The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Trek quote game (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1615)

evay 06-28-2012 04:50 PM

"In Purgatory's Shadow" it is. :)

Zeke 06-28-2012 08:58 PM

Yep. But I just now noticed evay had <i>her</i> title wrong too... the stegosaurus time loop is in "Future Tense", not "Cease Fire". Since her post otherwise made it clear that she had the right episode, and she got to post the next quote, the same should go for Sa'ar now. But from now on, it's title-way or the hightle-way.

So the current quote is the one Sa'ar posted earlier: "I hate temporal mechanics."

(Wowbagger: They were there because Garak had decoded what turned out to be a distress call from Tain. Did you make that pic?)

evay 06-29-2012 12:00 AM

*doh* I was hoping you hadn't caught that before I fixed it. :) But yes, I screwed up.

Wowbagger 06-29-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 78592)
(Wowbagger: They were there because Garak had decoded what turned out to be a distress call from Tain. Did you make that pic?)

Ah, yes. Sadly, no.

Of course, many starship captains have complained about time travel, but I don't remember anyone referring to the field as "temporal mechanics" until after TNG ended. My money's on Janeway, simply because VOY had so much time travel and Janeway complained about time travel episodes more than once.

"Shattered"? Next guess... "Year of Hell, Part I"?

Zeke 06-29-2012 07:18 AM

Nope. Remember, Sa'ar's VOY quotient is low. (I'm disqualified this round; I looked the quote up to see if it was in the same scene as another one I'd posted in the FB game earlier. It wasn't.)

Sa'ar Chasm 06-29-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Remember, Sa'ar's VOY quotient is [strikethrough]low[/strikethrough] infinitesimal
It's non-zero, but very small.

*pause*

Didn't this board used to have buttons for font effects?

Zeke 06-29-2012 07:44 AM

vBulletin is a flighty mistress -- that's why I've always allowed HTML. Use &lt;s&gt;.

Wowbagger 07-01-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 78604)
Nope. Remember, Sa'ar's VOY quotient is low.

Then let's go with DS9's greatest time travel hater: the Chief.

"Visionary." If it isn't that or "Past Tense" (I or II), I give up.

Sa'ar Chasm 07-01-2012 07:50 PM

That's the one, Visionary.

Thinking back on that episode, it's clear that the writers have absolutely no clue how causality works, and they threw in that "I hate temporal mechanics" line to lampshade the fact that the entire episode makes no sense.

Right, what's the next quote?

Zeke 07-03-2012 04:40 AM

Wowwwwwwbagger...

Hmm. Board needs a poke feature.

Wowbagger 07-04-2012 07:20 AM

WHOA. I got that right?

Yes, board much needs a poke feature. And I should probably just go ahead and make this thread my home page.

Next quote is... Hm.

"You people are even uglier than I remember."

NAHTMMM 07-04-2012 02:45 PM

Hmm. Clearly that's "Devil in the Dim", where the Mother Horta and Enterprise crew cross paths in a low-lit, smoky karaoke nightclub in the shady districts of Risa.

Or maybe it's the one where Riker is kidnapped and his mind messed with.

Wowbagger 07-05-2012 05:51 AM

Nope! But I really want to see that episode now. I assume it's TAS?

Zeke 07-06-2012 08:25 AM

Let's try Archer in "Azati Prime" again. Otherwise, it's probably an ugly alien talking about humans (Trek loves those little ironies). "Lonely Among Us"?

NAHTMMM 07-07-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowbagger (Post 78706)
Nope! But I really want to see that episode now. I assume it's TAS?

Actually, I just made that one up. But we should totally go back in time and convince someone to make it for TAS. And then go forward and get Gene Roddenberry drunk enough to allow it as canon.

Wowbagger 07-08-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 78730)
Let's try Archer in "Azati Prime" again. Otherwise, it's probably an ugly alien talking about humans (Trek loves those little ironies). "Lonely Among Us"?

It is Archer, but it's not "Azati Prime".

Quote:

Actually, I just made that one up. But we should totally go back in time and convince someone to make it for TAS.
I assume all nonsense Star Trek plots were, in some permutation of some universe, made into a TAS episode.

Zeke 07-08-2012 11:36 PM

Hmmm! "Through a Mirror, Darkly"?

Wowbagger 07-09-2012 01:43 AM

Nope! Right season, though.

Zeke 07-09-2012 01:56 AM

"Babel One" or "United"? Archer had seen a Tellarite before...

Wowbagger 07-09-2012 03:10 AM

"Babel One" it is, and a Tellarite it is! You're up.

Zeke 07-09-2012 03:58 AM

Let's go with a classic, one of the lines I've most often referenced in fivers: "Sometimes you just have to punch your way through."

