The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   About the (eventual) skin (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=949)

Chancellor Valium 01-25-2006 07:27 PM

I think the Great One is referring to the fact that the GIMP is a memory hog like few others...

e of pi 01-25-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Following up on a comment from e of pi... arrrrgh. You're right.
Aren't I always? Wait, don't asnwer that.

Chancellor Valium 01-25-2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
Quote:

Following up on a comment from e of pi... arrrrgh. You're right.
Aren't I always?

GAH! Say that again, and you'll be exiled to Kalamazoo ('though you'll eat ham and eggs in Carolina), for forty thousand days.

:P

Zeke 01-25-2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
I think the Great One is referring to the fact that the GIMP is a memory hog like few others...

No, whoiam was right. I'm referring to the learning curve, which so far has been too steep for me to climb on a spare-time basis.

What does Gretzky have to do with anything?

e of pi 01-25-2006 10:43 PM

I gave GIMP a shot, but was utterly stumped. Unfortunately, my PhotoShop bias crippled me.

Xeroc 01-25-2006 10:45 PM

Actually, I'd say I like Photoshop the best so far, but Paint Shop Pro is quicker and more efficient for some tasks.

Scooter 01-26-2006 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
No, *this* is weird:

*(B||
___\\

A guy wearing a toque, ski goggles, and a scarf (although in this particular font the goggles look a little misshapen).
(also, ignore the grey line - it's to make things line up and I don't know what the background colour is.)
(I'm putting way too much effort into this.)

Looks like a power drill mounted on a counter to me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
What does Gretzky have to do with anything?

Or Gleason?

Sa'ar Chasm 01-26-2006 02:58 AM

Quote:

I'm referring to the learning curve, which so far has been too steep for me to climb on a spare-time basis.
I first read that as "space-time", which made me wonder just how much virtual mass GIMP has, and how dense it's packed.

e of pi 01-26-2006 04:16 AM

It's pretty dense. And since apparently all the smart people here, no offense to Zeke, have figured it out, I'm feeling rather dense as well.

Xeroc 01-26-2006 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
It's pretty dense. And since apparently all the smart people here, no offense to Zeke, have figured it out, I'm feeling rather dense as well.

Dense enough to create its own reasonably strong gravitational attractive force?

Zeke 01-26-2006 06:36 AM

He said as well, not gravity well.

Chancellor Valium 01-26-2006 08:59 AM

Are you sure? Are you sure what he said doesn't depend on your position in space-time (and when you last had lunch with Zaphod Beeblebrox)?

danieldoof 01-26-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
Dense enough to create its own reasonably strong gravitational attractive force?

hey you talking about me arent you? :wink:

Xeroc 01-26-2006 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danieldoof
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
Dense enough to create its own reasonably strong gravitational attractive force?

hey you talking about me arent you? :wink:

Well, I did use the singular form. ;)

Chancellor Valium 01-26-2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
Quote:

Originally Posted by danieldoof
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
Dense enough to create its own reasonably strong gravitational attractive force?

hey you talking about me arent you? :wink:

Well, I did use the singular form. ;)

Hole-y Moses, that's singularly awful. It's breached a new event horizon of craptitude.

PointyHairedJedi 01-27-2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
I first read that as "space-time", which made me wonder just how much virtual mass GIMP has, and how dense it's packed.

Actually, that would explain where all the dark matter is hiding rather nicely.

e of pi 01-27-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
I first read that as "space-time", which made me wonder just how much virtual mass GIMP has, and how dense it's packed.

Actually, that would explain where all the dark matter is hiding rather nicely.

Hmmm. Interesting theory. So it's in the color selector?

