The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Out of shear bordom... The Random Books Thingy! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1047)

Lostoyannaya 05-01-2006 01:08 PM

Oh! I started reading Bill Bryson after we studied a passage of "Notes From a Big Country" in our GCSE exams! I really like his style and humour ^^. And in non-science fiction news...I also read Manga...>.>

~~Lostoyannaya :needsalife:

mark726 05-01-2006 02:34 PM

I've never been a huge manga fan myself. Something about the characters just kind of creep me out for some reason...

I'm actually in the middle of The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, and I'm quite enjoying it.

Lostoyannaya 05-01-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark726
I've never been a huge manga fan myself. Something about the characters just kind of creep me out for some reason...

I'm actually in the middle of The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, and I'm quite enjoying it.

At least you're not one of those people who assume all Manga is Hentai.

~~Lostoyannaya :wink:

e of pi 05-01-2006 08:46 PM

Well, I read it. The Da Vinci Code. Wierd book. Still processing. Will resume posting in complete sentences eventually.

Burt 05-02-2006 02:30 AM

I have to say, Manga creeps me out to! The wide eyes and stuff....
But I have read The Da Vinci Code, which I have to say was a great read, but possibly the worst written book ever! I've read all of Dan Browns books, and while I think he has some really great ideas and plots, his writing style is just painful! To Lostoyannaya, Have you read Bill Bryson's Down Under? Thats one of his good ones. Oh and his new(ish) one, 'A short history of everything. Good stuff!

mark726 05-02-2006 03:21 AM

I agree. I love the underlying history and whatnot that he incorporates, but the style itself just keeps you pumped up way too long. There's no lulls to catch your breath, and it can get *extremely* corny at points. Still, I'll probably re-read before I see the movie.

Lostoyannaya 05-02-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt
I have to say, Manga creeps me out to! The wide eyes and stuff....
But I have read The Da Vinci Code, which I have to say was a great read, but possibly the worst written book ever! I've read all of Dan Browns books, and while I think he has some really great ideas and plots, his writing style is just painful! To Lostoyannaya, Have you read Bill Bryson's Down Under? Thats one of his good ones. Oh and his new(ish) one, 'A short history of everything. Good stuff!

No, I haven't read that one...let me guess, it's about Australia right? Am I right?

And YES!!! Finally someone who agrees with me - Dan Brown's writing is painfully grammatically incorrect! As someone doing an A-Level in English language it's quite impossible for me to read Angels and Demons without having to take a break every few minutes. :wink:

I recommend The Darwin Awards for easy Doctor's-waiting-room reading!

~~Lostoyannaya

Chancellor Valium 05-02-2006 10:47 PM

The Necrotelicomnicon is a wonderful read...

PointyHairedJedi 05-02-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability
Okay, I'll talk about the Phantom Tollbooth. A true classic, in every sense of the word. You can enjoy it on any level you want to. You can be lazy and just enjoy the adventure or you can appreciate the cerebral humor. If you're a fan of puns you'll be deluged. If you like dry wit, it's there.

So, any other boothies out there?

Oh my, yes. A really excellent book - one you perhaps get more out of when you're younger, but it ages really very well unlike very many "childrens" books.

It's funny this topic should come up - I'm at this moment nearly finished reading The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson, possibly my second favourite novel of all time, and the one I got out of the library to read after is... Dune, which without a shadow of a doubt is my favourite. If you haven't read either, then what are you bally well waiting for?

e of pi 05-03-2006 12:55 AM

Wendy Northcut is a genius. If it were anything else, I'd want to win one of her awards. Oh well...

Chancellor Valium 05-03-2006 06:51 PM

Oolon Colluphid is well worth avoiding. His "style" will put anyone off reading. Aside from the immense inaccuracies he laces his books with.

Lostoyannaya 05-05-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
Wendy Northcut is a genius. If it we're anything else, I'd want to win one of her awards. Oh well...

You would not believe how long it took me to get that...:oops:

~~Lostoyannaya :wink:

PointyHairedJedi 05-08-2006 02:54 PM

I don't suppose there would be any chance of a hint for us hidiously uninformed people?

e of pi 05-09-2006 09:30 PM

Wendy Northcut created the Darwin Awards, thus, to win one, I would have to suffer a goodly bit of bodily harm.

PointyHairedJedi 05-10-2006 10:54 AM

It can be arranged.

e of pi 05-10-2006 02:28 PM

Thanks, but no thanks.

PointyHairedJedi 05-10-2006 06:51 PM

Oh, you are a spoilsport - I had the Haddock of Thwapping all warmed up and ready to go.

e of pi 05-10-2006 09:05 PM

Sorry.

Chancellor Valium 05-11-2006 02:34 PM

Lindsey Davis.

PointyHairedJedi 05-11-2006 08:14 PM

Oh, I love the Falco novels, though the ones I've read have been totally out of order so I've been left a little confused at times.