The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fiver By Committee (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Block 18 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147)

Zeke 11-25-2003 10:25 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0](Hey, I forgot to give the Block 17 thread a subtitle! Â Dang.)

Before I start on this, about last block... I don't think we should be all that worried about how long it took. Â Remember, the previous two blocks went [i:post_uid0]really[/i:post_uid0] fast, so we're still making good progress. Â Also, Block 17 wasn't like the other slow blocks we've had -- it took a long time not because it was forgotten for weeks or something but because the ideas just kept coming. Â So let's not be too frustrated at how long it took. Â But let's not take that long with this one, either. :)

Morpheus and the group (all the [i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar[/i:post_uid0] crew but Tank and Dozer) enter the Matrix. Â Morpheus, Neo, Trinity, and Cypher get in a car and head off to see the Oracle, the wonderful Oracle of Oz. Â There are some small bits here we can probably skip -- Cypher dropping his cellphone in the garbage for the Agents to trace, Trinity not telling Neo what the Oracle said to her. Â On the elevator ride up, Morpheus and Neo discuss the Oracle; apparently she made the prophecy about the One, and told Morpheus he would be the one to find him.

In the anteroom, Neo waits with "the other Potentials." Â Rather than potential slayers, these are little kids doing classic psychic stuff like levitating blocks and bending spoons. Â The spoon-bender, a bald boy dressed like a Zen monk, tells Neo the secret is not to bend the spoon but to realize the truth -- that there is no spoon. Â When he sees this, he will see that it is not the spoon but himself that bends. Â Neo picks up a spoon and has [i:post_uid0]just[/i:post_uid0] managed to bend it when he's called in.

(Just a little sidebar... anyone heard the old Zen koan about the flag? Â It goes like this: Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said: 'The flag is moving.' Â The other said: 'The wind is moving.' Â The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by. He told them: 'Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving.'")

Let's say 2-3 scenes for this block. Â The synopsis is here, and it's worth reading because there's a whole conversation between Neo and Morpheus that didn't make it into the movie.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 11-25-2003 11:05 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I don't count two-week votes, Zeke. ;) Ah, well. New block, and all is well.

[quote:post_uid0]
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Hi, I'm doing a survey. What did the Oracle tell [i:post_uid0]you?[/i:post_uid0]
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] She told me I'm the Super Ohm. 'Cause, you see, when you scramble it all up -- well, anyway, I've got high hopes for you.
[b:post_uid0]Boy:[/b:post_uid0] She told me there is no spoon.
[b:post_uid0]Trinity:[/b:post_uid0] She said that I--
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Shush, Trin. Can't you see the boy's telling me about his spoon?[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Wow, look! There is... no... spoon!
[b:post_uid0]Spoon Boy:[/b:post_uid0] Very funny. Now give it back, will you?[/quote:post_uid0]

This is me at 1am:

[quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Spoon Boy:[/b:post_uid0] You must realize the truth. It is not the spoon that is bending - that's impossible.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] "Spoon" is fun to say. Spoon, spoon, spoon...
[b:post_uid0]Spoon Boy:[/b:post_uid0] ...there is no spoon. Then you will see that it is not the spoon that bends, but-- are you listening?
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Spoon! Spoon. Spooooooonnnn. Heh, heh.
[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 11-26-2003 12:48 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Neo: I guess bending spoons helps you focus your mental powers, huh?
Young Boy: "Focus my mental powers"? What are you talking about? We sell these to the tourists as souvenirs to keep this place going.[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 11-26-2003 01:00 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Neo: This is the Matrix? Looks greener than I remember.
((Or bluer. I've forgotten which tint goes where.))

Weird kid: There is no spoon.
Neo: Then what am I holding?
Weird kid: A spork.
Neo: Ah. *spork bends* Ow! I sprained a neuron.

((That kid's a boy?))

Morpheus: There were five before you.
Neo: What happened to them?
Morpheus: They burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp.

Possible Tick reference to Spoooooon!

Bah. My initial offerings are always sub-par, plus I always forget whatever brilliance I've dreamed up in advance.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 11-26-2003 03:12 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Morpheus: There were five before you.
Neo: What happened to them?
Morpheus: They burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]^ :lol: This is a great one.

Well, since Zeke already stole my planned Potential joke, I'll have to try something else....

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] What did the Oracle tell you?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] I don't know. Something something shanshu something apocalypse. I kinda zoned out and made up the prophecy about the One.

[b:post_uid0]Potential:[/b:post_uid0] Remember the important truth: There is no spoon.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] That sounds like its liable to get me killed.
[b:post_uid0]Potential:[/b:post_uid0] I hope so. I'm one of the next ones on the list to be the One.

And just to beat a dead horse one more time...

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] I can only show you the door. You have to go through it.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] And meet the powers that be?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] No, moron, the Oracle. Pay attention.

(So I've been watching a lot of Buffy and Angel recently.)

Anyway, my vote so far goes to Standback. I'm revising it since I don't like the anagram joke. Not that I really like my own, but here goes.

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] So what did the Oracle tell you?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] She told me I would stop slapping people with fishes.
[b:post_uid0]Boy:[/b:post_uid0] She told me there is no spoon.
[b:post_uid0]Trinity:[/b:post_uid0] She said that I--
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Shush, Trin. Can't you see the boy's telling me about his spoon?[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 11-26-2003 03:38 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Neo: Hey! You've got lots of spoons. Could I have one?
Spoon Boy: You've got a lot to learn, haven't you? There [i:post_uid0]is[/i:post_uid0] no spoon.
Neo: Hmph. You just don't want to give me one of your spoons. Meanie.

