The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Link Thread (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1377)

mudshark 02-27-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 76051)
Aisde from that Disraeli quote...

I'll get this... one day. Just not yet.

Chancellor Valium 02-28-2008 12:36 PM

The Best Is Yet To Come - Trek style...

Nate the Great 02-28-2008 09:50 PM

Great episode. Especially love how Julian insists on "stirred, not shaken."

mudshark 02-29-2008 06:02 PM

Have I mentioned the Bunny comic here yet?

Nate the Great 02-29-2008 11:10 PM

Somebody has GOT to invent a smiley that blinks twice and says "that's random," then blinks twice again and so on in a loop.

I went back a few dozen comics and my impression didn't waver. A few were funny, but mostly I was just "how bizarre is THAT?"

Nate the Great 03-01-2008 02:30 AM

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_keyboards.shtml

Must relate this story from Computer Stupidities, because you Canadians in the audience might enjoy it (or get enraged by it, whatever).

"Back in the good old pre-PC days we sold a system that required the user to hit Ctrl-A in order to sign on. We sold one to some outfit in Canada. Well, trying to get them going over the phone took an hour. We'd say, 'Hit Ctrl-A,' and they'd say, 'Ok, we hit Ctrl, eh? And nothing happened, eh?'"

PointyHairedJedi 03-03-2008 09:13 PM

http://garfieldminusgarfield.tumblr.com/

It is, if you haven't run across it yet, Garfield without the Garfield in it. Amusing yes, but also distinctly unsettling.

Nate the Great 03-03-2008 09:46 PM

I'm not sure if those are better than the strips edited with Garfield's lines cut out or not. When Garfield is there you can imagine all sorts of things going through his head, from incomprehension to exasperation and back. But just Jon running around like an idiot, that's what we call "sad and pathetic."

NAHTMMM 03-05-2008 01:21 AM

On that note, has Permanent Monday been mentioned here yet?

PointyHairedJedi 03-06-2008 08:08 PM

Don't believe it has, no. Nice linkage there. ;)

mudshark 03-07-2008 03:17 PM

Hey, Zeke, do they have this at Math Camp?

Nate the Great 03-07-2008 10:28 PM

It's Slang Time!

"Groovy greets, gates! Frilly filly's steady shmoe is ready to blow...the cuddle buggy's perkin' chuggy an' the pash pit's sizzling huggy!"

I was going to provide a translation and ask for alternatives, but that's leaning into PNQ territory and I'm trying to stop doing these Link/PNQ crossovers.

Nate the Great 03-08-2008 12:50 PM

Strange Candy returns to Wikipedia!

Shameless plug time. I'm thrilled that OO (that's Okashina Okashi, long story) has returned to the big W, and highly encourage the reading of this webcomic to anyone who has yet to live the Strange Candy experience! Anime/manga obsession helpful but not required. :)

PointyHairedJedi 03-09-2008 09:50 PM

This is possibly a mistake and a colossal timesink, but that sounds strange enough to be worth checking out.

Zeke 03-09-2008 11:13 PM

Nate, your timing is incredible. I reread this thread the other day and noticed something: way back on page one, I never did explain where I had made a reference to Okashina Okashi on this site. I was just coming here now to finally <a href="../top10/43.html">link you to it</a>. (It's not <a href="../enterprise/fiver.php?ep=azatiprime">here</a>, although that would have been a good guess, considering that the Hoshi in OO really is nicknamed Ho-chan.)

I'm way behind on OO; one of these days I'll go through it all again. I'll appreciate a lot more of the anime/Japan-based humour now. Either way, there are two things I owe to OO: occasionally catching the words "strange" and "candy" in subbed anime, and being completely unable to take <a href="../zeke/nyarr.jpg">this comic panel</a> seriously.

Note for Megatokyo fans: the war between Dom and Ed is actually waged in this comic too. I don't remember the details.

mudshark: Nope. We used to have fencing, though.

Nate the Great 03-10-2008 12:28 AM

Go Orion!

I never really thought of calling Hoshiko Hoshi. She was always Ho-chan to me. Now here's a few classic Strange Candy quotes!

Petra: We’re headed towards outer space. We can’t BREATHE in outer space!
Ellie: Don’t worry! Ulrich once told me that space here has plenty of air. It’s what makes all those space battle explosions sound so cool!
Takeshi: We’re going to DIE!

