disassembled storyline. This fiver comes out to all you Marvelites from the Bullpen's own "Zingin'" Zeke.
[/list]

Don't miss the thrills and chills of Day 25! Excelsior!

PointyHairedJedi
07-09-2005, 05:53 AM
You know, I've never even heard of that title before. But then I am pretty much a comics philistine.

Comics fivers, however, is an idea that I find really, really cool... :D

Derek
07-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Nice fiver, Zeke. Like PHJ, I haven't heard of the title, nor do I read comics, so I'm sure everything got lost on me. Oh well.

So when will we have our first comic comics fiver?

Gatac
07-09-2005, 05:22 PM
I've been getting lazy in keeping up...did they pull another Crossing? Please, say they didn't do another Crossing. I've still got scars from the first one.

Gatac

NAHTMMM
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Hawkeye: Hey, there's a Quinjet coming. Awful fast, too....
She-Hulk: (squinting) How can you tell? All I see is a little dot.
Hawkeye: They don't call me Hawkeye for nothing. Also, duck.
Cap: (sigh) He's back again? Howard, for the absolute last time, you can't join the --
(CRAAAAAAASH)
Cap: Wow. He doesn't usually take it that badly.

Vision: My friends, I am truly sorry that I failed to recognize the horrible threat we now face. For indeed, we face a horrible threat. A threat so horrible that --
Cap: Vision, I know Hank Pym built you, but can you please at least try to get to the point?
Vision: Very well. I shall now tell you the name of the horrible threat before us. That horrible threat, which is unquestionably horrible and threatens us even as we speak, is none other than -- (face melts)
Hawkeye: Whichever one of you did that, thanks.
:mrgreen: Funny stuff!

Standback
07-09-2005, 08:13 PM
I just wanted to mention how utterly impressed I am by the last 3.5 weeks of Cliffhanging goodness. While I'm perfectly fine with the regular sporadic updates, this veritable slew of material - with great variety and quality - is not going unappreciated.
As for the Avengers fiver... I find comic fivers an interesting development. It's a bit surprising, as I don't know how many readers are even comic-book fans, and moreover - there are so many different ones, that few people follow enough titles for any one issue to get wide recognition. This particular issue all the moreso - I happen to be just familiar enough with Marvel and the Avengers to recognize most of the names, and I think I'm on the high end of comic-appreciation around here.

On the other hand... it's just cool. :) Comic trope are generic enough that I got most of the jokes. Especially loved:
Army of Ultrons: DESTROY!
Captain Britain: Wait, Ultron? Isn't he dead?
Cap: Wasn't Jack? Wasn't Vision? Weren't you?
Captain Britain: Oh. So I can stop being sad about Scott?
Cap: No, his death is permanent and devastating.
So good luck, well done, and much YAYness and rejoicement for everybody!