The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   September 9 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=853)

Zeke 09-15-2005 12:41 AM

I know this may shock you, but most people's minds don't automatically run towards slash. If I hear about a half-Klingon, half-Cardassian, my immediate thought is not "OMG GARAK AND WORF HAD A BABY SQUEE."

Sa'ar Chasm 09-15-2005 12:48 AM

Quote:

but most people's minds don't automatically run towards slash.
Quite the opposite, in fact. You have to be nimble or you get trampled in the stampede.

Quote:

If I hear about a half-Klingon, half-Cardassian, my immediate thought is not "OMG GARAK AND WORF HAD A BABY SQUEE."
More like, "By all that's holy, what produced such a sin against nature?"

*grin*

evay 09-15-2005 01:10 AM

sigh. Sorry I tried to make a joke. I'll just stick to complimenting the fivers and not attempt other commentary.

whoiam 09-15-2005 01:54 AM

I'd have thought Gimli/Galadriel, myself...

Opium 09-15-2005 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter
As a half-elf, half-dwarf I carry both, ya know.

I didn't know Legolas and Gimli had finally figured out how to conceive...

Well, I got the joke...but then again, I love to read LOTR parodies. :D

Chancellor Valium 09-15-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoiam
I'll go for a triple 'ew'. And follow that up with a quadruple 'ew'.

And to top that all off, I need to go puke up for awhile, and then wash my brain out with soap. Lots and lots of Soap.

Sold to the nit in the brown paper trilby and yellow matter custard bow tie!
:mrgreen:

Anonymous 09-15-2005 09:46 AM

You people are very, very strange. Clearly the seminal pairing that would produce a half-Dwarf, half-Elf would be Arwen and Thorin Oakenshield. I would have thought that was obvious.

Scooter 09-15-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
You people are very, very strange. Clearly the seminal pairing that would produce a half-Dwarf, half-Elf would be Arwen and Thorin Oakenshield. I would have thought that was obvious.

Hm. Of course, in the case of my cousin, Fredifar Bolgerinuel the half-Elf, half-Hobbit, there are any number of possible pairings...

PointyHairedJedi 09-15-2005 01:19 PM

I know OT-ness is a common occurence here, but this is starting to get into the realm of the surreal. :shock:

Zeke 09-15-2005 08:59 PM

Quote:

sigh. Sorry I tried to make a joke. I'll just stick to complimenting the fivers and not attempt other commentary.

Whoa!

evay, do you honestly think anyone here was attacking you? This is perfectly normal forum banter. I'm sorry we (or just I) offended you. It was absolutely unintentional.

What I find offensive, on the other hand, is this implication that all I want to hear is praise for fivers. You know me better than that. Anything readers have to say, I want to hear -- and that goes double for my friends. How else am I supposed to know when I'm screwing up?

Opium: If you're implying that the rest of us didn't "really" get the joke because it referred to some LotR parody, can you let us in on it? I know well how much fun it is to catch something others miss, but now that you've said so, it's only fair to tell us what. :)

Opium 09-15-2005 10:23 PM

Zeke: I figured you all did get the joke, too. But there always has to be someone who's like, "Well, I got it because I *insert reason here*!" And many probably got that too, or not... *ominous music*

That being said...if you read enough LOTR parodies, good and bad, you realize that, hey, a lot of people won't go near L/G even in their parodies, and a lot will just imply that it'll never ever at all happen, and some then parody the fact that itL/G never happens, and some parody the parody of the parody, and....

it's a parody world, it is. Not enough pie, though.

(can yah tell I haven't read LOTR fandom in a while, and now have to cover up the fact that I can't find a good parody to recomend? )

:D

evay 09-16-2005 12:27 AM

No, I didn't feel attacked. ("I am familiar with human banter." -- Seven of Nine, "Equinox, Part 2") What I thought was an obvious -- and harmless -- joke in the LOTR fandom was apparently offensive to others, which was not my intention either. I did not expect that response from four people in a row.

mudshark 09-16-2005 02:02 AM

Skipping all the recriminations, u.s.w.: evay, got the joke -- I just laughed a little bit more at Zeke's "Ew" -- s'all fun. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opium
Not enough pie, though.

There's never enough. :roll:

Sa'ar Chasm 09-16-2005 02:32 AM

I declare as case of "No harm, no foul" on all sides and vote we go back to talking about whatever we were talking about before, most likely pie. Or cedar. Or lemmings.

Mmm, cedar and lemming pie. High in fiber. And fur.

Opium 09-16-2005 03:01 AM

I we were talking about something to do with the thing and and the stuff regarding those thingys.

Zeke 09-16-2005 03:57 AM

Nobody found your post offensive, evay. Several of us found it gross.

Quote:

"I am familiar with human banter." -- Seven of Nine, "Equinox, Part 2"

I'll see that and raise you a "Would you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing."

Chancellor Valium 09-16-2005 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Nobody found your post offensive, evay. Several of us found it gross.

Quote:

"I am familiar with human banter." -- Seven of Nine, "Equinox, Part 2"

I'll see that and raise you a "Would you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing."

Neuf a la 'zing'.

Alexia 09-16-2005 07:25 AM

Quote:

I know this may shock you, but most people's minds don't automatically run towards slash.

xD Proving I'm not most people :wink: :twisted:
Quote:

If I hear about a half-Klingon, half-Cardassian, my immediate thought is not "OMG GARAK AND WORF HAD A BABY SQUEE."

What the hell would that look like? xD I'm seeing artist impressions coming here...

*hugs evay* :mrgreen:

evay 09-16-2005 09:24 AM

I would mention Sev Trek's "Half-Klingon Half-Tribble" cartoon, but since everything on his fracking site went subscription, you can't see it any more. Of course, since almost everything on his site isn't funny any more, it's not such a big loss.

Alexia 09-16-2005 10:37 AM

I know. He totally ruined it when he changed the layout and moved the site a year or so ago.

I haven't been there since.