The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stargate to be put opposite Enterprise?! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=635)

Pteryx 01-07-2005 06:49 AM

Stargate to be put opposite Enterprise?!

That's what the ad sounded like, anyway -- I'm quite sure it said that the new season of Stargate SG-1 is going to be shown on Fridays at 8 PM Eastern. :o Naturally, this is the last thing Enterprise needs; it's almost a given that Stargate will squash Star Trek's ratings like Power Rangers did SatAM Sonic's ratings when Fox pulled the same trick over a decade ago.

Why now? Just when Enterprise is beginning to actually turn out things like the near-perfect Forge three-parter... -- Pteryx

Alexia 01-07-2005 08:03 AM

This is in the US right? Because if it's in the UK I'm going to have to kill someone...

NeoMatrix 01-07-2005 01:57 PM

Time to get Tivo

Zeke 01-07-2005 04:40 PM

Bloody brilliant. This is just what the two most popular SF shows on TV needed: to compete with each other! Now both shows' ratings can suffer even more!

Did we learn nothing from "ENT opposite Angel" last year? Where only one show came out alive, and by the skin of its teeth?

MaverickZer0 01-07-2005 07:05 PM

ANd this time I have to decide between Stargate and Enterprise? And my VCR is as broken as my microwave....(minus the flames....don't ask)....I can't tape either one of them!

Which exec decided this? I want names, I want cities, I want addresses...

Waaaaaiiiiit.

Enterprise is on Saturday and Sunday, too. Whew.

Ginga 01-07-2005 11:57 PM

Re: Stargate to be put opposite Enterprise?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pteryx
it's almost a given that Stargate will squash Star Trek's ratings like Power Rangers did SatAM Sonic's ratings when Fox pulled the same trick over a decade ago.

Oh my God, I remember that. I loved SatAM because I loved the comics. :lol:

MaverickZer0 01-08-2005 12:14 AM

...I've never seen SatAM, but I wish I had. Now I can blame Fox.

Ginga 01-08-2005 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickZer0
...I've never seen SatAM, but I wish I had. Now I can blame Fox.

It was pretty good, but Princess Sally sounded all funny, like some prim and proper bitch, which... she... is now because Archie completely destroyed her character. DX She used to be all cool like Janeway. But not anymore. DX

...but unfortunatley she's being chaste and sacrificing a relationship everyone has waited for for years because saving her people is more important to her...

Just.
Like.
Janeway.

*screams*

</mini-rant>

I barely even read the comic anymore. I just collect it. :o And have done a damn good job of doing so, as I only need 3 more until I have all of them...

:o Okay, I'm done. :X

Pteryx 01-08-2005 03:45 AM

Yeah, the comic is a casualty of Sega's corporate interests. They don't understand SatAM, which was developed without a lot of input from them, but realize that it was popular -- but they want the magazine to be an advertising vehicle for their Sonic games at the same time even though it's not even in the same universe. Of course, the lack of attention to continuity by the creators and the fact that many different writers try to create many different disparate stories without paying attention to one another's doesn't help either.

Oh well. At least they hired J. Axer as an artist. -- Pteryx

Ginga 01-08-2005 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pteryx
Yeah, the comic is a casualty of Sega's corporate interests. They don't understand SatAM, which was developed without a lot of input from them, but realize that it was popular -- but they want the magazine to be an advertising vehicle for their Sonic games at the same time even though it's not even in the same universe. Of course, the lack of attention to continuity by the creators and the fact that many different writers try to create many different disparate stories without paying attention to one another's doesn't help either.

Oh well. At least they hired J. Axer as an artist. -- Pteryx

And dammit, J. Axer isn't even getting to do anything and we're stuck with this STUPID wacky anime artist who made issue #134 an absolute JOKE. I want J. Axer doing the main stories, but no. He gets stuck with the table of contents/summary page crap things. And now I'm not even seeing him on those anymore.

...by the way, don't even get me started on Mobius: 25 Years Later.

I should probably mention that I suspect I caught some slight Voyager references in issues #47 (...hm. I just realized that it was issue 47...) and #48. At least I think it was 48.

Rayinne 01-08-2005 04:59 AM

Yeah, back on topic, this is going to suck hard. It's rare enough I get to sit down and watch Enterprise without recording it, but with Stargate on at the same time?

Luckily for me my VCRs work...

richardson 01-08-2005 11:19 PM

Don't worry. As long as trekkies live, ENT should be fine, especially after I get done smiting SCI-FI and FOX. *Grabs the really, REALLY big hammer of smiting and goes channel smashing.* Plus, if what the rumors say are true, SG-1 won't stand a chance when shatner does an appearance.... [enable evil laugh] :twisted:

MaverickZer0 01-09-2005 01:28 AM

Hey, I happen to like Stargate. Not as much as Enterprise, but it's still damn cool. And it's Canadian, too.

richardson 01-09-2005 02:10 AM

Still, if it's in competetion with trek, IT HAS TO GO! :x

PointyHairedJedi 01-09-2005 02:49 PM

Eh, I figure if we conduct a few summary executions of network execs then they'll quickly get the idea that listening to their viewers is a good idea.

Chancellor Valium 01-10-2005 04:54 PM

I disagree with richardson - it's healthy competition - it's the in direct bit that I personally have a problem with :D

Alexia 01-10-2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardson
Don't worry. As long as trekkies live, ENT should be fine, especially after I get done smiting SCI-FI and FOX...
...Plus, if what the rumors say are true, SG-1 won't stand a chance when shatner does an appearance.... [enable evil laugh] :twisted:

Quote:

Hey, I happen to like Stargate. Not as much as Enterprise, but it's still damn cool. And it's Canadian, too.

I'm a die hard Trekkie, but I'll take Stargate over Enterprise any day. I would also watch Stargate: Atlantis over ENT any day as well. I love Enterprise but it no way keeps my interest as much as Stargate. For me, it wins hands down. And it's funny too...

The Shatner appearance? Almost enough to make me switch OFF! That man annoys me intensely :wink:

...and I have every episode of Voyager on tape and most on DVD :wink: Enterprise has gone downhill since it started trying to keep everyone happy. It lost it's focus I think. Still, you have to give it an extra slice of pie for Porthos alone :wink: :mrgreen:

Anonymous 01-12-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

ANd this time I have to decide between Stargate and Enterprise? And my VCR is as broken as my microwave....(minus the flames....don't ask)....I can't tape either one of them!

There's always the good-old ileagal download sites... :twisted:

Captain Proton 01-12-2005 04:59 PM

oops. forgot to log in...
that last one was me.

Gatac 01-12-2005 05:08 PM

BitTorrent is a live saver. And I personally don't feel I'm stealing...they only have to release my favourite series on DVD and I'll be right there in front of the queue to buy. There's serious marketting potential due to distribution via BitTorrent...too bad nobody seems to want to use it.

Gatac