The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How about a little Star Trek: Season One? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=512)

ijdgaf 09-01-2004 04:48 PM

How about a little Star Trek: Season One?

While I suppose the demand for this (here at least) isn't going to be as high as for the other season sets that have come out, as a buyer, it's my obligation to start the damn thread anyway.

I ordered mine on Amazon yesterday. Should arrive sometime over the weekend :)

Derek 09-01-2004 05:17 PM

I will not be getting these since I already sunk a nice chunk of change into all 40 2-episode discs. Fortunately, the special features don't look like they're so nice that I'm regretting getting them.

PointyHairedJedi 09-01-2004 06:30 PM

I'd like to get it at some point, but there are about fifty bazillion things that are on the list before it, so I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.

Celeste 09-01-2004 06:34 PM

Yeah, gotta save up for the Star Wars Trilogy and ROTK:EE.

ijdgaf 09-02-2004 06:33 AM

I'll be getting Star Wars. As for RotK, i've already got my copy. The EEs just don't impress me much (though the extras do. good thing i have friends to borrow from).

However, Star Trek has me pumped. It's been a *long* time since Star Trek had me this excited. It's like discovering one's favorite series for the second time.

Zeke 09-02-2004 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijdgaf
However, Star Trek has me pumped. It's been a *long* time since Star Trek had me this excited. It's like discovering one's favorite series for the second time.

I'm looking forward to when I have that experience with Voyager. It's always fun to rediscover a series... I'm doing that now with seaQuest, which Space picked up and has been airing on Saturdays. I never missed an episode as a kid.

Nic Corelli 09-08-2004 01:23 AM

Season 1 was okay in my opinion, but the series didn`t strike me as anything except occasionally fun to watch until "Operation: Annihilate", the season finale. That was by far the best episode of the first season... tense, emotional, compelling. Then Amok Time aired and I fell in love with the series completely. Season 2 rocks, and I really liked season 3, too. ("Spock`s Brain" notwithstanding... though it wasn`t *that* bad :mrgreen:)

As for the DVD sets, I don`t plan to get them now, since I have almost all episodes recorded on video and the Curse of the Freezing DVDs is floating above me for years. But one day... of course. :mrgreen:

(though I hear a new digital media format, far far superior to DVDs, will emerge in a few years...)

admiral sab 09-09-2004 02:47 AM

I saw these and I wanted to buy them because the case was cool. But I want my Voyager DVD's so can't do it. Oh well.

BTW Nic, once again I've ended your attempt to dominate. Sorry.

ijdgaf 09-10-2004 05:59 PM

Season One is the BEST the series has!

Balance of Terror, The Corbomite Maneuver, City on the Edge of Forever, Tomorrow is Yesterday, Court Martial....

I'm sure I'm missing some other great ones too.

I may or may not buy the other series eventually, but this is a MUST BUY for me right now.

As for the new format, I'm not too worried. DVD is in, and I don't see its reign as being too short. Other stuff may come out, but DVD will be the preferred medium for probably another ten years or so. IMO, anyway.

ijdgaf 09-22-2004 02:24 AM

Just thought I'd update now that I've watched a few episodes.

Packaging: Super Awesome

Picture Quality: JAW ON FLOOR

Episode Quality: Ya'll should know how I feel there ;)

All in all, worth every penny.

Derek 09-22-2004 11:30 AM

Special Features?

ijdgaf 09-22-2004 05:37 PM

I haven't gotten to 'em yet. That's disc eight, and I've only viewed the first one.

It's awesome to see 30+ year old TV trailers for your favorite episodes though :)

ijdgaf 09-27-2004 11:50 PM

Okay, so I've seen the special features now.

They were interesting, and I actually did learn a few things I didn't know before (though I'm sure plenty of fans out there did).

I suppose there could have been more to the discs, but what we got was nice.

And whatever you've heard about the William Shatner Horse documentary is true. It's the most obscure, irrelevant thing I've ever seen. I was prepared to accept it as an "oh, actors have lives beyond Star Trek" deal, but instead got a crash course in horse breeds, moves, and potential olympic competition between horses. It was harder to understand than the worst Star Trek technobabble.

I haven't viewed the text commentaries yet, but I'm honestly not that interested in those. I would have much preferred vocal commentaries with people who worked on the show. :::shrugs:::

Of the actors interviewed, Nimoy is by far the most insightful. This I was not expecting, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Derek 09-28-2004 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijdgaf
I haven't viewed the text commentaries yet, but I'm honestly not that interested in those. I would have much preferred vocal commentaries with people who worked on the show. :::shrugs:::

I loved the text commentary on the TMP:DE DVD. It was insightful, informative, and nerdy all at the same time. It is partly for the text commentary that I purchased the other TOS SE DVDs even though I owned the original versions.

However, none of the later ones lived up to the first one. Oh well.

NAHTMMM 10-20-2004 12:48 AM

Just saw in the paper today that Season Two is set to come out November 2nd. This smells like a "distract the nerds from voting" ploy to me... :roll: ;)

ijdgaf 10-20-2004 05:46 PM

Ha! That hadn't even occurred to me!

Well, I'm voting absentee anyway, so I've got plenty of time to go out on November 2nd and pick up my copy.

The question is, who would the "distract the nerds" strategy be aimed towards? Are nerds generally more liberal or more conservatve? I never really thought of nerdom being all that partisan :shock: