The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   June 21 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=338)

Zeke 06-22-2003 02:52 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Day 7 of Alternate Universes Week[/i:post_uid0]

Hey everybody, Zeke here. Â (You could have figured that out from the fact that this update was a bit less than punctual, but I'm saying it anyway.) Â Today is essentially the conclusion of our third-birthday celebration, AU Week -- there's technically one more AUW update coming tomorrow, with the article I said I'd be writing, but the climax is today. Â Here's how we're concluding the festivities:
<ul>[*]First of all, as guessed in the forums, IJD GAF has done TAS's "The Counter-Clock Incident" for your reading pleasure.[*]Likewise for your reading pleasure, Derek Dean's oldest unpublished fiver: "Gillian of the Spirits." Â (As you'll have noticed, we held quite a few AU-related fivers back for this event.)[*]Sleapers concludes today with a super-long Part 7 from yours truly. Â There's the standard one cameo from a forumgoer, but you'll find references to... quite a few others.[*]Finally, what better way to round out a finale than with a finale? Â The final episode of [i:post_uid0]Star Trek: the Next Generation[/i:post_uid0], "All Good Things," is now my third contribution to 5MNG. Â Hope you enjoy it.[/list]As mentioned above, my final comments and acknowledgements for 5MV's big occasion will appear tomorrow. Â For now, though, I'd like to give a very special thank you to Kira, who got everything ready for me for the update today; thanks to her, there only had to be a few minutes between my finishing the writing and uploading the completed HTML. Â The lateness of today's update is in [i:post_uid0]every[/i:post_uid0] respect my fault -- it was waiting on no one but me. Â I am so the weakest link.[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 06-22-2003 03:10 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]It's 4AM in the morning.....but it's worth it.

[quote:post_uid0]Picard: We'll just have to be careful to use safe sectors.
Yar: The preferred term is safer sectors, sir. Sectors are never completely safe.[/quote:post_uid0]

Especially for that.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 06-22-2003 03:34 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Finding himself getting an odd feeling about it, Zeke picks up the yo-yo, measures three diameters' worth of string, and cuts the rest off. He then wraps it around the yo-yo and finds that it covers the circumference exactly once[/quote:post_uid0]

Oh, god...I think I know what's coming...

[quote:post_uid0]Zeke: Good God! Pi in this world is exactly three!

(Zeke's disturbed expression quickly changes to a look of anticipation.)

Zeke: Mmmmm... exactly three pies....
[/quote:post_uid0]

Argh!

[quote:post_uid0]Derek: Ouch. That's the end of him... no one's ever survived the canyon of Saar.

[/quote:post_uid0]

*protracted victory dance*

The who episode with the bazooka had me twitching helplessly. All the visual gags were well done.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 06-22-2003 04:03 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Great TAS fiver! My favorite part was:
[quote:post_uid0]Arex: The vessel is approaching at warp 36.
Kirk: TNG scale or TOS scale?
Spock: Don't worry Captain, it's impossible either way.
Kirk: Good. Lock a tractor beam on it.
Scotty: Sir?
Spock: Mr. Scott, it's possible in the TOS universe -- for a time.[/quote:post_uid0]

My favorite line from the very funny "Sliders" episode could have come from any of at least three different Star Trek series:
[quote:post_uid0]Quinn: I'm over -- (Wade walks through Quinn) -- oh, it's one of these episodes. Never mind.[/quote:post_uid0]

And the "All Good Things..." fiver was absolutely hilarious all the way through. One of the lines that really cracked me up was
[quote:post_uid0]Picard: Commander, this is Captain Picard. We'll be late picking you up, so while you're waiting, I'd appreciate it if you would find and destroy Wesley Crusher. Thank you.[/quote:post_uid0]
:lol: :lol: Also the three inter-fiver references, especially the ST:FC one.
[quote:post_uid0]Picard: Ah yes. My apologies; I've not yet mastered the difference between my manly girl and my girly man.
Past Worf: That is entirely understandaHEYYY![/quote:post_uid0]
:D
[quote:post_uid0]Future Data: Captain! Geordi! So good to see you again. How do you like my distinguished gray hair?
Picard: There's nothing distinguished about hair. Data, I need your help... I've been travelling in time.
Future Data: And you'd like me to help you break the habit?
Picard: It wouldn't be the first time. You were the one who taught me to drink coffee instead of tea.[/quote:post_uid0]
Is this from one of the [i:post_uid0]Back to the Future[/i:post_uid0] movies? Either way, it's funny, but I'm just wondering...