Neo: Could I have a spoon?
Spoon Boy: There [i:post_uid0]is[/i:post_uid0] no spoon. It's all a government conspiracy involving cell phones, garbage cans, and chauffeurs who turn traitor.
Neo: What did you say?
Spoon Boy: Oh, nothing.

I'm going to do this next one just because I can. :p

Neo: Wow, you've lot a got of spoon--er--
Boy: Isms can be tongue-twisters. But I got tired of them and now twist a lot of spoons instead.
Neo: Yeah, you do have a lot of spoons. That's what I was sighing to tray--er...[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 11-26-2003 03:42 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Personally, I think that Super Ohm joke is hilarious. But disregard me. I'm supposed to be impartial and stuff.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 11-26-2003 04:38 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I don't even [i:post_uid0]get[/i:post_uid0] the Super Ohm joke. But then, I'm tired.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 11-26-2003 07:22 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]He's also the Peru Mosh. Does that help? :D

I'm wondering whether the block could be improved by a line from Cypher, something like:

[b:post_uid0]Cypher:[/b:post_uid0] She told me I'd betray you all to-- um, never mind.

[b:post_uid0]Cypher:[/b:post_uid0] She told me to keep away from steaks. Stupid Oracle.

[b:post_uid0]Cypher:[/b:post_uid0] She told me that it's not that important to confirm every kill.

Ech. The problem being, I'm having difficulty finding one that's actually amusing...[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 11-26-2003 07:26 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]
[b:post_uid0]Boy:[/b:post_uid0] Look. I am bending the spoon. Stand in awe at the Power of the Mind.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Gee, thanks. Any Agents come after me, now I can bend spoons at 'em.[/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 11-26-2003 07:39 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]^ This is a great one.
[/quote:post_uid0]

You're just saying that because it's Monty Python.

Morpheus: You have to have faith, Neo. I have faith. Faith of...
Neo: If you say "Faith of the heart," I'm going home.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 11-26-2003 02:30 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Personally, I think that Super Ohm joke is hilarious.[/quote:post_uid0]
I agree, itÂ’s genius.

Not sure if it was meant that way, but I can't help thinking of 'resistance'[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 11-26-2003 06:06 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="catalina_marina"]Not sure if it was meant that way, but I can't help thinking of 'resistance'[/quote:post_uid0]
LOL! Â A whole level of the joke I didn't see![/color:post_uid0]

Pteryx 11-26-2003 06:09 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Neo: So this Oracle at Delphi --
Morpheus: New York.
Neo: -- whatever, she's going to tell me that I'm the One now? What did she tell you?
Morpheus: That I would be the one to find the One.
Neo: My head hurts.

Spoon Boy: Realize the truth.
Neo: The truth?
Spoon Boy: That there is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon Boy: Please stop echoing everything I say minus one word as a question.
Neo: Stop echoing everything you say minus one word as a question?[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 11-26-2003 09:46 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]LOL! A whole level of the joke I didn't see! [/quote:post_uid0]

You see, whenever my literature teachers go on about the author's O-so-subtle hints, it's these kind of incidents I remember. :)

But I'm glad the joke is appreciated.

I liked Pteryx's Spoon Boy block above. Pteryx - any particular reason you're holding onto your "guest" status so avidly? We definitely want to see more of you around. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Pteryx 11-27-2003 05:23 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Standback"][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]But I'm glad the joke is appreciated.[/quote:post_uid0]

Count me in as someone else who really likes the Super Ohm joke, BTW! I just tossed my original version of that block up because I felt it'd be good to get more ideas out at this stage. :) Standback's joke also happens to fit nicely with Morpheus's "I like anagrams" line much earlier in the fiver.

[quote:post_uid0]I liked Pteryx's Spoon Boy block above. Pteryx - any particular reason you're holding onto your "guest" status so avidly? We definitely want to see more of you around. ;)[/quote:post_uid0]

Why, thank you on both counts! :) As for why I haven't registered... well, I haven't seen a real reason to. Any particular benefits to it aside from getting an avatar and being able to edit your own posts? -- Pteryx[/color:post_uid0]

Pteryx 11-27-2003 05:32 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Neo: Hi, I'm doing a survey. What did the Oracle tell [i:post_uid0]you?[/i:post_uid0]
Morpheus: She told me I'm the Super Ohm. 'Cause, you see, when you scramble it all up -- well, anyway, I've got high hopes for you.
Cypher: She said I was a nothing! Can you believe that?!
Trinity: She said that I--
Neo: Hey, my favorite noodle house![/color:post_uid0]

Standback 11-27-2003 08:51 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]As for why I haven't registered... well, I haven't seen a real reason to. Any particular benefits to it aside from getting an avatar and being able to edit your own posts? [/quote:post_uid0]

Well... nothing overly major... The color scheme's nicer, you can see more easily which posts are new and which you've already read... And being able to edit your posts is actually a major plus for me. It's mainly the feeling of some sort of distinction between "yeah, that guy's a member" and "oh, he's a guest." :)[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 11-27-2003 09:14 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]And certain people can put a title just below your name. I'm not sure whether that's a plus or a minus, but still. :p[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 11-27-2003 12:59 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0](Hey, I forgot to give the Block 17 thread a subtitle! Dang.)[/quote:post_uid0]

Block 18 as well, I believe. Whoops. :p[/color:post_uid0]