The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fiver By Committee (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Announcement (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1375)

Nate the Great 04-14-2007 04:18 AM

If we're gonna start on James Bond, I'd start at Dr. No and work up the list of official movies.

I'm also a firm believer that all three Indiana Jones movie fivers should have a unified "fivisterial vision," if I can coin a phrase. If the committee fives one, we should do all three.

Chancellor Valium 04-14-2007 12:25 PM

^The problem there is working in the yes/maybe/NO jokes...

Nate the Great 04-14-2007 05:28 PM

There's a can of worms I'm gonna keep locked in the safe until I have to deal with it...

Chancellor Valium 04-14-2007 09:55 PM

Also, it would be good to do so me Doctor Who episode title refs, in reciprocation...

MaverickZer0 04-15-2007 04:24 AM

Independence Day!

Because the movie is awesome and think of the Area 51 jokes.

Nate the Great 04-15-2007 05:23 PM

You should read Dave Barry's parodization of Independence Day. "The aliens, like every other lifeform in the universe, is forced to use the Windows operating system. In fact, the whole reason they have come to Earth is to destroy Bill Gates." Well, something like that, it's not an EXACT quote...

Zeke 04-15-2007 10:52 PM

I really like the Independence Day idea. It's a modern classic -- I have vivid memories of seeing it at the drive-in when I was 13. (There was a thunderstorm that night, and at the very moment the aliens opened fire, lightning struck. Talk about atmosphere!) It's also a perfect fiver target, what with tons of physics errors, Brent Spiner guest starring, and general silliness like the president leading a fighter squadron personally.

ijdgaf 04-16-2007 02:11 AM

Don't forget the dying leader, First Lady Roslin.

Nate the Great 04-16-2007 03:03 AM

I suppose my childish temper-tantrum of "but I want to have seen the movie this time!" belongs here.

AKAArzosah 04-16-2007 03:27 AM

Well go hire/buy it, quickly! If you've never seen it, it's totally worth it.

Nate the Great 04-16-2007 04:15 AM

Hire it? But I haven't even seen its resume yet! :)

Yeah, yeah, I know. Go to a movie rental place...

Gatac 04-16-2007 06:22 AM

Ooh, Independance Day! Totally up for that one. Let's do it!

Gatac

Nate the Great 04-17-2007 05:22 PM

Any reason why we can't have two concurrent comittee fivers?

We could even call them cocomvers. :)

PointyHairedJedi 04-18-2007 10:19 AM

Zeke's a busy fellow. I think that's reason enough.

Nate the Great 04-18-2007 10:40 AM

So Zeke annoints one of the other section heads to be moderator of the second fiver committee. No big whoop.

ijdgaf 04-18-2007 08:01 PM

Is this suggestion merely because you want us to do a FBC of a movie that you've actually seen?

I understand, to an extent, your opposition to spending a certain amount of money on a new video game console. The cost of such things isn't quite trivial.

But seriously. It costs five bucks to rent a movie. If you feel left out on this one, there's a cheap and easy way to remedy that. Since Independence Day (if that's indeed the movie we'll be doing) is a movie seen by a very significant percentage of forumgoers here, it's a good choice for FBC. It's out on VHS and DVD as well, so those who haven't seen it can easily play catch-up. I'd rather do Raiders or Jurassic Park, personally. But it's a pretty good choice in terms of cultural awareness, I must say.

Nate the Great 04-19-2007 01:49 AM

Yeah, but renting a movie automatically adds a time limit to how long you can draw material from it, and it's nice to have the source material handy. Well, actually, I could watch it once then work off of a transcript from the Internet, but...but...

Erm, I don't wanna? I'm incredibly whiny and stubborn? I don't want to get a movie rental membership (and the associated junk mail/telemarketing bait)for something this trivial?

Hejira 04-19-2007 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 73199)
Well, actually, I could watch it once then work off of a transcript from the Internet, but...but...

You could watch it as many times as possible, return it, then work off the transcript so it plays in your head or something.

Quote:

Erm, I don't wanna? I'm incredibly whiny and stubborn? I don't want to get a movie rental membership (and the associated junk mail/telemarketing bait)for something this trivial?
Looking through this thread, there's heaps of movies suggested that I haven't seen and probably never will. There's no one thing that everyone has seen, so some people are going to miss out regardless of the movie chosen.

Nate the Great 04-19-2007 02:18 AM

So I suppose the only thing to do is encourage a decision, encourage the fiving thereof (presumably as the cocomvers pass by we'll be able to do each one faster than the last), and wait to pounce when the right movie comes along.

AKAArzosah 04-19-2007 02:26 AM

Just because you don't know the movie doesn't mean you can't contribute to the humour.

How are you not already a member of a video store? How have you survived this long?