The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sa'ar Chasm, Master of Science (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1313)

Sa'ar Chasm 11-15-2006 09:20 PM

Sa'ar Chasm, Master of Science

Bite my shiny M.Sc.! Woooo!

My defence went well. I was told I did a good job, and one of my committee members made a point of shaking my hand on his way out the door and telling me that I made a strong defence. Turns out all that nervous worrying I did in the week leading up to it wasn't necessary.

I am now officially an ex-grad student. I've just typed that sentence, but it hasn't really sunk in. Maybe once I do the corrections required by the committee and submit the final final version, it will.

So, yeah, go me. *beams*

e of pi 11-15-2006 09:54 PM

Nice! What was it on, if a first-semester high school chem student would understand, Oh Great One.

mudshark 11-15-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 71208)
My defence went well. I was told I did a good job, and one of my committee members made a point of shaking my hand on his way out the door and telling me that I made a strong defence. Turns out all that nervous worrying I did in the week leading up to it wasn't necessary.

I suspect that if you had found a way to skip the "nervous worrying" part, there would have come into play a little-known and seldom-invoked clause that would disallow the whole schmeer. ("What? No sweat?! Oh, no, no, no -- I'm terribly sorry, but that just won't do! Quite against the rules, don't you see?")

Well-done, Sirrah! http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...s/thumbsup.gif

Sa'ar Chasm 11-15-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

What was it on, if a first-semester high school chem student would understand, Oh Great One.
Magnetic Field Enhancement of the Rate of Photogeneration of Silver Nanoparticles.

Basically, I take a bunch of chemicals, shine a light on them, and they turn yellow. If I do it while said chemicals are sitting between the business ends of an electromagnet, it turns yellow faster.

Quote:

"What? No sweat?! Oh, no, no, no -- I'm terribly sorry, but that just won't do! Quite against the rules, don't you see?"

Well-done, Sirrah!
Are you sure you're not British? *g*

Thanks.

Derek 11-16-2006 03:16 AM

Congrats, Sa'ar. An important step on your way to master of the universe.

Nate the Great 11-16-2006 04:06 AM

McKay: Now, see, sadly I understood that. Where did those Saturday nights go?

Just an old standby when people start talking geekspeak.

It is really a bit sad how many theses can sound simple when condensed down to one sentence but are in fact insanely complicated.

The business ends of an electromagnet. Oh, so you put it in the highway between downtown and the suburban branch? :)

Um, just curious, but why would you want to turn particles yellow faster? Because they're there?

Sa'ar Chasm 11-16-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

It is really a bit sad how many theses can sound simple when condensed down to one sentence but are in fact insanely complicated.
114 pages and counting. It'll increase when I do my corrections and put in the various bits my committee requires.

Quote:

The business ends of an electromagnet. Oh, so you put it in the highway between downtown and the suburban branch?
Something like that, yeah.

Quote:

Um, just curious, but why would you want to turn particles yellow faster? Because they're there?
Other people can make nanoparticles in anywhere from tens of minutes to hours. I can do it in 30 seconds...without the magnet. With the magnet, saving a couple of seconds really doesn't make that much of a difference, but other systems may benefit from it. The other benefits are that I can do it at room temperature and not get aggregated agglomerates.

Nate the Great 11-17-2006 01:16 AM

Yikes. 114 pages. Longest paper I ever wrote was twenty, and it wasn't even scientific. I suppose grad school will cure me of that.

Aggregated agglomerates. Somehow drunk corporate mascots slugging it out come to mind.