The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fiver By Committee (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Announcement (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1375)

Zeke 04-11-2007 09:02 PM

Announcement

I don't think I'm giving too much away if I announce that the Fiver By Committee will finally, FINALLY be published in this year's anniversary event. It was supposed to be in last year's, but the whole event was moved to this year for reasons of suckage.

Since that's still not for a while, I'm considering starting FBC2 early. It's high time we got another one going. We'll need a movie with enough popular appeal that everyone who wants to participate has seen it, or easily can. Any suggestions?

PointyHairedJedi 04-11-2007 09:29 PM

Why not aim for something big? I say we go for Blade Runner, or even 2001.

ijdgaf 04-11-2007 11:11 PM

Yeah, it needs to be something big enough that a vast majority of the forumgoers here are familiar with it.

How about Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or Jurassic Park?

I'd suggest Matrix: Reloaded, but it's not nearly as memorable and I'm sure everyone would love a chance to work with different characters.

Zeke 04-12-2007 12:13 AM

Yeah, not Reloaded. One FBC per franchise is plenty. 2001 and Jurassic Park are good examples of the sort of thing we're looking for; another would be, say, Terminator.

Once we have enough suggestions, I'll arrange a poll of the checklist variety, and we'll see what gets the most votes. (It's hard to narrow it down to one choice; best if people can just check off the ones they're familiar with.)

AKAArzosah 04-12-2007 04:18 AM

I may own Blade Runner, but I've never seen it.

Okay, suggestions: The Fifth Element, Armageddon, Independence Day, ET, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws.

Is there a Serenity Fiver anywhere?

Zeke 04-12-2007 05:10 AM

Sorry, Serenity is mine (and if it weren't, it would go to Jade or Derek -- whoever won the fight to the death). Those other ideas are good, though.

AKAArzosah 04-12-2007 05:38 AM

I figured that if there wasn't a Serenity fiver already then it was in the works.

Why do I feel like I've already read a Fifth Element Fiver? I couldn't see one on 5M.net, but has someone else somewhere on the net done one?

Zeke 04-12-2007 06:50 AM

Not on the net. I do have a submission for it (likewise intended for last year's event), but you could only have heard about that from the author or me, and I know I didn't blab.

I'm pretty sure that's the only other suggestion that's already spoken for, by the way. Not many movies are called, since only staffers can usually do so; if any more pop up, I'll try to flag them quickly.

Nate the Great 04-12-2007 07:00 AM

Hmm....a movie that a lot of people have seen...

Nothing's coming to mind except a request to NOT do a hardcore, niche movie this time.

AKAArzosah 04-12-2007 07:04 AM

My request is not to do ET (even though I suggested it) because I hate that movie. Why do people think the wrinkly little brownish alien is cute? WHY?

I like the Jurassic Park idea, myself.

Zeke 04-12-2007 08:46 AM

Nate, when you're in the minority on something, you don't have to like it, but it's no good denying it. In no way is The Matrix a "hardcore, niche movie."

Gatac 04-12-2007 01:12 PM

I'd like to vote for Terminator II.

Gatac

Nate the Great 04-12-2007 04:23 PM

What, minorities can't make requests? Pleas? Anguished screams?

I don't think ET is cute. Not at all.

I guess Jurassic Park is okay, even though it's been well over ten years since I've seen it.

My whole purpose behind the "please no hardcore" thing is that I don't like hardcore scifi and I wanted to actually play a role in this one. Sue a guy for wanting to contribute.

How about Indiana Jones?

Chancellor Valium 04-12-2007 08:39 PM

Uh...Dr. Strangelove?

PointyHairedJedi 04-12-2007 08:53 PM

^ Don't even joke about that.

TFE is mine, and hopefully it will see the light of say sometime reasonably soon. If it's published before Tron is however, I may have to track down Zeke and do bad things to him. I'm talking things that would make Barney the Dinosaur cringe, here.

I like the suggestions of Independance Day and Terminator, though I'm somewhat baffled at the description of The Matrix as hard SF.

Zeke 04-12-2007 09:12 PM

Nate, I had no objection to your point itself. It's well taken. I just don't see how it applies to The Matrix, which, for better or worse, was the most popular and successful sf movie in years. It made sci-fi hip for a while, the way Star Wars once did. That doesn't make it a good movie, but it made it a good choice for FBC. You were just an unfortunate exception -- there'll be one or two no matter what we pick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 73058)
TFE is mine

SHHH! PHJ will be so mad if you spoil people about that!

ijdgaf 04-12-2007 09:21 PM

Jaws has been called by me. But really, I've only written one scene and I'm not sure I want to keep it or not.

Celeste 04-12-2007 09:30 PM

I second Jurrasic Park or Indiana Jones. :)

Nate the Great 04-12-2007 09:36 PM

Where did I say Matrix is bad? I don't want to watch it, ever, but that doesn't necessarily imply "bad", just "it's not my style."

What's TFE?

AKAArzosah 04-13-2007 02:29 AM

You didn't actually say the Matrix was bad, just heavily implied it.

TFE: The Fifth Element

ijdgaf why don't we think about doing Jaws then, with your one scene set in stone? Or better yet, with your one scene highlighted with blinking text and a border and your name in neon lights, just to annoy everyone else.