The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   April 3 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1034)

Sa'ar Chasm 04-05-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Maybe if you insist that only sci-fi and similar things are acceptable (beside Shakespeare, video games, and other similar deviations), that still leaves a LOT to five.
Hence why I prefaced "mythical" to the term Last Fiver.

Ginga 04-06-2006 12:30 AM

Just to let you know, this is actually freaking people out. One of my friends who absolutely adores 5MV talked to me at lunch today and asked me,

"Okay, I got on 5MV a few minutes ago... and... WHAT THE HELL!? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN!?"

I had to laugh and tell her that it started on April Fools', and then she understood.

But, needless to say, she seemed pretty panicked for a while there.

ijdgaf 04-06-2006 04:10 AM

It's not 5MV... it's 5M.net.

And it's not 5M.net... it's 5MBSG.

:shock:

Sa'ar Chasm 04-06-2006 04:11 AM

It's like 3M, only with extra innovation. And, like, netbags or something.

Ginga 04-06-2006 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijdgaf
It's not 5MV... it's 5M.net.

I know, I know, but it's a habit that's a little too hard to break.

ijdgaf 04-06-2006 05:59 AM

Yeah... I'm completely with you there.

Zeke 04-06-2006 08:30 AM

I suggest going to Japan. Since B and V aren't distinguished over there, you can call the site 5MVSG if you want. As long as you do it with a big smile and eyes shaped like carets.

One of the early possibilities I considered (suggested by Marc, IIRC) was letting the V stand for something else. I rejected that when I couldn't think of anything suitable. Now that I've read V For Vendetta, I'm wondering if I should have done what Alan Moore must have -- that is, spend about five days compiling the world's biggest list of V words.

Oh, uh, go BSG.

Lostoyannaya 04-06-2006 08:51 AM

Oooh! Zeke made a link that didn't go to NC-17 material! Go Zeke!

And on the plus side...the Japanese can't use the letter "L".

~~Lostoyannaya :wink:

PointyHairedJedi 04-06-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
I suggest going to Japan. Since B and V aren't distinguished over there, you can call the site 5MVSG if you want. As long as you do it with a big smile and eyes shaped like carets.

Do you do anything else than just sit around reading webcomics all day long? :P

Naki 04-06-2006 02:55 PM

I think we all know the answer to that, why else do you think he never gets anything done on time?

Celeste 04-06-2006 03:20 PM

Hehehehe, good list, Zekey. I especialy like the Disclaimer. :p

MaverickZer0 04-06-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itachi
I think we all know the answer to that, why else do you think he never gets anything done on time?

Are you implying that people who read webcomics don't get anything done?
I resent that.

...Even if it's true, I still resent it, dammit.

Burt 04-06-2006 10:36 PM

You know I'm just never sure about updates. Ever since Tesco 'Improved' my favourite chicken curry, and turned it in to something un-curry like.
I just can't get past it; doesn't the new Battle-Star like a giant Hoover? It's like the updated Thunderbirds ships. There's no way I'm supporting that Thunderbird 2! And it’s not a time thing. You know, that I think everything older is better. I mean when I see Enterprise, I still weep with happiness.
But Vacuum Cleaner people!

ijdgaf 04-07-2006 12:18 AM

I'm sorry. But if you haven't seen the new BSG and are judging it on appearance, then you're bound to reach faulty conclusions.

There are perfectly valid reasons for disliking the new show. But thinking the old is better? Very few hold that belief.

The new BSG is one of the very few remakes/updates out there that just blows the original right out of the water.

Burt 04-07-2006 12:55 AM

Oh no, you misunderstand. I was just talking about the ship itself, from what I see, I rather the older one.
But on that subject, I think I'm of the idea that, the remakes are very rarely as good as or better the the first. Take The Avengers, while I was gleefully happy of new Avengers, the (as Data put it) 'Flavor of the moment was lost.' I.e the actors couldn't be replaced - they made it, what it was. I find it's the same for most things. Doctor Who, while the remake is very watchable and well done, it lacks the flavor it used to have.
The only remake I can think of, that surpass them the first run, are the New Poirot - simply because of David Suchet.

AKAArzosah 04-07-2006 11:48 AM

Did I hear someone say 'Happy April Fools Year'?

Chancellor Valium 04-07-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt
Oh no, you misunderstand. I was just talking about the ship itself, from what I see, I rather the older one.
But on that subject, I think I'm of the idea that, the remakes are very rarely as good as or better the the first. Take The Avengers, while I was gleefully happy of new Avengers, the (as Data put it) 'Flavor of the moment was lost.' I.e the actors couldn't be replaced - they made it, what it was. I find it's the same for most things. Doctor Who, while the remake is very watchable and well done, it lacks the flavor it used to have.
The only remake I can think of, that surpass them the first run, are the New Poirot - simply because of David Suchet.

Exactly.

Keab4247 04-07-2006 06:04 PM

Quote:

2. It beats the pants off the other popular sf shows currently in production... all one of them
Isnt Stargate still in production?

Zeke 04-07-2006 06:19 PM

Yes, but I don't care.

And from the Things I Wish I'd Thought of At the Time department...

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay
(or StarFraked, I suppose)

Kara and Will Riker? I don't see it.

MaverickZer0 04-07-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Yes, but I don't care.

*gasp* Doesn't...care...about Stargate...!
Point me to the lynch mob!