Bearded Quest Merchant: How may I help you?
Lycidia: We want to go on a quest.
Bearded Quest Merchant: For the Holy Grail?
Lycidia: Will that involve fame and fortune?
Bearded Quest Merchant: No, usually just meeting rude people with French accents and killer rabbits.
Lycidia: Then no.

Zeke 03-10-2008 08:07 PM

Spider-Man, Spider-Man... does whatever a... huh... where am I?

Nate the Great 03-12-2008 05:20 AM

The Dark Secret of the Kool-Aid Man

You'll never see him the same again.

mudshark 03-13-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 76124)

Huh. Boondocks much? (I know the names at the bottom are different, but they've pretty well nicked McGruder's look.)

Nate the Great 03-13-2008 10:55 PM

I've never read Boondocks, I just liked this particular comic.

Nate the Great 03-14-2008 12:31 AM

Star Trek: Zelda

As if life wasn't bizarre enough. :)

PointyHairedJedi 03-14-2008 05:00 PM

No, I feel it's exactly bizarre enough. :)

Nate the Great 03-14-2008 08:35 PM

Yeah, but is bizarre a good or bad thing?

mudshark 03-15-2008 04:05 PM

It can be.

Nate the Great 03-15-2008 10:30 PM

It can be good, or it can be bad?

Nate the Great 03-16-2008 04:37 AM

Demotivational Posters

For those of you who've seen one too many motivational posters, here's the remedy! Trust me, they're funnier than they sound.

mudshark 03-16-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 76168)
It can be good, or it can be bad?

Indubitably.

Zeke 03-16-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 76133)
(I know the names at the bottom are different, but they've pretty well nicked McGruder's look.)

As long as they don't nick anything else of McGruder's, they'll be okay in my boo--

Wait a minute. AppleGeeks? Forget it!

Nate the Great 03-17-2008 03:21 AM

Star Trek/Friends

Great music video of NextGen clips set to the Friends theme song "I'll Be There for You," featuring just about every couple in NextGen, from Picard/Crusher to Data/Yar to Picard/Lwaxana to everything in between!

Nate the Great 03-21-2008 10:03 AM

Harley and Ivy win one!

A cute comic. It was inevitable that Batman would use his fancy equipment on the wrong clue for once, I suppose.

Oh, and yeah, I am a massive Harley and Ivy fan. Check out Gotham Girls if you want more DCAU-style action starring our favorite femme fatales.

Nate the Great 03-22-2008 08:11 AM

Some things never get old

Another month, another webcomic. Real Life this time. Note the not-so-hidden 42. Oh, and pseudo-PNQ time: which movie is she watching? I want to say...well, I want to say The Empire Strikes Back, but that's clearly wrong. Oh so clearly wrong.

Nate the Great 03-22-2008 10:26 AM

Emergency Geek Hologram

I'm so very, very sorry. I really, REALLY wanted to NOT post two Real Life strips on the same day, really! But when I stumbled across this one, I knew that I just HAD to post it!

Tony: It sort of got me to thinking...
Greg: That's never a good thing.

A sentiment that you're no doubt applying to me right now. ;)

PointyHairedJedi 03-22-2008 01:15 PM

Heh. Now one of those I want. :D

Chancellor Valium 03-23-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 76217)
Some things never get old

Another month, another webcomic. Real Life this time. Note the not-so-hidden 42. Oh, and pseudo-PNQ time: which movie is she watching? I want to say...well, I want to say The Empire Strikes Back, but that's clearly wrong. Oh so clearly wrong.

The lines would seem to indicate Return of the Jedi. :)

Nate the Great 03-23-2008 11:21 PM

I suppose simple process of elimination would leave Jedi as the last movie standing.

Nate the Great 03-24-2008 03:33 AM

Trekkie vs. Trekker

I've always been pro-Trekkie, so this had to amuse me.

Nate the Great 03-26-2008 07:45 AM

Scotty and Chekov mourn Kirk

A deleted scene from Generations. Although I can see how a simple "Was anyone in here?" "Aye," and pan out to space made more sense structurally, this little scene seems more ... human ("whoever said the human race was logical?") to me. Poor Chekov.

Nate the Great 03-27-2008 08:49 PM

Is this thing just the coolest, or what?

PointyHairedJedi 03-27-2008 09:36 PM

Second coolest, maybe. I've yet to see anything that could truly top a robot zombie ninja stripper.

Nate the Great 03-29-2008 10:10 AM

The Zelda Dance!

I can't find the words to describe this. Just watch and you'll understand.