Now to look up the context for that Archer quote, because I have no idea why he was being so rude...

evay 07-09-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 78793)
Let's go with a classic, one of the lines I've most often referenced in fivers: "Sometimes you just have to punch your way through."

Now to look up the context for that Archer quote, because I have no idea why he was being so rude...

Are you sure that wasn't Janeway talking about whipping Voyager through the twin pulsars at the end of "Scientific Method"? :)

Sa'ar Chasm 07-09-2012 05:09 PM

Or plowing into the giant space amoeba in that episode that I've actually seen?

Zeke 07-09-2012 09:28 PM

Did I miss a post here? I didn't say anything about where the quote was from, but you guys are all "Are you sure it wasn't from X?"

Sa'ar Chasm 07-09-2012 10:58 PM

I was just trying to guess, and ended up following evay's odd phrasing.

evay 07-09-2012 11:47 PM

And I was joking, you goof. :)

Wowbagger 07-10-2012 05:08 AM

It's either "Parallax" or "The Cloud." I think. Defs Janeways. Defs a quote I already used in the Facebook version of this game. :P

Zeke 07-10-2012 05:34 AM

No it's not. You used "There's coffee in that nebula". If you're gonna stick your tongue out at somebody, get your facts straight first.

The episode is in fact "Parallax", and it's such a perfect Janeway line that VVS9 used it as the quote on the new <i>Voyager</i>'s dedication plaque. (I thought that was a bit silly. Quotes should be properly aged.) "The Cloud" is the one Sa'ar's remembering, and the source of the coffee quote. Back in the day, one of the big VOY sites was called The Coffee Nebula for that reason -- hence my rather dated blurb for the episode.

Wowbagger's up next.

evay 07-10-2012 12:22 PM

OH, I finally figured out WTF is going on. Zeke wrote "I have to look up the context of that Archer quote," and he was referring to the quote about "You're uglier than I remembered," and somehow I connected that with "punch your way through" and thought that was the "rude Archer quote."

And since we're not allowed to Google, I read it and thought, "Gee, that sounds a lot more like Janeway." Which in fact it is.

Zeke 07-11-2012 06:27 AM

Aha! I thought it might be something like that. No, the Archer quote is the ugly one; turns out he said it because diplomacy with Tellarites is based entirely on insults. I loved S4, but the details didn't stick with me like they did in S1 and S3. Maybe it's fiver-writing that does it...

Wowbagger 07-11-2012 07:15 AM

That reminds me: when is my signed copy of Five-Minute "Zero Hour" coming in the mail? I've changed addresses since 2008.

"See you... out there."

Zeke 07-12-2012 04:38 AM

1) Announcement about that shortly. 2) I woulda thought your quote was a real softball, but since it's still hanging there: Q in "All Good Things."

"A reasonable diagnosis... for a security officer." It should be easy to guess who's saying this, so which episode -- and what's the comeback?

Zeke 07-16-2012 02:54 AM

Really, no takers? Maybe it'll help if I supply the comeback, which is delivered a few lines later: "A prudent security measure... for a doctor."

Sa'ar Chasm 07-16-2012 03:16 AM

Holodoc and Tuvok?

Zeke 07-16-2012 03:28 AM

Yep, them's the characters. You're not gonna get the episode any time soon (watch VOY already!), but maybe you'll give someone else an assist.

Sa'ar Chasm 07-16-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

You're not gonna get the episode any time soon (watch VOY already!)
I did. It hurt. Besides, it hasn't been off the air long enough for me to get into it.

I did finally watch all of Buffy and Angel over the last year, though. Woulda done Firefly too, but my computer didn't like the DVD.

evay 07-16-2012 12:50 PM

I'm pretty sure it's do with the Borg (the "prudent security measure" was slapping a force field around something), but it's been too long, and I don't own the eps to rewatch them.

Zeke 07-16-2012 06:21 PM

Yep, right species. So when did they have a (still-assimilated) Borg drone on the ship? There were only a couple of times, so if you can think of one, guess it!

evay 07-17-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 78941)
Yep, right species. So when did they have a (still-assimilated) Borg drone on the ship? There were only a couple of times, so if you can think of one, guess it!

I want to say it's the one where Holodoc's mobile emitter was assimilated and birthed "One." (I think that was the name of episode as well.) There wasn't much light-hearted banter at the beginning of S4, when Seven came onboard.

Zeke 07-17-2012 09:59 PM

'Fraid not. The quote isn't from "Drone" ("One" was the one with Seven running the ship alone, later remade as "Doctor's Orders"). And since you've actually brought it up now and dismissed it, I may as well reveal that it WAS Seven they were talking about, and this was in "The Gift" (her last episode prior to de-assimilation).

Let's go with another VOY quote just to annoy Sa'ar. "You're supposed to be OFF during your off-hours!"