The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   antimatter radiation (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=981)

ualleverybody 02-12-2006 12:18 PM

antimatter radiation

Will someone plese explain the whole antimatter radiation buisness? I mean, I get that Janeway thinks it's stupid, but why. Is there a reson or is it just for a stupid gag's sake

richardson 02-12-2006 02:15 PM

Oh, foo.

All it is is normal radiation (Alpha, beta, gamma); just translated over to it's antimatter opposites.

Zeke 02-12-2006 05:28 PM

That, and antimatter radiation would destroy any matter it came in contact with. It wouldn't make you mutate, it would just kill you.

Sa'ar Chasm 02-12-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

All it is is normal radiation (Alpha, beta, gamma); just translated over to it's antimatter opposites.
Ie:
Alpha = a helium nucleus (two protons and two neutrons), which would become two neutrons and two antiprotons.
Beta = electron, becomes a positron (one wonders why Data's head doesn't explode, but let's not dwell on that).
Gamma = a photon, which isn't matter and so doesn't have an antiparticle.

So basically, alpha and beta antimatter radiation would be made of antimatter, which would be anhiliated before it radiated anywhere, and in the process produce gamma rays, which would be indistinguishable from gamma rays from other sources (more or less).

Keep in mind that my degree is in chemistry and not particle physics, so I may be wrong on some points.

/Mr. Science

Derek 02-12-2006 06:18 PM

I think we have a new candidate for the rather neglected Jokes and References section.

Zeke 02-12-2006 06:19 PM

More like an old candidate. Antimatter radiation is covered in the second one down. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
which would become two neutrons and two antiprotons

The neutrons would become antineutrons, no? (I'm guessing this was a typo.)

Derek 02-12-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
More like an old candidate. Antimatter radiation is covered in the second one down. :)

Hm. So much for that idea. But I was thinking more along the lines of *why* antimatter radiation is impossible.

whoiam 02-12-2006 06:35 PM

yeah, they would. Of course, the only way to prove they are anti-neutrons is by colliding them with real neutrons and watching the gamma rays it produces. Which means you have to score a direct hit with another atom's nucleus (and it can't be standard hydrogen, either). So, this one might reach you. If you were standing a couple of meters away and there weren't any particularly thick sheets of paper shielding you.

e of pi 02-12-2006 06:38 PM

I really liked that TJI. Heh.

Zeke 02-12-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Hm. So much for that idea. But I was thinking more along the lines of *why* antimatter radiation is impossible.

Oh, it's plenty possible, it just wouldn't last long. Anyway, you have a point. I'll add something about that to the existing entry.

(Welcome to the forum, ualleverybody! What's with the name?)

Chancellor Valium 02-12-2006 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, it's plenty possible, it just wouldn't last long. Anyway, you have a point. I'll add something about that to the existing entry.

(Welcome to the forum, ualleverybody! What's with the name?)

Surely it would in the esrevinU rorriM?

Zeke 02-12-2006 07:13 PM

Nope. In the esrevinU rorriM, antimatter radiation would be noitadiar rettamitna, which doesn't mean anything.

Sa'ar Chasm 02-12-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

The neutrons would become antineutrons, no?
No such animal. Antimatter is formed by reversing the charge on the particle (electron/positron). Neutrons are neutral, hence no charge, hence no reversal.

In mathematical terms, -0 = 0.

Zeke 02-12-2006 08:46 PM

WOW did you just put your foot in your mouth. You dare cite math to me? Especially when I'm the one of us who did his homework before posting?

e of pi 02-12-2006 08:54 PM

Ouch.

Derek 02-12-2006 08:59 PM

Would antiquarks be odos?

Xeroc 02-12-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Quote:

The neutrons would become antineutrons, no?
No such animal. Antimatter is formed by reversing the charge on the particle (electron/positron). Neutrons are neutral, hence no charge, hence no reversal.

In mathematical terms, -0 = 0.

Quote:

WOW did you just put your foot in your mouth. You dare cite math to me? Especially when I'm the one of us who did his homework before posting?

Yeah, Zeke's right on this one, Anitmatter isn't only a reversal of charge, that's just an effect of it. Additionally, the neutron is made of quarks (as Zeke's wikipedia link states) and the Anti-neutron is made of antiquarks, which all have an opposite charge, but since they still add up to zero overall, the antineutron still has 0 overall charge.

Oh, and a :D for Dereks comment, too. :)

danieldoof 02-12-2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

Would antiquarks be odos?

mwahahaha :wink:

Sa'ar Chasm 02-12-2006 11:53 PM

Quote:

WOW did you just put your foot in your mouth.

From the Desk of Sa'ar Chasm

Things to do:
Remove taste of shoe polish from tongue.
Return B.Sc.
Hide in cave for a decade or two.

e of pi 02-13-2006 01:33 AM

Good ideas.