The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The perfect vacation (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1337)

Nate the Great 01-04-2007 02:08 PM

The perfect vacation

Since I'm going to go halfway across the country in a few months for some family business (and partially an excuse for sightseeing :)), I've been wondering what my perfect vacation would be. Any opinions? If you had all the money in the world, all the time off you need, where would you go? In fact, I'll even create two categories: Individual and Group. My tastes definately go in different directions depending on whether people are occompaning me or not. By myself, certain destinations are better because the sightseeing locations are more geared toward individual wandering around. You see something you're interested in, you change your itinerary, you Boldly Go off that way. In a group, other tourist priorities take over. You can enjoy certain things better as a group.

Case in point: a few months back I went with a group to one of those cornmaze/hayride/misc. harvest-themed attraction places. This is definately a lot of fun as a group, but by yourself, I'd get bored and depressed really fast. On the other hand, wandering around the riverfront of a city in the early morning is amazing by myself. You can just marvel at the sights, stop for minutes at a time to look at whatever you want, etc.

So what's your Perfect Two Vacations?

Alexia 01-04-2007 07:53 PM

The Maldives. Hands down. In one of those hut things that goes over the sea and you can see the sea underneath the floor.

If I ever have a honeymoon I'm going there.

I don't sightsee. I beach-see.

Nate the Great 01-04-2007 10:36 PM

The old adage about one man's heaven being another man's heck comes to mind. I enjoy the surface of water; it's great. One of my great pleasures is canoeing across the upteen lakes in northern Minnesota. Underneath? Um, no. There's all sorts of stuff down there I'd rather be blissfully ignorant about.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Or your hut. Whatever. :)

Zeke 01-05-2007 04:12 AM

Oh, I'll tell you what floats her boat.

Buoyancy.

(What were you expecting, thermodynamics?)

Nate the Great 01-05-2007 02:06 PM

I was expecting a counterjoke that was positioned as far from snide as possible, but I guess we can't get everything we expect, or even everything we register for. :)

Well, since no one's asked what my perfect vacation is, I guess I'll have to usurp the podium myself. My ideal solo vacation is a week or so wandering around the Smithsonian. When the traveling version visited Minnesota awhile back, I went on a field trip, and that collection was barely scratching the surface. Imagine what I could see in a week at the real thing!

Celeste 01-05-2007 05:45 PM

Well, as long as the stipulations say I'd be absolutly totaly safe I'd head to Africa on a safari, or visit Inca monuments in Peru. But seing as how it's not toaly safe to be travelin' to those parts of the world, that may have to hold off for a bit. :/

Chancellor Valium 01-05-2007 07:02 PM

A month in bed, with a laptop, my games and DVDs, good food and drink, broadband internet access and a feather pillow.

Sa'ar Chasm 01-05-2007 07:50 PM

What's a vacation?

Gatac 01-05-2007 09:34 PM

Some type of breakfast cereal, I think.

Gatac

Nate the Great 01-06-2007 02:15 AM

A vacation is something you agonize about how you're going to find the time and money for beforehand, then enjoy immensely during it, then take a bunch of photos that you fail to organize properly into albums later. I thought everyone knew that.

I don't recall any safety stipulations. :)

Okay, CV, for the purposes of this discussion I'm evicting you from your bed. You have to cross state lines. Where do you go?

Sa'ar Chasm 01-06-2007 02:48 AM

Ah, the mythical substance "money". I've heard of this.

mudshark 01-06-2007 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatac (Post 71809)
Some type of breakfast cereal, I think.

Wouldn't that be farina?

Gatac 01-06-2007 09:41 AM

Farin Urlaub, more likely.

Also, Sa'ar, I'll do you one better: I've seen money. It was small and fuzzy and it squealed when I tried to touch it. Then it bounded away into the Caribbean ocean and swam into the sunset.

Gatac

mudshark 01-06-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatac (Post 71813)

Could have been. I get them mixed up, sometimes.

Alexia 01-06-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 71803)
Oh, I'll tell you what floats her boat.

Buoyancy.

(What were you expecting, thermodynamics?)

*groans*

MaverickZer0 01-06-2007 08:46 PM

Alas, my ideal vacations are largely impossible, as they involve dimensional/interstellar/time travel. Last I checked, we didn't have any of those. But I'd probably settle for a trip to Japan or Russia. I have no idea why Russia. I just want to see it.

And maybe knock a few chunks off so we can take our rightful place as largest country in the world! XD

Sa'ar Chasm 01-06-2007 09:06 PM

*smuggles arms to the Kamchatkan Separatist Front*

Nate the Great 01-07-2007 01:52 AM

"Rightful place?" If you want American supremacy, I'd rather start with smaller, more realistic goals like universal adoption of the dollar and English as the official language of government and economics. I gave up on Americans adopting the metric system a long time ago. :)

MaverickZer0 01-07-2007 09:36 AM

One teensy problem with that.

I'm Canadian. I don't want AMERICAN supremacy.

We're the second largest country in the world, not you guys, dammit!

Chancellor Valium 01-07-2007 04:27 PM

II: Impossible.

I don't like the US, and Mexico is far to hot for a proper holiday.