The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ANOTHER GAME - Mornington Crescent (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=530)

Chancellor Valium 09-13-2004 08:49 PM

ANOTHER GAME - Mornington Crescent

Very simple game - if you don't understand, go to google and search for "Mornington Crescent".
Rules for this version:
We are using a modern London tube map (ie including the jubilee line!)
Players must start no further in than, southwards, above the Thames, North, below the line from North Woolwich to Richmond.
Players must not start on the Northern Line
I will start:
Caledonian Road

Xeroc 09-13-2004 10:30 PM

Okay, how about...

Seven Sisters

[Note: If you're wondering how to play, or what the heck we're talking about, look here:

Mornington Crescent

And for a map of the London Underground:

London Underground

Hope that helps]

stripysox 09-13-2004 10:36 PM

Any chance of someone here explaining it in a non-comfusing way? Or perhaps I am just to thick to understand. Sounds fun though, I want to play! :)

taya17 09-14-2004 01:05 AM

You do realize that a large majority of the forumgoers here don't know the London Underground by heart, do you?

Xeroc 09-14-2004 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taya17
You do realize that a large majority of the forumgoers here don't know the London Underground by heart, do you?

That's why I included a link to a map, if you don't:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
And for a map of the London Underground:

London Underground

taya17 09-14-2004 03:37 AM

I might be wrong, but it seems to me as if the point of the game is to test the player's knowledge of the subway system, in which case making use of a map would completely defeat the purpose?

I don't know...as a whole the game doesn't make a ton of sense for me, so I might be mistaken. *shrug*

Xeroc 09-14-2004 03:43 AM

Quote:

I might be wrong, but it seems to me as if the point of the game is to test the player's knowledge of the subway system, in which case making use of a map would completely defeat the purpose?

I don't know...as a whole the game doesn't make a ton of sense for me, so I might be mistaken. *shrug*

Well, it doesn't make a (metric!) ton of sense to me either, but as far as I know, it's a game that doesn't really have much of a purpose (kind of like a lot of stuff here) and is just for fun. It also is suppossed to have creative and funny rules.

taya17 09-14-2004 03:56 AM

Maybe we should make use of something more accessible, like Voyager episodes? We can have creative rules too, like "List all the episodes in Season 3 in order, except those in which Janeway is shown drinking more than one cup of coffee"...

I think I get this game now, though, it's a mental exercise like 7-Up. (That's the game where you take turns sounding off numbers in order, except you have to say "Up!" everytime you come to a number that has a 7 in it, or is a multiple of 7...)

Xeroc 09-14-2004 04:21 AM

Quote:

Maybe we should make use of something more accessible, like Voyager episodes? We can have creative rules too, like "List all the episodes in Season 3 in order, except those in which Janeway is shown drinking more than one cup of coffee"...

You realize that would be like, one episode.

Alexia 09-14-2004 07:24 AM

Quote:

Ooooh, I like the sound of somthing like that!

Quote:

I think I get this game now, though, it's a mental exercise like 7-Up. (That's the game where you take turns sounding off numbers in order, except you have to say "Up!" everytime you come to a number that has a 7 in it, or is a multiple of 7...)

And there was me thinking you meant the soft drink :wink:

As for this game...*has a flashback of being on the tube, on a hot day, this summer*

*runs kicking and screaming from game*

taya17 09-14-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
You realize that would be like, one episode.

That was just a hypothetical example :D

Chancellor Valium 09-14-2004 12:30 PM

OFF TOPIC!!!!! Can we stick to playing Mornington Crescent in this thread? You can find rules by typing "rules for Mornington Crescent" into google.
You can't go to seven sisters! We're playing Marquess of Pigswade rules! You can't approach seven sisters on the diagonal from the Picadilly or Waterloo /City lines!
Oh, and by the way, its not a "subway" it's the TUBE! T-U-B-E!!!

Alexia 09-14-2004 12:48 PM

Speaking of Subways, did you ever have a subway sandwich?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...sandwich :mrgreen: :wink:

Chancellor Valium 09-14-2004 04:01 PM

OFF TOPIC AGAIN!!!!!

