The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Non-Star Trek Recommended Books (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=864)

Celeste 09-23-2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
(Animorphs is the most underestimated sf series ever)

I *love* animorphs! Nickelodeon did a tv series based on those books. But it was quickly canceled only a season in. I was so upset. lol

MaverickZer0 09-24-2005 12:42 AM

The TV series didn't really do as much justice to the books as it could have, though.
*has a stash of Animorphs books*

Chancellor Valium 09-24-2005 07:27 AM

LOL, very, very good choices, Zeke :D

The absolute favourite of mine, though, has to be 1066 And All That by WC Sellars and RJ Yeatman. An older work, but hilarious nonetheless :wink:

Opium 09-24-2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
I like a lot of sf authors, but my favourite has got to be Ray Bradbury. He was one of the first, and he's still one of the best. Go to your local used bookstore and pick up one of his short story anthologies -- you won't regret it.

Other authors I like, going for ones who haven't been mentioned so far: (snip)Agatha Christie, John Wyndham, Timothy Zahn, K. A. Applegate (Animorphs is the most underestimated sf series ever), Stephen Leacock, Robertson Davies, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy (the original soap opera writer), Neil Gaiman, Beverly Cleary, Jules Verne, L. Frank Baum, Donald J. Sobol (I loved Encyclopedia Brown when I was a kid), and Shakespeare, who really IS as good as he's made out to be.

Well, I'm an Agatha Christie reader. I love her mysteries-they're all well-written, better than fluff or light summer reading, but still casual enough to be fun to read anytime, anywhere. She also wrote some romance novels that are actually good, and not trashy, under the name Mary Westmacott.

I have to say that a great experiences is to read Shakespeare while applying it to an actual stage show.

Jane Austin really is a wonderful writer. If you can get through the first shock of reading very proper English, you'll have a dandy time.

For anyone interested in China, politics, world cultures, or journalism, should read Jan Wong's "Red China Blues" and "Jan Wong's China".

And of course, if one is a really sappy mood, they can always read Anne of Green Gables and the rest of the series. Wonderfully written, sweet, and nostolgic.

Erm...does anyone remember having to read a book in elementary or junour high about a boy and a girl who befriend each other. The girl is kind of a tomboy, and they create their own world in the woods behind their homes, and I remember there is a swing to get over a small stream to get to their "fort".

danieldoof 09-24-2005 09:52 AM

I once stumbled across haruki murakami (hard boiled wonderland) and I liked it very much

also like paulo coelho with Idontknowtheenglishtitle (der alchimist)

well douglas adams and terry pratchett speak for themselves
stanislav lem is quite okay

I just started tad williams otherland
lets see what this is like

so much for now
maybe more later :wink:

PointyHairedJedi 09-24-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danieldoof
stanislav lem is quite okay

Solaris was kinda surreal. I suspect it lost something in the translation though.

stripysox 09-24-2005 12:05 PM

Most of mine have already been said but I will repete John Wyndam because he was only mentioned once. Also:

Jostien Gaarder: not sure if that is the correct spelling but it's the guy who wrote Sophie's World. The Solitair Mystery is definately worth reading.

Those and most of the authers on Zekes list.

Anonymous 09-24-2005 05:49 PM

Melanie Rawn is another one of those sweeping epic politics fantasy writers. The two Sunrunner trilogies need character indexes just to keep everyone straight.

Gael Baudino is an acquired taste, tending to appeal to a particular audience niche, but powerful if you like that message. "Gossamer Axe" is more mainstream and one of my favorite books.

I just recently finished Carol Berg's "Transformations" and now I'm craving the next two...

stripysox 09-24-2005 08:03 PM

Oh! I would also like to add that if you don't mind books with lines like 'I know Germans, thier the devil for sticking to a plan.' then John Buchan is an entertaining auther. I epsecially liked The Thirty Nine Steps. I think if you liked the Famouse Five as a kid you would like it.

danieldoof 09-24-2005 09:13 PM

hey he was the one who wrote "im westen nichts neues"
erm mr. standfast??
we saw the movie in school ages ago

when we are talking about war
there is a good book by harry türck called "die stunde der toten augen"
erm "the hour of the dead eyes" in english?

MaverickZer0 09-24-2005 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opium
Erm...does anyone remember having to read a book in elementary or junour high about a boy and a girl who befriend each other. The girl is kind of a tomboy, and they create their own world in the woods behind their homes, and I remember there is a swing to get over a small stream to get to their "fort".

I think you mean Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Peterson. I have that one, but I haven't read it in a while.

stripysox 09-25-2005 01:13 AM

Yep, it is complete rubbish that was writen for war propaganda but strangely compelling.

Also, I totally forgot about Ruth Rendell. Ruth Rendell is good.

Opium 09-25-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickZer0

I think you mean Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Peterson. I have that one, but I haven't read it in a while.

I just searched Bridge to Terabethia on Wikipedia and that is indeed the book. I read it in grade 5, and for some reason it always stuck with me.

Oh, and Sophie's World, as mentioned by stripysox sort of, is a great read!

Chancellor Valium 09-25-2005 09:22 PM

A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn is quite good. It's all about a world where no-one moves from their couches at home, spend all their time in front of holoscreens, and take shots of drugs to change their emotions to appropriate versions, and what can happen when a free spirit is added to the mix...

KillerGodMan 09-25-2005 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripysox
Yep, it is complete rubbish that was writen for war propaganda but strangely compelling.

AHH! IT RETURNS! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

*KillerGM is aweful memories related to Bridge to Terabithia*

Also, I recomend the Bourne Trilogy by Robert Ludlum. Those books are T3h AWESOME!

whoiam 09-26-2005 01:30 AM

I think there's also a fourth one now.

Opium 09-26-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGodMan
Quote:

Originally Posted by stripysox

AHH! IT RETURNS! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

*KillerGM is aweful memories related to Bridge to Terabithia*

Wow...such a negative response to a book written for preteens and teens! When did you guys read it, and why do you hate is so :?:

BTW, if you haven't already, read 1984 by George Orwell. It's a must read.

PointyHairedJedi 09-26-2005 09:59 AM

^ Orwell's other novels also. I think you can onlyappreciate 1984 truly when you consider it in the context of the rest of his work. I must confess I've never read any of his essays though. Something I plan on getting round to eventually.

Opium 09-26-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
^ Orwell's other novels also. I think you can onlyappreciate 1984 truly when you consider it in the context of the rest of his work. I must confess I've never read any of his essays though. Something I plan on getting round to eventually.

I've read a few of his essays, and of course Animal Farm. I really should read some of his other works :D

PointyHairedJedi 09-26-2005 01:32 PM

Burmese Days and Keep the Aspidistra Flying are the two I'd recommend the most. There was actually a film adaptation of Aspidistra that was pretty decent. The fact that it starred Richard E. Grant in the lead role didn't hurt either.