Just a few of the many parts of the final section of the Sleaper story that I got a kick out of:
[quote:post_uid0]Kira: IJD?
IJD: Yes?
Kira: Hammer.
(IJD hands Kira the Hammer of Smiting, with which she promptly smites Zeke)[quote:post_uid0]
Marc: How are we going to find IJD? It's a big state.
Zeke: Really? It looked so small on the map. And purple. Why isn't it purple?[/quote:post_uid0]
And I am absolutely [i:post_uid0]loving[/i:post_uid0] these board references. [img:post_uid0]http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/otn/realhappy/jump.gif[/img:post_uid0]

A thrilling end to the Sleaper...ummm...septology?[/color:post_uid0]

Nan 06-22-2003 04:56 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Great stuff, with one note:

Counter-Clock, final scene, April's line, "Why I aughta --" should be "Why I oughta --" I think.

Nan, watching [i:post_uid0]Amistad[/i:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Derek 06-22-2003 05:06 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Heh. Excellent stuff all around.

IJD, great fiver, as always.
[quote:post_uid0]Karla Five: (on screen) !taht potS
Kirk: Oh great, another easy-to-decipher, backwards language.
Uhura: It's okay, she really is speaking backwards.
Kirk: Oh. Then in that case, tell her to "nowd lleh eht wolS".[/quote:post_uid0]

Zeke, I couldn't stop laughing at both your AGT and your sleapers fiver. There were more references in both of those than I could possibly count. I especially loved all the inter-fiver touches in AGT.

[quote:post_uid0]Also the three inter-fiver references, especially the ST:FC one.[/quote:post_uid0]
I counted more than three. I counted numerous references to the fivers of "Endgame," [i:post_uid0]ST:FC[/i:post_uid0], "Encounter at Farpoint," "The Menagerie," and "Under the Night."

Other AGT favorite lines/references:
[quote:post_uid0]Data: Now approaching the Neutral Zone. Hey, is that a Class-2 comet?
Future Riker: Because he blames me for ruining his record. Deanna was his first love interest to die before marrying him.
Future Data: I believe he is referring to the anomaly. That is unimportant, however, since he is batty as Wayne Manor.[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

dsbs 06-22-2003 05:16 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ok, I don't know if I'm on a "first name" basis with anyone here, but I have to say: Zeke - the Sleaper and the All Good Things were absolutely hilarious. Aside from the Pi/pie, I loved (only gonna list one thing, otherwise there'd be too many to count):

Q: Well done, Jean-Luc. You've proven the potential of your species.
Picard: To understand complicated paradoxes?
Q: To cause cool explosions! Whee! Zow-bang! If you keep this up, you'll be in good with the Continuum for years to come.
Picard: Then the trial is over?
Q: The trial never ends. It's like the O. J. trial. But I'm confident that if you keep up the good work, you'll get off easy. And who knows? Maybe I'll show up now and then to do the "you must acquit" chant.