Alexia 09-14-2004 05:12 PM

Speaking of Topics, does anyone know where you can but them? They are an English chocolate bar I haven't seen for yeeeeeeeears... :wink:

OK! Ok, I'll stop now :wink: :mrgreen: I couldn't resist :wink:

But seriously Valium, off topics happen :wink:

Chancellor Valium 09-14-2004 06:25 PM

Sorry. Been around one v. serious forum for a while now....

Xeroc 09-14-2004 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
You can't go to seven sisters! We're playing Marquess of Pigswade rules! You can't approach seven sisters on the diagonal from the Picadilly or Waterloo /City lines!

Of course I knew that, I was just testing you.

I'm actually going to start at...

Kingsbury

Draknek 09-14-2004 10:20 PM

Ah, clever. However, I think I'm going to have to double cross-trip along the second major line, taking me to Kenton and unfortunately blocking your plan.

Xeroc 09-14-2004 10:26 PM

A smart move, but, alas, that was not my plan after all!

I move to ...

Earl's Court!

Chancellor Valium 09-15-2004 09:53 AM

I block BOTH your moves, with Marylebone change for Clapham Common!

PointyHairedJedi 09-15-2004 03:10 PM

Ah, good old MC, eh? I started a game last week over at the TrekBBS.

A nice move, Vallium, but it leaves you vulnerable to a Blenhiem Double Switch (a preferred move, you may recall, of Sir William Edgemont), such as...

Neasden. :wink:

Alexia 09-15-2004 03:23 PM

Hmmm. I don't know what the frell is going on here. I may actually be forced to go and read the rules. :shock:

Xeroc 09-15-2004 05:43 PM

Tricky, very Tricky...

However, I do believe that move was also one that the experienced player Eleanor Ravenscourt found was easily foiled by a move to...

Green Park!

Chancellor Valium 09-15-2004 06:26 PM

You BOTH forget the Viscount Poddesby-Potter's-Bar maneuver, which easily bypasses both your attempts. And so (Along Penegar's Rules of Digression) move to
Tower Hamlets!

PointyHairedJedi 09-15-2004 09:50 PM

You're of course assuming that I was using a Blenhiem Double Switch. Perhaps, you see, I've been using a Black Maria Gambit - so named for its frequent use by the London Metropolitan Police Mornington Crescent Team (nicknamed Bow Street Irregulars), particularly at the 1957 All-Counties Police Championships, where led to a decisive victory over the RUC team, and gained them the cup. Of course, it's fallen into disuse in recent years - it's not really considered trendy enough anymore, despite being a real clincher in the right situations, but I like to break it out every now and then. Like now, for instance.

Stratford.

:D

SCMoll 09-16-2004 01:28 AM

A game of Mornington Crescent! I'm always up fro that! (And there's one at TrekBBS, PHJ? I must find that, too.)

The Black Maria Gambit? Give me a break. There's a good reason it's fallen into disuse-- it is easily trumped by Cross-switch Turkish Play, which not only places everything beyond Barking on the District Line in a state of spoon, but nullifies the starting conditions set up by Valium, allowing me to make my first move at:

Camden Town

Xeroc 09-16-2004 03:35 AM

Well, you see, while that may be true, I also can take advantage of your move (through the 63rd rule of Multiple Cross-switching) by taking a triple cross-switch along the Victoria, Northern, and Jubilee lines, then proceeding (according to the Zone 1 rule of spooti-anerisms) along the Waterloo & City Line to...

Bank.

:D

Chancellor Valium 09-16-2004 03:23 PM

Ho-ho! A Double switch?
Well, I'm afraid that puts you out of Shunt, Pointy!
And now Xeroc is in Nip, thus making my move....
Finchley Park.

SCMoll 09-16-2004 04:22 PM

Fah! I am sure you thought that a complicated, and devilishly clever move, but you are most certainly not aware of the 1987 extension to the High House Rules of Brittany, under which you have made a most grevious error. With both the states of nip and spoon currently active, you see, the Ninth Subjugate Appendix (3rd revision: 1996) allows me to create an antithetical norm across the game board to:

Perivale

Chancellor Valium 09-16-2004 06:37 PM

You forget, sir, that that effects to give me the ability to Spon-Deflect, from the 1274 competition - it was the winning move. I therefore move you, along a congression, to
Victoria change for Vladivostok HA!