PointyHairedJedi 01-27-2006 10:06 PM

You'd think so, but no. That would be too obvious, you see.

e of pi 01-27-2006 10:10 PM

So where?

danieldoof 01-27-2006 10:13 PM

he could tell you but then he would have to kill you.....with PIE

Chancellor Valium 01-27-2006 11:57 PM

Sigh. The alpha channel options. Duh :roll:

e of pi 01-28-2006 04:29 AM

Ohhhhhhh. Right. Got it. :wink: Or at least I can pretend I do. :wink:

Zeke 01-28-2006 04:52 PM

I've redone the images -- they're now uniformly 300x200, and I hope you'll like the text better now. The seven of them can be seen together here.

e of pi 01-28-2006 06:31 PM

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. 8) <- What does this mean? :arrow: <What function does this serve? :mrgreen: <And this? Do I even need to ask?

Derek 01-28-2006 06:44 PM

Those images are bigger than before, aren't they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
:arrow: <What function does this serve?

You can use it in a number of ways:

:arrow: Bullet points
:arrow: Results in (i.e., λογο + ς :arrow: λόγος )
:arrow: "I'm with stupid" jokes
:arrow: Something to put in your :bow:
etc.

Hopefully that should clear things up.

e of pi 01-28-2006 07:39 PM

Oh. Okay. And the green thing?

Zeke 01-28-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Those images are bigger than before, aren't they?

Yep. It occurred to me that nobody has a smaller resolution than 800x600 anymore, and even that's getting rare.

Quote:

:arrow: Something to put in your :bow:
I should make an actual bow emoticon to punish you for that.

e of pi 01-28-2006 09:03 PM

I didn't get it.

Derek 01-28-2006 09:18 PM

Read it without the graphic.

Quote:

:arrow: Something to put in your :bow:

Chancellor Valium 01-28-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
8) <- What does this mean? :arrow: <What function does this serve? :mrgreen: <And this? Do I even need to ask?

No :P

Nice stuff Zeke :)

Zeke 02-01-2006 02:40 AM

I've added four new banners to the rotation. The full set is, as always, visible here.

Hmm... I think I'll switch B5 and Firefly's colour codes.

Derek 02-01-2006 03:11 AM

A Smallville one? Intriguing..... No. Wait. Boring. Pull off his kneecaps!

Zeke 02-01-2006 03:13 AM

But... but I kneed those!

Scooter 02-01-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
I've added four new banners to the rotation. The full set is, as always, visible here.

Looks like the Doctor is visiting the Mutara Nebula again...

Zeke 02-01-2006 05:21 AM

Which tells you it's not the Ninth Doctor, of course. It's London, Cardiff, or nothing with that guy.

What do you all think of the Smallville banner? It was the most difficult to come up with, because I don't want to start using actors. The S logo is from Superman Returns.

Xeroc 02-01-2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
What do you all think of the Smallville banner? It was the most difficult to come up with, because I don't want to start using actors. The S logo is from Superman Returns.

I think it looks fine! :D


The only thing is, on the Dr. Who and the B5 especially, the text is really hard to read.

Scooter 02-01-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Which tells you it's not the Ninth Doctor, of course. It's London, Cardiff, or nothing with that guy.

My own fiver quoted back at me. Sweet.
Quote:

the text is really hard to read.
Harry Kim: Wait, where am I? I can't read the banner.... I'm so confused!

PointyHairedJedi 02-01-2006 12:40 PM

There's a really excellent fan-made image of the TARDIS in the time vortex here - I don't know if it would be okay to use without asking, but I probably would just to be on the safe side.

Derek 02-01-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
What do you all think of the Smallville banner? It was the most difficult to come up with, because I don't want to start using actors. The S logo is from Superman Returns.

Looks good to me. Thanks for making it, Zeke.

Quote:

The only thing is, on the Dr. Who and the B5 especially, the text is really hard to read.
Maybe not hard to read per se, but it doesn't stand out. Maybe the lettering for those two should have white outlines and shadows instead?

Sa'ar Chasm 02-01-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Maybe the lettering for those two should have white outlines and shadows instead?
...or different colours...

*cough*

Aside from that, it looks great.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.