Had me laughing for five minutes.[/color:post_uid0]

entei 06-22-2003 07:27 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]:::glares:::

Even I'm appearing in this now. 8| Â er... I think I'd better run away now, before anyone notices. Â ;)

Aww... too late.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 06-22-2003 05:06 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Whee! What a week. Zeke, you outdid yourself on the AGT fiver.
[quote:post_uid0]Picard: Excellent. Time to take after a predecessor of mine. (ahem) KYOOOOOOOOOO!
Yar: Ow! My eyes!
----------------------
Picard: THERE ARE F--
Q: Don't even think about it.
-----------------------
Picard: Static warp shell.
Data: H--
Picard: Cats.
Data: Ah.
-----------------------[/quote:post_uid0]
:D :D
[quote:post_uid0]
Picard: How big is it?[/quote:post_uid0]
Half-expected a Pythonic twist to develop here.
[quote:post_uid0]
Future Riker: Worf's a wad.
-----
Future Worf: Oo, even better. Ram him instead.[/quote:post_uid0]
The whole Riker/Worf thing was great. :)

And if you rearrange the letters in "tachyon", you get "no yacht" -- whatever that means.[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 06-23-2003 03:28 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Guest"][color=#000000:post_uid0]And if you rearrange the letters in "tachyon", you get "no yacht" -- whatever that means.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]It means no Chakotay. Why, wasn't it obvious?

:D[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 06-23-2003 12:00 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmm. the Yacht thing was a pun with rearanging Chakotays name or something making it hilarious in one of Zeke's fivers a long time ago. Anyone remember what line that was from in what fiver? It's gonna drive me crazy now. :P[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 06-23-2003 01:36 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Celeste"]Hmm. the Yacht thing was a pun with rearanging Chakotays name or something making it hilarious in one of Zeke's fivers a long time ago. Anyone remember what line that was from in what fiver? It's gonna drive me crazy now. :P[/quote:post_uid0]
Funny you should say that....

[quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Doc:[/b:post_uid0] You lost to Icheb? Either you're going insane or he cheated.
[b:post_uid0]Tuvok:[/b:post_uid0] If you mix up the letters of "Chakotay," you get "oak yacht."
[b:post_uid0]Doc:[/b:post_uid0] Insanity it is.[/quote:post_uid0]
(It's from Five-Minute "Endgame," btw.)[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 06-23-2003 03:48 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Oak yacht! that's what it was :D lol Still makes me laugh.[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 06-24-2003 07:17 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]yep, the oak yatch, my all time favourite :)[/color:post_uid0]

Kristina 07-03-2003 06:41 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hello all... I haven't had much of a chance to visit the fora lately.

What can I say about June's updates... except for: "WOO HOO!" I still haven't read more than half of them, but if the other half is anywhere near the quality of what I've read so far, then I have plenty to look forward to.

All that, *and* the latest Harry Potter finally arrived (I'm a "kidult" and proud of it). :D[/color:post_uid0]

FatMatDuhRat 07-03-2003 06:53 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Heh-Heh... [i:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Oak Yacht.[/b:post_uid0][/i:post_uid0] I remember that.
:D Â :lol:
BTW, I found a pic of the [b:post_uid0]first tattoo[/b:post_uid0] I ever got. It was
through a link on [b:post_uid0]Penny Arcade[/b:post_uid0], and it's cool to see that
[b:post_uid0]Gabe[/b:post_uid0] finally got some [b:post_uid0]ink done on his body[/b:post_uid0] too.
:bigsmile:
Any body else in [b:post_uid0]5MV[/b:post_uid0] have ink on their bodies? If yes,
do you guys have a pic? (I do, write and ask me.)[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 07-04-2003 12:34 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Nuh-uh. I regard tatoos (with the exception of the one in Edinburgh) in the same light as any kind of body piercings, i.e. completely pointless.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan 07-04-2003 12:42 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Speaking as one who is having problems with her ear piercings on the right, I feel conflicted as to whether I should repay you for that attempted thwapping. ;p[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 07-04-2003 01:17 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Thanks for reminding me - I'd forgotten about that.

*Thwaps Nan with a rat on a stick*[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 07-04-2003 04:15 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Woo! Finally a subject where PHJ and I completely agree. Ear piercing is my taste's limit. (Actually, I count almost all cosmetics in the Ungood category as well, arguably to the point of neurosis....)[/color:post_uid0]