Xeroc 09-16-2004 11:04 PM

Of course, normally, being in a state of nip and spoon would prevent one from this next move by the simple law of restructuring in the event of more than one possibile state of diagonal cross-switched rail lines in the event of a 5MV X Years ago event on that day when a player has moved along the Victoria line in the previous move and the river Thames was referred to in the starting rules, however, I can redistribute the effects of nip and spoon to the East London and Metropolitan lines to create an effect of spork along the Victoria line, through the effect of the second law of Marble Arch and tube directives, thereby shunting Valium away from his original plan, and foiling both PHJ and Scmoll by a move to...

Leicester Square.

Obviously. :D

SCMoll 09-17-2004 12:54 AM

By the Supreme Pontiff! How can this be? Both of those moves were so obvious, and yet I utterly failed to anticipate them and develop a counter-gambit. Well played, sirs, well played.

What I should have done was go to Hanger Lane, not Perivale, but I didn't think of, now did I? :roll: And now with the Victoria line in a state of spork, my options at this point are severely limited, since the Emergency Declaration of the 1802 Penmaenmawr Tournament doesn't allow biverse transduction, and that's really the only way out of this situation.

However, if we examine closely the rather vague wording of the Emergency Declaration of the 1804 Tywyn Tournament, we see that it does not quite anticipate the effects of the Laws of Marble Arch -- which were quite kindly activated by Xeroc -- thus allowing me to implement the Fourth Law, temporarily disengaging the state of spork for the next five moves. Such an implementation leaves exactly one biverse transduction open to me, so I shall have to play:

Bounds Green

Chancellor Valium 09-17-2004 10:00 AM

Then I shall play The Tube-Uningression Halpley Double Ruff, moving us to Llafairpwthgwyngeth!

catalina_marina 09-17-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripysox
Any chance of someone here explaining it in a non-comfusing way? Or perhaps I am just to thick to understand. Sounds fun though, I want to play! :)

Seconded. I read the "rules", but I don't get it. :roll:

Also, I hate it when people invite me to play a game, only saying it's simple, but won't explain the rules. :roll:

Alexia 09-17-2004 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalina_marina
Seconded. I read the "rules", but I don't get it. :roll:

Well, I...couldn't actually be bothered to read them :wink:

I know. I'm lazy :wink:

SCMoll 09-17-2004 05:57 PM

Well, I thought http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent did a fine job of explaining the idea. Personally, I did pick it up by watching the game in play. But if you really want to know, you could always PM me or something.

And as for my next move: Osterly

Ordinarily, I'd explain this as usual, but this move is do devilishly complicated and clever that it would take quite a bit of writing, and justice still wouldn't be done, so I'd just advise you all to check out page 71 of the Integrated Mornington Crescent Rulebook: Obverse Variant, 9th edition, 4th printing (German translation).

Xeroc 09-17-2004 07:33 PM

Well, Cat and Alexia, if you come to the IRC I'm sure I could explain it to you, as I couldn't possibly do so here.

Also, SCMoll, I also believe the Wikipedia Article does an excellent job of explaining at least the general aspects of the game, which is why I provided a link to it in my first post in this thread.

Also, a very clever move, and an excellent interpretation of the rules to get out of a sticky situation, and to maintain my advantage over the Eastern portion, (now that the effect of spork has been temporarly disengaged) I must call up a rather, no - extremely obscure gambit played by the late Sir Edward Paddington the III in the famous Monington Crescent game of 1383, where he singlehandedly defeated three consipring opponents attempting to create negative effects and remove his advantages, naturally, the full discussion of the moves would not fit in such a small space, so I will suffice it to say...

Canonbury.

Chancellor Valium 09-17-2004 08:12 PM

Huh. A child's move! I counter both of you along Stacklady's Congressional Pentagram Of Illumin - pushing both of you into states of Loop and Hoop, respectively. I therefore move to (along the Catholic themes)
Southwark, change for Lambeth North

Alexia 09-17-2004 08:32 PM

LMFAO! :lol: *holds sides*

Ok, I just read the thing Xeroc posted :wink: And re-read the thread from the beginning. :lol: :lol:

LOL! This is a cool game! You people are nuts :wink:

Now, I'm just a beginner at this, but I believe I can quite sucessfully block you by changing lines and platform skipping over to Embankment :mrgreen:

Chancellor Valium 09-17-2004 09:02 PM

Interesting choice. But a move to Aldgate, I'm afraid, scuppers that.....