The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   April 23 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1055)

Zeke 04-23-2006 08:41 PM

April 23

Here are the next two of Nate's DS9 fivers, chosen for their interrelatedness: "His Way" and "The Sound of Her Voice." Expect to see many, many more of them. (He's Nate. It's what he does.)

In other news, the Trek community is hopping over the news that J. J. Abrams has been announced as director of Star Trek XI. I don't think a newspost is quite enough to convey how spectacularly I don't care, so look for an update on the subject.

Hejira 04-23-2006 11:20 PM

...so you double-posted to convey your lack of careness?

Nice. :D

Zeke 04-23-2006 11:33 PM

No, I double-posted because I thought I was editing the second time. But I really, really don't care.

Derek 04-24-2006 02:58 AM

I don't care who's directing it; I'm much more wary of the concept.

Zeke 04-24-2006 04:58 AM

Don't be. Don't care. It's not going to happen. If anything announced at this stage actually makes it to the final product, it'll be coincidence or witchcraft.

Scooter 04-24-2006 06:22 AM

Witchcraft -- there's a concept for a Star Trek feature. Of course, we'd probably end up with Sub Rosa: The Movie.

Nate the Great 04-24-2006 03:06 PM

To return to my fivers... (ahem :? )

Here's a micropoll for you guys who've read His Way. As originally written, Vic's punchline is "I'm from the forties, it's what I do." I thought that Vic is from the forties. Zeke corrected it, and I suppose he does have a point because Vic does reference JFK at one point and seems familiar with the world of Our Man Bashir, which is definitely sixties. However, I can't help but peg Vic's personality as being a little older than that. Were there really gangsters, protection rackets, more jazz than rock, etc. in the sixties? Besides, I think the technology was a BIT more advanced in the sixties than that. For that matter, time after time we've seen Vic exist in both "his" timeframe and everything since then. He's got a good grasp of current events, even if the vocabulary and metaphors are limited to his own. Who's to say he can't use sixties references while still "living" in the forties?

So, what's your guys' opinion? When in the world is Vic Fontaine?

evay 04-24-2006 03:23 PM

He's very big band, swing, Rat Pack era -- totally the Forties. I don't remember him referencing Kennedy but I'll take your word for it. I wouldn't put him any later than 1955 at the absolute outside. Remember also that Sisko and Kasady have a squabble about how blacks were treated in the era in which Vic is set, and by the Sixties there would have been some rumble of the civil rights movement.

Lostoyannaya 04-24-2006 03:34 PM

Oooh, I wonder if the movie will explain all of the timeline errors that took place between Enterprise and Star Trek TOS? Clarify the whole "Temporal Cold War" thing. Make it so that Malcolm didn't invent Red Alert; hell, even go as far as having Spock explain why Pon Farr is suddenly taboo!

~~Lostoyannaya :mrgreen:

Sa'ar Chasm 04-24-2006 03:40 PM

James Darren - the guy playing Vic - actually was a singer in the 60s (he had a song called Goodby Cruel World in 1961) and hung out with the Rat Pack. Apparently Sinatra (or possibly someone else - my DS9 book with all this stuff in it is back in Kelowna) would call everyone Pallie, which is why Vic says that.

So, yeah, 60s.

Edit: fixed typos

Zeke 04-24-2006 04:52 PM

I guess I should have been clearer before... there is no debate. In "It's Only a Paper Moon," Nog asks for a calculator and Vic hands him a pencil, saying, "It's 1962, kid. What do you want from me?" Later, in "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang," Sisko also cites the year specifically as 1962.

I was surprised too. I would have guessed an earlier year. But he is from the sixties.

Zeke 04-24-2006 05:09 PM

April 24

Today I head back to Waterloo, so there won't be an update.

Nor will there be satisfaction.

And I try, you know.

admiral sab 04-24-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Dax: Are you so oblivious that you haven't noticed the soap opera between Odo and Kira?
Bashir: I've been obsessing about having fun with Vic. Besides, I hate soap operas.
Do we get bonus points for knowing exactly which soap opera "Kira" was in for real? ;)

(I have no life, seriously.- it's Another World, catch it on Soapnet)

Oh and Janeway started on a soap too. Just so you know.

And Paris and B'Elanna, and ok I could go on and on....

(and Q)

Sab, running away fast...

ETA: psst: by the way: great fiver!

Nate the Great 04-24-2006 11:06 PM

So I'm not the only one. Thanks, folks.

Odo complains to Vic about how Kira is going out with Shakaar. Vic asks who that is, and Odo goes in about how he's this big governmental leader of Bajor and stuff, Vic goes "I don't care if he's JFK, ..." showing how he knows about Kennedy and other 60's stuff.

Dragon Frost 04-29-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Oh and Janeway started on a soap too. Just so you know
Was that before or after the "good" Captain acted in the truely maddening "Remo:- Armed And Dangerous"

Or should this sort of stuff have its own thread "what they did before" or something?

Chancellor Valium 04-30-2006 12:04 PM

I'm gonna say that Vic comes from the 50's. His singing is much too croonish for the forties/ he's not pretentious enough for the sixties, and those songs sure as hell ain't earlier than about 1940 at the earliest, IMO.

Zeke 04-30-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
I'm gonna say that Vic comes from the 50's.

You CAN'T. Arrgh. Please read my post about this earlier in the thread.

Asky 04-30-2006 09:47 PM

Well, I'm gonna say Vic's from the 1830's...

Derek 05-01-2006 12:47 AM

I'd put him around the 2370s.

Quote:

Were there really gangsters, protection rackets, more jazz than rock, etc. in the sixties?
Ever read/seen The Godfather 1 & 2?

Sa'ar Chasm 05-01-2006 01:31 AM

Quote:

Were there really gangsters, protection rackets, more jazz than rock, etc. in the sixties?
Rock 'n roll was the music of the youngsters (and Ed Sullivan and Dick Clark). The old fogies still listened to the crooners.

Such is my understanding, at least.