The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Trek quote game (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1615)

Nate the Great 09-11-2017 11:45 PM

Softball time.

"We are not in the mood, Herbert!"

Zeke 09-12-2017 12:07 AM

That's a TOS name if I ever heard one -- and my knowledge of TOS has large gaps. Let's hope someone else recognizes it...

Flying Gremlin 11-25-2017 09:33 AM

If you don't know what a Herbert is, you are one Zeke.

TOS "The Way To Eden"

...not even waiting for confirmation on that one. Might be a little arrogant of me, but whatever eh.

"You do understand that being afraid of everything means you learn nothing."

Nate the Great 12-18-2017 01:26 AM

Oh look, a Discovery quote hit a brick wall. Moving on...

"Kiss the girl, get the key. They never taught me that in X."

Zeke 01-01-2018 11:39 PM

Ah! That one I can do. It's Garak from "Our Man Bashir". (X is probably the Obsidian Order, but that's not required.)

Let's see... okay, here's one with a little story attached that I'll tell when it's solved.

"We have no great cause to desire the approach of day."

evay 01-02-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 81176)
Let's see... okay, here's one with a little story attached that I'll tell when it's solved.

"We have no great cause to desire the approach of day."

That's from Henry V, right before the Battle of Agincourt. I just watched the Hollow Crown version of that yesterday. Spectacular.

Was it on Trek also? I got nothin'.

Zeke 01-02-2018 03:11 PM

<i>Man,</i> that was fast! And considering how slow this thread usually is, I'll make an exception and count that as a win even though it named only the source, not the episode that used it. TNG's "The Defector" opened with a scene from <i>Henry V</i> that Data was taking part in on the holodeck at Picard's direction (he thinks Shakespeare will give Data a window on the human condition, as he has for so many actual humans). What's particularly fun about that scene is that Patrick Stewart is in it twice! He plays both Picard and Michael Williams, and using Shakespeare in the first place was his idea (unsurprisingly, given his background). They had originally planned to do another Sherlock Holmes scene, but the Conan Doyle estate had taken notice after Season 2 and gave TNG some legal trouble that took till Season 6 to sort out.

Now here's the story I promised. Way back in 2001, when I went to Toronto Trek (and wrote a <a href="http://www.fiveminute.net/features/conreport.html">con report</a>), one of the events was a Babylon 5 quote contest. It worked much like this thread, but playing for points instead of the right to choose the next quote (the organizers did that). I wasn't there the whole time, but I caught the end -- and it proved to be my finest hour.

The final quote was as follows: "That does it! This is the very, very last straw! I demand to know who's responsible for this!"

We must have been guessing for ten minutes. I made at least two wrong guesses myself. There were at least 20 devout fans in the room, B5 was only five seasons long, and this single, memorable-sounding quote was just <i>creaming</i> us. The organizers had warned us it was hard, and they dropped hints that we were thinking about it wrong, but we got nowhere.

None of us wanted to stop when time ran out (except the organizers, who were clearly getting frustrated), but there was no choice. And THEN! It suddenly hit me -- the only thing it could possibly be. It was <i>Daffy friggin' Duck!</i> One of the main characters (my favourite), Michael Garibaldi, is a big Looney Tunes fan, and since B5 was a Warner Bros. show, they were able to show him watching old Daffy shorts in a couple of episodes. One of them was the classic "Duck Amuck", the epic battle between Daffy and his cartoonist... which ends with him demanding to know who's behind the brush (Bugs, of course), and there's the quote.

I got the episode wrong. They let me have it anyway. :D

evay 01-02-2018 06:39 PM

ooh, I'm up!

"Captain... I've failed you."

Nate the Great 01-31-2018 03:58 PM

Thread died again.

Chakotay in "The Void."

"I'm looking forward to a good non-reconstituted meal."

evay 02-01-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 81221)
Thread died again.

Chakotay in "The Void."

if "Chakotay in The Void" is your guess, it's incorrect.

Nate the Great 02-10-2018 11:28 PM

If you were trying to quote "In A Mirror Darkly", that appears to be "I failed you, Captain."

evay 02-15-2018 11:32 AM

huh, so it is. Obviously it's been too long since I've seen it. :) You're up!

Nate the Great 02-19-2018 08:29 PM

As I said a few weeks ago...

Quote:

Nate the Great 03-17-2018 11:15 PM

As we say over at TVTropes...bump!

Nate the Great 07-06-2020 01:15 AM

Thread, arise, arise!

McCoy in "Arena."

"You're going to hit them with a box?"